Chapter 23 - Bissel Again

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Chapter 23 - Bissel Again

#21 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Scraping soot from his face and patting out some hair that is smouldering, Dieter pegs the one at 10 o-clock with a lightning bolt (from memory).

Lightning bolt [10d6] = 34
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#22 Post by Craigers07 »

Furuk - Fighter

Furuk fires another bolt at chimera 1.

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#23 Post by merias »

"Ow! Yer in fer it now!" Dandy yells, as he hurls Whelm at the Chimera he singed.

Whelm throw [1d20+6] = 9+6 = 15 damage [1d6+5] = 5+5 = 10

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by greyarea »

INITIATIVE baddies [1d6] = 3 party [1d6] = 4

Grimes runs at Chimera1 (2 o'clock) and webs the beast. The sticky strands cover it, holding it fast!
Dieter extends his hand and a stroke of electricity arcs between him and Chimera2. Saving throw [1d20] = 4 dmg [10d6] = 31 + [1d6] = 5 There is a smoldering hole in the ground where Chimera2 once stood. Chimera1 streams in anger.
Furuk xbow [1d20+2] = 13+2 = 15 strikes the Chimera with a bolt of his own dmg [1d8] = 3
Whelm leaves Dandy's hand and also strikes the enwebbed Chimera, the hammer flying back to the dwarf's mitt!
Castinus bow of doubling [1d20+3] = 12+3 = 15, [1d20+3] = 14+3 = 17 (autopilot) follows with two shafts of his own dmg [1d8] = 6 dmg [1d8] = 8. The screams stop as the other Chimera slumps to the ground.

A dead chimera is in a web and another smoulders in the centre of blackened earth.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order
Grimes 50/69
--Dandy 24/40 < Cure Light Wounds x7,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead, flame strike >
Castinus 23/39
--Furuk 62/78
Dieter 26/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Lightning Bolt , Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >
--Acquaire

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

It would have preferable to have a bit of a chat with them versus this end. Dieter will say with a shrug. Onward.... or do we rest here for tonight?

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#26 Post by tumblingdice »

Castinus pats out the flames on his leather armor. "Not sure what they would have had to say," the thief says in reply.

Oc: arrow deducted
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#27 Post by greyarea »

As the party discusses what to do, a small group of men approaches from the wooded area. They have an aura about them of peace and a certain... "oneness" with nature. A man, obviously the leader approaches you.

Actions?

Grimes 50/69
--Dandy 24/40 < Cure Light Wounds x7,Bless, Hold Personx2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r,Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead,Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious woundsx3,Raise dead, flame strike >
Castinus 23/39
--Furuk 62/78
Dieter 26/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Lightning Bolt , Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >
--Acquaire

OOC: Welcome Zhym as Ulster Maidinros. We'll get you in soon, GreyWolfVT

tumblingdice
Ranger
Ranger

#28 Post by tumblingdice »

"Hello there," Castinus greets the newcomers. "You're not, um, missing a pair of 3-headed beasts perchance. Are you?"
These are ghouls. They hang out in graveyards, they have long tongues, and they eat people.
"Oh, well, that could be helpful!"
--my five-year old daughter

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#29 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes shakes his fist at Castinus "C'mon, man! I wanted to poke that damn thing!" Then he smiles and walks over toward the carnage, just examining the beasts.

As the newcomers approach, he cautiously watches them from a distance.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Three of the men stand warily to the side as the fourth approaches the party. He is a large man with wild, curly black hair and a bushy beard. He carries an beautifully carved wooden staff bound in bronze and wears a grey robe. Or is it brown? No, maybe it's silver. Green? Maybe all of the above. Or none. It's hard to look at if you stare too long.

He smiles congenially at Castinus's question. His beady dark eyes twinkle. "Nope, don't miss them at all," he says. "Nasty, unnatural things."

The man offers a paw-like hand—short fingers, meaty palm, with a patch of hair on the back so thick it looks like he's wearing half a glove. "I'm Ulster. These are Merle, Haggard, and Moe. We heard you fighting. Came to see if you needed help. Guess not."

"So," he asks, "What brings you here?"

merias
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#31 Post by merias »

Dandy nods, "Nice ta see a friendly face fer a change. I'm Dandy, me 'n my companions, we're headed back ta Bissel after a long spell o' savin' the world. We could be usin' a rest." He takes Ulster's hand, giving it a firm shake. "Now if ye'd like ta wait here a bit, I've got some duties ta tend to..." Dandy moves off, examining each of his friends in turn and offering healing where needed.

CLWx2 and staff of healing for Castinus, Dieter and himself. CLW and staff on Furuk. CSW and staff on Grimes..

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

Ulster shakes his head. "World isn't saved yet," he says. "Lots of things need warm and light to live. They don't like it when the sun goes to ice. It'll take a long time to fix what went wrong. That's why Merle, Haggard, and Moe are here. I sent them to help heal the land."

He points to the chimeras. "That's why I'm here. After the ice sun, the Land told me that such monsters and worse were about, upsetting the Balance. Birds told me of a great metal fortress that came out of the hills during the darkness. I sent two of my best initiates to find out more. They never came back." He sighs. "That's why I set out here myself. To go to the metal fortress and stop it from sending monsters into my Land."

"Is this the first such monster you have fought here?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Many thanks Dandy. Dieter will say patting his old friend on the shoulder.

Well met Ulster, Merle, Haggard, and Moe. I am Dieter.... you have met Dandy and Castinus. That's Grimes, Furuk and Acquaire. We just killed a vampire up the hill that was protecting the item that was keeping the lands frozen. Had to call for divine intervention, all that... he takes the time to scratch his butt a bit. In the process, Grimes and Castinus were killed by a very potent soul sucking sword. To get them back we had to destroy the sword, but the magic behind the sword was a malevolent demon. We made a deal with him, restoration of their souls if we recover an item for him. In some kinda spell ship wreck. So... were on our way to Bissel to spend money and get drunk I would think... and then off to this wreck to make good on our deal. You all look like you got your heads screwed on decent, join us. There will not be a dull moment.... Dieter will say with a smile.

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#34 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Halfling on the Edge

Grimes strolls forward, stopping short of the newcomers. He leans heavily on Wave and says "Howdy there! Grimes Stoutfoot, Champion of Poseidon, at your service! We're gonna check all this out, but I'm needin' to stop in Bissel for some supplies...." and he snorts and says quietly "and a bath." He bows politely and points toward his Siren squeeze Acquire and says "And this beautiful lady is Acquire."

Grimes is all for checking out the metal thingamabob, but wants to hit Bissel to gloat over the smug powerful dudes, and to try to get some armor.

Craigers07
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#35 Post by Craigers07 »

Furuk - Fighter

"It's nice to meet you Ulster."

"We are all looking forward to reaching Bissel. Should we continue on or does everyone feel like resting again?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

Ulster gives the group a long look. "You are not dressed like sailors. And aren't you a little far from the sea to be looking for a shipwreck?"

spanningtree
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by spanningtree »

Dieter - Mage

Ja, from the little we were told it may not be a water bearing ship. Perhaps a spell ship that takes to the air. With a slight shrug. Perhaps one that can travel the planes.... similar to how this band came to this world. But, after some discussion, we decided dressing the part of sailors would be too presumptive and decided to investigate as you see us now. Dieter says grinning.

greyarea
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by greyarea »

As the party exchanges information with the new druid, they continue the way to Bissel. By eve, the foothills give way to a long slope and you can hear the sea and smell the spray.

random encounter [1d6] = 5

The red sunset illuminates the beach as you approach. And while you hear gulls and other beasts of the shore, you are undisturbed.

heal Castinus [3d6+3] = 12+3 = 15
heal Dieter [3d6+3] = 11+3 = 14
heal Dandy [3d6+3] = 13+3 = 16
heal Furuk [2d6+2] = 10+2 = 12
heal Grimes [3d6+3] = 10+3 = 13

Actions?

Grimes 63/69
--Dandy 37/40 <Bless, Hold Person x2, Find Traps, Augury, Silence 15'r, Glyph of Warding, Remove Curse, Dispel Magic, Speak With the Dead, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Cure serious wounds x2, Raise dead >
Castinus 38/39
--Furuk 74/78
Dieter 40/42 < Magic Missile x 2, Otiluke's Smoky Sphere, Sleep, Auditory Illusion, Continual Light, Flaming Sphere, Stinking Cloud , Fireball, Monster Summoning I, Slow, Charm Monster, Evard's Black Tentacles, Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer, Monster Summoning III , Otiluke's Radiant Sphere, Teleport >
--Acquaire

badams30
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#39 Post by badams30 »

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes nudges Acquire. "Looks better than the icy mess it was last time, eh?" Grimes figures now is as good a time as any to pause by the seaside and say a quick prayer to Poseidon.

Once that's done, he'll look to gather some wood for a fire. He'll also approach the edge of the sea and see if he can communicate with any sea creatures, asking them if anything not so nice is nearby, or if they've heard anything of this metal beast or monsters.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

As the party prepares to set back out again, Ulster turns to Merle, Haggard, and Moe. "Go on with your work. I will join these people and seek the metal fortress. Send me a bird with updates every half moon phase." He folds his hands and bows slightly to the trio. "May your misfortunes not outweigh your merriment." With that, he joins the party on its way to Bissel.

When the party reaches the sea, Ulster looks on curiously as Grimes speaks of talking to sea creatures. "You can speak with animals of the sea?" he asks. "You do not appear to be of the order. How do you do it?"

I didn't realize we were so close to the sea—so maybe Ulster would expect the party to be looking for a shipwreck in the sea!

Also, what is the "metal beast?"

Return to “Skull Mountain (LL/AEC)”