Everyday Life in Beachtown

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#1541 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

"They certainly made those dwarves powerfully angry. I think we can play it casual at this point, though. Leave the plank here and just walk along the coast until we find a trail north. The only sensible direction for the others to go is west, so hopefully we can link up with them in the jungle before nightfall."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1542 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

“Agreed, the dwarves were in full bully mode in me but when they got their nose hit they knew how to fight back. I agreed we should head west but I do not want to camp in the jungle alone. If it comes to that we need to be close enough to the beach to camp there.”

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1543 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

"Agreed. We will need to reserve sufficient time to collect wood for a suitable fire to last the night. The flames and smoke would control the insects enough to be tolerable."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1544 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

“Makes sense - let’s go.”

I love it two spellcasters without spells - let’s head out into the jungle - what could go wrong? :shock:

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1545 Post by Quonundrum »

Normally, yes, a very bad idea, but I get the impression that we really should find that trail.

:D

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1546 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Pay no mind to that guy in the striped hat at the front of the train. :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1547 Post by OGRE MAGE »

The pair of spellcasters without spells drops the plank and heads west along the edge of the jungle.

After walking up the beach, away from the old town for a short distance, they don't believe they are being followed.

Eventually they find a small path that leads north into the thick jungle. The path is tight and doesn't look well used, but it does look like the area pointed out to them by Randall.

The natural noises from the jungle are more prevalent here, and a few human sized footprints can still be found in the sand around the trail.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1548 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andronichishche draws his dagger and locates a nearby bamboo stalk and carefully cuts it at the base. He then prunes the length so that it's about seven feet in length and hefts it with one hand, checking its balance. "Quite useful, these are." He remarks offhand. "Whoever blazed this trail may have left snares for any curious dwarves." Prodding the path before him, he leads the way along the trail into the jungle.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1549 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

"Looks like a great idea, I often use my staff for much the same. Since we are clear of the dwarves for the moment, perhaps you could tell me more of Rao? I would like to hear some of his philosophies and teachings."

Feel free to role-play this as detailed or high-level as you like.

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1550 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

"Oh, yes, certainly! I believe you will find that your own philosophy and methods are quite similar to Raoan doctrine, the basis of which is peace, reason and serenity. You see, Rao teaches us that the greatest gift is reason, which leads to discourse, which leads to peace, which leads to serenity. His worship was brought to the Flanaess by the Flan people, as was that of Pelor, incidentally, whom Lerrick serves."

"Actions must be governed by reason and wisdom, or we risk ourselves being influenced by strong emotions and neglecting discourse for violence in resolving disputes. We do not shy away from conflict though, but such action must be approached slowly and with caution ... and, if necessary, conducted with implacable determination to restore peace."

"Regrettably, though most common people recognize Rao, they prefer to actively engage in worship of those deities whom have a more direct influence on matters of life, such as the sun god Pelor. Scholars, diplomats, philosophers, sages, and the ruling nobility are among the majority of Rao's primary aspirants."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1551 Post by OGRE MAGE »

While the pair discuss their beliefs, Andron pokes ahead along the trail with a prepared 7 foot section of bamboo as they walk.

Just as he starts to comment on the items usefulness, he strikes a circled vine on the forest floor that quickly cinches around the end of the pole, tightening up around the shaft and yanking it from the priests hand.

His pole now hangs from a nearby tree branch in what appears to be a simply constructed spring trap, though it would be easy enough for him to cut down again.

Actions?

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1552 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath thinks deeply about what the half-elf said. "You are right in that I believe through magic some of the so called non-civilized races we can have discourse, peace and serenity and from that I see respect being required since am forcing the reason on to them." After that the branch is ripped from Andron hand and Torbath is snapped back to the jungle. "More on that later. I think it would be wise for us to reset the trap and keep looking for additional traps."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1553 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andronichishche was opining on Raoism when his probing tripped the concealed snare trap. His hands were only loosely holding the bamboo pole, and so was completely unprepared for the rope ripping it from his grasp. He stands there looking up in curiosity at the now hanging pole. "Indeed. I have no experience setting snares though, and am just as likely to ensnare myself first."

Andron draws his dagger from its belt sheath and works on cutting down his pole. He then shrugs as he reviews the trap and how it was strung. "You're welcome to try, but ... I'd advise against it." He finishes probing the primitive trap and begins sweeping the trail before them again. This time with a much firmer grip on his stiff and quite lengthy pole.
Last edited by Quonundrum on Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1554 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath thinks he is somewhat intelligent, he get both men past the trap and then will give himself a minute to figure it out and see if he can reset the trap if that fails he will reset the vine at the bottom but not make it actually do anything.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#1555 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After looking over the crude trap while his friend retrieves his pole, Torbath assures himself that he could probably reset the snare.

After catching his hand and arm in the loop several times, he finally applies the correct amount of pressure on the trip mechanism to keep the vine in place where it was.

Not really sure if it will work again or not, the pair doesn't encounter any trouble while they play trappers in the dark, buggy jungle.

The tight trail continues on to the north.

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1556 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

"Let's continue to the north to met back up with the group."

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1557 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

He looks over Torbath's shoulder while the human mage fiddles with the snare. "Nicely done. After my experiences with traps on Minotaur Island, I concluded it best that I leave them to those more mechanically inclined." With the trap potentially reset, he leads the way again up the narrow trail, probing the ground as he did before with the bamboo pole.

"Oh, I almost forgot, about Randall ... well, him or the tree ... let me explain. I recently developed a spell that allows me to detect the presence of intelligent thought. I tested it below the tavern, expecting to sense the patrons inside. I sensed several above in the tavern and their general location. It was then that my mind was overwhelmed by the presence of an extremely strong intellect which quite literally knocked me unconscious briefly. I have no idea where it came from."

"However, have you ever wondered where the tree came from? A large deciduous tree growing on a beach, on a tropical island, at the edge of a jungle? I am certain what I sensed is the tree, something in the tree, or perhaps Randall, himself. I asked Miss Tlachtga and she was unable to find anything unusual with tree, except for its location, of course."

"If Randall knows of this intelligence, I am not entirely sure, but I suspect that he does. He is rather defensive when asked about the upper platform though, which he says is just used for storage. You also saw how unconcerned he is about the dwarves, until there was the prospect of them coming to the tree."

"Whatever it is seems harmless, at least to those who mean it no harm, and I haven't had any moral or ethical reason to go poking around without his permission. I trust your judgement and thought it is something of which you should be aware."

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1558 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

Torbath plants his staff a little harder as he walks, perhaps a tell that he is thinking. He says "Not knowing the full details of this spell you created, I have a few questions.

(1)Do you know what from the spell can cause you to fall unconscious?
(2)I am assuming you were not out long since other than the time I was bullied, I was right behind you and you were already in the tree when I got there.
(3)What is the range and directionality of your spell - is there any chance an area other than the tree could lead to this?

As to how it got there, I have to admit I did not think about it - but you are right in most trees in the jungle are evergreen and not deciduous - something that Tlachtga would know much better than I.

I do agree that I thought Randall acted strange, but since it was the first time I meet him I passed it off to that. "

Quonundrum
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1559 Post by Quonundrum »

Andronichishche

Andronichishche was a bit surprised that somebody actually wanted to hear about his research, given his usual audience, that is. "Oh, no, I did not test the spell today, that was a few days ago. Nothing in the spell itself should cause unconsciousness, but I recently discovered the nature of the magic that it's based on does expose oneself to psionic detection by those capable of such. I should explain ..."

He then begins to opine in one incredibly long unbroken sentence as he describes the theory behind what he calls Psionitropic magic. A hybrid of arcane and psionic theory. When he relates the inspiration for his research though, he sounds even more disconnected and his eyes seem to unfocus. It's rather difficult to follow, something about a black pit, that's not really a pit, or maybe it is? At this point, he becomes almost incomprehensible, but the topic definitely touches on time, infinity, chaos ...

After a few minutes, he suddenly segues into the specifics about the spell itself and the odd tree supporting Randall's tavern, his elocution sounding quite normal again. "... therefore, given the spell's range, whatever is was must have been in the tree, or the tree itself. The tree is certainly not of the local flora, so naturally it is a prime suspect."
The Psionitropic Matrix

A psionitropic matrix is a pseudo psionic arcane interface that binds to the neurons of the caster's brain, enabling spell effects resembling true psionic abilities. Psionitropic magic is not in itself a distinct school of magic, but acts as a meta overlay to a traditional spell's foundation school (e.g. Psionitropic Divination).

Psionitropic spells typically require only a somatic component. This is comprised of precise finger placements on either side of the cranium to activate the neural axons utilized by a specific matrix. A direct interface into the language center of the brain provides an equivalent verbal component without true vocalization. Material components may be used to refine and amplify brain signals, provide an adjunct external matrix, or other ancillary and supporting functions.

Due to the innate instability and inefficiency of a Psionitropic-brain interface, an exceptional intellect and discipline of thought is essential to successfully establish a functional matrix. Intelligence and Wisdom ability scores of no less than 16 are required to cast psionitropic spells.
Empathia Cogitatus (Psionitropic Divination)

Level: 1
Range: 0
Duration: Instantaneous
Area of Effect: 2'' + 1/2''/level radius sphere
Components: S
Casting time: 1 round
Saving throw: None

Upon casting the Empathia Cogitatus spell a psionitropic matrix is bound to the caster's brain that detects and amplifies the psychic energy emitted from cognitive thought. The magic-user is instantly aware of all creatures within the area of effect that possess at least Low (5-7) intelligence(*). The intelligence rating per creature is known along with its general direction and distance from the caster. This includes invisible, hidden, or out of phase creatures, but excludes those ethereal or astrally projected. Creatures unconscious, stunned, in stasis, or otherwise unable of cognition are also not detected.

Intelligence and Wisdom ability scores of no less than 16 are required to cast this spell.

(*) Per Monster Manual (page 5):

0 Non-intelligent or not rateable
1 Animal intelligence
2-4 Semi-intelligent
5-7 Low intelligence
8-10 Average (human) intelligence
11-12 Very intelligent
13-14 Highly intelligent
15-16 Exceptionally intelligent
17-18 Genius
19-20 Supra-genius
21+ Godlike intelligence

gurusql
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#1560 Post by gurusql »

Torbath

"Be sure you focus on the pole. I am going to need a safer place to fully digest what you have just said." The mage pauses for a moment like to heard something, but then continues, "I wondered why Randall was staying at the Treehouse whenever else was gone. I thought that he has a truce or something on the dwarves or he has something that can protect him. Having a truce or something on the dwarves would not explain the psionic attack you describe. That would mean either he has the power, the tree does and he can use it or there is someone or something in the tree. If it was a power of Randall alone, he still could have left so that seems unlikely. So it would have to be the tree, or something else that cannot move. What if it is something done by Melania.? I have always had a theory on the relation between Medusa and Illithid . . ."

Return to “Completed Missions”