Everyday Life in Beachtown

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Everyday Life in Beachtown

#21 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

"I was hoping to pick a spot and find a foreman to start the process today, I think I swing the first weeks costs so it be started as we work on the little undead problem."

ChubbyPixie
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by ChubbyPixie »

Urson wrote:Luther

Alright, but you gotta understand, I'll be away most of the time- and I really ain't much for construction. I wouldn't want ya to think I was bein' a leech. 'Fore we get too involved, I gotta find that Chauncey fella.

Finding the 'Adequate', Luther says, One thing about those walking dead: The one I followed didn't escape into the trees- he disappeared like he'd never been there. You may have some decoys to deal with, too.
Chauncey talks to Luther on he way to the Treehouse. "Disappeared, you say...? Hmmmmm. A mystery that bears investigating, yes. Thank you, sir." With that he heads for the ladder and begins climbing. Not well. Where is a good Levitation spell when you need it?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#23 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:Brufrig Granitesunder

Sold! Brufrig will count out 8 gold pieces, placing them on the counter in front of Nalissa.

That sounds like a good idea, Ferris. I would appreciate the company, and if we can find something to eat, that bucket will come in handy. If you are ready, we can get the bucket and head out now.
This is great. Just give me some kind of unofficial announcement about who will lead, who is all going, where you plan to go, and when you are thinking about returning and I will start a new mission thread. Thanks!

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#24 Post by Scott308 »

Brufrig Granitesunder

Before heading out to find the grey ooze, Brufrig will stop at the shack that Chauncey invited him to stay in, in order to drop off some excess gear that he does not believe he will need on this expedition. He will drop off all his rations except one iron and one standard. He will drop off his rope, his bedroll and his set of clothes. He will also make a quick attempt to find Sally, but will not delay the journey to do so.

Brufrig will lead, Ferris is the only other person going, unless there is someone else interested in going and runs into us on the way to pick up Ferris' bucket. We're going to head down the beach to the stream and beyond in search of the grey ooze. We will return later today.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#25 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Scott308 wrote:Brufrig Granitesunder

Before heading out to find the grey ooze, Brufrig will stop at the shack that Chauncey invited him to stay in, in order to drop off some excess gear that he does not believe he will need on this expedition. He will drop off all his rations except one iron and one standard. He will drop off his rope, his bedroll and his set of clothes. He will also make a quick attempt to find Sally, but will not delay the journey to do so.

Brufrig will lead, Ferris is the only other person going, unless there is someone else interested in going and runs into us on the way to pick up Ferris' bucket. We're going to head down the beach to the stream and beyond in search of the grey ooze. We will return later today.
Cool!
The river that I think you are speaking of is actually to the East. The rumor is that the grey pits are to the West.

There is still time to join if anyone else would like to go along for the walk.
:D

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan

Raythan starts asking about town for a construction worker. Starting the process. Dragging Luther along for show if he is willing. "Luther, care to find somebody to build for us?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#27 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Raythan asks around as to who does the magnificent carpentry work here in town. He is told by several townsfolk that a guy by the name of Owen does most of the building for Mr. Nehru. If he's not nearby constructing a shack, he can usually be found up in the Treehouse, spending his earnings on rum.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by tkrexx »

Lightfinger tries to make himself look presentable.

He dusts himself off and scowls when he realizes this humidity is playing hell with his curls. Finally satisfied, he strolls leisurely thru what might be the heart of any real village, nodding and smiling in greeting to anyone he may meet. He's trying to catch sight of the Geezer he "saved" during the Zombie raid. The only Halfling on the island can remain inconspicuous for so long, however, this he understands. So in failing to locate his quarry, he'll saunter to that general mercantile establishment he noted earlier. What was its name, "Li-Hi?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#30 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35 wrote:Wes

"Right, I'm heading over to those big buildings across the trail. See if anybody knows anything more about these monkoons". Then he descends to the ground.

On his way over to the large buildings, Wes stops to take a quick look at the pile of logs stacked at the end of the trail. He tries to see if there is anything special about them that would make the trees so attractive to loggers.

Once over by the buildings, Wes looks around for anybody to talk to about the monkoons, their behaviour, and how often they come into Beachtown. He also takes a general look at the living conditions of these folks. Are the buildings overcrowded? Is anybody sick? Is anybody trying to grow food?
Not exactly loving his drink, Waesfaren decides to take his leave of the others to go around and gather information.

The logs are interesting. It is a species of wood that the druid is unfamiliar with. The grain is dark and extremely dense. There is a thick brown sappy substance exuding from the cut ends of each log that is slowly pooling in the sand. You also notice that the cut ends are all facing away from the sea and elevated naturally by the lay of the land.

Wes continues along on his walk. He is mildly relieved when he spots areas behind the larger buildings where gardens have indeed been started. They aren't overly large, but at least it's a start. After studying the layout of the area, Wes believes that the community will need far more land cleared and farmed before any long term survival here can be successful.

From the actions of the people milling around, Wes can easily ascertain that the two large square buildings are the community barracks. There are people doing laundry and tending the gardens, along with most other things you might see in a small camp. The long building further inland seems to be vacant.

Poking his head inside, he sees that both of the housing units are fairly crowded, with some areas sectioned off for the larger families. There are a few folks still in their beds that are currently down with the sickness and one bloated man who seems very near to death. The victim of a poisonous frog bite, you later learn. The smell of sickness, dampness, and body odor assails your sinuses, but the rooms seem to be kept fairly clean and free of clutter. Though not exactly deplorable conditions, the druid is glad he opted for the shack.

Anyone in particular you'd like to speak with?

maps

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#31 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote: Walking toward the beach, he keeps his eye on the man. As he approaches, he hails the man, "Owen? I'd like a word with you."
Owen is a large man with heavily callused hands and yellowed, bloodshot eyes. He doesn't seem embarrassed in the least to be doing his washing in only his tiny undershorts.

"Yes. I am Owen. Who are you? What you want?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Nuke66 »

"The name is Raythan, I have a proposal for you. I want to discuss your employment in constructing a building for me."

Leaning on his staff, "I have some ideas but would like yous as well."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#33 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Owen

"Yes sir! I'm the guy who builds the shacks!

He finishes up with his washing as he talks.

"Where were you thinking of building this building?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Jernau35 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:
Not exactly loving his drink, Waesfaren decides to take his leave of the others to go around and gather information.

The logs are interesting. It is a species of wood that the druid is unfamiliar with. The grain is dark and extremely dense. There is a thick brown sappy substance exuding from the cut ends of each log that is slowly pooling in the sand. You also notice that the cut ends are all facing away from the sea and elevated naturally by the lay of the land.

Wes continues along on his walk. He is mildly relieved when he spots areas behind the larger buildings where gardens have indeed been started. They aren't overly large, but at least it's a start. After studying the layout of the area, Wes believes that the community will need far more land cleared and farmed before any long term survival here can be successful.

From the actions of the people milling around, Wes can easily ascertain that the two large square buildings are the community barracks. There are people doing laundry and tending the gardens, along with most other things you might see in a small camp. The long building further inland seems to be vacant.

Poking his head inside, he sees that both of the housing units are fairly crowded, with some areas sectioned off for the larger families. There are a few folks still in their beds that are currently down with the sickness and one bloated man who seems very near to death. The victim of a poisonous frog bite, you later learn. The smell of sickness, dampness, and body odor assails your sinuses, but the rooms seem to be kept fairly clean and free of clutter. Though not exactly deplorable conditions, the druid is glad he opted for the shack.

Anyone in particular you'd like to speak with?
Wes

Wes takes in the living conditions and the general state of the area. He tries to to talk to adults, preferably able-bodied males, as they are mostly likely to have tried to stop the monkoons, or had to protect people from them. But he does ask around generally for anybody who has seen them, or any other examples of local wildlife

He examines the gardens to see what is being grown, and tries to talk to any gardeners about the crops they are growing, and any that they have tried but failed with.

Wes also tries to find out why the larger building is vacant if everybody is living in cramped conditions.

He is sympathetic to the frog bite victim, but realizes that there isn't much he can do to help him. He asks the man's carers to bring him several buckets of water: "I'm sorry he is suffering so much. Is there no cleric here that could help him? I will do what little I can to help". Wes casts Purify Water on the contents of the buckets. "Have him drink this. It is clean water, much cleaner than anything you can give him from the river. It won't cure him, but at least his body can concentrate on fighting the poison". After leaving the man's bedside, Wes returns to the Treehouse
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Nuke66 »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Owen

"I have not yet decided, I was thinking east, toward the river, close by however. You have any thoughts? You've been here longer than I."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#36 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:
OGRE MAGE wrote:Owen

"I have not yet decided, I was thinking east, toward the river, close by however. You have any thoughts? You've been here longer than I."
Owen

"Yes, building closer to the water source is a good idea, as long as you don't mind living out there by yourself. Safety in numbers was the basic idea behind keeping all of these buildings close together here. Your shack will be all alone if you build outside of this clearing.

We have had a few others like you that tried to build out in the jungle. They usually became a target for the creatures of the wild. One guy even tried to build a tree fort high off the ground out there. The primates soon took care of that invader. So far we have not been bothered here, likely because there are so many of us here now.

As you can see, we don't have a lot of quality building materials here either. It is expensive to have lumber brought here on the ships, so I have been using whatever we can scavenge. It usually aint pretty to look at, but drift wood and thatch works pretty good too."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jernau35 wrote:Wes
Wes takes in the living conditions and the general state of the area. He tries to talk to adults, preferably able-bodied males, as they are mostly likely to have tried to stop the monkoons, or had to protect people from them. But he does ask around generally for anybody who has seen them, or any other examples of local wildlife

He examines the gardens to see what is being grown, and tries to talk to any gardeners about the crops they are growing, and any that they have tried but failed with.

Wes also tries to find out why the larger building is vacant if everybody is living in cramped conditions.

He is sympathetic to the frog bite victim, but realizes that there isn't much he can do to help him. He asks the man's carers to bring him several buckets of water: "I'm sorry he is suffering so much. Is there no cleric here that could help him? I will do what little I can to help". Wes casts Purify Water on the contents of the buckets. "Have him drink this. It is clean water, much cleaner than anything you can give him from the river. It won't cure him, but at least his body can concentrate on fighting the poison". After leaving the man's bedside, Wes returns to the Treehouse
Wes learns a great deal chatting with the townsfolk.....

The men tell him that the monkoon menace was very bad when they first arrived here, but it has since died down considerably. They don't really come around that much anymore, but there are still plenty of them around this area. He also learns that there is other more common wildlife living in the jungle and also in the sea. It appears that this island has no shortage of local flora or fauna.

The town gardeners tell him that the gardens are doing fairly well so far, but they are all still very new to growing their normal food in this hot, humid environment. He sees progress is being made, but he knows it is certainly not enough to sustain the town for very long. Every gardener that he talks to agrees that they do not have enough area cleared yet to grow the proper amount of crops.

He easily ascertains that the long, narrow building is used as a barracks for the loggers and is currently empty because the loggers are all out in the bush cutting trees. It is mentioned a few times that the townspeople prefer it when the loggers are out working and not in town. They have been asked to continue with the clearing expansion many times to no avail.

After looking into the condition of the poisoned man, he learns a bit more. It seems that there was at one time a higher level cleric here that looked after the sick and injured. But like most of the adventurers that come to this place, he went into the jungle one day and never returned. There are a few priests that still remain, but they seem to be more worried about themselves or their parties to be able to help any of the towns commoners. The dying man cannot express his appreciation to the druid any more than a simple smile in between his struggled breaths.

Wes heads back to the Treehouse to seek out his new friends.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#38 Post by Nuke66 »

Raythan continues the conversation, "I said towards the river, not at it, and besides, what I have in mind will require growing the clearing.I want a solid wooden building. Means logs, lots of them."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Nuke66 wrote:Raythan continues the conversation, "I said towards the river, not at it, and besides, what I have in mind will require growing the clearing.I want a solid wooden building. Means logs, lots of them."
Owen

"Well, I do have a nice ax and am not against cutting down the lumber that will be required for such a construction. But you should know that with just me working on it, it will take a while longer then it does to throw together one of those tiny shacks. Likely several weeks. What is the location that you were you thinking about then?"

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Nuke66 »

"Well, let's take a walk, pick a spot with me, close, but not in the village here." Raythan says

Return to “Completed Missions”