Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole - 06 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole - 06 July 20

#181 Post by Zhym »

Olaf waits for Earc to question the orc prisoner so they can move on to the caves.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#182 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

First ensuring it is secured with the manacles, Earc slaps the orc hard on the face to wake it up. Then, while it's still groggy, he starts questioning it.

<in orcish>
"Hey. We got questions for you. Answer them truthfully and maybe you'll make it out of here alive, unlike your two friends. What are you doing this far south? Where are you headed?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

The orc is startled awake by the stinging blow, then surprised to be addressed in his own tongue. He hangs his head abjectly in proper subservience and responds.

{In Orcish} "We patrol all the river, all the forest, Master. There are none to object but the frog-ones, the bullywugs, and they have no strength to face our tribes. It is my doom to walk the wooded paths - I do so and return, answering to the Speakers of what lies at the edge of their realms. The Flamerock is their domain, and what lies beyond which they have strength to hold, as is the way." He nods northwestward at the solitary mountain peak which, even here, can be seen above the canopy.

Date/Time: 7:50am, 08 July 2021
Light: Morning light
Distance Travelled: None yet
Injuries: Earc (severely injured), Blackjack (severely injured), Akkara (minorly injured), Achaedany (minorly injured)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Earc translates for the others.

<in orc>"That is the Flamerock? How many is your tribe? Where is the edge of your realm? What are these?" he asks, holding out the potions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Marullus »

{In Orcish} "That is the Flamerock, seat of the three tribes. We are many, many in each tribe. The Flayed Hand Tribe, under chief-priest Manse. The Red Eye Tribe, under chief-priest Darghul. The Black Tongue Tribe, under chief-priest Balagos. They rule a night-length's journey in all directions, over everything they have strength to rule, and also over the lesser ones within the mountain." You show him the potions and he nods solemnly. "The precious concoctions of my chieftain Darghul. With word reaching us of your flat-faced kind on the southern forest edge, they were entrusted to us to aid in learning of you. One allows us to pass beneath your notice while the other grants the strength to subdue your kind. You keep them as conquest and allow me to return, telling me your names and purpose that I can fulfill my duty and you be known. I must tell how easily we were bested."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#186 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

<in orcish>"I am Toll of Greystone. What is your name? We were tasked to discover what we can about the morlocks and the unusual creatures of the forests by the Lord of Gaul. We were tasked with protecting the lands this side of the Orctongue," he points towards the river. "Which of these potions does which? And... have you by any chance come upon a troop of ogres? We were hunting them earlier, but they eluded us."

Earc takes note of which bottle contains an invisibility potion and which bottle contains a potion of Human control.

He then translates what the orc said and what his reply was.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Amistad will take a look at the weapons and armour taken from the orcs. The chains are definitely worth keeping. Can he practise a few swings with one. It seems like a skill to get one to loop and latch around a target. would that take up a proficiency to use? I also don't think it wise to enter down any morlock caves while so injured. Amistad will use his potion of healing to restore his health and pass some to the others.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Zhym »

Olaf just scowls at the orc.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Marullus »

There are no weapon proficiencies; you know what your class gives. As a fighter, you can use any weapon.

Amistad tests the use of the chains, trying to catch branches with it and finding it quite capable.

It is lightweight, has a base +1 bonus to hit and 1d6+1 damage. It is melee, not ranged. It causes an 'entangle' crit effect on a 19 or 20. I'm just putting that out here since you can all test it and I'm going to rely on you to help remind me when using them.

Once the orcs are trussed, Amistad helps strips the two slain ones. They are utilitarian but very well-crafted and polished with care.

{in orcish} "I am Killesh, of Dhargul. We've seen no ogres thus far. You speak of Morlocks, or so they call themselves. They served the ancient ones, before the Ragnarok, but now continue undriven. Long before the great Masters, long before the coming of the orcs. They live in a great underground dwelling in the western forests, where they melt together any creatures they capture. They are predictable and easily avoided."
The orc looks at you expectantly, to be released in good faith.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Earc takes a while to study the face of the orc, taking note of any features that might stand out. He makes a point of doing this while fiddling with a stone pendant tied to a thong about his neck.

OOC: PM sent

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#191 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Earc smiles at his new friend, Killesh.

"I don't think we need these anymore," he says, repeating it in Orcish, unfastening the chain and handing it back to Achaedany.

"There appears to be a very sizable collaboration of tribes there," he points at the lone mountain visible to the north, "at what Killesh calls 'Flamerock'. Three tribes - the Flayed Hand Tribe, the Red Eye Tribe, and the Black Tongue TribeI don't think we want to draw their ire just yet. I've put Killesh under my control. I think we should put him back in his own gear and have him return from his scouting venture saying they were easily overwhelmed and that the humans consider the Orctongue to be the boundary between Orc and Human lands. Keep us specifically out of the equation. The baron already has enough troubles on his plate with those goblins attacking the caravans. Having orcs swarming in from the north as well might mean the end of Gaul. They need to think the settlement is strong."

He hands Killesh his gear and says, in Orcish, "Report back that you were overwhelmed by humans and that the humans said it was because you crossed the Orctongue. Report that the humans will not cross the natural boundary and that they will keep the peace as long as the orcs do the same. Report that a large band of ogres was spotted trying to cross the Orctongue, as well, and that they were dressed for war."

He tells the others what he said. "Anything to add before we send him on his way?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Zhym »

Olaf grunts and shakes his head.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Goes against my gut feelings but as we are releasing him then let him go in peace. Tell him that we can send a 'trade delegation' northwards up the river within the next season, we will trade with the Red-Eyes and chieftain Darghul. Our flag will bear a white tower of Tolls Tower and an ever watchful and baleful Red-eye on top, so know we come in peace.",

Does the Ragnorak mean anything?

Amistad will have a few more swings with the chain and add it to his inventory.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Marullus »

The orc's gear is returned to him and his chains freed. He is told to communicate the humans' boundaries to the orc tribes and to expect the arrival of a trade delegation under Earc's banner (as embellished but Blackjack). He agrees and disappears back into the woods.

Date/Time: 8:20am, 08 July 2021
Injuries: Earc (severely injured), Blackjack (severely injured), Akkara (minorly injured), Achaedany (minorly injured)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Zhym »

"Can we go to shiny cave now?" asks Olaf.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#196 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Earc nods. "First, I think I need to recover from some of these wounds."

Earc takes five sips from the potion given to him by the tree sprite.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Marullus »

Earc quaffs a potion, some of his wounds healing.

Date/Time: 8:30am, 08 July 2021
Injuries: Blackjack (severely injured), Akkara (minorly injured), Earc (minorly injured), Achaedany (minorly injured)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad will use his potion of healing to restore his health and pass some to the others.

he is ready to carry on.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#199 Post by Alethan »

Earc of Toll's Tower

Once everyone has finished passing the bottle of healing potion, stows the orcish potions in it. He pauses at the second flask, "Would it benefit us to keep this orcish potion of invisibility more handy?"

"And do we leave the rest of this orc gear here? Their equipment looks to be of quality make and includes spears and bows." He glances at the hirelings to see if they require bows or, possibly, additional arrows.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Marullus »

Blackjack also drinks his healing potion. (+5hp) Please remove the potion from your sheet. His wounds are severe enough to consume the whole potion, he doesn't have enough to share.

Akkara and Achaedany both turn down the orcish armors, which are ill-fitted for them and they both have studded leathers already. Both also carry heavy crossbows, so the orcish scouts' shortbows and arrows aren't of use to them.

They look over the captured gear, opting to take with them:
  • Potion of invisibility (Earc)
  • Potion of human control (Earc)
  • golden brown citrine (250 GP) (Olaf)
  • tiny roundel of golden amber (25GP) (Earc)
  • small radiant banded agate (100 GP)(Olaf)
  • blue-green turquoise (50 GP) (Olaf)
  • large cracked pale green tourmaline (100 GP) (Olaf)
  • three blowgun tubes (Olaf, Achaedany, Akkara)
  • 15 blowgun darts (Earc 4, Olaf 3, Achaedany 3, Akkara 3)
  • six steel chains (Blackjack, Olaf, Achaedany, Akkara; Earc x2)
...and leave behind:
  • six Morlock well-tailored tunics (blood-stained and torn from wounds which slayed them)
  • two sets of well-oiled leather armor
  • two orcish shortbows
  • seventeen red-fletched orcish arrows
  • two orcish spears
  • three blowgun tubes
  • 39 gold coins marked with a red eye
Date/Time: 8:40am, 08 July 2021
Injuries: Blackjack (majorly injured), Akkara (minorly injured), Earc (minorly injured), Achaedany (minorly injured)

Current HP:
(AC 3) Blackjack Amistad 9 / 17
(AC 9) Earc Orctongue 9 / 12
(AC 1) Olaf Olafsonson 12 / 12
(AC 5) Achaedany 15 / 18
(AC 6) Akkara 3 / 5

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”