Interlude in Wood's Hallow

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Interlude in Wood's Hallow

#1 Post by Distorted Humor »

The party sets out, prepped for the horror of the roads in the side trip to Wood's Hallow, a small Hamlet towards the mountains. The party is expecting the worse, Bandits, orcs, or even a Troll. However the worse thing the party finds in their trip to the Hamlet is a fox, which was more scared of the party then the party was of the fox.

Arriving in town, Wood's Hallow is a small enough town, Villagers are rebuilding a cottage and the blacksmith home is easy enough to spot, as it is one of the few structures made of stone and the hammering of iron calls you out. The party arrives, and the Blacksmith once he learns that the party has a package races for it, and runs to the house. Inside you see a girl, aged 12 or so, sick in bed, with a odd green cast about her. The blacksmith gives the potion, and the blacksmith gives the girl the potion as the other villagers quickly come to see what is going on. The girl drinks it down, and looks stronger, but she still has a fever and the greenish pall. The blacksmith massive shoulders slump. He walks to the party, lines of worry on his face.

"Well met, My name is Hugh the Ironmonger, Thank you for bringing the potion. Our village was attacked by orcs a fortnight ago. We defended well, my hammer took three of them down. But Old Farmer Hashick cottage was burned, that is the house being repaired that you saw coming in. The Orcs right now are being chased by some Imperial Scouts and Foresters. However my dear daughter Elise was hit with Orc Arrow. It was a scratch, but the orcs seem more deadly these days. The arrow head was poisoned. Our town cleric was killed in the raid, and it will take a few weeks for a new cleric to arrive. If any of you know the healing arts, and willing to look at my daughter, please help us."

The villagers look around, then one of the older men looks at Hugh "She needs the water of the Golden Fountain Hugh, it waters can bring the newly dead to life, and surely the waters will cure your daughter!"

Hugh looks at the man, and then looks at the party. "There was a temple built here a century ago, built around a magical healing spring. Twenty winters ago it was burned but a dark priest and his minions. They say it is haunted, no one in this little hamlet is brave enough to go there. I would go, but I need to be with my daughter, in case... in case the Orc poison takes her." He pauses, looks at the party. "We are not rich, we are just a little hamlet of freeholders scratching a living off the land. I do not have much money to give you. However you look like the types that can handle themselves, and whatever you find can be yours, and the villagers and I would be forever thankful. They say that even a wine skin of the water can raise the newly dead, cure poison or heal wounds. What say you?"

Delazar
Runner
Runner

Re: Interlude in Wood's Hallow

#2 Post by Delazar »

"Obviously I cannot speak for all of us, but rest assured I will do whatever I can to save this little girl" said Felgorian.

Then he turned to his companions "What say you?"
Delazar

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#3 Post by JobaTett »

"I do suppose I could do it, the Orcs shoot a little girls, so we must save here. The balance of things must be kept!"

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by max_vale »

Beya can't help but feel her heart breaking for the poor girl and her dedicated father. She speaks up quickly; "Of COURSE I'll do my best to help your poor child! Come on fellas; let's go to this Temple and find some of this curing water for the girl!"

A thought then occurs to her and she turns to the Cleric; "Unless of course....is there anything you can do for her?"

Jester
Strider
Strider

#5 Post by Jester »

While on the road the companions are perhaps taken by surprise by Sjorvuld's behavior. Instead of the blood-thirsty savage they might expect they see a young man still growing and learning about the world. While along the roads his attention never seems to falter, and after camp is set up he spends at least an hour in the dusk hunting or fishing. Usually brining back plants and herbs that are dried and put away for later use. Should anyone get a cut or any injury he is able to suggest something for pain and to prevent infection. His energy seems endless as he wakes early to help break camp after staying up late on first watch, it is clear he is used to a hard life and it has made him strong.

He doesn't speak much during the trip except to answer questions and make simple requests. If asked about himself the answers are vague at best. He does seem to be genuinely attracted to Beya and just like any young man he shows off in hopes of drawing her attentions. However, after a few firm rebuffs he gets the point and moves on. He tries to avoid the Elf Felgorian, he just doesn't know how to act around him. The only person he does talk to, although guardedly, is Kneecapper who shares at least some of his cultural ideas and understanding. He never relaxes his vigilance while in the lands of the Imperials and it's clear that he expects them to come swooping down any minute to arrest him again.

When the group makes it to the village of Wood's Hollow, Sjorvuld is seems to have calmed, a bit, but his jumpiness hasn't subsided completely. So, it is no surprise that he reacts to the approaching Blacksmith, Hugh, with defensive attitude. However after seeing the dire need in the man's eyes and his desire only to care for his child the defensive posture turns to one of sympathy. He says casually after the villages have left, and to no one in particular, "Such an effort can only be for a girl child. Boys shouldn't be coddled so, they either survive through strength or die. This is the way of things. He walks slowly to the blacksmith's shop and listens to the tales of what had happened to the villages and the horrors they have suffered at the hands of the Orcs. He suddenly comes to the realization that this must be what it's like to hear what villagers near Tal Amar must say about his people. The play of emotions are hard to read on his hardened features but those that have been near him for these last few weeks see it clearly affects him.

He looks over the child and uses what herbs he has to try and help but when it's clear that nothing but the waters will help he is resigned. Sjorvuld Speaks, "If this is the only way to save your daughter and insure the future of your family then I will help you, Huge Blacksmith. I give my word that I will return with the waters of life and heal the child if it is the will of the Spirits. My only regret is that the Orcs that did this are too far away to be taught the error of their ways. The words seem to have a double meaning for him. As his own Clan and Tribe are far away for him to impart his revelation to them. "Oh, and excellent going with getting those three Orcs. When you got them did they show any signs or tribal markings? I know little of Orcs but I have heard that some mark their flesh to show loyality to a Chief and that may tell us something about them should we encounter them in the wilds.

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#6 Post by Vargr1105 »

Coenbeorht Kneecapper doesn't voice any opinion and lets the other party members do the talking. With several of his companions very intent on helping the human girl the dice appear to have already been cast. Wherever the group goes...the group goes, and the halfling will tag along with the only persons he knows in these southern lands.

When no one is noticing, he takes a moment to speak with the blacksmith in private and tells the man, that for his part, no money will be needed as recompense. Coenbeorht will be happy with some fresh food and victuals.

JobaTett
Scout
Scout

#7 Post by JobaTett »

"Let's do it like the 70s and disc our way-o to the water!"

Return to “Empire of the Dragon Throne [BECMI/RC]”