The Quest Begins

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The Quest Begins

#81 Post by Alethan »

OOC: How far back are we from the doorway? Do we only have the one light source? If possible, I'd rather mark the pit trap than expose it. What if we grab that burnt out torch we saw right at the doorway and use it to indicate where we need to hug the wall? Shouldn't take but a minute to turn around, walk back, get the torch stub, then come back to this spot with the torch stub. Of course, we'd mark it on the other side of the trap so we'd see it when coming back.

To expose the trap provides good evidence of our passing.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#82 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:OOC: If possible, I'd rather mark the pit trap than expose it.
Not surprisingly, a much better idea than what I proposed. Let's do this instead.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#83 Post by acererak »

The doorway is about 70' away, since you haven't turned off at any point it should be fairly easy to navigate. Durin currently holds the party's only light source. If you are enacting your plan I just need to know if everyone is doubling back and who, if anyone, is staying put. Also, is Eugene still squeezing by the pit trap?Just want to know where everyone is.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#84 Post by Alethan »

OOC: We can use any ol' thing to mark the pit. I just thought the burnt out torch stub would be good because a) it was already in the environment, and thus would not be out of place and b) was less obvious than, say, chalk on the floor or some such thing.

If we only have the one light source, then we should all go real quick. As Acer said, it's only 70 feet. Shouldn't take but a minute..

After we get it, THEN we'll have Eugene cross. How does that sound to everyone?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#85 Post by dmw71 »

"Ah, I can show off my impressive pit passing skills a bit later if I must. Eugene assures everyone. "Scratch my last thought about setting off the trap; Caby here --" he says, letting his hand briefly fall to the halfling's shoulder, "-- is clearly the brains of the group. No offense, Durin." he says, tossing a playful elbow in the magic users' side.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#86 Post by Alethan »

Caby shrugs.

"It was just an idea, is all... I think we all work well as a team. If it hadn't been for you and Boldus, we'd all have fallen into some kind of trap by now. Let's go get that torch stub so we can continue our search."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#87 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"It was just an idea, is all."
"And a fine idea it is." he assures her. "My sarcasm skills clearly are getting a bit rusty." he can be overheard saying as he turns and begins heading back towards the doorway and the torch.
-- Project --
-- DM --

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by max_vale »

Smiling broadly at Eugene; Durin just shrugs and says; "That's allright...I'll just have to get by knowing that I'm the party's muscles and good looks!" The scrawny little Mage puffs out his chest and strikes a "heroic" pose; ruined only by his bird-chest and silly ear-to-ear grin.

Straightening up; Durin helps the party marke the location of the pit trap and crosses over when the others are ready.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by saalaria »

Kytan silently follows the others - staying alert to sounds and anything else unusual in the corridors

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#90 Post by acererak »

A quick double back allows the party to retrieve the torch. Eugene, staying close to the left side of the wall, squeezes past the area that he believes to be trapped. He then places the torch in front of the trap to mark the area. The rest of the party, following Eugene's example, skirts the trap area. You are now presented with a door on the wall to the right ,an opening on the left wall 10' ahead of where you are now standing, or you may continue straight. The corridor is still silent. You do note some fresh and dried dung in places along the corridor, about the size of what a cat or small dog would deposit.

Begin Turn 4

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by Distorted Humor »

Atticus keeps checking if we are being followed while the party decides directions...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#92 Post by dmw71 »

acererak wrote:You are now presented with a door on the wall to the right ,an opening on the left wall 10' ahead of where you are now standing, or you may continue straight. The corridor is still silent
Once the entire group is beyond the concealed pit, Eugene will cautiously approach the door to his right. He will listen for any sounds and inspect the where the door meets the frame (if a frame exists?) in an attempt to notice if there is any light emanating from the other side. Once the obvious initial tasks have been completed, he will seek to determine the swing of the door -- in or out -- and whether or not it is locked. If locked, he will carefully inspect it any traps.
-- Project --
-- DM --

acererak
Tracker
Tracker

#93 Post by acererak »

Eugene carefully checks the door. There is no light coming from the other side and no noise. A distant dripping of water is the only sound and it beats a feeble tempo as Eugene checks the area where the door is framed by stone. Hinges on this side would seem to indicate that the door opens outward into the corridor. There are no obvious signs that the door is trapped.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#94 Post by dmw71 »

acererak wrote:Eugene carefully checks the door. There is no light coming from the other side and no noise. A distant dripping of water is the only sound and it beats a feeble tempo as Eugene checks the area where the door is framed by stone. Hinges on this side would seem to indicate that the door opens outward into the corridor. There are no obvious signs that the door is trapped.
"A'right then." he says confidently after a few moments of careful inspection "Boldus, this one here should be good for opening." With that, Eugene falls back into his rightful place in the groups marching order.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Xaxyx
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#95 Post by Xaxyx »

"Right!" Boldus says. Firmly grasping the handle, he will fling the door open widely to reveal what's beyond.

Return to “Tomb of the Iron God”