Whispered Asides and Backroom Squabbles: OOC

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Whispered Asides and Backroom Squabbles: OOC

#21 Post by coil23 »

I like the idea of one place for the map to go back to when needed and then having the adventure thread elsewhere. This works better for me though I will go with the group consensus on this matter.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#22 Post by mb. »

One question about the mapping:

Do we care if things are to scale, or are we only concerned with navigation? In other words, is "when we're running from the purple worm, we run left, left, right and through the doors to GTFO" enough?

Of course not sweating scale is quicker and easier for me, but if we really want it, it's doable.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Because I'm a visual guy, and a Photoshop nerd, and I finally figured out how to do images here cleanly, and have a little time to waste, here's our cast!
Thanks, mb.! Hopefully, we'll have GWAR in the mix soon (I think Grogs is usually out on weekends), and we may have a late entrant joining the party.

Regarding mapping: Just so you guys can make informed decisions when responding to mb.s question: Because of the Theodolite, I'll provide fairly exact measurements. Also, the scale of the rooms will be HUGE. Like, HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by mb. »

So sounds like scale is probably important. Noted.

Also, while working on those portraits, I couldn't help but hope that these guys show up.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Pulpatoon »

Because we're starting out with rules-as-written, I did not put the following items on the starting equipment list:
1. Beard of Holding
You can store about two pounds of material or one hand weapon in your voluminous beard.

2. Beard of Belonging
You do not stand out in crowds, ever. Your spectacularly non-descript beard makes you look like a local wherever you are, even if they don’t wear beards.

3. Beard of Burning
Twice a day, you can set your beard ablaze! It does no damage to you or anything else, but is very intimidating. Surprised encounters must pass a WIS check or flee. It can also cast light as a torch. Lasts for six turns.

4. Beard of Direction
Your beard remembers where you’ve been. When asked directions, it will pull in the appropriate direction.

5. Beard of the Lumberjack
In your hands, a woodsmen’s axe becomes a Master Weapon (1d8 dmg.), and you can both sense the presence of and communicate with tree-creatures.

6. Beard of Thoughtfulness
Twice a day, stroking your beard thoughtfully provides uncanny insight: +2 to a WIL check based on knowledge or perception, such as discerning the function of an Arcanum.

7. Beard Buddy
A small animal has made a nest in your beard. It may leave your beard to follow simple instructions, and, if you pass a WIL Save, relay simple information back to you once it has returned to its nest.

8. Beard of Climbing
Twice a day, your beard can grow into a rope ladder and latch onto a surface within 30 feet. It can sustain up to 220 lbs. and will stay in position until you cross it. How you climb up or down your own beard is a mystery that defies careful observation.
These don't have to be beards, of course. Whiskers, locks, merkins, what have you. These are adapted from this longer list: All Beards are Magic.

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#26 Post by mb. »

Pulpatoon wrote:7. Beard Buddy
A small animal has made a nest in your beard. It may leave your beard to follow simple instructions, and, if you pass a WIL Save, relay simple information back to you once it has returned to its nest.
I so wish Shaggy this. Because Beard Buddy! :D

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#27 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I added the lantern (Lighter) boy image and name as well as my Hireling image and name to the character sheet post I made previously. Yes i went with an all celebrity image cast here...
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#28 Post by mb. »

Our rogues gallery is updated, now with 200% more Gwar!

GreyWolfVT

#29 Post by GreyWolfVT »

lol 200% more Gwar I think we need about 50% less :P
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#30 Post by mb. »

As we begin, I give you...

A map of mind-melting complexity and beauty!

I don't think we'll need to keep track of how little we used to know as we go along, so as the map expands, I'll just replace the attachment in that post and resave it. Should we really have any past map questions, I'll be saving versions and can provide them as needed.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Stirling »

Do we need any kind of marching/exploring order. We seem a pretty random and eccentric lit, a buy of order might do us good.

Can any of use do any healing/ arcanum stuff or is that a secret like the rumours?

mb.
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#32 Post by mb. »

Yeah, practical, though not so urgent considering we're in a 180' wide room.

My guess, Gwar and Butchness are always at the front, if there's a front. ;)

Deet isn't much of a leader, but he also has a musket he isn't afraid to use, so you don't want him at the very back. 2nd row maybe, with Odric.

It's also interesting with this system: does it matter at all? We're all equally useful/less, have no squishies in the traditional sense, and no tanks. I guess it's about highest HP, ranged weapons, and does anyone have any armor at all?

Actually, that's a question for Pulp: since we auto-hit opponents, can we assume ranged hits, as long as there's a fictionally reasonable chance the shooter isn't blocked? So 2nd row Deet could fire without hitting companions, further back not?

Wizard Lizard
Scout
Scout

#33 Post by Wizard Lizard »

Stirling wrote:Do we need any kind of marching/exploring order. We seem a pretty random and eccentric lit, a buy of order might do us good.

Can any of use do any healing/ arcanum stuff or is that a secret like the rumours?
I don't have anything to heal, but hit points are soft in this game. You really have to worry about your STR score, but hp get back after a short rest.

Also, if we do make a marching order, I'd like to be in the back :D

I'm hesitating between joining the fray or using my phase key to hide in an adjacent room, but I'm afraid it'll be worse on the other side (not mentioning the possibility of getting stuck inside a wall).

GreyWolfVT

#34 Post by GreyWolfVT »

I'd say the three in my crew would be in the middle of the march roughly.

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Pulpatoon »

mb. wrote:Actually, that's a question for Pulp: since we auto-hit opponents, can we assume ranged hits, as long as there's a fictionally reasonable chance the shooter isn't blocked? So 2nd row Deet could fire without hitting companions, further back not?
Here's the deal: Hit Points are "Don't get hit points" that represent whatever you have to bring to bear to avoid taking significant damage: luck, speed, toughness, etc. They are recovered very quickly—it just takes a short breather.

STR damage represents serious wounds, and they are always serious.

This is the sort of game where Conan can still get taken out by a punk with a knife in an bar fight.

GWAR! and Deet are, I believe, the only folks with Armor.

As far as ranged shots: yup, you are assumed to be pretty good with your weapon. You could shoot over your friends heads and shoulder—it would be assumed you waited until you had a clear shot.

However, if you do something that strains credulity, I would make something up. Like, say, if you shot into close melee, I might ask for a DEX check to see who you hit. Of if it was a really tight scrum, I might just assign damage to everyone.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by coil23 »

Horton will be in whichever order people want him to be. It won't save him anyhow. :(

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by coil23 »

It looks like you left out just one thing from your map of the first room: all of our dead bodies.

Wizard Lizard
Scout
Scout

#38 Post by Wizard Lizard »

coil23 wrote:It looks like you left out just one thing from your map of the first room: all of our dead bodies.
Don't worry, the mighty GWAR! is on our side ;)

Plus, us cowards will have a chance even if the big guys lose the fight.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Urson »

Hi folks! I'm the late arrival. I didn't see the 'looking for' thread until you guys were already rolling, but Pulp kindly let me join up anyway. I'm reading over the posts so far to get a sense of what's happening.
FA FO

Pulpatoon
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Pulpatoon »

So, really, for real, I'm not going to keep posting this frequently. The plan, for long term sustainability, is to make 3 significant, plot-moving posts a week. Buuuut, I'm on an autumnal break, and the game just started, and, well, it's hard to hold back the enthusiasm.

Return to “GARGANTUA - Into the Odd”