Weatherwax Meetinghouse

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Weatherwax Meetinghouse

#21 Post by Alethan »

Willow purchases an additional healing potion.

(-75gp deducted)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Zhym »

Lug makes his way to the Meetinghouse, where he seeks out Vassar Clements.

"Um, hi," says the bear-man, unusually sheepish (a sheepish bear?). "So, this is gonna sound kind of weird, but I used to know this great guy called Xavro. Well, not a guy, really. Half of him was a horse. The bottom half. That half was definitely a guy. Not that I checked him out. It was hard not to notice. Anyway, he was my friend, and had a grove, and he protected it, and then the forest burned and I think he died. But that was another world, I think." Lug shuffles his feet and stares at the ground, looking even more uncomfortable.

"I'm not making much sense am I? Sorry. It's all kind of weird. But Xavro taught me a lot about the critters of the forest needing protection. And since I can't find Xavro here, I figured maybe I should be the one doing the protecting, y'know? Especially from goblins and orcs and stuff."

"So...that's why I'm here. I—I wanna be a ranger, and protect the forest."

He waits for a response, then remembers that he had another item of business here.

"Oh!" he adds, brightening. "I also have some stuff that belongs—um, belonged—to that statue you've got out front. Rhybek. His axe, which is really good against things that fly, his shield, and his amulet, which is a holy symbol of Moradin. I dunno why they have a dwarf worshiper of Moradin here, but here he is. Anyway, I thought he should have his stuff back, as a memorial kind of thing, if you don't think people would try to steal his stuff off of him. Or if you do, I could ask the dwarves if they could hang it up somewhere. What do you think?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

sometime between July 26 and Aug 19

Clay is home at this time and is high enough level to accept the oath of Rangers. I will let you play this out IC.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Inside the Meeting House, Clay is curled up with Morr on the rug by the fire. He rises, stretching his furry back, and invites Lug inside, moving to the table by the window as he does so. Hi Lug! Come on in. I was just warming up by the fire. It's good to see you again. He accepts Rhybek's weapons with his clawed paws, answering the question about Rhybek's presence. Rhybek is here because I worry he's trapped out of the natural cycle of life and death. I'm afraid he's not dead, but only trapped in stone. I'll put these belongings up for him, as a further reminder that I hope to, one day, restore him. Actually, I wonder if that Rod of Resurrection with the dwarfs would help him. I don't think the Rod is a good thing in general, but in this case, as I said, Rhybek might not really be dead. I'll speak with Duergar when I go there next.

As Lug discusses becoming a ranger, Clay listens intently. Finally he speaks. This land was populated long ago by Beith, who released her children into the world. But Humans, Dwarfs, Orcs, Goblins, and a others want to mold the land according to their will, rather than allowing things to unfold naturally. Orcs and goblins destroy things so they can wage wars. Dwarfs dig deeper and deeper to harvest gems and gold from the depths of the earth. Humans do both of these things, as make the land uninhabitable for the wild creatures by over fishing, clearing forests, filling swamps, and more.

As a Ranger, you will swear an oath to protect these last, great, primeval landscapes against further damages by these civilizations. Even now, there are orcs moving south, and people - like us... Well not much like me, anymore... But they're coming north. And there is history here that is working to restore itself, including a City of the Undead to the West. Are you willing to defend these northlands from all that want to taint, destroy, or bend it to their will? Even if that might, some day, include Gaul? Are you okay with that?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

Lug turns, noticing Clay for the first time. "Oh, hi!" he calls out in cheerful greeting. "Sorry I didn't see you before."

He nods his head behind him at the lifelike statue of Rhybek. Or the deathlike statue. Or somewhere in-between. "Yeah, he's what my gram woulda called 'remarkably well-preserved,' ain't he? Easier to accept that someone's dead when they ain't right there, though, all almost-lifelike. And you kinda gotta think a man—or dwarf—that can be stoned can be un-stoned, right? Still, lotsa people around here died—and for reasons less dumb than picking a fight with a cockatrice. And isn't resurrection kind of a big deal? I mean, there ain't much less natural than making a dead guy into a live one. I liked him, but, well, why do we need him back instead of someone else? That's just my thoughts, anyway."

Lug listens with unusual solemnity to Clay's description of what being a ranger would mean. Fighting for nature. Against anyone who threatens it. Including from people. And he grins wide. "You mean, I get to thump people if they're gonna hurt my forest friends?" he asks. "Yeah, I can do that. Hell, I used to get yelled at for thumping people who deserved it. So, yeah, I'll fight anyone who tries to mess with the land. Including people from Gaul. Plus goblins, orcs, and stuff, right? Cause fighting them is fun."

Clearly Lug isn't worried that Clay might deem him a bit too eager for the job.

Rhybek's shield, axe, and amulet removed from Lug's sheet.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Lug's eagerness to fight and kill gives Clay a moment's pause, but he decides that Lug is merely following the conversation, not leading it. He nods. I could make you a ranger. Clarabelle just took the oath, too. But I want you to know that fighting's not the only thing Rangers do. But it is one of the more dangerous, I suppose, so it's good you're comfortable with it.

First, tell me about the hunt for Scatha. I can see the party was successful in killing him. I was torn on the matter, myself. He was a unique creature, but he also threatened all of Gaul and Idmi'D'dum, and he let the goblins run free in the forests.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

"You betcha Scatha's dead! That's where I got this swell armor!" grins Lug. Indeed, his armor—under his dire wolf cloak—is the burnt color of red dragon scales.

"So, yeah, we totally killed him to take his stuff. Not gonna lie about that. But he was also a bad, bad dude. Like you said, he was gonna burn down Gaul, and he ate a frickin' smorgasbord buffet of dwarves. Which, hey, Beith might not care about—affairs of men and dwarves and all that, and maybe you think, hey, Scatha burning down Gaul takes care of one threat to the lands up north, huh? But it wasn't like Scatha was a friend to the forest or the animals, and I betcha the land's in a lot better shape without that dragon than it was with him. Far as I guess, anyways. And if we didn't kill him, some folks mighta sent armies. I ain't seen an amy yet what didn't tear the hell out of the land."

"Why? Was that a problem?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

Lord Earc, follower of Beith, enters and takes advantage of his new Deity Discount Card, buying four potions of extra healing.

(300gp deducted)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:"You betcha Scatha's dead! That's where I got this swell armor!" grins Lug. Indeed, his armor—under his dire wolf cloak—is the burnt color of red dragon scales.

"So, yeah, we totally killed him to take his stuff. Not gonna lie about that. But he was also a bad, bad dude. Like you said, he was gonna burn down Gaul, and he ate a frickin' smorgasbord buffet of dwarves. Which, hey, Beith might not care about—affairs of men and dwarves and all that, and maybe you think, hey, Scatha burning down Gaul takes care of one threat to the lands up north, huh? But it wasn't like Scatha was a friend to the forest or the animals, and I betcha the land's in a lot better shape without that dragon than it was with him. Far as I guess, anyways. And if we didn't kill him, some folks mighta sent armies. I ain't seen an amy yet what didn't tear the hell out of the land."

"Why? Was that a problem?"
Only time will tell, I suppose. Perhaps he was keeping some sort of balance, which is now upset. But that was going to happen either way, I suppose. Now a new balance must be found.

And the followers of Beith will help find it.

Xavro seems to have been a good mentor. I'll be proud to witness your oath. We'll do it at the next full moon. In the meantime, your welcome to stay here and eat with me, Vassar, and Clarabelle. And Maurice and Morr, of course. The three of us can show you around the community, and Clarabelle is a Ranger, so if you have any questions, she's a person to talk with.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Zhym »

Since we're playing this in fast-forward time, can we assume that the full moon has happened and Lug's a ranger now? Are good meals available here in addition to the common meals available for free? Lug paid for a room and good meals in Gaul. I could back that out, I suppose. When is the next full moon in our timeline? The same as in real 2021? That'd make the full moons July 23 and August 22. Which brackets Clay's presence here. D'oh! So, yeah, maybe handwaving the full moon thing makes more sense? Lug can be here through August 22, but Clay is gone by then, right?

At any rate, getting some accounting done before Halfpint's expedition leaves, Lug will purchase two potions of extra healing, paying with a blue zircon (75gp) and a deep blue lapis lazuli (75go) and take his free potion.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Marullus »

As a Sub-DM, you should know how to calculate moon phases. :) The next full moon is August 29. I'll let you two work that out however makes sense... no reason OOC to prevent Lug from being a Ranger before the next expedition starts.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Dang. See how he got both of us there? That's the sort of efficiency we need to strive towards, Zhym. :P

Clay lets Lug in on a little known secret, that Rangers can make their views on full or new moons. The new moon is more common because it is easier to see, but I'm a badger, so it makes no difference to me, really. The main thing is the centering of the world's energy, which happens at either end of the cycle. We can go at the new moon.

Clay leads Lug to his stone circle, recently erected. He is pleased as Lug's recitation of his vows, and then performs the ritual cleansing of the large man's body and spirit. The ceremony ends with Lug accepting his brand.

And.. voila!
Marullus, can you edit the description again? :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Done. Edited. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

Lug buys one more potion of extra healing. And he asks if there are any horse whisperers around who can ask his horse what his name is.

-75 gp, +1 potion of extra healing.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That's an awfully nice thing to do. I can help.Clay casts Speak with Animals and asks the horse.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

errr.... Do you have a preference? Should we wait for Marullus? Do you want me to make something up? Do you want a translation? (I'm partial to "He who Canter's Nicely ")

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

I was going to see what Marullus would come up with. I suck at animal names for themselves; they always seem to come up too cutesy.

I like "He Who Canters Nicely," but it's kind of long to say. Unless there's a word in horse language that means the same thing.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

After much discussion, Clay turns to Lug and nickers and whinnies twice, then snorts once. He stares at Lug a moment before noticing the large man didn't understand that that is the horse's name. That's it. He repeats the nickers whinnies and snort. Or "Nyorolim." It means, "I Run Fast."

He likes you, by the way. He says you have a good seat and feel like you won't fall off.
His last owner fell off and hit his head on a rock and died. He worries about that a lot. So don't do that if you can help it.

Also, he likes carrots more than sweetened oats. And in cold weather, he likes the hot mash that folks make, but with a bit of beer added.

Edit: changed text to reflect the following discussion.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

That's good.

Although it just occurred to me that with Lug's fire and ice theme going on, a bay horse called "Wildfire" would be sort of appropriate. If not terribly original. :D Or maybe "Dragonfire" or even "Hellfire," for a warhorse, to be slightly more original. Whether the horse thinks of himself with that name depends on whether he thinks he's a badass.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Beith's Watch”