5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm?

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm?

#321 Post by Urson »

Then thank you for doing the search. May I suggest you take along a partner next time, in case of unforseen trouble?
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#322 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif assists with preparing for the forthcoming smugglers. "Tonight I shall pray for boons to provide insight into the mysterious golden objects. Perhaps they possess magicks?"

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#323 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Jonas decides to have a look at the damaged book to see if there are any spells he can salvage. The pages are badly water stained and most are covered in harmless mould and mildew. He thinks that there might be one or two pages that are still readable, perhaps they are complete incantations.

Doubtful climbs from the well and shakes off his wetness. Mai greets him at the door and the pair discuss further how they will set up the ambush for the smugglers. Jervis still sees nothing but empty ocean as he stares out to sea. Keilif follows the others down into the caves again and the group begins to set their plan into motion.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant

#324 Post by Hotgoblin »

Jonas will assist his insight by using Read Magic on the incantations. He hopes this will help to understand more of what the deceased mage was trying to accomplish and further his own knowledge along.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#325 Post by OGRE MAGE »

As night begins to near, Jonas casts his divination magicks on the traveling spellbook. He is pleased to find that there are indeed still 3 spells that remain in tact stuck in between the many ruined pages.

Jervis tires of staring out at the water all day and asks for some relief so he can rest.

Preparations are made and a new watch order is set. The group in the basement continue to set up their fire lines with the casks of flammable liquor, now sure they have done everything that they can do to thwart any sea invaders.

Just before morning, Ben and Umrick arrive in their row boat full of fresh provisions. A nice breakfast is prepared with fresh water and wine now available to wash it all down.

Lets do this......

SPOILER ALERT:
The new moon cycle will arrive in 4 more days. That is when the action will resume in this game. That leaves every one of you a good amount of time to handle any affairs that you might want to take care of before then.

The fire lines with the brandy casks are fine, but I will need to know what you actually plan on doing as far as setting up spikes under the water. If that is something that you are still plan on doing, I want some specifics on how you figure on making that all happen.

Once I get a conformation from each player, indicating that they are ready to advance, we will skip this game ahead in time to arrive at the next encounter. If there is nothing more that you want your character to do, just let me know that.

After everyone has chimed in, we will skip ahead to some action.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#326 Post by Urson »

I have no ideas about setting up spikes. If I were to suggest anything, it would be a rope/chain/net that we could raise and trap any small boats in the cove where the house is.
FA FO

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#327 Post by wolfpack »

I suggest the cleric use his spells and make sure everyone is fully healed.

Also what eactly is the plan, lets say the boat does signal and we return the right signal do we wait in the cave to ambush them, or pretend we are smugglers ourselves?

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#328 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif will pray for Detect Magic and cast it on the golden items. He will then pray for enough healing to have the party (and himself) up to full strength. I know this will have to take the course over a few days. I just wanted to clarify in advance.

As far as setting up spikes, I'm at a loss. I don't know what we could use that could penetrate a hull and also stay in place with the moving tides.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#329 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Keilif casts his detection on the golden items but none appear to be magical. He then heals his friend Doubtful up to full health.

Mai and Jervis discuss what should be done in the water to disable the incoming boats if and when they arrive.

Jonas looks over his new spells, hoping to add them to his own spellbook once he has the proper materials and time to do so.

Ben and Umrick take a nap after rowing throughout the night to get back.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#330 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful was hoping to be able to ground some spears underwater at an angle (pointing out to sea) so as to puncture the hulls of the row boats coming in. It would help to distract and confuse things mightily for the incoming smugglers right before we attack. If no one else likes that idea, Doubtful will drop the matter.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#331 Post by OGRE MAGE »

I understand the concept, I am just wondering how you actually intend to do it? Wooden spears stuck in the spongy seabed wont be very effective.

I will certainly allow it, as long as the engendering behind it is sound.

You do have a party member that is pretty good under water, remember.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#332 Post by wolfpack »

Is it really what we want? the boat sinking near shore and us righing on the sea shore? ZWouldn;t it be batter to ambush them in the caves.

Hotgoblin

Re: 5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm

#333 Post by Hotgoblin »

Let them arrive as usual, if the "Mother Ship", notices something isn't right, they'll flee. I say we we look the part of the smugglers. Does anyone remember any discernible look that they had. Since being knocked out, I'm not going to be much help memory-wise.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#334 Post by wolfpack »

there was a fork in the tunnel whne we fought the crabmen. could be possibly use that to execute a pincer type move. When they are at the fork we could come at them from the left anf right and outflank them.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: 5) Back to the House III: Third time's the charm

#335 Post by Scott308 »

Hotgoblin wrote:I say we we look the part of the smugglers. Does anyone remember any discernible look that they had.
Yeah, they looked like the type of assholes that would lock a gnome in a cage so he could drown. :evil: That, and gnolls. I'm not sure we can pull those off. Actually, I can't really recall if they were wearing anything specific, although they did all appear to be human males, except the gnolls, of course. That would limit the people who could potentially try to portray a smuggler.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Scott308

#336 Post by Scott308 »

wolfpack wrote:there was a fork in the tunnel whne we fought the crabmen. could be possibly use that to execute a pincer type move. When they are at the fork we could come at them from the left anf right and outflank them.
I like this idea.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#337 Post by OGRE MAGE »

A few more days pass and the group starts to get anxious about the arrival of the smuggling ship. Each member of the party wracks their brains, trying to remember all of the information they have been told about the smugglers and how their outfit operates. There are a few nagging suspicions in the backs of a few minds about the current plan, but nobody is able to pinpoint exactly what it is. A consensus is reached that the group will let the smaller craft approach as usual so the pirates can be dealt with on the groups much more favorable turf.

The idea to attack as soon as the small boat enters the cave area is scrapped so the gang concentrates on how they will set up an ambush in the caves for them instead. Doubtful is sure that his fire lines will help to cause the invaders much pain and confusion. The area in the caves where the crabmen were attacked is designated as a great ambush spot. More casks are moved around, and a few of them are tapped. The group is beginning to feel very confident about their chances of routing some more smugglers.

As the first night of the new moon arrives, it is Doubtful's turn at watch. The druid stares out to sea, just like he has done for the last several days. On this night, the darkness seems even more complete than the last few nights. The moon is merely a sliver of light over the sea, making the dark surface of the water almost completely undetectable. After a couple hours of complete darkness, the middle aged man needs to rub his eyes when he sees a tiny point of light flashing at him from out at sea. He waits about 2 minutes and sees the flashing light again. There are 4 distinct flashes in a row. The first is a long flash, followed by 3 short flashes.

its over here

Scott308

#338 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Napper

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#339 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Doubtful tries to remember what the group had decided about the flashing codes but also knows that he needs to act expeditiously with his response. He waits a few more minutes, just to be sure, and then sees the first combination of flashes again. One long flash followed by three quick ones.

The druid lights the signaling lantern as quickly as he can and sets it up on the scratched window ledge. He nervously begins sending the second line of code back to the flashing light. A quick flash followed by a long flash and then again. He waits a second or two to make sure, then sends the same message a second time as the code depicts. He is happy to see that his assumptions must have been correct as the lights out at sea flash back the third signal, just as was expected. Whatever it means, the signal has just been successfully sent. The druid silently wonders what in the hell the group should do next.

Actions!!!

Ok folks, this is it. The remainder of this adventure hinges on your very next moves, so make sure everyone is in agreement as to how you want to handle this bit. I feel like I have done enough "steering" of the ship, so to speak, and I will not interfere with any more actions. Once I hear from each and every player as to their next move, (I will not post again until each player has acted on this "in character") I will post the outcome of your decision.

Good luck!!! :D

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#340 Post by Mant72 »

After hearing word that the signal was successful, Keilif asserts, "Let us take our places in the cavern to set up our ambush. Wait until all of the smugglers take to land before we make our assault. If one of the raiders remains back with the dingy, we should take care of him as well before he can return with word of our occupancy."

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”