Ambergris Cays exploration:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ambergris Cays exploration:

#121 Post by Spearmint »

'Gin' Van de Poel cuts through the tough briar thorns and cacti and towards the end of the cape. You can see the Atlantic ocean in the distance, beating small surfing waves onto a coral beach lined with numerous boulders and granite rocks. The whole area of the cape is covered in very thick seaweed and kelp, strands of brown vines mixed in with lush green, the water droplets glistening on the long sticky wet fronds in the evening sun. Around the cape several copses of these tall heavy laden palm trees grow. Around their base, over ripe fruit lies split open rotting and sticking. As VdP and Pocc, cut their way to one such copse to get a view over the cove, several fruit fall from the tree, splashing nearby. Caught in the radius of the splash the pair begin to vomit wildly, not just todays dinner but yesterdays breakfast as well. For several rounds the smell is all consuming and gagging and you can do little else but crawl hands and knees away. The foul and nauseating scent and constant reflex gagging causes you both to be at 50% strength for the next hour.

The other pair fair a little better, the palm trees shake loose several retch plant globes as they near but just outside of the radius they escape the worst of the effects. Face runs off away from the fruit, Siggard, hears him gagging and behind some sheltered boulders.

Looking over the cove the trees surround the seaweed thick landscape, the kelp going out into the sea for a small distance before bogging and clogging the coral banks. Perhaps a hundred yards away a naked female form seems to be trying to breast feed a baby which wriggles violently in her arms. She is sitting on a mass of weed strewn rock and has not noticed your presence yet, preoccupied with nursing a young child.

actions please

Cape Seaweed.jpg
Cape Seaweed.jpg (166.26 KiB) Viewed 3671 times

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#122 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc between retching tries to retort "Well at least now we know what the cause of the smell is."
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#123 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Sig is astonished at the sight of yet another female alone out here and obviously in a very desperate state. He wraps some wet cloth around his nose and mouth, hoping it will quell the affect of the disgusting stink fruit. He avoids going anywhere near the trees if he can help it. He begins making his way carefully towards the lone woman, wondering secretly if this is some sort of ruse. He lowers his pistols so as not to seem too aggressive if he is spotted by her along his approach.

He strains his elven ears along the way, trying to hear anything out of the norm as he draws closer.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Spearmint »

Siggard , mouth covered and carefully in his steps, moves forward over slippery rocks to near the woman. Above the crash of waves over the distant reef or clack if gulls he hears nothing more than a gurgling babe struggling fitfully. His quiet approach with Elijah behind is not unnoticed however, the naked woman turning to face him.

Woman, my god, you would struggle to use that word...the jeste, ""this one looks your type old Eli." fails on your lips...the closer you get the more revealed she is and the less tempting or woman-like she becomes. Withered in frame with long bony arms and legs, her long droopy breasts fall below her navel. Dank matt black hair mirrored by the seaweed fronds and a hook nose with a face of wart upon wart. She scratches her hair bush, flicking away a couple of grateful crabs caught in a matted net of inner thigh hair. The hag, a marine variety few men encounter, certainly not on romantic strolls along the beach speaks up.

"You would come sneak into my haven and take my precious. A tasty morsel she should be but even I have a maternal nature. Begone weak kneed man, only the strong I desire, unless you both come to satisfy grannies need."

The cruel eyes and a rough tongue which she uses to clean out a clogged nostril causes disgust to arise in you both. make a save vs spells please. You are approx 60'ft away.

On the cove lip, Pocc and 'Gin' Van de Poel carry on retching up their stomachs and watching Siggard and Elijah wade through knee high seaweed. You see them both cover their eyes to avert their faces when they get halfway to the naked woman, who puts the babe under her arm and begins to back away towards some lichen covered boulders. Affected by strength loss, you barely stand.

actions please

GreyWolfVT

#125 Post by GreyWolfVT »

i believe my actions are about the same with the vomiting and strength loss sir.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#126 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard almost pukes after seeing the disgusting features of the hag once she turns around. He uses mind over matter to ignore the terrible effects of her nauseating appearance.

Save vs. Spells (12) [1d20] = 20

Once his stomach settles enough for him to speak, he shouts out to the kidnapping hag, still advancing towards her with both pistols aimed at her horrific looking chest.

STOP RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE, HAG!!! YOUR GARRISH LOOKS WILL HAVE NO EFFECT ON US SO YOU CAN CEASE WITH THE UNPLESANTRIES!!!

The wizard looks at Eli to see if he is still with him before continuing.

SET THE CHILD DOWN AND BACK AWAY FROM IT IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN ALIVE!!! DO IT NOT, AND YOUR HIDEOUS EXISTANCE WILL END RIGHT HERE ON THIS REEF!!! WE MIGHT NOT SEEM LIKE MUCH TO YOUR EYES, BUT WE ARE POWERFUL MEN THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO MESS WITH!

He turns back and motions towards the others.

AND AS YOU CAN SEE, WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Spearmint »

Elijah Crowthorne,

Elijah save vs spells roll[1d20] = 16

"I have seen much devastation and the caress of the waves wrought smooth many sharp stones. Your wickedness and crow form shall be overwhelmed by Poseidons' ever waxing strength." Unafraid of the form of the sea hag, Elijah undoes the scrim net covering of his oiled cloak. It carries a few sharpened fishhooks and he begins to wield it like a schooled retiarius, beginning to circle the hag with his pronged trident aimed. "Be careful young mage, her glance may wither even the stoutest of hearts. We should close with care."

The hag, grimaces at the stout hearts who intrude upon her lair. She brandishes the baby across her chest, using its fragile form as a shield and backs away, wading knee deep through clotted kelp."So you are strong in spirit, I will see if you are strong in flesh. I will ride the last one of you like a bull and take your manhood to pleasure granny. Is it fair to take my treasured babe that Poseidon has gift wrapped to me and leave me bereft and alone? But as you can see, I also am not so alone...Neptunio, Neptunio"

The hag cackles, not turning her back upon Siggard, and points to the other two at the cove edge. Pocc and 'Gin' Van de Poel. "Your friends can mourn over your dead bodies." Grabbing up a small twisted staff she bangs heavily upon a boulder which resonates with a few thumps.

Out on the edge of the reef, a mass of tumbled seaweed rises to a huge height, a ghastly large humanoid form drenched in the glistening fronds. The creatures shakes them off like a dog drying to display a long thick neck and heavy sloping shoulders. Carrying a long spear in his webbed hands, its' equal in height, the saltwater merrow begins to wade with long strides towards his troubled hag mistress grinning from a black toothed mouth dribbling fish guts and spine bones.

actions please. sorry no map but I will describe the positions as best I can. Pocc and VdP, recovered now after vomiting for three rounds but remainat half strength ( 1 hour) are on the edge of the cove, 100yards back. Siggard and Elijah are knee deep in weed and rocks about 60'ft away from the hag who is backing towards some larger seaweed covered boulders, another 100 yards beyond her out on the sea edge of the clotted mass, the aquatic ogre rises.

Van de Poel, steps through the bush and into the cove, firing his heavy crossbow at the ogre as it advances but his shot goes harmlessly wide. Van de Poel heavy crossbow [1d20-2] = 3-2 = 1 damage [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

GreyWolfVT

#128 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc moves up another 20 yards if possible "Van de Poel Sir, I need to close our distance for any of my sea magic to do any good for our mates down there."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#129 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard smiles at the old salt, silently thanking him for his subtle warning. He rushes forward towards the sea hag, being as careful as possible in the wet mess of weed and rock.

Lets get to her before that big one gets to us!!! We cant let her eat that baby!!!

Sig will try to close the distance between himself and the hag, trying to get a shot off with his pistols.

Not sure about my current move rate in these conditions. If I can get to within 30 feet of her this round, I will fire off both pistols. Let me know if you need any attack rolls yet.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Spearmint »

Fire away just remember -1 to hit short range (6-30), -2 to hit medium (31-60). 2d4 damage. I normally use that firing into melee at short distance gives no penalty to friendlies engaged with target, with the hag holding the babe it is more a risk.

Wading in the seaweed, slippery conditions, boggy ground I think half movement rate is fair though unencumbered it is still 60'ft per round.

If you choose to close more than 30'ft away I will need an initiative roll and a d20 please....

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#131 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard slogs ahead quickly to about 30 feet from the hag and opens fire, desperately trying to miss the child in her arms.

Pistol Attack [1d20] = 15 Damage [2d4] = 8

Pistol Attack [1d20] = 10 Damage [2d4] = 3

those don't include the -1 penalty

"I don't need to kill you! We just want the child! Put the baby down and we will leave you both alone!"

The mage frantically hopes that Eli has something in store for the big one.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Spearmint »

Haggling over a baby continues...

'Gin' Van de Poel and Pocc Vorche advance through the slippery cove, at half movement rate and half strength but determined to bring up the rear having brought up their breakfast. VdP drops to one knee and loads his crossbow, winding back the bolt pulley and kissing the bolt for luck. Taking careful aim at the hag he begins to quiver at the sight. Maybe his mind playing tricks but his body can't take any more, the beauty and innocence of a little babe contrasting with the living horror of a diabolic spawned hag. failing a save vs spells, he loses a further 1/2 strength penalty. Weakened to a stat of 3, VdP fumbles about limply straining to keep the heavy bow raised.

Pocc, advancing by his side prepares to cast a druidic spell. Coral holy symbol aloft, the presence of seaweed enhancing his mental concentration he gesticulates in the direction of the hag. Focusing on her causes him to also need to make a d20 save vs spells please.

Elijah turns to face his nemesis, trying to place himself between ogre and Siggard. He utters a prayer to Poseidon , his foe almost twice his size, twice his reach and more than twice his power. He twirls his net in a wide arc over his shoulders as if trawling for a catch. He decides discretion being the better part of valour. Planting his trident firm between the rocks he points at the merrow, insisting in his gods holy name for it to "Retreat." (Command spell used). The sea brute aims to stab back with his own forked prongs but stutters in his steps, confusion reigns in him momentarily and it turns to dive through the seaweed and writhe awkwardly out to the waves cresting on the reef. "A ray of inspiration, though he will return soon.", he comments.

Siggard blasts away hoping his aim is true. Unaffected by the hagrid look he strikes her firmly with the first shot, the second ricochet's of a boulder. Bleeding profusely the hag curses the mage and turns her back on him. She begins to run across the strewn cove very nimbly, lifting her skinny varicose legs high as if dancing a jig and attempts to flee the scene, a trail of blood splattering across the lichen as she does so.

The baby cries.

actions please

GreyWolfVT

#133 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc trying to focus on casting his spell at the hag Save v Spell (15) [1d20] = 10

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#134 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard takes off after the hag in hot pursuit after giving the cleric a huge smile for saving their sorry hides. (even if it is only temporarily) He shouts back to the others and then again to the hag.

"If you can't fight the hag, at least get down here to help Eli with this other brute!"

Closing as fast as he can, he fears for the life of the baby even more as the hag retreats.

"Running away also makes you a target! I tried to warn you to release the babe, but you want to do things the hard way. So......."

The mage stops just long enough to fire off his quickest spell towards the foul water wench. Magic Missile (1 segment)

MM [1d4+1] = 3+1 = 4

"I have a few more of those in store for you hag! Put the child down and I will let you live!!!"

Is the hag running away in roughly the same direction as the ogre "retreated"? Or are they fleeing in separate directions?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Spearmint »

the aquatic ogre ran straight back out to see at full speed for a round, so he'll have another round to come back before any prospective melee. Just enough time to organise a defence or retreat yourselves.

The hag, despite being wounded took off across the rocks with baby, running directly eastwards ( or to your left). In the seaweed the party is at 1/2 movement rate while the hag in her element is scampering fleet footed with unusual dexterity. Movement in excess of 120'ft per round.

After being hit by the magic missile, she falters, catches her breath sharply and carries on fleeing though more laboured, She appears more haggard and gravely wounded. She is 120+'ft away from Siggard, the other three together a further 60'ft behind him.

Pocc and VdP remain at 1/4 strength, very weakened and penalised due to failed saves. The ogre has stopped retreating and is on the way back through all the seaweed and kelp.

Actions please.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#136 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard has always found it difficult in life to bluff an evil opponent, this damn hag seems no different.

Despite the adding dangers, he feels as though he must save this baby. He does not give up the chase. He follows after the hag as fast as he can, hoping she doesn't have any more surprises in store for him. Even if he can't catch up to her, he hopes to figure out where she is going.

GreyWolfVT

#137 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc sorry if you were waiting on me the sea druid will try and cast a spell at the Ogre if it is within his range.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Spearmint »

The Hunt ...

Siggard as nimbly as he can moves with his half elven grace chasing the old sea hag ( she might actually be quite a young sea hag but, well you just can't tell these things from looking at her...which warned by Elijah, is probably a good thing not to do anyway). The hag, bleeding from a pistol wound and the unseen scars of the Magic Missile which penetrated her genetic resistances, limps away with the crying a struggling baby in her arms. She increase the distance between you but heads not inland but across the cove.

"It's mine, it's mine, my precious. Floated to me gifted wrapped like a festive offering by the sea god Poseidon himself. I longed for my own child now I have one she will not be taken from me." the hag squeals as she runs. Across the cove the seaweed and kelp thickens, mush and rotted fruit, flotsam and jetsam mounding together in a heap against a small cave mouth hidden secluded behind long fronds of creeper vines and dank tree roots. The hag enters only briefly stopping to cast a couple of large membranous stench plant globes in your direction. The aim is good and she throws a long distance for such a haggardly creature, the globes smash off seaweed covered boulders to your immediate left and right. seeing them being thrown and with a couple of seconds before they land and crack open, give me 2 x [3d6] dexterity saves to avoid suffering the vomit induced strength loss.

Further behind the trio of Pocc, Van de Poel and Elijah face off against the returning aquatic ogre. It charges across the bay, roaring from its' grinning maw, licking its thick blubbery lips and waving a fisted webbed hand. The creature is huge and strong but somehow the combined roots and fronds of thick seaweed vines and kelp roots entwine to snare and trap the ogre as he approaches. Entangle spell set off, you are not sure how long the weeds will deter the wrestling creature.

Aquatic ogre save [1d20] = 12. weakened as he is, 'Gin' Van de Poel hits the bottle and finds it empty, his heavy crossbow just too much for the weakling to keep aimed, his bolt shot, it flies harmlessly wide into the sea. Elijah, picks up the two fainting comrades and begins to head around out of the cove and unto dry land. "This beast will be upon us soon and we should take the chance to escape while we can, out of the water we may have advantage over this ogre but as we are, doomed I tell you doomed to be washed out to sea, a mess of bones and blood having been feasted on and ravaged to death." The old prophet sounds like the near thunder and with a deep voice of a sea wracked storm. After a few moments limping away, struggling under his burden, the old prophet collapses exhausted on the stony ground out of the cove. Looking over your shoulders you can see that the ogre has cut himself free of half the vines, though they continue to writhe and hamper his free movement. By time he frees one leg another is grasped and pulls him down. Within a few moments your spell will end and he will be free. He throws the trident at the group, it flies perhaps 120'ft landing close by but impaling only loose rocks and gravel with long sharpened prongs. what do you do Pocc? Seek refuge inland, possible at the ruins of the farmhouse or traverse the coastline further around and support Siggards' attempts to rescue this babe from the droopy breasts of the pus lactating hag.

actions please

happy new year.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#139 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Skillfully dodging the exploding stench globes,

Normal Dex Check (17) [3d6] = 12

Normal Dex Check (17) [3d6] = 9

Siggard stops and loads both of his pistols as quickly as he can. He calls for Face to get back in his house and resumes his chase after the hurling hag. He doesn't take the time to try to coordinate with the others, certain that they already have their hands full with the aquatic ogre. He speaks to his monkey as he resumes his chase.

"If those stink globes are her last line of defense, maybe I won't need the others help in taking this bitch down.

Follow my lead!!!"

GreyWolfVT

#140 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Pocc thinks it wise to heed Eli's wise words turning back to Van de Poel "Run! Van de Poel we need to retreat." with all the strength and haste he can muster the sea druid retreats with Eli.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”