Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy: Bounty On The Goblin HQ - 02 June 202

#901 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm fine with her taking the tooth for the Grizzly Trunk. It'd be a great use for the tooth, keeping it the game. I wonder what you might imbue it with...

What do we do about Thundred's axe though? Clay has no interest in anything that might be claimed later by a dwarf posse.

Clay will take the scrolls, and amulets and some gold instead. He can either send the amulets south for full value or use them to butter up the Duke and other nobles in Gaul.

One more thing for Marullus - and don't go telling me to make an IC post, either! :P Will Sir Albretch and the Duke offer more reward if Clay reveals that Dmukas, high shaman of Sdubok the Flaming, a high ranking goblin leader.was.also slain? He has scrolls and the electrum circlet as proof. If it seems likely, I'll make a.post. I just wanted to know in case there is more gold on the table. Thanks.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#902 Post by Stirling »

For the Object d'art, the electrum amulets. Selling it now equates to only 25 gold pieces each. Or possibly 100 gold pieces later. For the small difference Foxy is okay with selling the electrum amulets now.

The dragon tooth is another thing entirely. In game and in character, the promise from Pierpont is that it might be worth 5,000gp (that is an extra 1,000 gold pieces each). So you can keep the tooth by all means but Foxy would like to take her share. Sticking a 5,000gp item on the end of a tree trunk, doesn't matter how far you can stick it inside Scatha, it is a waste of good money. Foxy will argue her corner that three months ain't that long to wait for the merchants to return and 5,000gp+ is a lot of group money to stick up a dragons arse! Pierpont has offered 200 gold each upfront for the tooth now. The duke and the town bishops and mages can hassle for it and do their alchemy and spells for it to enchant it for all they are worth. But Foxy in character insists that if we sell it in town we double the price to a minimum of 200 platinum pieces (or 400gp each).

The other suggestion is that Grizzly takes the tooth south, as well as the axe. As Starbeard is away from keyboard for three months physically and that will be about the same time as in game calendar. Grizzly then returns to Gaul with the merchants (her going may lessen the odds of a merchant not returning at all?), and we split the proceeds then.

Foxy doesn't mind being a 'parasite on the planet' and she owes C'ang more than most, but that dragon tooth is worth several years wages in real terms.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#903 Post by Marullus »

These kinds of arguments should be made with IC posts. Since Clay went to the infirmary to get the healed Foxy, we can assume she is present.

The dragon tooth is about two feet long. It is too large for the grizzly trunk.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#904 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Per the rules, if Grizzly goes south, she is out of the game world. So I don't know it that will work.
I'd argue that the tooth is better used as a weapon for many reasons. The fluff of it is amazing.
It is will cause some sort of special damage. It can be imbued, or added to a created magic item, or used as spell components.

Clay is pleased to see Ms.O'Hare back to her usual, feisty self, but is disappointed in her greed for gold. Unless you can charm someone into buying it for more, it is only worth 200gp each. Take the amulets as your share and send them south. That will give you 500gp.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#905 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It is fine to sell it, by the way. Does anyone have a high CHA? Clay's is only 13.

Or we could present it, en mass, to the Duke, asking for whatever we might want in return for something so uniquely valuable.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#906 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint mentions a few ideas.

The tooth should go for most and safest ROI... If grizzly can go, then great. If not, we may want to cash in. Not sure how likely it successfully gets sold.
The circlet should be sold. I agree not much difference just to wait 2-3 months.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#907 Post by Dram »

Could the dragon tooth be used one of the ballista bolts? Could it be imbued with magic?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#908 Post by onlyme »

Dram wrote:Could the dragon tooth be used one of the ballista bolts? Could it be imbued with magic?
Halfpint looks at him.
That seems like a very expensive proposition for no value. Might as well pay to have the iron bolts blessed with a spell, I would think. The tooth should go south with Ms Grizzly if at all possible and she is willing. If not, I say we sell it. I for one do not believe it does the town good to wave it in front of Scatha.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#909 Post by Marullus »

I provided this in PM, so I'll share it here publically, too.

Pierpont elaborates regarding the tooth. It CAN do something potent towards Scatha - some benefit against a form of his attacks or creating a vulnerability in him to exploit.

He is capable of fashioning it into a desired form of magical item. If someone is willing to wield the item against the dragon, he'll provide this service at no charge, for the benefit of the town. (If he pays you for the tooth or if it goes south with the merchants, it leaves the game.)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#910 Post by Stirling »

Foxy

"So Pierpont buys the tooth from us for 2,000gp and imbibes it for the Duke or one of his gallant knights to go fight the dragon.

Didn't one of those mercenaries do some oath for the restoration of his knighthood? Well there is a mighty warhorse in the stables, let him joust with the beast to test his manhood."

she says over a glass of sparkling chardonnay in the tavern. "Why should we care?...."

Another bottle of wine later...

"Well if no man can be found, I will lance the scurvy creature."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#911 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw is willing to wield the weapon against Scatha. I shall wield this weapon you create. Do I have any others that will follow me on this perilous mission to kill Scatha.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#912 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"There is a warhorse, mighty and bold and trained for battle in the farriers stables. My share of the platinum goblin reward would shoe it and furnish the tack. I had some ability with a lance and the Duke holds us all to account for the Coming of Scatha. I will joust with the beast if I have to. No maidens will be sacrificed on my behalf."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#913 Post by onlyme »

(What do we need to do to settle the loot?)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#914 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It seems like we haven't gotten anyplace, sadly. Stirling had proposed a split of magic items, but Dram never weighed in, and then we disagreed about the tooth.

I would hate to see the tooth leave the game, but if it does, then it does. But, despite Foxy's plans to get more, the current offer remains from Pierpont for 100pp (200gp). If someone wants to haggle with the Duke or merchants, then please do so soon. Otherwise, we either take 100pp or we figure out a way to divide treasure with the tooth included. Clay already offered to take only the tooth and some gold (a bit more then living expenses, about 50 gp) as his share. He will offer it to the Duke in exchange for rights over his hex, which takes the tooth out of the game anyhow. Clay can sweeten the deal a bit by offering a healing potion to each of you, as well.

If anyone else wants the tooth, I think that they should, at least give up their gold, if not theor magic item. But I am opento anything, really.

We also need to decide about the amulets. As a pair, they are worth 125gp now or the possibility of 500gp much later. If you want to sell them (and Clay doesn't get the tooth), he would prefer to have them as part of his share of the treasure.

I would like to get Clay down to the dwarfs, back to the Watch, and then to see Alcide soon, so if folks can offer olutions, that would be great. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#915 Post by Stirling »

I think the tooth needs to be sold and we should try to hustle double the price since it offers a possible solution to the dragon crisis. Unless it is 'requisitioned' directly by the Duke then he can pay the extra to have it enchanted and used against the dragon. After all we are commuting ourselves to help defeat the dragon and pay the ultimate cost in defence of Gaul and its' maidens.

From Foxy's point of view, all in character. If she has to spend all her gold to buy a warhorse, buy armour and barding and supply her own magic potions as well then it's a pretty poor deal.

The tooth, just on it's own is worth up to 5,000gp. Sold in Gaul we should get 2,000gp. As a minimum Foxy feels we should all get a 400gp value share. She doesn't feel she is holding anyone to hostage over it, just trying to get what it is worth. If the Duke don't cough up then send it south.

Better off making a quick raid on the dragon's den whilst Scatha is occupied with Gaul.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#916 Post by Marullus »

You can't hustle double the cost. Pierpont is offering 1000gp. I will say the Merchants are offering 1,250 upfront; I neglected their normal math. Or, Pierpont will fashion it into a magic item for your use (free, if it is part of a plan against the dragon). The Duke is not going to offer you more than that. He may, however, be offended at you inviting a dragon to town and then trying a shakedown to extort him for coin in dealing with it. You never know.

What's the current proposal for distribution of items/cash besides the tooth?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#917 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Stirling, I hear you that you aren't trying to hold the group hostage on this, but you haven't addressed the actual offers made so far, just what Foxy wants: more money, mainly.

If Foxy still wants to try to bargain for a better price, please do so in character so we can go forward with distributing loot. (Though Marullus just alluded to the likely response, which will likely end up with the tooth being confiscated.) Clay is against selling the tooth but lacks the funds to buy you all it. If someone else wants it to use, Clay will support them, but wanted to know what they are willing to give up for it. (Clay offered the scrolls and about 200gp, plus healing potions.) If the group wants to donate it or sell it to Pierpont, Clay is okay with those things. Maybe he'll take it in trade to research or magic items, even: The axe, sword, shield, circlet, the good knife, and Clay has two items from previous adventures.

How are people feeling about the amulets? They're worth 125 gp now, or a chance at 500gp later. If folks want to stop them now, Clay requests that he is allowed to take them as part of his share, but counting as 150gp, which is a bit more than you'd get from the merchants.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#918 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- We must not let tooth leave the game it may be the only thing that will save the village. Baxtaw will give up his share of the treasure for the tooth.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#919 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare
First Group Treasure:
Foxy has the flaming sword of the goblin king. * Magic
Foxy has a sack with the goblin king's head.
Halfpint is carrying a small sack of mixed coinage (20lbs of mixed CP, SP, and EP)
- 104 cp
- 40 sp
- 56 ep
100 pp (reward money)

Second Group Treasure:
29 ep coins
25 ep bangle bracelets
13 ep
Two coffers of mixed coinage (200lbs)
- 1040 cp
- 400 sp
- 560 ep
- muddy red zircon (75gp)
- banded red and white sardonyx (100gp)
75gp gem - eye agate (75gp)
500gp Jewelry - a matching pair of most unusual electrum amulets, each set with a piece of serpentine stone. (500gp)

4 Shortbows (human make)
22 arrows and four quivers

(Shortbread's things)
60 lbs sack of dwarven personal effects collected by Shortbread
Thundred's shield * Magic
Thundred's axe * Magic

A dwarf-forged electrum circlet * Magic

Foxy: keeps the scimitar, a short bow, quiver and some arrows

Clay: keeps the Horn of Jarkul and the magic scrolls. All the dwarf personal stuff collected.

Grizzly: keeps Thundred's magic axe, a short bow, quiver and some arrows

Baxtaw: keeps Thundred's magic shield, a short bow, quiver and some arrows

Half-pint: keeps the Magic dwarf-forged electrum circlet, a short bow, a quiver and some arrows

The combined value of the money, inclusive of the platinum reward money is 1,384 gold pieces. (and 44 coppers). Shared equally that is 276gp and 8 sp. Foxy takes 275 gold pieces leaving the loose change as a tip for the tavern waitress.

The gems value is worth 250gp, and the electrum amulets worth 125gp if sold now. Total 375 gp. sell or keep. Foxy expects 75gp share when this is sorted.

"The Dragon tooth is worth 5,000gp back south. In town the artisan Pierpont is only willing to give us1,000gpfor it and enhance it in some way against the dragon. My view is that the Duke should be willing to double Pierpont's offer so that he can defend Gaul, after all he is the Duke and these are his people. Therefore my view is that the tooth is worth400gpto each of us. You can all decide to do what you want with the tooth as I am willing to relinquish all claim to rightful share of the tooth in exchange for equal value of goods. Four healing potions for example, or for the Duke to buy me the warhorse and some armour. I don't think I am being selfish sticking out for the best deal." Foxy says at the tavern table.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#920 Post by Marullus »

The Horn of Jarkul is already Clay's as loot from a previous Expedition. It isn't divvied now.

The group needs to decide on this treasure; Foxy can then go RP her request to the ArchDuke for a warhorse and barding.

The group exhausts all avenues to find the best price for the tooth. The Merchants are the most eager and willing to pay, either 1,250 now, or ~5,000 later; either way, they're in a hurry to leave town before the dragon destroys it.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”