(002) Regina Downport

Eris
Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: (002) Regina Downport

#21 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:Carlos uses the terminal to find the call code to the local scout base, gives it a call and tries to get directed to the Quartermaster's assistant's office. Once he gets through, he tries talking the clerk into 'surplusing' a couple sets of shipboard fatigues in his size, a heavy jacket, coveralls, a couple decent pairs of BOOTS, socks, and underwere using the issue authorisation code in his draft orders, hoping the bureacracy hasn't caught up with him being riffed yet.
Carlos is met with chuckles and then outright laughter.

The man's voice on the comm says continuing to chuckle,"And would you like a detached Scout Ship while you're at it?"

"Like, I haven't heard this tale a hundred times in the last month."
he says with a sigh, "And it hasn't worked yet. If you're active duty, come on by the base and we'll look at your credentials."

"If you're one of the grey suit brigade and on inactive duty, DO THE SAME."
he says with emphasis, "I might have something for you, but with the glut of recently detached I really doubt it."
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#22 Post by Eris »

Now that you are here, yes, I'll be offering you some hooks for adventure, but this is also a big sandbox where you can find your own trouble...er...adventures. :)

In case you don't know....

1. A Star Port is often much more than a place ships land and lift. It is often a town, sometimes an entire city, filled with people that live here full time and many who work here and live outside the Port's perimeter.

Laws on a Star Port are enforced by Imperial Starport Authority and don't conform to local restrictions. Many Spacers never leave a planet's Star Port perimeter, except for tourist activities, as they can do everything they need to do aboard the Port.

2. There is a Free Traders Hall in just about every Star Port. Many times you'll find jobs, charters and positions posted there on a job's board rather than on line. This, supposedly, cuts down on unqualified outsiders answering ads. It doesn't cost much (100 cr per year) to join the Free Traders Guild and that gives you access to Guild Halls all over Imperial (and much of non-Imperial) space as well as discounts at the Brubaker's Bar and Grill that is next to virtually all Guild Halls.

If there isn't a Naval, Army, or Scout base there will be "Welcome Centers, Rec Halls and Service Centers" for the appropriate branches. If there is a base, those services will be performed on base.

If this is a big port (generally A, B, and some C's) there will be a Traveller's Aid Society Club for members and their guests. It costs a 1,000,000 cr to join, but it's possible that one of your group is already a member. Many deals are struck and adventures begun over a drink in the TAS barroom. Members get room and board and use of the facilities, guests have to pay.

3. All Star Ports are going to have one or more public bar. At a big port like the one on Regina there will be bars that cater to Scouts, Line Merchants, Free Traders, Naval, Marine and Army personnel, mixed groups and locals.

4. Star Port property is a "Free Trade Zone." FTZ's provide landing, loading, warehousing, manufacture, and sale of goods without the need of passing through the local planet's Customs. You should be able to find clothing, equipment, and almost any other goods for sale in this area.

At a large Star Port like Regina there will be upscale malls, areas with small shops, and open markets where locals and free traders are hawking goods (Carlos might find some zapana for sale there if he looks for it). You'll also find seedier districts where items of questionable ownership can be found, bars where a lone spacer might get shanghaied, gaming halls and places where partners of ill-repute might be found.

5. All of you have several thousand credits on you and might want to convert some of it to a more thief proof form. Banks will gladly sell you Debit cards for a small fee (2%) that are usable in most any port where that bank, or one of it's partners, has a branch or ATM (that's everywhere). It costs nothing to withdraw credits or local currency from a card, but the 2% fee applies to any you add to the card. The cards are biometericly tagged to one or more people and are thought to be very secure.

Don't rely on your electronic devices too much. Get out and go somewhere! :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee
Candles Against The Night, Jimi Woo; 38; 7B9BA9; Pilot-3, Comm-1, Broker-2, Admin-1, Streetwise-2, Steward-1, Computer-1, Vacc-1, Pistol-2, Cutlass-1; 60,000 lbC; AutoPistol, Cutlass, VaccSuit, HandComp.
Winedark Game: Merchant 1st Officer Antony "Andy" Sokolov, 787AA8, 46, 7 terms; Admin-1, Bribery-2, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Navigation-4, Pilot-1, Revolver-1, Shotgun-1;Benefits: 8,000/yr, Cr50,000, Low Passage, Low Passage, Revolver, Shotgun

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#23 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos uses the terminal to find the call code to the local scout base, gives it a call and tries to get directed to the Quartermaster's assistant's office. Once he gets through, he tries talking the clerk into 'surplusing' a couple sets of shipboard fatigues in his size, a heavy jacket, coveralls, a couple decent pairs of BOOTS, socks, and underwere using the issue authorisation code in his draft orders, hoping the bureacracy hasn't caught up with him being riffed yet.
Carlos is met with chuckles and then outright laughter.

The man's voice on the comm says continuing to chuckle,"And would you like a detached Scout Ship while you're at it?"

"Like, I haven't heard this tale a hundred times in the last month."
he says with a sigh, "And it hasn't worked yet. If you're active duty, come on by the base and we'll look at your credentials."

"If you're one of the grey suit brigade and on inactive duty, DO THE SAME."
he says with emphasis, "I might have something for you, but with the glut of recently detached I really doubt it."
Carlos shrugs. "I can do that. Yeah, I'm a greysuit. Upended from a cushy gag in Daibei, dumped here per the Emp's pleasure. I didn't ask to get drafted and shafted, tove, it just happened. I'd love to go home to my old berth, but my old roomie's likely redecorated by now, and the Emp won't thumb for it. Ungrateful wonk. Can I make an appointment?"
Candles Against The Night:
Game Janitor, ZZZZZZ, Everything, 10 Terms
JOT-90, Admin-90, Fast Talk-90
---------------------------
In The Marches:
Carlos Matsumi, 79AAA7, Scouts, 33, 3.5 terms,
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Justin3.14
Strider
Strider

#24 Post by Justin3.14 »

Benton looks around, the hangar its a hive of activity, workers, civilians, security, military all of them with some place to be, he lets out a sigh, Carlos seems to have hit the nail on the head "Drafted and Shafted"

"Bar, I'm headed to a bar, this has been an interesting day, it deserves the proper ending. I have my my pad with me, I'll let you know if i find anything."

The station is packed to the rafters, thawed popsicles are everywhere, all shapes and sizes, backgrounds and intentions. I spy a bank at the end of the concourse and pay it a visit. The bank clerk seems tired, i figure i'm the billionth person she has seen today, but my money is squared away. The security guards look sharp, the pick of the crop from 1000's of stranded troops, finding work in here wont be easy.

I find a non descript bar, grab a seat in the corner and order up 2 beers, the first one is gone in seconds, i wipe my mouth clear with the back of my arm, suppressing a burp. Slipping my pad onto the table, calling up my latest lectures on 'Industrial Revolutions and their effects on non human societies" Pulling off my hat and giving my scalp a good scratch I raise my glass in a toast and settle in for a few hours, this may call for more beer....
Benton McKenzie 7568C7
Scouts 2 /Army 1, ---, 3 terms, 31, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Electronics-1, Ground Vehicle-1, JOAT-1, Pilot-1, Riding-1, Rifle-1, Vacc Suit-1. Blade.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#25 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:Carlos shrugs. "I can do that. Yeah, I'm a greysuit. Upended from a cushy gag in Daibei, dumped here per the Emp's pleasure. I didn't ask to get drafted and shafted, tove, it just happened. I'd love to go home to my old berth, but my old roomie's likely redecorated by now, and the Emp won't thumb for it. Ungrateful wonk. Can I make an appointment?"
"Yeah, I'm from Rurur over in the Spearhead subsector, and I'll never see that world again."says the quartermaster soberly, "That's what happens when you join His Majesty's Scout Service. Become a Scout see the universe, right?"

"Cool your jets, Scout!"
he says,"You don't need an appointment. We're open from 0700 to 1900 every day except New Year Day and the Emperor's Birthday. Building 4, room 04, that's 404. If I'm not here somebody who can hear you out, and probably help you out a bit, will be."

"Later!"
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#26 Post by Eris »

Justin3.14 wrote:"Bar, I'm headed to a bar, this has been an interesting day, it deserves the proper ending. I have my my pad with me, I'll let you know if i find anything."

The station is packed to the rafters, thawed popsicles are everywhere, all shapes and sizes, backgrounds and intentions. I spy a bank at the end of the concourse and pay it a visit. The bank clerk seems tired, i figure i'm the billionth person she has seen today, but my money is squared away.
The bank is Hortalez et Cie, and that's a good choice as you'll find branches and affiliates everywhere. How much of your funds are you keeping in cash and how much are you putting on the Hortalez et Cie card?
Justin3.14 wrote:The security guards look sharp, the pick of the crop from 1000's of stranded troops, finding work in here wont be easy.

I find a non descript bar, grab a seat in the corner and order up 2 beers, the first one is gone in seconds, i wipe my mouth clear with the back of my arm, suppressing a burp. Slipping my pad onto the table, calling up my latest lectures on 'Industrial Revolutions and their effects on non human societies" Pulling off my hat and giving my scalp a good scratch I raise my glass in a toast and settle in for a few hours, this may call for more beer....
The bar is only a quarter filled, as it's early afternoon, but as you sit it slowly fills over the next couple of hours. Glancing up occasionally, you see that there is a good mix of grey coveralls, corporate uniforms, and the florid shirts that are the unofficial uniform of the Scout Service. No one knows why Scouts all seem to wear what is called 'Hawaiian Shirts' when they aren't in their grey black uniforms, but it's almost a cliche that they do.

Rumor time...

At a table near you, you can't help but overhear a group of three men talking about General Products. They are dressed in Delgado Trading uniforms.

One is saying, "I'd never work on a GP ship, they're crap!"

"Ah, they ain't that bad." says another, "but lately their military products have been plagued with disaster."

"As for example, Kinunir Class." says a third "Yeah, I hear there's a hulk over at GP's shipyard that'll never be completed now that the Navy has pulled the plug on their order."

"They got some kind of defensive screen that was supposed to make them untouchable by anything in space." says the first.

"I hear they keep blowing up on their own." the third chuckles, "That's why the Navy canceled the contract."

"Maybe that was part of it, but I heard they cost about three times what a Ling or GaSbAG ship of the same displacement costs." says the second adding with a shrug, "Besides Duke William's mama is a Ling and he's in charge of things here now."

The three then drift into a conversation about some women they were with the previous night that is of no consequence to you.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#27 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos shrugs. "I can do that. Yeah, I'm a greysuit. Upended from a cushy gag in Daibei, dumped here per the Emp's pleasure. I didn't ask to get drafted and shafted, tove, it just happened. I'd love to go home to my old berth, but my old roomie's likely redecorated by now, and the Emp won't thumb for it. Ungrateful wonk. Can I make an appointment?"
"Yeah, I'm from Rurur over in the Spearhead subsector, and I'll never see that world again."says the quartermaster soberly, "That's what happens when you join His Majesty's Scout Service. Become a Scout see the universe, right?"

"Cool your jets, Scout!"
he says,"You don't need an appointment. We're open from 0700 to 1900 every day except New Year Day and the Emperor's Birthday. Building 4, room 04, that's 404. If I'm not here somebody who can hear you out, and probably help you out a bit, will be."

"Later!"
Carlos grins lopsidedly again. "Works for me, tove. One piece." He logs off and turns to Zaki. "Care to make a run with me? No offense meant, but you, dressed like THAT, should be a significant distraction for me to midnight req anything in sight."

A If she says yes, hail a cab, "Imp'rl Scout base, building 4 please." and small talks along the way.

B if she declines, the same, but stony silence, checking out the scenery along the way.
In The Marches:
Gunnery-1, JOAT-1, Mechanical-1, Navigation-3, Pilot-1, Slug Pistol-1, Vacc Suit-2. Blade.

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#28 Post by Nuke66 »

Edwardo goes to check in at the TAS. He approaches the desk and presents his ID. "Edwardo Muscha, I'd like a berth"

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by joertexas »

[quote="Keven"]Carlos grins lopsidedly again. "Works for me, tove. One piece." He logs off and turns to Zaki. "Care to make a run with me? No offense meant, but you, dressed like THAT, should be a significant distraction for me to midnight req anything in sight."

A If she says yes, hail a cab, "Imp'rl Scout base, building 4 please." and small talks along the way.

Zaki considers him dispassionately for a couple of heartbeats. Then, her expression softens, and she rises from her seat, sets her glass on the bar, and turns to him with a hint of a smile. "The effect will be ruined when they see me walking, I'm afraid. I can't wear heels higher than this without having to be carried home."
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97
Slug Rifle- 3, Medicine-2, Tactics-2, Zero-G-2, Streetwise- 2

In the Marches
Zaki Shursila, 486B97, Army, Major, 3 terms, 31
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#30 Post by Keven »

joertexas wrote:
Keven wrote:Carlos grins lopsidedly again. "Works for me, tove. One piece." He logs off and turns to Zaki. "Care to make a run with me? No offense meant, but you, dressed like THAT, should be a significant distraction for me to midnight req anything in sight."

Zaki considers him dispassionately for a couple of heartbeats. Then, her expression softens, and she rises from her seat, sets her glass on the bar, and turns to him with a hint of a smile. "The effect will be ruined when they see me walking, I'm afraid. I can't wear heels higher than this without having to be carried home."
Carlos grins again. "You'll be fine."

They grab that cab, head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."

What kind of roll do I need here, and what's the campaign number?
In The Marches:

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by joertexas »

Keven wrote:Carlos grins again. "You'll be fine."

They grab that cab, head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."
While Carlos hustles the local scouts quartermaster, Zaki looks up the nearest shopping area on her perscomp where she can buy a few outfits, and get her hair styled into something more manageable.
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches
Admin-1, Air/Raft-1, Computer-1, Gambling-1, Medic-2, Rifle-1, SMG-1, Streetwise-1.

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#32 Post by Eris »

Nuke66 wrote:Edwardo goes to check in at the TAS. He approaches the desk and presents his ID. "Edwardo Muscha, I'd like a berth"
The clerk is a young woman with short blonde hair, blue eyes and a small scar on her left cheek. It looks like a nick from a blade...a dueling scar, perhaps? She is wearing a name tag of white and gold on her dark blue jacket. The tag proclaims her as "Armstrong."

She smiles "Ah, yes! Welcome to Regina Sir Edwardo. We have room 307 open, Sir. If you have no objection I'll book it for you?"

"By your clothing, I see you have lately been a guest of His Imperial Majesty. Might our concierge service assist you in any way? Clothing, banking, that sort of thing?" she adds continuing to smile.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#33 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote: They grab that cab,
The cab drives across the Starport property away from the commercial port and through part of the Startown. As you pass though the town you see a large market area with both open air stalls and small shops to your left. To the right there are apartment houses, bars and office buildings. At the edge of this town you come to a large gate in the fence leading into another fenced compound complete with landing pads, hangers, warehouses and office buildings. The sign over the gate lists this as "Imperial Scout Service/Regina Base."

The cab stops and Carlos has to show his ID before the cab is allowed inside.
Keven wrote: head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."

482 is the code. Roll 2d6 (no modifier) 6/8/A+ (minimal/normal/maximal success)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#34 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote: They grab that cab,
The cab drives across the Starport property away from the commercial port and through part of the Startown. As you pass though the town you see a large market area with both open air stalls and small shops to your left. To the right there are apartment houses, bars and office buildings. At the edge of this town you come to a large gate in the fence leading into another fenced compound complete with landing pads, hangers, warehouses and office buildings. The sign over the gate lists this as "Imperial Scout Service/Regina Base."

The cab stops and Carlos has to show his ID before the cab is allowed inside.
Keven wrote: head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."

482 is the code. Roll 2d6 (no modifier) 6/8/A+ (minimal/normal/maximal success)
[2d6] = 10
In The Marches:

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#35 Post by Eris »

Keven wrote:head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."
The Scout you talk to is an older fellow, bald with a fringe of gray hair, wearing a short sleeved Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts. He introduces himself as Bob and seems quite taken by Zaki as he keeps glancing at her while talking with Carlos.

Carlos and Bob spar back and forth with both of them exchanging stories that rise to the level of tall tale. By the time they are done, Carlos has acquired several pieces of "surplussed" gear: 2 fatigues, 2 pair of coveralls, a pair of boots and a duffel to hold them.

Turning away slightly, Bob reaches under his counter and emerges with an unmarked box, slightly bigger than a shoe box, that he places on the counter top. He then reaches under the counter again and brings up 3 boxes of 9 mm ammunition. The box contains a 9 mm auto pistol with a slide holster. Each box of ammo contains 50 rounds.

"If you ain't got one already, I'm thinking you might need this, too." Bob says with a wink.
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Keven
Ranger
Ranger

#36 Post by Keven »

Eris wrote:
Keven wrote:head into Building 4, Room 04, where Carlos tries to fast talk the quartermaster into the requested 2 or 3 sets of shipboard fatigues, the 2 pair of coveralls, the boots, and a duffel to stuff them in. "Hey, when they loaded me in the freezer, I lost my '20 years gathering' and all my kit."
The Scout you talk to is an older fellow, bald with a fringe of gray hair, wearing a short sleeved Hawaiian shirt and cargo shorts. He introduces himself as Bob and seems quite taken by Zaki as he keeps glancing at her while talking with Carlos.

Carlos and Bob spar back and forth with both of them exchanging stories that rise to the level of tall tale. By the time they are done, Carlos has acquired several pieces of "surplussed" gear: 2 fatigues, 2 pair of coveralls, a pair of boots and a duffel to hold them.

Turning away slightly, Bob reaches under his counter and emerges with an unmarked box, slightly bigger than a shoe box, that he places on the counter top. He then reaches under the counter again and brings up 3 boxes of 9 mm ammunition. The box contains a 9 mm auto pistol with a slide holster. Each box of ammo contains 50 rounds.

"If you ain't got one already, I'm thinking you might need this, too." Bob says with a wink.
Carlos chuckles. "I HAD one, but prolly back in my room back in Daibei." He puts the box in the duffel. "Muchies thankzie, tove. Hey, where do I scam up some Hawashirts at? Any place you recommend?"

Carlos will hit the store recommended as Zaki shops, hopefully, they're in the same area...
In The Marches:

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#37 Post by Nuke66 »

"Yes please Miss Armstrong. I also may be in need if a few more rooms, are any more available?" Edwardo counters. "And yes, I need to be rid of the nasty jumpsuit, and am in dire need of a shower. Go ahead and have a casual set sent up as I clean up, I think I will deal with anything much more than that on the morrow." He adds with a wink.

joertexas
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by joertexas »

OOG: Am I missing something, or did LSP put us all up in the same fancy hotel suite - the entire 4th floor, as I recall?
Joe Roberts (JR)
District 268
Prerna Nayar, 7C8A97

In the Marches

Eris
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#40 Post by Eris »

joertexas wrote:OOG: Am I missing something, or did LSP put us all up in the same fancy hotel suite - the entire 4th floor, as I recall?
No, you're missing nothing. LSP did give you the entire 4th floor of the Imperial Hotel, gratis. However, I'm thinking that some of your group would rather not be too beholden to that megacorp. Edwardo is making use of his TAS card, for instance, to get his own digs. Doesn't mean he's ditching the rest of you, though. Or maybe he is. :)
Character Stats
In the Marches, Referee

Return to “In the Marches (Traveller)”