Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

AleBelly
enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

Re: Chapter 13 - Azurpenia's Prison

#21 Post by enn.in.me »

If there is major treasure that we can't leave, I suspect it will be safest in the prison. It might mean we have to make a return trip.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf remains unmounted.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Storm11 »

There's always the possibility that you could summon/conjure/charm a mount or two perhaps if there is a lot of treasure
Greys Campaign.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#24 Post by enn.in.me »

Tensar's floating disk....

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by AleBelly »

I screwed up in the estimates for travel. The party, with an armored dwarf and gnome, should be traveling at 1.8 mph along the road and 0.9 mph through the forested areas. We’ll go with the 2.4/1.2 this time only since you all had been planning on this and that was the information I gave you

The group departs Alleborg two hours after sunrise, finding the Sambords’ sage rather unhelpful. Their mounts stabled and well cared for, they depart along the road heading west. It is misty in the morning, though the moisture in the air brings warmth. By noon, they reach the elbow of the old road as it bends north, having traveled 8.8 miles. The sun has burned off the mist, and it is now a clear day. The air is the warmest it's been over the past few months.

Reluctantly, they leave the road to bash through the woods at a 245 degree bearing.

Let me know if there are any preparations, scouting, etc; I'll update again tomorrow.

Date: 16 Culling, Year 42
Time: 11:50
Conditions: 50F, northwest wind at 9 mph, clear
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: sun
Intended Direction of Travel: 245 degree bearing, 8.8 miles traveled today
Injury Status: None

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by tkrexx »

Any you boys been in any kinda fight, hah? Hyde smiles and interviews the new recruits. I mean, otha than with ya sistas? We got Goblins out there, and Orcs. His smile vanishes. And worse, yeahh, alot worse. We be gonna find out how much worse.

Just making sure someone has a hammer to pound spikes.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Keehnelf »

Sagthistle simply nods in response to Hyde's question, and readies her short bow for the march.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Zhym »

"I reckon we're gonna look back on them times we were just fighting goblins and orcs with fond nostalgia," ventures Angus. He lets Galan scout ahead and follows about 60' or so behind.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion stays alert, adjusting her new banded mail armor while wondering if she should have gone with the bronze-tinted bands instead of the less-expensive silver-tinted ones. She liked the decorative flare on this one, and that should count for something.

As she listens to the debriefing of the upcoming setting, she worries. She has heard of prisons, with their drab gray interiors and lack of color. She really hopes this one at least has some redeeming qualities.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by ybn1197 »

tkrexx wrote:Any you boys been in any kinda fight, hah? Hyde smiles and interviews the new recruits. I mean, otha than with ya sistas? We got Goblins out there, and Orcs. His smile vanishes. And worse, yeahh, alot worse. We be gonna find out how much worse.
Watts smiles a bit to Hyde's question. "I can't see that I've been in the kinda fight you are asking about." Watts pauses a moment as if deep in thought. "But then again I prefer to avoid those types of situations. There is far more easier ways to see what you want done accomplished without drawing a blade."

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#32 Post by CAI4 »

Chet will remain back with the main group.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf listens as Hyde takes the measure of the newer members. He keeps quiet, unusual as that may be. He travels in the middle of the group.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by tkrexx »

"I can't see that I've been in the kinda fight you are asking about." Watts pauses a moment as if deep in thought. "But then again I prefer to avoid those types of situations. There is far more easier ways to see what you want done accomplished without drawing a blade."
Hahah! Hyde grins and points at Watts, I like your way of thinkin', yeahh!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by AleBelly »

With Galan then Angus leading the way, the party moves through the thick forest. After a couple of hours, glimpses of a ridge of hills, a few miles distant, are intermittently visible between the still leafless branches.

It is then that Galan almost stumbles into the middle of a trio of wolves. 20' to his right (north), he sees the canines devouring a recent kill...it looks to be a deer.

Surprise? party 1-2 [1d6] = 6 Others 1-2 [1d6] = 2

It's possible to walk past the distracted wolves with no issues. It would also be possible to ambush the wolves, though the main party, being about 140' away, wouldn't be able to do much before the wolves were made aware of their presence.

Actions?

Time: 13:50
Conditions: 52F, northwest wind at 10 mph, clear
Intended Direction of Travel: 245 degree bearing, 10.2 miles traveled today, 1.2 mph through forest

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#36 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan backs away and summons the rest of the party to observe the wolves. "No need to interrupt their dinner, but whatever."

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#37 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny peers over briefly and says almost under her breath, "It's a pleasant change to be out in the woods and not be what's for dinner."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion watches the wolves in admiration. She remembers watching how beautiful it was to watch a wolfpack devour a herd of sheep not that long ago in the Kenan prairie back home.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#39 Post by CAI4 »

Chet agrees that they should just walk past the wolves, though he prepares to speak to them if the group is noticed.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by AleBelly »

Galan ushers the party to take a wide berth around the wolves. A group this large can't really hope to pass that close unnoticed, but the wolves allow the party to pass with guarded glances once they see the spoils of their hunt aren't at risk.

The hills come closer into view, though the ground slopes gently downwards. They pass through a swampy area, but with the ranger's help they pick a path through. Then, it's a huff up the hill, and after a few hundred feet of ascent they reach the crest of the highest hill, and the stone structure Chet described before. The sun hangs low, minutes from sinking below the horizon. The party has likely never had a vantage point such as this, and would likely be distracted by the purple and orange colors thrown off by the sunset...if something even more amazing wasn't unfolding right in front of them. Chet produces a luminescent blue glass orb and holds it aloft. Its light melts away the stone, revealing stairs heading down into the hills. He leads the way down, stopping to allow the others to enter.

The party descends, and finds themselves in a large shadowy chamber. Pacing back and forth is Lady Crucem Capilli, who Chet has mentioned before. Over 8' tall, with black, dragon-like wings protruding from her back, she possesses otherworldly beauty. Smooth, flawless blue skin - matching the color of Chet's orb - stands in stark contrast to her ivory-white horns. A thin green vapor trails from her nose as she exhales in excitement at the sight of the monk. She is delighted. "You brought friends, Chet! I expect you to liberate many treasures from Azurpenia's abode. You will, of course, be rewarded handsomely!" she smiles, revealing pearl-white teeth.

With all the new members, please give a one- and two-abreast marching order.

Maps produced by Chet and Tempus are here

Time: 17:40
Conditions: 52F, west wind at 5 mph, clear
Intended Direction of Travel: 245 degree bearing, 10.2 miles traveled today, 1.2 mph through forest

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”