Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Bromric/Reclaim the Mountain - June 3, 1 VC

#201 Post by Keehnelf »

Grimdar simply looks impassively at Bromric. "I know very little of the surface, or of the stone near the surface. It is often too stained with the work of humanoids, and tainted by the presence of plant matter, for me to find it a comfortable place. Of your animals, I know even less. I apologize." He thinks for a time. "I may go up to spy upon them, briefly, just to see what manner of thing they might be; but I am no guard-watch for your beasts." he intoned.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Marullus »

It was worth a shot. :)

He looks to the others for their decision. Will the venture deep into the Thringrinir's realm, or return with the ponies to the tower until it is time to secure the mountain's gate?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

just to reiterate, Perthrin is delving with Bromric. Just waiting on Gilgamesh and Kennit.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#204 Post by KingOfCowards »

I didn't realize that the group met back up with Kennit yet. The last I knew he was left back at the surface of the chimney with Yusef

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Marullus »

Sorry for the confusion. This is what applies to Kennit.
Marullus wrote: Once he has helped Jerdan with securing the pathway to his kin, Bromric ascends to discuss with all the others and prepare for the next leg of their journey.

To the others he adds, "The creatures below are orc-kin, twisted by mages into new form. Their blood is acid on stone and they regenerate like trolls. However... they treated with us honestly and they appear to understand a warrior's honor. I do not see treachery so far in their offer of treasure given in gratitude by their queen." He pauses. "The mountain is full of enemies and scant few friends. They were wrought by men and not by evil gods and may yet have choice in their fates. Parlaying with their queen requires us to go deeper and further in, rather than out or around. I do not require any to go with me or to share this risk, knowing who it is we treat with. If any wish to turn back, I do not fault you, but ask you take the mounts with you safely back to the tower. If we all proceed, then I thank you for your bravery and intrepid steps on this journey, but we must also decide what can be done with the mounts and gear which cannot follow this route."

He looks to each for response.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#206 Post by Spartakos »

Sorry I've been so quiet.

Gilgamesh is torn. On the one hand, these things are freaking him out; they look like he expects enemies to look. On the other, so far they haven't done anything dangerous, and even Grimdar has kind of implied they're not likely treacherous. On the third hand, he hasn't made a single copper off this venture so far, and would like some return. On the fourth hand, we're low on provisions...what are we fixing to eat if we go venturing into the depths?

Mulling over all this in his head, he does at least ask his companions about the prospects of food.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Glad to see he has finally brought something of use to a delve, Perthrin replies that he has a total of 15 days of provisions still, which he is willing to share. I would ekthpect the Thringrinir, ath our hothtth, would provide uth with food. Of thome thort.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Marullus »

Bromric purses his lips and considers as well. "It is true, I have dispersed my fresh rations. I have 10 days of preserved food for continuing and the return." He asks as well what Yusuf carries.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#209 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit has only 3 days rations left, but is willing to go on if the others are.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Keehnelf »

Yusuf has 5 days of preserved rations remaining.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Marullus »

Bromric thinks deeply. "That is 28 days rations among the four of us, beyond what the Thringrinir might offer which we find palatable. If we all go ahead, I must send Yusuf back with the mounts. With all the extra digging gear accounted for with him, we can travel more lightly. I'll send him with his own five days food." A strong vote for Perthrin. Gilgamesh not totally decided. Kennit willing, if the others are. Bromric looks between them. "To tell the truth, this will be a dangerous gamble, and I am not entirely at ease sending Yusuf alone with our mounts and possessions, given our encounters on the way here. I hold no ill will should you not wish to come, and will thank you for seeing things safely back to the tower."

"If you do come, of course," he continues, "we are in uncharted territory. We'll see the home territory of an unknown race. Seek to make friends of what we are inclined to see only as enemies. Treat as envoys on behalf of the ArchDuke and perhaps change the future of this mountain and this land."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

And ethtablith the bathith for the relationthip with your people, too, Mithter Bromric. Thith ith hithtory in the making. Perthrin realises he is excited about something for the first time since his face was destroyed by the bugbear.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#213 Post by Spartakos »

Eh, let's go for it...all for one and one for all and all that.

Gilgamesh agrees to venture with the others into the depths of the earth, to meet with the strange creatures' queen.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by Keehnelf »

Great, direction decided! I will update tonight when I have more time (first day of classes today and alllllllll meetings).

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Keehnelf »

June 14, 1 VC - 10:40am

The party sends Yusuf on his way the night of June 11th with his remaining food, carrying the excavation tools to return them and the pack animals to the reclaimed tower. The rest of the party heads below and camps overnight with the thringrinir, who stand silent watch over the exhausted group near the entrances to the chamber.

In the morning, the olive-skinned humanoids lead the party through the rough entrance which leads immediately into a series of natural cavern structures that twist ever downward into the bowels of the earth. Only rarely do the caverns resolve into something like a clear path: more often, they are sprawling, catacomb-like warrens of interconnected openings or broad, low-ceilinged chambers shaped by eons of slow-moving water, their passage accompanied by the hard-edged echoes of footsteps and bootsteps and their heavy breath as they struggle with the uneven terrain. A torch or a lantern is kept lit all through the hours of travel, though the thringrinir don't seem to need light sources, to aid Kennit in keeping his footing in the oppressive gloom. Many times, the party spy shadows moving at the edge of the lantern-light, scurrying to hide behind columns of spired stone, but the thringrinir pay them no mind and none approach or accost the travelers. When questioned, Jerdan merely grunts, and says, "Thringrinir are the masters of the depths" as if no more explanation were required.

Endless days pass in such travel, with the stores of the party slowly diminishing. "We can provide more," says Jerdan, "when we reach home."

Finally, after two long days and another seemingly endless morning, the party passes out of a low arched tunnel on to a broad coarse-sand beach under a gently sloping but low ceiling that stretches out of sight. The sound of water dripping into water can be heard from some distance, and the thringrinir set off along the left wall of the vast chamber at a slow jog. As the party members fall into line behind them, another pair of the heavily-scarred humanoids appears suddenly out of the flickering darkness, dressed like the others, and hail Jerdan in their odd tongue. They seem to exchange few pleasantries, and by the end of a handful of phrases Jerdan is motioning for the party to follow him out into the open space of the chamber.

Perhaps a hundred yards out, the very edge of a broad, black pool comes into sight, glimmering in the lantern-light. Just before it, a single massive column of natural stone rises out of the coarse sand, perhaps ten feet in diameter. Carved into its outer face is a set of crude steps spiraling up to--and through--the low ceiling of the chamber. Jerdan leads the way, and the party follows, becoming dimly aware of a din and clamor distantly echoing. At the top of the step, they have entered a natural gallery of sorts, long and broad with many tunnels opening around it. Jerdan leads the party through one of these, and along an irregularly rising and descending passage worn with the tread of many feet, toward the source of the noise. The passage eventually opens into a massive vaulted chamber, illuminated by a mighty bonfire dominating the center of the room and by a number of fires atop poles around the perimeter as well. The walls, which rise steeply toward an egg-shaped dome, are rough native stone like the rest of this complex, but are intricately carved from top to bottom in crude runes and whorls.

The din dies down as the group enters, and they see what has been making it. Perhaps thirty more of the thringrinir are gathered here, a half-dozen of them caught in the midst of some terrible blood-sport, weapons drawn, sinews taut and mouths panting, clustered together half-wrestling and half-dueling with one another near the bonfire as the rest look on--or looked on, since now they have turned to see the newcomers. On the opposite side of the bonfire, the party is dimly aware of a tall stone structure rising up against one wall of the chamber, from this perspective wreathed in flames. From atop the structure, a high, piping, musical voice rises in greeting. Jerdan answers curtly before dropping to one knee, as do the other newly-arrived thringrinir. Standing once more, he turns to Bromric and nods. "The queen wishes you welcome. Do not offend her."

And he starts around the fire toward the structure on the far side.

Please deduct three days' rations apiece.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As the group walks deeper into the mountain, Perthrin asks their guides about customs and how to address their queen, wondering if they typically bow, kneel or anything else. He asks if she speaks the.common tongue too.

Let me know who to deduct ration for, please.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#217 Post by KingOfCowards »

As the thringrinir drop to one knee, so does Kennit, not wishing to be rude or stand out any more than he already does. He'll follow Bromric's lead, as this is his rodeo for now.

Last 3 days of rations deducted

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Keehnelf »

Jerdan, during the trip, offers a handful of tidbits but his laconic style does not convey much. "The queen is to be obeyed in all things. She is the life of the clan of thringrinir. Drop to one knee to show her honor, do not turn your back to her while you or she is speaking. She does speak the common tongue."

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#219 Post by Spartakos »

Knowing it is always best to bow to custom in a strange land, Gilgamesh likewise kneels to show his obeisance. His hand itches to hold the hilt of his sword, but he pushes down his apprehension...his eyes, however, remain wary.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin drops to one knee as well. Knowing his speech is garbled and difficult to understand, Perthrin also allows Bromric to lead the discussions.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”