Session 0: Character Creation

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#81 Post by Faolan7 »

Sorry for not posting recently. I got overwhelmed with homework.
I'm mostly using the character sheets at this point, but since my update, this is what we still need:

Hometown: Just Rusty's
Specialty: Just Rusty (Did he choose cartographer? Marullus mentioned it was covered)
Wises: Just Rusty
Nature: Have y'all done the questions yet?
Circles/Relations: Need to flesh out; Rusty doesn't seem to have started
Gear: Haven't started
Spells: Finished
Alignment: Still need Enoch's and Rusty's
Belief: Need Marullus' and Rusty's
Instinct: Need Rusty's
Raiment: Finished

I may have missed things. I just did I quick look over 'cause I'm still busy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Marullus »

I am looking for group thoughts on my belief (see previous post at bottom of last page). If others like the direction, I will likely use, "Undead are unclean and unholy and have no place on this earth."

For gear, I am less experienced.Rusty and Enoch, what are your best practices?

Gear slots
Isabelle will have a backpack and cloak, since she has no armor and can't use fighter or dungeoneer anyway.

Rusty has platemail so only has a satchel and can't have a backpack (which is good as our primary Fighter, anyway.)

What about Coil and Enoch? Backpack or satchel?

We know we have six slots (Isabelle) and three slots (Rusty) and at least three slots each for the other two. So, that's 15, 18, or 21 slots for gear.

Gear
Isabelle is focused on packing food and torches.
Isabellewould like some garlic.
Do we need a tinderbox? We have no survivalist skill.
Isabelle will pack a Mirror.
Do we need rope, spikes, hammer?
Is Enoch packing stakes and a mallet?

Light
A torch gives full light to two and dim light to two. The Dhampir works normally in dim light with no penalty. Both Rusty and the Dhampir have two-handed weapons and the Cleric has mace-and-shield. So, only Isabelle can carry the torches. If we use torches, we have to assign a "dim light" penalty to either rusty or coil for any given action/conflict.

Each slot devoted to torches provides four torches for two turns each, or eight turns per slot. A lantern would light all three besides the Dhampir, but is two flasks for three turns each or six turns total. I think it seems more efficient to use torches over a lantern. Thoughts?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#83 Post by Enoch »

I do have equipment statted out, but it's provisional. I don't mind changing it.

Magda will be using a satchel. Backpacks are great for carrying things; bad for hunting things.

One trick for carrying capacity: pack a large sack or a pair of small sacks if you can. That gives you expandability (at the cost of having to drop them if you fill them and need your hands). Still, great for stuffing with treasure and beating feet back to town.

Food and torches are great. Magda can't actually share your food. She can store fresh blood like rations, but like fresh rations they do expire when the Town phase starts. Maybe I should drop some of her gear in favor of a bit more carrying capacity for blood.

Magda currently does have garlic around her neck (she's not mechanically repelled by it like a full vampire is, but it is, in her mind, sort of a hair shirt) and a mirror, but if Isabelle wants to carry one I can switch mine for something else--maybe another skin for blood; maybe something else. Would Isabelle mind if Magda borrowed it when it would be useful to peer around corners (I'm assuming she'll be the primary scout)?

I think, especially since we don't have a Survivalist, we should carry a tinderbox. We'll have just as much need to light things but less ability. Therefore tools are really useful.

Magda does have stakes and a mallet.

I don't recall how much light they cast, but remember that, in addition to how long they burn per inventory slot, we need to keep in mind how many people each can illuminate. Also, as long as Magda is in dim light she's fine, as she ignores factors for dim light. In fact, she prefers it that way.

Magda also has rope. Other useful things might be metal spikes and a hammer (useful for keeping doors closed, as climbing pitons, and anchoring ropes, etc.), and a grappling hook.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#84 Post by coil23 »

Regarding Enoch's questions: I will have scholar (2) and cartographer (2) but not sure if that is a good enough cartographer score to be the only one in the party.

I am open to suggestions on what gear to choose for the cleric as I'm not sure how best to proceed there. The minimal hands free to hold light concerns me. (I did notice the name of the game, after all.) Would it be better for the cleric to be holding a mace and torch instead of mace and shield? It seemed like a shield would be great but if we can't even see where we are going...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Marullus »

You can wear your shield in a torso slot to free your hand. Giving you that strategic option. You only have three torso slots, so essentially this means you can wear leather armor, wear your shield, and carry a satchel. Or, you can not wear the shield and use both torso slots for a backpack.

It is a strategic choice, based on how concerned we are about enough gear.

Is it okay to have only torches or do we want lantern and oil, too? (Isabelle will keep the lantern in hand if so, to not take pack slots.)

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#86 Post by Enoch »

Here's the weird thing about shields: they don't work at all like they do in other games (except Mouse Guard). Carrying them at the same time as a weapon provides NO benefit. A shield is considered a weapon. It's extremely useful at Defense (getting the equivalent of Hit Points back), but it's basically "use your mace OR your shield this round, not both". I'd carry the torch and if you want a shield (and your starting equipment lets you have one in addition to your mace), keep it on your back.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#87 Post by coil23 »

That's odd. In that case I would like to carry a torch and a mace and keep a shield on my back. I can always swap the mace for the shield in case we come across something we especially need to react defensively to. (like everything? :) )

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Marullus »

Okay, that means you get a satchel, Magda has a satchel, and Rusty can only wear a satchel. Isabelle has a backpack because she wants to carry lots of food for people. :)

We only need one mirror, I am fine if Magda has it instead if she likes. (Though Isabelle will be curious if Magda even has a reflection, and if not, what does she DO with a mirror? :) )

NAME: - Magda
TORSO: - Rope
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - small silver pyx [1D treasure]
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Holy water (2) [+1s to Attack and Feint against Undead; expended when used]
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Mirror [+1s to Maneuver in a conflict against a monster with a gaze weapon]
BACKPACK: -

BELT (pouch): - Hawthorn stakes (3) and mallet [Theologian test to slay vampires when surprised or captured]

NAME: - Isabelle
TORSO: - Cloak
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Mirror (?)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: -
BELT (pouch): - Garlic

NAME: - Disciple Peitharian (the Punctilious)
TORSO: - Leather Armor
TORSO: - Satchel
TORSO: - Shield
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Pouch of Cash (+2D cash)

BELT (pouch): -
BELT (weapon): - Mace

(Rusty's PC)
HANDS (carry): - Two-handed Sword
HANDS (carry): - (Two-handed Sword)
TORSO: - Platemail
TORSO: - (Platemail)

BELT (pouch): -
BELT (weapon): -

We have rope, mirror, holy water, garlic, stakes and mallet, and a cloak.
Do we need someone to have a tinderbox, iron spikes, or hammer? (that's three slots)

We have 13 slots available across our sacks and stuff. Take out that stuff and there's 10 left.

We split that among Torches (or Oil) and preserved rations.
Seems a good amount.

Thoughts?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#89 Post by Enoch »

Like I said, I don't mind if Isabelle has the mirror as long as the scout can borrow it (I'm assuming that will be Magda).

From the description, for the most part and excepting bloodthirst and light sensitivity, it sounds like dhampirs are mostly human--at least at first (some advancements make them much more vampiric).

As for clerics, per p. 18-19, you can take a shield as a second weapon (meaning you can start with both mace and shield) or you can take a helmet (starting with both mace and helmet instead). Helmets get damaged the first time you use them; unless we have someone with Armorer I suspect they have limited utility.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by Enoch »

I've posted a thread that sort of explains how Conflicts work. If you're new to Torchbearer it's probably worth discussing.

I've decided that Theologian should be my home skill. It appears that staking a sleeping or surprised vampire is a Theologian vs. Nature test, so having a decent Theologian score is probably really helpful, as even a bog-standard vampire is going to have a Nature of 4 (according to Denizens).

That answers what skill my Mentor has, and it makes sense. My mentor is Spiro Evangelos, a theologian who disagrees with the Church's decision to let me continue to exist, but remains stubbornly committed to his assigned task (teaching me the Church teachings), which in his mind includes a heavy courseload in why I'm an abomination and ought to be destroyed. Still, he's my mentor.

That does leave my friend's skill. He's either a Theologian as well (which I think is overkill; we've already got a Cleric and myself, and my mentor has Theologian, and I'm betting Coil's does to, and if not probably his friend or his parents do. So: Scholar or Cartographer?

I'm leaning toward Cartographer. Even though it won't help on adventure, I might be able to lean on him for the best maps he can find of the areas we're going to, which would act as Tools for our group's cartographer.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#91 Post by coil23 »

Peitharian (cleric) has theologian 3 and cartographer 2, if that makes a difference.

I am happy to carry the tinderbox or the hammer and spikes if that helps. And how many torches can I carry? Now that I think about it, my having the shield means I may very well need to be in front to block for others. In that case, someone else having the tinderbox may make better tactical sense so that we can still be lighting things while I am busy dying in front to slow down the beasties. :?

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#92 Post by Enoch »

Well, torches come 4 to a pack slot (though fractions don't take up any less space, so burning one means the other 3 still take up a pack slot).

Actually very glad we both have decent Theologian scores, since we'll probably be using them for very different things. I think I'll keep my friend as a Cartographer. If nothing else, I can lean on him to provide us maps to give you a boost to your Cartographer skill.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Marullus »

Okay, how about this as a suggestion to move things along?

We have rope, mirror, holy water, garlic, stakes and mallet, and a cloak. Magda keeps the mirror.
I added tinderbox, iron spikes, or hammer. Isabelle is most-concerned with camp and unprepared for real adventuring, so she has the tinderbox to warm everyone up. Rusty's Death Knight is prepared for the harshest realities, so he picks up the hammer and iron spikes. He has room to carry them on his belt (and not lose them if something happens to his pack).

I had Isabelle pick up a lantern which she keeps in her hands... torches are very adventure-y and she's a town girl; she knows to bring a lantern. She has four flasks of oil in her pack for it. I gave one slot of torches (4 each, 12 total) to Isabelle, Peith, and Rusty. If an emergency situation arises, each of them is armed/prepared. (Isabelle has no real weapon, so if forced into combat, will arm herself with a torch.)

I then packed preserved rations (3 slots for 9 meals) across Isabelle and Peith, realizing they're the only ones capable of or concerned with eating them. Isabelle can turn one ration into a meal for both with a Cook test, or we eat them on the run.

Only Peith can free up both hands, so I packed him one large sack. Rusty (not needing to pack food) had the remaining slots, so I had him pack four small sacks (2 sacks in 2 slots each).

Thoughts?
Marullus wrote: NAME: - Magda
TORSO: - Rope
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - small silver pyx [1D treasure]
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Holy water (2) [+1s to Attack and Feint against Undead; expended when used]
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Mirror [+1s to Maneuver in a conflict against a monster with a gaze weapon]

BELT (pouch): - Hawthorn stakes (3) and mallet [Theologian test to slay vampires when surprised or captured]

NAME: - Isabelle
TORSO: - Cloak
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Tinderbox
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Torches (4)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Flask of Oil (2)
BACKPACK: - Flask of Oil (2)
BACKPACK: - Rations, preserved (3)
BACKPACK: - Rations, preserved (3)
BELT (pouch): - Garlic
HANDS (carry): - Lantern

NAME: - Disciple Peitharian (the Punctilious)
TORSO: - Leather Armor
TORSO: - Shield
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Pouch of Cash (+2D cash)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Rations, preserved (3)

BELT (pouch): - Sack, large
BELT (weapon): - Mace

(Rusty's PC)
BACKPACK/SATCHEL: - Sack, small (2)

BELT (pouch): - Iron Spikes (6)
BELT (weapon): - Hammer

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

I know Rusty is pressured for time IRL, so I thought I'd help him out with a template, too.
He'll probably take fighter as a specialty. Because we'll need a fighter in the end.

Social graces: Though it isn't my first choice for an undead warrior, it'll likely be Orator due to his Paladin background.
I'm swamped with work right now, so more in depth planning will need to wait a bit.
EQUIPMENT - plate mail (damaged), probably a 2-handed sword but maybe a normal sword.
Fighter 3, Orator 3, Rider 3, Theologian 2, Ritualist 2
His raiment will be a burnt tabard with the damaged insignia of his order on it.
Gear he'll have for sure: 2-handed sword, platemail, satchel, map making supplies, some carrion, maybe for and pitons.
I copied in the stuff from the templates. You need to do your own Relationships, Nature Questions, etc.

You wanted "map making supplies" and "carrion." As a cartographer, the supplies don't take up an equipment slot. Not sure if you're allowed to take "carrion" to start or not?

Skills:
Human Skill at 3: Did you pick Criminal, Haggler, Pathfinder or Survivalist? (Only Pathfinder is covered)
Are you picking Orator 4, or adding a second Social Grace at 2?
Your taking Fighter 4 as your Specialty?

NAME: - - (?)

CONDITIONS
Fresh: (Never Fresh)
Hungry and Thirsty: (No Effect) recover from hungry and thirsty by consuming carrion, either scavenged from a fresh grave or from a battlefield.
Angry (Ob 2 Will): Can't use wises or beneficial traits
Afraid (Ob 3 Will): Can't help or use Beginner's Luck
Exhausted (Ob 3 Health): (No Effect) recover from exhausted using elixirs or prayers.
Injured (Ob 4 Health): -1D to skills, Nature, Will and Health (except recovery)
Sick (Ob 3 Will): (No Effect)
Dead: Always Dead, no Penalty

CLASS/STOCK: - Human Death Knight
LEVEL: 1
Benefits: Death Knights are skilled with all weapons, armor and helmets. Any slain warrior or paladin may return as a Death Knight if the Lords of Vengeance take interest. As undead, they may be turned (but not destroyed) by prayers and holy relics.
ALIGNMENT: -
ORDER OF MIGHT: 3
RAIMENT: - a burnt tabard with the damaged insignia of his order on it.

BELIEF: -
GOAL: -
INSTINCT: -

RELATIONS
HOME: -
PARENTS: -
MENTOR: -
FRIENDS: -
ENEMIES: -
TRAITS & WISES
TRAIT: - Cadaverous - You feel neither pain nor fatigue. Your body is a lifeless cage, imprisoning whatever remnants of a soul you have left. A grotesque apparition, pale and gaunt and rotting. You are walking dead.
TRAIT: -

WISE: -Battlefield-wise
Advancement: -
WISE: - (?)
EXPERIENCE POINTS
CURRENT FATE: 0
SPENT FATE: 0 / 3
Spend Fate to reroll all 6's as new dice, or reroll a single failed die related to your Wise.
CURRENT PERSONA: 0
SPENT PERSONA: 0 / 3
Spend Persona to tap Nature, or add +1D to a test, or reroll all failed dice on a test related to your Wise.
CHECKS: 0
Checks allow you to make Camp and recover from Conditions.
ABILITIES
WILL: - (?)
HEALTH: - - (?)
NATURE: 3 / 3
Descriptors: -
RESOURCES: 0
CIRCLES: - (?)
SKILLS
ALCHEMIST: Will
ARCANIST: Will
ARMORER: Health
CARPENTER: Health
CARTOGRAPHER: Will
COMMANDER: Will
COOK: Will
CRIMINAL: Health
DUNGEONEER: Health
FIGHTER: 3
HAGGLER: Will
HEALER: Will
HUNTER: Health
LABORER: Health
LORE MASTER: Will
MANIPULATOR: Will
MENTOR: Will
ORATOR: 3
PATHFINDER: Health
PEASANT: Health
PERSUADER: Will
RIDER: 3
RITUALIST: 2
SAILOR: Health
SCAVENGER: Health
SCHOLAR: Will
SCOUT: Health
STEWARD: Will
STONEMASON: Health
SURVIVALIST: Health
THEOLOGIAN: 2
WEAVER: Will
EQUIPMENT & INVENTORY
HEAD: - Helmet
NECK: -

HANDS (worn): -

BELT (skin): - Wine
FEET: - Shoes
MAGIC & MIRACLES
None.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#95 Post by coil23 »

I'm good with the suggested equipment for Peitharian and have copied to my character sheet.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. I could list all my excuses, but I'll just finish my character instead. Thanks to Marullus for the template. :)

Concept: Swelan was the third son of a nobles. Having no opportunity to titles, he became a paladin, embodying the ideals of our religion. He fought in many battles and escorted many priests and clerics through the wilderness. He had been assigned to the monastery one year prior to the fire.

Special Human Skill: As a Paladin, he spent much time in the wilderness on campaigns and escorting priests and clerics through the wilderness.
Survivalist (3) - because it isn't covered yet, and the pathfinders can offer assist to cartography tests, I believe.

Hometown Skill: Swalen took an interest in maps at an early age. Narbara - Cartographer (2)

Social Graces and Specialty: As the child of nobles in Morthia, Swelan grew up feeling entitled. His ability to use this to obtain things was honed when he became a member of the holy order. Now that he is dead, his haggling skills are that much better.
Haggler (3)

Since we have other cartographers but no other hagglers, I chose to rely on assistance and an instinct to advance my Cartography skill while going it alone in the haggling department, though my Scarred Trait might help out once I have some arthra.

Wises: Having spent much time on the field of battle (and having risen form the dead quickly), Swalen is Battlefield-wise. And due to his history of acting as a guide and escort for clergy and pilgrims, he is Wilderness-wise.

Nature Questions: - raised to 4, he can change home trait to Stoic or Righteous.
Death Knight Nature Questions
Was your death brutal and dishonorable or were you killed swiftly, a warrior to the end?
Death came swiftly. Nature is unchanged.
Do you stalk the battlefields like a ghoul in search of bodies and gear to scavenge or does your sense of honor prevent you from such ignoble actions?
Swelan clings to his lost humanity. He may replace home trait with Stoic or Righteous.
Did you rise soon after your death or did you have to claw your way out of a mouldering grave?
Swelan rose from the dead directly from the ashes of the monastery. Increase Nature by 1.
Circles: - I wouldn't have taken a mentor, but I have no space for 2D worth of treasure. Can anyone else carry the torches or something?
Parents: Two nobles, both still alive.
Mentor: Lief the Cook, who taught him to haggle with merchants as a child.
Friend: he befriended Ulrich as he escorted a group of holy pilgrims on their way to Bedford.

Gear: I am comfortable with the gear Marullus put on the template. Makes sense.

Weapons/Armor: 2-handed sword and damaged plate mail. But what does it mean that it is damaged?

BIGs: As the son of a noble who took to a holy order, Swalen has high ideals he believes he should embody in death. See below and offer insight as to how the Belief can be honed for the game.
His instinct is to update maps whenever we camp, which will allow lots of opportunities to advance the skill with the help of cartographers, scholars and pathfinders. :)

Age: 24. Older than a human should be, but as a recently deceased paladin, I think this can work.

TEMPLATE

NAME: Swelan [will have a last name at some point, or perhaps that is a new name since undeath...]

CONDITIONS
Fresh: (Never Fresh)
Hungry and Thirsty: (No Effect) recover from hungry and thirsty by consuming carrion, either scavenged from a fresh grave or from a battlefield.
Angry (Ob 2 Will): Can't use wises or beneficial traits
Afraid (Ob 3 Will): Can't help or use Beginner's Luck
Exhausted (Ob 3 Health): (No Effect) recover from exhausted using elixirs or prayers.
Injured (Ob 4 Health): -1D to skills, Nature, Will and Health (except recovery)
Sick (Ob 3 Will): (No Effect)
Dead: Always Dead, no Penalty

CLASS/STOCK: - Human Death Knight
LEVEL: 1
Benefits: Death Knights are skilled with all weapons, armor and helmets. Any slain warrior or paladin may return as a Death Knight if the Lords of Vengeance take interest. As undead, they may be turned (but not destroyed) by prayers and holy relics.
ALIGNMENT: - Law
ORDER OF MIGHT: 3
RAIMENT: - a burnt tabard with the damaged insignia of his order on it. What is the holy symbol for this religion?

BELIEF: - Even in death I must uphold the ideals of my Order. But what are our ideals? Did Coil have anything in mind?
GOAL: - TDB
INSTINCT: - Always update the map when establishing camp.

RELATIONS
HOME: - Narbara
PARENTS: - Sir Aelfred and Lady Sydney, father and mother
MENTOR: - Lief the cook, who taught him to barter with merchants as a child.
FRIENDS: - Ulrich, a holy pilgrim located outside Bedford
ENEMIES: -
TRAITS & WISES
TRAIT: - Cadaverous - You feel neither pain nor fatigue. Your body is a lifeless cage, imprisoning whatever remnants of a soul you have left. A grotesque apparition, pale and gaunt and rotting. You are walking dead.
TRAIT: - Scarred - Survivors of terrible wars are often scarred by their experiences. They’re tough and not easily flustered by injury or fear, but they are also maimed or psychologically scarred by their experiences.

WISE: - Battlefield-wise
WISE: - Wilderness-wise
EXPERIENCE POINTS
CURRENT FATE: 0
SPENT FATE: 0 / 3
Spend Fate to reroll all 6's as new dice, or reroll a single failed die related to your Wise.
CURRENT PERSONA: 0
SPENT PERSONA: 0 / 3
Spend Persona to tap Nature, or add +1D to a test, or reroll all failed dice on a test related to your Wise.
CHECKS: 0
Checks allow you to make Camp and recover from Conditions.
ABILITIES
WILL: - 4
HEALTH: - 4
NATURE: 4 / 4
Descriptors: -
RESOURCES: 0
CIRCLES: - (?)
SKILLS
ALCHEMIST: Will
ARCANIST: Will
ARMORER: Health
CARPENTER: Health
CARTOGRAPHER: 2
COMMANDER: Will
COOK: Will
CRIMINAL: Health
DUNGEONEER: Health
FIGHTER: 4
HAGGLER: 3
HEALER: Will
HUNTER: Health
LABORER: Health
LORE MASTER: Will
MANIPULATOR: Will
MENTOR: Will
ORATOR: 3
PATHFINDER: Health
PEASANT: Health
PERSUADER: Will
RIDER: 3
RITUALIST: 2
SAILOR: Health
SCAVENGER: Health
SCHOLAR: Will
SCOUT: Health
STEWARD: Will
STONEMASON: Health
SURVIVALIST: 3
THEOLOGIAN: 2
WEAVER: Will
EQUIPMENT & INVENTORY
HEAD: - Helmet
NECK: -

TORSO: - Platemail - damaged
SATCHEL: - Torches (4)
SATCHEL: - Sack, small (2)
SATCHEL: - Sack, small (2)
BELT (skin): - Wine
FEET: - Riding Boots
MAGIC & MIRACLES
None.
[/spoiler]

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#97 Post by Enoch »

A couple of ideas on what sort of vows a paladin may have:
  • An oath of charity. This would be really painful in Torchbearer, and I wouldn't recommend it, although an oath to donate a portion of your income to the Church (i.e., make an offering before praying at the shrine during Town phase) could work, I suppose, if you argued that looking for and gaining money was in support of this Belief.
  • An oath of loyalty. Perhaps you swore to support your companions, right or wrong.
  • An oath of protection. You took the oath in life, and died in defense of the Church; in death your vow is no less strong, and you will always protect your companions.
  • An oath of vengeance. You swore to hunt down those who burnt down the monastery and others like them.
  • A missionary vow--you swore to spread the teachings of the Church to unbelievers.
  • A vow of honor. You swore to always fight honorably, and treat others justly. (That could be "exciting" with a half-vampire that needs to drink blood; it could be fun RP but does stray toward the potential for PVP conflict--though I'm willing to try to sneak around if the hulking undead knight doesn't approve).
  • A vow of truth. You have sworn never to lie, or support a falsehood.
  • A vow of hospitality. You have sworn to give comfort to all those who need it. This may mean inviting a lone goblin to share our camp, for instance.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

Circles: - I wouldn't have taken a mentor, but I have no space for 2D worth of treasure. Can anyone else carry the torches or something?
I'd say you can drop the torches - we have a lot of turns of light. I was being safe by making sure every character has at least one light source they carried, but I don't know that this matters.

I think that an undead Paladin SCREAMS to have an Enemy. ;) I fully support dropping mentor and taking the enemy and 2D treasure. (which keeps you at Circles 4, either way)

Traits:
I love that he's scarred. :)
I also note that he lost "Feared in Hell" as part of his transition to Death Knight - that can have interesting story implications. If that comes out in play dramatically, I totally want to nominate him to regain the trait in Winter. ;)
Weapons/Armor: 2-handed sword and damaged plate mail. But what does it mean that it is damaged?
It provides no benefit while damaged.
You need an Ob4 Armorer test to get Platemail fixed. (We don't have any armorer skill in the group.)

Your nature is: Avenging (your death), Scavenging and Shambling
I wonder if you could invoke your double-nature to have him scavenge/avenge and fix his own armor?
Otherwise, I guess it is a town-based issue. Page 93 uses armor as an example - they get it fixed for a +1 to Lifestyle cost (I presume under "other business.")
Incidentally, it is also worth 1D Cash if you sell it broken (but it is an Ob4 resources test to get it back.)

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#99 Post by Faolan7 »

I apologize for my absence. I thought I'd let you guys do your thing, and I got distracted by real life.

For the characters, we only need a few more things!
-Isabelee needs to choose her enemy.
-I only have Isabelle's and Swelan's age, but it's not super important.
-Y'all need to confirm you are finished with gear.
-Rusty needs to post his character sheet in the respective thread.

Have you guys decided how you all know each other, or do I need to make a story thing for that? I know Peitharian is Isabelle's mentor, and I think it was mentioned that Swelan was Isabelle's mentor before he died. How does Magda fit into this group?

@Rusty: Don't worry about taking so long. Might I remind you that I asked for around two posts a week. You guys are far exceeding my expectations.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I agree about the enemy. I forgot about that circle.

I'll do the haggling mentor and school up 2D treasure.

Faolin: what is your call about using my scavenging nature to repair my plate armor?

I like that list of beliefs, enough. Considering his work as a guide for clergy and pilgrims through the wilderness, the last one makes sense. It makes him feel a bit like my cleric in Steven's campaign, but it was a fun belief/instinct to play with. In this case he is a fighter, so that if at odds with the belief, sort of.

Getting there!!!

Return to “The Torchbearers of Kroyia (Torchbearer)”