Session 0: Character Creation

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Session 0: Character Creation

#121 Post by Faolan7 »

Oops. Forgot to delete that. Sorry. Yeah, I got that you added your belief. Okedoke. That leaves Coil to mark his specialty and Rusty to add his enemy and Circles.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Hmmm. I thought I made those edits a while ago. The post must not have gone through. I'll get it tomorrow.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#123 Post by coil23 »

I had already marked my specialty ( "*** specialty" next to healer in my skills list). Is there another way I should indicate specialty?

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#124 Post by Faolan7 »

Wow, I'm terrible at looking through these character sheets. Sorry guys.

@Coil: The basic rulebook says to underline your specialty, but since I (should) know what it is, the way you marked it is fine. Sorry about missing it.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#125 Post by coil23 »

No, I want to do it the standard way. Thanks for the heads up on how. The character sheets are already so long so this will be easier on everyone in many ways over the long haul and I want to learn the rules. I've changed my character sheet to underline my specialty.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Faolan7 wrote:Rusty: You need to add your enemy and your Circles. I didn't see anything special for your class, so find them as normal (page 17 in the Basic Rulebook).
Updates to My Character:

NAME: Sir Blackpaw Swelan (chosen upon rising from the dead)
"Blackpaw" for the clotted blood in his hands and feet
"Swelan" is Old English for being reborn from fire
"Sir" is to remind him of his honor.
CIRCLES: 3
  • Family: Yes. +1
    Friend: Yes. +1
    Mentor: No. +2D treasure
    Enemy: Yes. +1
Though I wonder about family. His parents are alive, but I don't know that he'll want to confront them. Because, well... He's dead. Why would he want to cause his parents grief? So is it a +1? I suppose in a pinch...

Enemy: Barbank the Cold. The ruthless leader of a band of highwaymen that particularly enjoy harassing pilgrims of our faith.
BELIEF: - Even in undeath, I must honor my Vow of Hospitality, offering comfort to those who need it.
Thanks to Enoch for the inspiration. Though to be honest, it feels weird it isn't more closely linked to his instinct. It seems like something along the lines of "It is most important to know where we have been to know how to proceed or get back" but that isn't great for game play, I don't think. Anyhow, unless one of you have a stellar idea, I'll go with what I've got written.
WISE: second wise changed to Graveyard-wise.

SESSION NOTES: Due to the timeline of PBP, I found it difficult to remember the important things I had done to earn Fate and Persona in our last game. As such, I included session notes into my character sheet last time and it helped me focus my gaming to earn arthra - and to be able to advance. Here is the template I use. Feel free to paste it into your character sheets if you want.

Code: Select all

[u]SESSION NOTES[/u]
[spoiler][b]FATE:[/b] 
Acting on Belief - 
Working towards Goal - 
Benefiting from Instinct - 

[b]PERSONA:[/b] 
Playing against a belief - n/a if you have acted on a belief
Accomplishing a Goal - 
MVP - up to group
Teamworker - up to group
Embodiment - up to group[/spoiler]
With some forethought, you can be ready to level after 3 sessions.

And with that, I believe that Sir Blackpaw Swelan is ready to head out. Sorry for the delay. Setting up new characters is always the hardest thing for me. My posting rate should bump up once we are in the game. :)

EDIT: Faolin, can Swelan start with carrion in his item list, or will he need to get some as he goes? And can he dig up enough for multiple meals and tote it around? (Similar to others bringing along rations...)

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#127 Post by Faolan7 »

@Rusty: Swelan can start out with carrion. Treat them as rations. You can most definitely take extra carrion for later use. It will rot and become unusable at the beginning of the Town Phase, just like Fresh Rations. The book doesn't give rules on how to decide how much a corpse would give, so I'm going to use 1d6/2 "rations" per body, but I may change that after it comes up in play. If it's too much (which I doubt), I'll decrease it, and if it's too little, I'll increase it.

EDIT:
Forgot about this, but with everyone's character sheets done, I just need a confirmation that you guys are done with equipment. After that, we can get started!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks. I've added 2 equipment slots of not-so-fresh rations to Swelan's sheet. Four rations total. Seems easier than needing to take tests to dig up and prepare carrion for him, which only gets us closer to the grind anyhow.

That also means he isn't carrying any sacks for the group. Someone else might want to pack those up.

Swelan's equipment is complete.

Enoch
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#129 Post by Enoch »

I'm as ready with equipment as I'm going to be.
Shadrach, Demon-Hunter - Dust to Dust

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Marullus »

GM question: Can Swelan use his third belt slot (normally a waterskin, but not for him) to carry an object? He could tuck two small pouches there ,at least.

Rusty: You're the only one who was carrying sacks, actually. Peith has one large sack (and he's the only one who could potentially have two free hands to hold it). We'd have to give up preserved rations or torches on someone else's sheet to make up the lost sacks.

You also have an interesting interaction with the Grind. Never eating doesn't impact you as much.
  • You don't have Fresh, so the grind hits you a turn earlier than the rest of us.
  • You would get Hungry/Thirsty, but you're immune to its effects. You can eat carrion, but its only purpose is to keep the grind from progressing further.
  • If you're already Hungry, you get Exhausted. You're immune to those effects as well.
  • If you ignored both Hungry and Exhausted, you then get Angry. That impacts you normally (can't use wises or beneficial traits). That is on turn 12 of our 13 turn story, supposing we haven't camped. Isabelle can make you the needed elixir with an Ob3 camp test with 4D+.
  • If you ignore that and continue the grind, you get Sick, which you are also immune to the effects of.
  • If you ignore THAT too, then you are Injured, which is where your guy gets screwed.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#131 Post by Faolan7 »

@Marullus: Yeah, I'd say Swelan could use the waterskin slot to hold something. He could also keep a water/wine skin to give to others though.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

@ Marullus: Yeah. It is that odd relationship to the grind that has me worried. He is immune to so many effects, but recovery is so different. And as you point out, injury is brutal for him.

But even if I only take 2 rations (1 slot), I gues we can get pretty far before I need to really worry about things. So I'll change that to rations (2) and 1 small sack in his satchel and 1 small sack tucked into his belt.

Ready to go again!

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#133 Post by Faolan7 »

Sorry for not posting recently. I've been pretty busy with school.

As I'm sure you guys are eager to play, I'm going to set Tuesday as the last day to plan for equipment. Then, I'll make the first game post on Wednesday morning (Probably around 9 am Pacific Time). You guys all look good though, except for Isabelle, who's inventory is mostly empty, which could be intentional.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by Marullus »

Faolan7 wrote:You guys all look good though, except for Isabelle, who's inventory is mostly empty, which could be intentional.
What, what?? :o :oops:

How did I miss updating that? It is fixed now. Her inventory is as-discussed on page 5 of this thread.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#135 Post by Faolan7 »

@Marullus: So it wasn't intentional. Good thing I pointed that out!

Just a reminder that today is the last day to do inventory stuff! We're going to get started tomorrow, and hopefully I don't disappoint.

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#136 Post by Faolan7 »

Sorry for double posting. Your inventories should be taken care of now, so it's time to move over to session 1!

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Any suggestions for Goals for the session?

Faolan7
Tracker
Tracker

#138 Post by Faolan7 »

Oh, oops. Yeah. Here you go. I'll put them in the main post too.

Example Goals:
-I'll discover what happened to this House's clients.
-I will rescue any poor souls trapped below.
-I must drive out the evil that has overtaken this place.
-I will impress by companions with my bravery.
-I will loot this place for all it's worth.
-I will track the blood trail to its source.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The paladin-cum-death knight who needs to prove his humanity and used to live with a code of hospitality course the goal, "I will rescue any poor souls below."

Sheet edited.

Enoch: you still have two instincts listed on your char sheet. I don't see much of a way for anyone else to help with scouting tests, so that would likely always be done solo if that is your choice.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Marullus »

Isabelle will take:
- I will track the blood trail to its source

No monsters for thousands of years? They call her a monster. She needs to know. To see what did... Whatever was done. Discovery is exciting!

(Vanquish the evil? Rescue the people? She hasn't thought that far ahead.)

Return to “The Torchbearers of Kroyia (Torchbearer)”