[Completed] - Kennit/Bounties - May 20, 1 VC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: [Completed] - Kennit/Bounties - May 20, 1 VC

#101 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ugh. That expedition wasn't overly successful, was it?

Perthrin will be happy to contribute to a tribute. And to a monument to his fellow elf.

His primary goal will be to transcribe spells until he is healed. Maybe even one at the Tower of Wendal.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Addendum:

Total Coinage (including bugbear head):
540 GP, 9 SP, 4 CP =>270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP each

Perthrin accepts that Kennit (a) saved his life and (b) was Rhodri's good friend. As such, he is not expecting equal shares of Rhodri's belongings. Here is one option for breaking down the stuff:

Perthrin
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
Rhodri's spell book (300 GP value to Perthrin)
Sundry writing goods

Kennit
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
A knot of raw gold (5gp)
One engraved dwarven signet ring (500gp)
Grappling hook and rope

Leaving:
iron armband
dagger crafted from the recovered tooth of the black beast
necklace of interlocking metal plates with an inset teardrop-shaped ruby pendant

If Kennit wants both, Perthrin won't have an issue. If he wants to give one away, Perthrin would gladly take one. The knife seems cool since it adds INT.

With his money, Perthrin will
1. Spend 50 GP to transcribe a 1st level spell (2 days).
2. Spend 75 GP to make a Sleep Scroll.
3. Pay 100 in tribute (for 100 XP).
4. Add in ~25-40 GP for a Memorial to Rhodri. Or, if he has the arm band, that would be his donation as long as it isn't magical.

Kennit will get 50XP from the tribute/story, which, I hope, would be compensation for his Guild Fee.

Keehnelf: Does Perthrin need to transcribe spells to use them? Or could he just memorize spells directly from Rhodri's book? If the latter is acceptable, that free's up 50 GP more for the memorial.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Keehnelf »

No, he has to transcribe them.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#104 Post by Spartakos »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Ugh. That expedition wasn't overly successful, was it?
In terms of rewards for the survivors, far more successful than some Rhodri's participated in! :lol:

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#105 Post by KingOfCowards »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Addendum:

Perthrin accepts that Kennit (a) saved his life and (b) was Rhodri's good friend. As such, he is not expecting equal shares of Rhodri's belongings. Here is one option for breaking down the stuff:

Perthrin
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
Sundry writing goods

Kennit
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
A knot of raw gold (5gp)
Grappling hook and rope

Leaving:
iron armband
necklace of interlocking metal plates with an inset teardrop-shaped ruby pendant

If Kennit wants both, Perthrin won't have an issue. If he wants to give one away, Perthrin would gladly take one. The knife seems cool since it adds INT.

4. Add in ~25-40 GP for a Memorial to Rhodri. Or, if he has the arm band, that would be his donation as long as it isn't magical.

Kennit will get 50XP from the tribute/story, which, I hope, would be compensation for his Guild Fee.

Keehnelf: Does Perthrin need to transcribe spells to use them? Or could he just memorize spells directly from Rhodri's book? If the latter is acceptable, that free's up 50 GP more for the memorial.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by KingOfCowards »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Addendum:

Perthrin
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
Sundry writing goods

Kennit
270 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
A knot of raw gold (5gp)
Grappling hook and rope

Leaving:
iron armband

A very generous offer, but Perthrin did his part. I was eyeing the necklace myself, so he will let Perthrin have the wolf tooth dagger. With that settled, I would imagine we can sell the armband and split the profits and consider it even. I apologize again for my absence, I will try to find a little time to update.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Marullus »

Sorry guys - we intended to set out on 28 May and meet you before you left the tower, but you OOC progressed faster than us; Keehnelf asked us to meet you upon return. This is good, as you get to cash-out XP and treasure then begin on a new quest. :) Please accept this meeting as you return so we can make sure our groups are square with each other.

June 1, 1 VC - 10:20am

As Kennit and Perethrin approach the town, they see a sizable group outside the gates. About a dozen dwarves as well as two humans - Mormoth and Kirren Swift from the mercenary camp - along with accompanying wagons and mules for a baggage train. They are securing their loads to head out.

Bromric hails them and walks out to meet them, a short bit off from the group. "Hail! I regret to see that your group returns smaller than you left," he says in an apologetic tone, commiserating with a sense of loss. "What dangers and warnings did you find?"

Engaging further in small talk, Bromric offers, pointing northeast, "Most of the dwarves there are my kin; disaster unspeakable befell my ancestral home and they've come here to rebuild. I've spoken to the ArchDuke and intend to go and reclaim one of the watchtowers as an initial place for them. From there, we'll continue on with a smaller party, returning to the mountain to rescue those we found trapped in a cave-in and with dispensation to treat with their queen as an act of diplomacy." He inquires if you have any news that might help, and if you'd like to join them in coming along.

Just to square it OOC:
  • He's happy to turn in the bounty for you at the Guild and give you all the money, but that's not necessary if you intend to pay the guild fees yourselves.
  • You didn't leave town intending to claim watchtowers, so he's IC unaware that you just emptied and effectively claimed the watchtower he's going to; I don't want that to turn into a huge gaff due to an OOC timing issue. If you are okay with his folk inhabiting and claiming it (while you get the reward) that's cool. If you intend to claim and inhabit it yourselves, please say so and he'll redirect.
  • I'd love a few more PCs going to the mountain with us, if you want to join up. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Leaning heavily on his spear, Perthrin looks to Kennit - and then the empty space between them which should be filled with Rhodri - before responding. Greetings, Master Bromric. And greetings to your kin. Indeed, we do return one party-member shy. Rhodri fell in battle against the Catstrangler. He finds Bromric's offer to accompany the entourage kind, but Perthrin feels the need to rest at least one day prior to setting out a second time. If you and your kin would be willing to wait, I might be willing to join you.

I'll wait to hear Kennit's input on this before deciding. But I can wait to transcribe spells for now.

Ideas: If we allow the dwarves to inhabit the tower, we could insist on it being named for Rhodri as a memorial.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#109 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit eyes the dwarves suspiciously, as Bromric offers his explanation.
With a cocksure smile he apologizes, "Sorry friends, the tower has already been claimed. We chased out the hobgoblins and their outlaw bugbear they had leading them. I would say that makes that tower ours. We were about to straighten things out with the assessor. You can understand that a halfling and elf must have somewhere to live, if we were fairly compensated we could find another home."

I appreciate the diplomatic approach Marullus. It's better to get this hashed out now. It had actually been Rhodri's plan for a while to take over that tower. With him dead, I personally have no sentimental attachment, it's strictly monetary in Kennit's mind. If Perthrin feels differently, this would be his time to speak up.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#110 Post by KingOfCowards »

As far as accompanying Bromric to the mountain, if there is money involved, Kennit would be up for it. I am sorry I haven't been paying as much attention to the tavern thread as I should have been, so I am not sure what he plans to accomplish there.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Marullus »

Bromric bows humbly to Kennit. "It is a brave feat, and certainly worthy of reward. I am sorry for the loss of your elf friend. Of course, I will make no claims to what your actions have as their promised reward." He smiles cheerfully, "The ArchDuke requested we move forward to the mountain anyway for the long term - it will be good to have you as neighbors!" He claps Kennit on the shoulder. "I understand the desire to settle down; adventuring takes its toll and I am sure you'll find great peace living in the countryside and tilling the soil there. Once one has enough gold saved, it is the natural thing." He pauses, lowering his voice so the others don't hear at the wagons. "I found guard costs to be vastly inflated compared to where I am from. I had to budget fourty gold pieces a month but it could have been eighty or ninety. I was leery of not providing extra protection against the wild... Perhaps you don't have that worry, though. You are certainly more proven in battle than some of my kin."

He turns to Perthrin, clasping his hand with confidence. "This changes plans considerably, so leaving on the morrow is fine. I will be glad to have wizard among us, as we know not what we'll face. I will make arrangements for my kin to remain in the inn until space is secured at the mountain hall and reconfigure our party. Meet us at dawn back here and we'll go straight to the mountain."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing his companion has no attachment to the tower either, Perthrin speaks up. I will be proud to accompany you and yours. But they need not stay at the inn for now. With Kennit and I off with you, the tower will be empty. We could allow your kin to stay in thee tower of their ancestors for half the price of the inn. It would be tight, but they would save money and we would not need to worry about more hobgoblins moving in while we are away. Win-win-win, as they say.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Marullus »

Bromric considers thoughtfully, then leans in to speak in confidence. "What they need is a future. Our kind are Builders, not tenants, and this would be difficult for them. They need most to labor and know it will secure a future." He enumerates on his stubby fingers. "From what I know of Wendall's tower, it won't hold them all. It will cost a hundred gold for materials to enclose the second story with a wood roof and double the living space, at which time it becomes cramped but possible. To add a floor and double living space to be comfortable figure 250 gold on top of that, or more for outbuildings. It costs 40 gold a month to protect them with two meager guards. The carpenter wants 50 gold for beds. That just gets them started, makes it habitable so they can begin to break soil and plant crops to harvest before winter, that they can survive to a new spring. But that is what matters - they built a place to restore pride in home, they plant crops they can keep, and they regain faith in their future."

"Compare that," he continues, "to the cost in town. It costs 15 gold for them to be in the inn for a month. The walls of Vaul keep them safe without mercenaries. They can earn wages sufficient to keep them fed. But it isn't THEIRS. Which is what you also offer. Not a 'win win.'"

He sighs, considering math in his head. " You wish to exercise your claim, so the tower is yours. As are all costs to improve, secure and sustain it. If it were my tower, I would fund it but I can't squander my own scant resources to build property belonging to others. I can offer this - you will find no better laborers than motivated dwarves and you will have long-term gain for the investment. If you pay the cost for materials, they'll turn your one-story watchpost into a proper two or three story tower which is of great value to you. I will split the costs of mercenaries with you, 20 gold each per month. But there is a promise that what they plant they can harvest. You gain proper fields that can be replanted for years to come, but this harvest is theirs. I can bargain no less for them and their labors - otherwise it is better for them to pass a little time in Vaul and put their labors to use there."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#114 Post by KingOfCowards »

Kennit's small mind is quickly filled with all the numbers Bromric throws about. Being a dwarf, he seems an expert builder, while Kennit math and figures were never his strong suit.

He finally catches the gist of the conversation at the end.
"So your dwarves will work the land, and act as labor-free builders? That sounds like a fine idea. Are they able to transport the materials themselves, if so I think we may be on to something."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Marullus »

"They have the wagons to transport materials, yes, once it is purchased in town," says Bromric. "Would you want the second story enclosed for 100 gold, or the third story added for... say, 350gp? The other proposals - the harvest and guards - they are fine?"

I'm using the estimates from the House Rules, but we need to get actual construction costs quoted by Keehnelf. :)

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Keehnelf »

(FYI, if you provide all the labor and design expertise, the cost for any given construction is reduced by 20%)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Perthrin watches the haggling between the dwarf and halfling, amazed at the speed. He hadn't anticipated ever living in the tower but he certainly is not against it. It would give him a place to read his books peacefully. He allows Kennit to do most of the talking, knowing his recent scar make his speech less intelligible, but at the mention of a second story, he attempts to chime in. Uh thecond and maybe even uh thurd thtowy for uh libwawy. His voice hurts his own, delicate ears. He uses his hand to emphasize he is talking about building upwards.

Thanks goodness I have two young boys that are hard to understand at times. It helps making the speech a bit more realistic.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#118 Post by KingOfCowards »

Would 350 cover both stories? Or would we need 100 for second and another 350 for the third? Between the two of us, I think we could afford 175 go each.
"The harvest does not concern me, and splitting costs of guards is a generous offer. I think we have an agreement."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Marullus »

Okay, here's the math pitch to Keehnelf. If he approves it and you fund it, we're good.

My understanding is that it is a 30' diameter tower. That has a circumference of 95 feet with an area of 707 feet.
With a 95' circumference it is ten 10' sections. "Upper level, can support further stories: 15gp" means 150gp for the walls.
  • The second story is partially built, just doesn't have a roof. We "finish the walls" - I'd hope it is half-cost because of the existing material, or 75gp.
  • You then need a floor/ceiling above that. That is 5gp per 10'x10' section. 707 sq.ft. is 7 sections, or 35gp.
  • Then building the stone walls for the third floor, "Upper level, top: 8gp" is 80gp.
  • Then a roof is "Wood flat: 1sp/SQFT" so 707sp or 70.7gp.
  • Build at least five beds plus a table and four chairs for the common room is 34gp.

That is 75 + 35 + 80 + 70.7 + 34 = 294.7 *.8 discount = 235.76gp

If you want windows in the upper floors, they are 5gp open or 30gp glazed, each.
If you want the main door upgraded to an iron door with sturdy locks, that is 30gp.

You can pay for iron sconces, but hanging a on each level lantern would be far more efficient for a 30' room.

Adding a 10' x 10' outbuilding on the side of the tower as a stable/barn:
  • Three walls are 30gp
  • Flat wood roof for 10gp
  • Standard wood door for 5gp (or lockable for 30gp)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#120 Post by KingOfCowards »

Sounds like a bargain price, assuming Keehnelf approves.
Much appreciated work on the design Marullus. Even if I wasn't on vacation, I wouldn't have put that together so quickly or thoroughly.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”