[Completed] - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

#181 Post by Zhym »

Ulf speaks in common, then, checking to see whether the young dwarf understands and speaking in a low voice, if necessary, to avoid the child hearing of his own death and being abandoned by his father.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Keehnelf »

Neither the boy nor the wolf seems to understand the common tongue.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Zhym »

"May we speak away from the child?" asks Ulf. "What I must tell you would upset him. I do not wish to do that."

If the wolf agrees, Ulf speaks as described above.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Keehnelf »

Nunir consents to step outside the circle of stones to consult with Ulf on the topic of the ghostly child. Hearing him out, the wolf responds gruffly: "There are two things that matter to me, apart from the boy's welfare--my isolation and my home. Unfortunately, one is at odds with the other and the boy resolves all the issues quite neatly. I don't want to keep him from peace, but he is happy enough here, and with him near the stones I can keep it as my home though my pack is gone..."

The wolf shakes its head. "There is no easy path for me. I would gladly accompany him to his old home, but I cannot leave my own home."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Zhym »

Ulf shakes his head sadly. "I would suggest that boy is only content because he does not know the circumstances of his being here," he says. "I do not wish to upset that contentedness, but I must ask: how long do you expect that to last? Is the boy to stay a ghost forever, never to grow or see his father or his family? Is that what is best for him?"

Ulf gives the wolf a long look. "No creature should be homeless or alone. I would help you, if I can, and if you would allow me. Do I understand you correctly, that you are bound to this place and cannot leave?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Keehnelf »

The wolf seems to shrug. "Not exactly, but this is my home--I can leave but it is my den."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Zhym »

Could dmnpc Seadu speak up, to see if the wolf has a better reaction roll to him? Or is it one reaction roll for the whole group?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Keehnelf »

One per group.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Zhym »

"Surely you are not the last wolf in the land—though I grant that few would now match you. If I swear to find others of your kind so that you are not alone, would you allow me to take the boy to the place where he belongs?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Keehnelf »

"What token do you offer me that your word is true? Dwarfs and your ilk have hunted my kind in these lands for all the span of seasons I can recall."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Zhym »

Ulf is caught short at the wolf's demand. "A token? How can a physical object prove that a person holds true to his word?" he asks. "Although dwarves and wolves have been enemies since before memory, you have the evidence of your eyes to show that an oath is no small thing to a dwarf." Ulf looks significantly at the ghost child and raises an eyebrow to the wolf.

"If I swear that I will seek others of your kind, I will devote myself to that task, just as I devote myself now to the task of restoring peace to this child's true home. You are welcome to come with us if you wish to observe for yourself what my word means."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Keehnelf »

The wolf looks in the child's direction. "That...is a good token. Perhaps we can discuss the future of my kind in this land, once you have returned with others."

Nunir pads softly over to the ghost-child, hanging its head. "These folk wish to reunite you with your family, who have traveled far from here and are unable to return. You will be far happier there--you should go."

With that, and before the child can respond, the wolf slinks away behind the stone altar without another word.

Gorroth looks over at Ulf. "Is it true?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Zhym »

Before the wolf leaves to talk to the boy, Ulf asks a question. "I have never met a wolf who spoke to me before.* I do not know how to speak to any others I meet. Is there some phrase you could teach me so that I may tell them of my oath?"

When the wolf slinks away behind the stone altar, Ulf answers the boy. "Yes, it is true. Will you come with us?"

* I think that's true. Ulf never met the Big Bad Wolf, did he?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Keehnelf »

Nunir seems to chuckle. "I do not believe you will be able to speak to others of my kind, no matter how much I try to teach you. In general, they are stupid beasts, and would not understand your words even if you were to learn, without the aid of magic. Perhaps there is a wizard of some kind that can aid you in speaking with animals."

Gorroth nods silently in response to Ulf's words, and stands up, hopping down from the altar and heading toward the edge of the stone ring. He pauses just inside, and then looks back at the altar. It strikes Ulf that he will need to carry the burned corpse for the boy to travel far. He looks down at the body and sees livid red runes inscribed in the stone around the body, virulent curses and statements of eternal enmity etched at the urging of an unhinged mind.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Zhym »

Ulf nods at Numir's suggestion that Ulf ask a wizard. Or maybe that centaur I've heard about would have an idea, he thinks. A problem for another time.

He looks at the boy's remains—and the curse surrounding it. No doubt against anyone who would disturb the bones. "Won't be the first time I've been cursed," he quips aloud. Still, best to take what precautions I can.

"Seadu, Martin—have either of you prepared the prayers needed to protect a person from evil? I do not know if such a spell would do anything against a dwarven curse, but I doubt that it would hurt."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Keehnelf »

Martin and Seadu indicate that they have not, but if the party remains there until morning they can perform the necessary rites.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Zhym »

Did Seadu change his memorized spell list? He has PfE listed as a prepared spell list on his character sheet, but I don't know if that's out of date or canon.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Keehnelf »

Oops, my error. Let's assume it's up to date. Seadu casts the spell.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Zhym »

Ulf removes his cloak. He takes a deep breath, wraps the boy's body in the cloak, and removes the swaddled body from the altar.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Keehnelf »

Gorroth looks over at Ulf as he bends to pick up the body, and seems on the verge of saying something, when Ulf lifts the body from the stone the ghost-boy abruptly vanishes.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”