[Completed] - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Ulf/Mission for the Dwarves - May 20, 1 VC

#161 Post by Keehnelf »

The hobgoblins nod, thank Ulf courteously, take the letter the rations and the token, and set off westward.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by Zhym »

Well, we made pretty good RP hay out of that random encounter.

When the hobgoblins have passed out of sight, Ulf sets out west following the tracks.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Zhym »

I only just realized that west is toward Vaul, not away from it. We could have gone with the hobgoblins, at least for a while.

Oh well. Ulf gets directionally challenged when there aren't any walls, I guess.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#164 Post by Keehnelf »

May 27, 1 VC - 4:10pm

The trio head due west in pursuit of the tracks. For a time, it is easy to keep in sight of them as they cross softer ground with more soil over the bedrock of the moor, but starting in early afternoon the tracks cross lighter soil and bare rock and become more difficult to trace, which slows the party's progress. With many stops and starts, by the end of the second day of travel the party spies a landmark ahead of them, directly along the path they are following: the ring of black standing-stones.

Please deduct one day's rations each.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

"Of course," says Ulf, seeing the Black Wolf's stones. Where else would a vengeful Fangir go? "Let us hope that the danger from these stones passed with the wolf. If he truly passed."

He cautiously approaches the stones, holding his hammer ready should any wolves jump out.

-1 ration

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Keehnelf »

May 27, 1 VC - 4:30pm

The party approaches the ring of standing-stones known to be the home of the allegedly-slain Black Wolf. Standing well outside of their circumference, Ulf, Seadu and Martin can see a small shimmering form sitting atop the broad altar of rough black stone that dominates the center. Upon closer inspection, the form appears to be that of a child, wrapped in a pale blue-green aura like Agathon. It appears either unconcerned or oblivious of the party's approach.

(This is Ulf's show for the time being, with Seadu and Martin both on GMNPC autopilot)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Zhym »

"Uh oh," says Ulf under his breath. He approaches the circle, but remains outside of it for the moment, scanning the area for bones or signs that something is buried.

"Hello there," he says. "What's your name?" If he receives no response, he will step inside the circle and ask again.
Keehnelf wrote:the form appears to be that of a child, wrapped in a pale blue-green aura like Agathon.
DYAC?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Keehnelf »

What do you mean? Agathon's aura was green-blue. He wasn't a child, but that's not what I was modifying.

Ulf can't see much atop the altar because of the odd distortion of the figure's shimmering aura, but he sees no sign of fresh (or recent) burial or earth-moving nearby.

Ulf comes close to the edge of the stone circle, and even from outside he can feel a deep and ancient power radiating from it. The form--recognizable as a child when it reacts to his words as though startled by an unexpected interruption. (what language is Ulf speaking?)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Zhym »

Is there an Agathon other than the Greek poet? I don't see the connection between him and a blue-green aura.

Oh! Agathon Firedeep. Duh. :)

Ulf asks the question in Dwarf and in Lawful.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Keehnelf »

Haha, I love it. I should have used his clan name ;)

The figure starts and then after a moment of peering out through the gaps in the stones responds in dwarven.

"Oh, hello there. Are you a friend? My name is Gorroth. This is my home. Do you want to come in? It's a little cold here, but this bed is comfortable enough." He smiles and pats the top of the stone altar.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Zhym »

"Hello, Gorroth," answers Ulf in dwarven. "My name is Ulf Stronghammer. I am at your service. May I ask—how long has this been your home? Do you like it here?"

Wary of the extreme curse Fangir might have laid on this place, Ulf pokes one hand inside the stones, testing the chill.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Keehnelf »

Ulf sticks one hand inside and finds the air chill but not dangerously so. Gorroth takes a moment before responding.

"You know, I'm not sure how long it's been. The sun and moon are such hazy and distant things, it's hard for me to tell one from the other sometimes. I have some dim memories of having been somewhere else, once upon a time, but...it feels like it's been ages. And I get unpleasant feelings in my stomach when I think about it, so I like to focus on my home here. It's not such a bad place."

He looks around curiously.

"What brings you here? Did you come to visit me, Ulf Stronghammer?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Zhym »

Ulf ties a rope to one ankle and hands the other end to Seadu. "If anything goes wrong," he says, "Pull me back out."

"I did come to visit you," he tells the ghost. He enters the circle, looking again at the stone altar to see if he can see if anything on on it. He hesitates. What do you say to the ghost of a child? Would a child understand a curse? "You used to live somewhere else," he ventures. "Somewhere you belong, with family. They are sad because you are not there. They would really like it if you came back."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Keehnelf »

Gorroth frowns. "I did come back, that's why I'm here!" He looks agitated by the idea. "I was living somewhere else and I was told I was wanted and needed--but now the only friend I have is Nunir!"

As Ulf steps inside the circle, he finally spots Nunir, a massive dark-brown wolf with some streaks of gray along its flank slinking out from behind the altar where it had presumably been sleeping before this exchange began. It is easily 20% larger than a normal wolf, but not nearly so grand as the reported size of the Black Wolf, which some claimed was the size of a bear.

The wolf cocks its head to one side and, remarkably, begins speaking in dwarvish, addressing Gorroth: "Is this monster disturbing your rest, my sweet child? I can drive it off if you wish."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Zhym »

Ulf raises his hands in supplication. "I am sorry I upset you," he tells the ghost boy.

Ulf bows respectfully to the wolf. "Greetings, Nunir. I am Ulf Stronghammer, son of Thuin Stronghammer. This is Martin Whyte, Cleric of Falles, and Seadu Erana the Twice-Born. We are here on a quest given to Seadu from Falles himself. We have no quarrel with you, and mean the boy no harm. Do you know the full story of his being here?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Keehnelf »

Gorroth looks a bit mollified but is stifling a sob from atop the altar. He stands abruptly, and Ulf can now clearly see a small charred corpse lying on the altar behind him. Nunir takes another step forward and bares its teeth.

"Know? The child came here while I was away, and he keeps me solace in the lonely hours of the dark, now my pack is slain. Do not upset his peace or you will come to regret it soon, little dwarf."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Zhym »

"Our quest is to bring the boy peace," answers Ulf, as placatingly as he can manage. He still hopes that he can resolve the situation peacefully. Killing the child's wolf companion is no way to make friends. "Peace to him, and to his ancestors, who walk restless when they should sleep. They wish to return to their slumber. If you know this child's clan, the name Agathon Firedeep should mean something to you. He seeks the boy's return to the place where he belongs. If you truly have his best interests at heart; if you would have the boy know rest instead of loneliness, then please—help us."

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Keehnelf »

Ulf Reaction Roll [2d6-1] = 9-1 = 8

Nunir grumbles low in its throat. "And what of me? I know nothing of this Agathon Firedeep, or the boy's family. I am the boy's family, since his people abandoned him here. Not once since he arrived has one of your kind come to give him solace. Not once have they shielded him from the rain or the hot sun with their body, as I have. Not once have they brought him food or drink, as I sought to do before I learned he needs none of these things. If they wanted him so much, they should have come and retrieved him in person, not sent some emissary to do the deed because they are too busy."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Zhym »

Ulf glances again at the upset ghost child and speaks in goblin. "You know this language, yes?" he asks the wolf. "The child is upset enough as it is. I do wish to distress him further by speaking of unpleasant matters before him."

If the wolf shows its understanding, Ulf continues. "The boy is dead. You must know that. His father, driven mad by grief, left the boy's body here. I do not understand why. There is no one left of his clan to visit him. They are dead, like him, but they cannot rest while his remains lie here. Nor can they leave that place far from here where their bones lie. They need us to do this for them not because they are busy, but because they are unable to do it themselves. As for me, I believed until only a day or two ago that he already rested with his kin, or I might have come sooner."

"I say again: if you truly care for the boy, please help us take him to his rest. Join us. Protect him in his travels and, if you would, at his resting place. Or, if you prefer, I will swear to help you find a new pack, as payment of a debt of gratitude. Or perhaps there is another favor you would wish?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Keehnelf »

The wolf seems not to understand the goblin tongue.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”