Action Thread 3

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 3

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 10:01a
beginning of Round 1

They act a bit faster than you all do. The two creatures shoot out and thump into Malak and Varkos. Malak being hit by the one that SoT had been targeting, sap getting in his eyes. Sparks fly as the torch (which he waves ineffectively) is hit right along with him. Varkos also misses with his sword as he too is thumped. But neither seem hurt...

PMs sent. Also, I forgot about specialization. This is an odd numbered round, so (normally) the single class fighter types get to attack first and last with their specialized weapons. So Varkos has missed with his first attack, but will get another attack with his sword. Son of Thunder gets two attacks with his spear, and Korgul gets two with his axe. The first attack SoT and Korgul make will go off before the plants attacks, so if that changes things I’ll not it in my next Action Post. Malak attempted to attack already, but everyone else in the party can act at this point as well. Once all actions have been taken and rolled for, we’ll move to Round 2.
Questions?

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Malak; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Varkos; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 49 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 51 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 3

#2 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ron, what's your limit going to be on how many people can effectively get around one of the pods to attack it (not that the female elven mage is going to jump right into the thick of it, swinging her stick). With walls/doorways and such as they are, there is only 180 degrees of access to each, and one might argue anyone standing in between the two plants would just be able to attack one of them...

"STOP!" Ilhalevar shouts, surprising even herself. "Everyone move out of their range!"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#3 Post by saalaria »

"Urgh its got me - someone stab it!"

Varkos swings again:

Longsword [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22 Dam [1d8+5] = 3+5 = 8

OOC - that's more like it!

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by KesselZero »

Okay, here we go. I'm new to AD&D rules so please look on any and all mistakes as teaching opportunities.

Moradin's hairy arse, ye're a sad bunch of missers, ain't ye? grumbles Korgul. Let a dwarf show ye how to slay a foe.

Assuming one of the things is in range of a dwarf on his tiptoes... Korgul stands directly under one of the plant-creatures, shield held above his head just in case, and takes a whack at it with his axe.

Battle Axe attack: [1d20 + 2] = 16+2 = 18
Battle Axe damage: [1d8 + 3] = 5+3 = 8

And that's how ye do that!

Regarding the numbers, I'm basing the to-hit roll on my Strength 17 = +1, and specialization = +1. Same for the damage roll but specialization gives a +2. My THAC0 is 18, so I should hit anything with an AC of 0 or higher, yeah? Thanks for bearing with me while I learn a new old system. :geek:

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#5 Post by KesselZero »

That's some solid swordwork, Varkos!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by rredmond »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Ron, what's your limit going to be on how many people can effectively get around one of the pods to attack it (not that the female elven mage is going to jump right into the thick of it, swinging her stick). With walls/doorways and such as they are, there is only 180 degrees of access to each, and one might argue anyone standing in between the two plants would just be able to attack one of them...
This round, with some ducking and hurrying you can get behind them, as they are stretched out to almost 10'. But before this, they had the exitway pretty well covered. Also they have thumped up against Malak and Varkos. So essentially they can attack, someone can attack either plant from the middle, and there can be two attackers on each side of the plants - the outward side as it were. Let me mock up a crappy picture.
Combat1.jpg
Combat1.jpg (7.68 KiB) Viewed 1759 times
Essentially the X's are where folks could go. But Wulf, SoT, and Korgul have three of those X-spots (from previous declarations) and Zafalia is right there, though didn't step into the fray.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

KZ you look dead on. That's your first attack this round, the other wonderful thing about specialization is that you get an extra attack on odd numbered rounds. You can make another attack for the end of the round too.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:KZ you look dead on.
lol... thought we'd lost our first character there for a second...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#9 Post by KesselZero »

More attacks, eh?

Have some of this, you horror!

Battle Axe: attack roll: [1d20 + 2] = 20+2 = 22 damage roll: [1d8 + 3] = 4+3 = 7

Ha!

Wow, I'll take that. Anything special happen on a natural 20?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

As if in stereo, Malak can be heard nearly echoing Varkos:

"Ahhhh... it's got me!" His torch hand pinned by the vines wrapped about him, Malak efforts to see if he's able to turn his wrist at all, hoping to bring the still lit torch back up and into the capturing plant. If unsuccessful, he will drop the torch to the ground before, he suspects, he is lifted to the ceiling.

With his loose hand, he will first see if he can reach his short sword at his side or if it, too, is tangled. If he can't reach his sword, will be to try and fetch his dagger or, as a last resort, use his loose hand to try and pry himself free.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

KesselZero wrote:Wow, I'll take that. Anything special happen on a natural 20?
Nice! As for a natural 20, I don't believe there is any formal rule governing it, so whether anything special happens will vary by DM. I'm not aware of anything extra being applied in Ron's games, but he'll obviously chime in with the official word.
-- Project --
-- DM --

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

KesselZero wrote:...
Wow, I'll take that. Anything special happen on a natural 20?
For me it's just always a hit. For example if you needed a 23 to hit, but you only got a 22, but since it was a natural 20, you get through their defenses. I haven't done critical hits and misses in a long time... not sure why.
dmw71 wrote:..With his loose hand, he will first see if he can reach his short sword at his side or if it, too, is tangled. If he can't reach his sword, will be to try and fetch his dagger or, as a last resort, use his loose hand to try and pry himself free.
Actually yes you can get your sword, as it's just beneath your loose hand. The torch hand is got good, as well as the lower part of the torch, you can't twist the wrist, you may be able to move the fingers a bit though.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#13 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo looks on as the plants and the party attack each other, seeing them fight.

"Wow, one of them knows how to use a sword, they might not be totally hopeless after all."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Actually yes you can get your sword, as it's just beneath your loose hand.
Malak reaches down with his free, non-preferred hand and carefully lifts his short sword from its scabbard. "Thank goodness this is only a short sword --" he thinks "-- any longer of a blade and who knows?"

Chaos about him, he fights to keep his composure and even takes a moment to find the balance with his weapon in his off-hand before attempting to actually use it.

To hit with short sword in off-hand [1d20-5] = 19-5 = 14 <-- ooc: I took a -5 penalty to hit (-1 strength penalty plus -4 for using his off-hand). Feel free to perform additional adjustments as necessary.
Damage against S/M with short sword [1d6] = 2 <-- ooc: Just in case. By the way, what size are these creatures considered: small/medium or large? I'm guessing s/m and rolled accordingly.

"Hey, maybe I should use this hand all the time?" Malak thinks to himself as he slashes down on the creature that binds him. Not even sure if his attack was successful or not, it sure felt like a true strike to him.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Vargr1105
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#15 Post by Vargr1105 »

Distorted Humor wrote:Odo looks on as the plants and the party attack each other, seeing them fight.

"Wow, one of them knows how to use a sword, they might not be totally hopeless after all."
"Yes...I guess there are still more surprises to be found in Heaven and Earth that are dreamed of in our incredulity."

Rake taps his money pouch as he says this. Half-expecting to be loosing is wager.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#16 Post by saalaria »

KesselZero wrote:That's some solid swordwork, Varkos!
I thank you...but not too shabby yourself KZ...and you did it twice!

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by tkrexx »

Release him, sapling! the Ranger bellows as if he expects the plant to heed his words, and his spear lashes forth at the green foe fastened to Malak.

[1d20] = 6 +2= 8
Won't bother rolling damage.
[1d20] = 15 +2= 17
Spear damage
[1d6] = 4 +3= 7

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia, although hearing Ilhalevar's warning, also hears Malak and Varkos call out for help. She is snapped into action by Son of Thunder's yelled challenge and moves up opposite the ranger to stab out with her spear at the flora sentry holding Malak:

To Hit: spear vs flora guardian:
[1d20] = 16

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=5141

Damage: spear vs sm/med creatures:
[1d6] = 4

http://www.unseenservant.com/Default.as ... ne&id=5142

(heh, just realized that I had nerfed Zaf's previous sling shot. Being a halfling with 18 Dex, she is +6 to hit, not +3. I forgot about her racial bonus! :oops: Anyways, permanent macro now created at roller.)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nuke66 »

Still mildly amused, but growing a bit concerned now, Al'Zur slinks away into the shadows and looks to position himself to sever the tentacle.

Distorted Humor
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#20 Post by Distorted Humor »

Odo Points to the crawling critter, and pulls out his sword.

"Well mate, shall we make a hero's entrance and help the big people, or fight that by ourselves? "

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”