Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

#221 Post by Keehnelf »

Varas is pulled out through the open window and immediately drops into the open space between his window and the other side. Without anything supporting him, he starts to fall, the rope tautening under his weight. He slams against the wall seven feet below the far-side's window holding on for dear life and gritting his teeth against the shock. Despite his grip, however, he still feels himself begin to fall as the pullers on the far side lose their grip now that they are supporting his full weight at an odd angle! The rope begins to slip and Varas falls to the rock-strewn ground below in a crumpled heap. (he only takes 7 damage by some miracle)

Enemy STR check [1d20] = 19, [1d20] = 15, [1d20] = 12

Falling damage [3d6] = 7

The remaining adventurers see two orcs and a gnoll grasping at the rope as it begins to slip, crowded in the window. When they look up, and realize they're vulnerable and that the loss of the rope is a sure thing, they dart back into the shadows and let it fall with a clang.

On the ground below, Varas finds that he is now just about five feet past the portcullis, inside the main gate.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by AleBelly »

Does Varas think he could climb into the window above with the orc and gnolls? Or is it too overhung?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by AleBelly »

to turn it into an action...

Varas, mindful of the murder holes, backs towards the friendly side of the hallway. As he does so, he downs the rest of his healing potion (should restore 4 hp). He gathers his rope if it did indeed fall, and winks at Dorvar as he retreats back. "Hit a bit of a snag, here. Will have the gate open in just a few."

Under the "friendly" lookout, the thief shouts up to Odium. "If you use the scroll, I'll climb up and take care of those three. I don't see another way out."

VAras will only call up to Odium if he thinks he has a reasonable chance of reaching the other lookout post.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by Keehnelf »

It's about thirty five feet straight up a wall with an overhanging lip big enough for inset dwarf statues, and the rope is down with Varas. It would be a climb walls check at -50. Otherwise, he'd need to toss the hook back up and climb before the enemy could dislodge it.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#225 Post by AleBelly »

Varas will wait to see if Odium will read from his scroll. If so, he will time it so that he throws up his hook at the same time Odium begins reading from the scroll.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Keehnelf »

Just to clarify: Varas can continue deeper into the fortress along the main entrance if he likes as well, he just can't get back outside from here.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#227 Post by AleBelly »

OK. He's probably not too keen on leaving enemies at his back, but will wait for the response from Deliah and Odium.

And by the way, he only had 3 hp left in his healing flask, so hp adjusted down one.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by Marullus »

Deliah gasps and covers her mouth as Varas falls, exhaling in relief as he rises from the ground, not dead. She looks to Odium as Varas requests use of a scroll. "You have that?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf wrote:It's about thirty five feet straight up a wall with an overhanging lip big enough for inset dwarf statues, and the rope is down with Varas. It would be a climb walls check at -50. Otherwise, he'd need to toss the hook back up and climb before the enemy could dislodge it.
Am I correct in assuming that a clanging grappling hook wouldn't make enough noise to wake slumbering foes?

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#230 Post by Keehnelf »

It should not.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by Starbeard »

(Sorry for the delay. Thesis defenses!) :(

Odium retrieves his scroll and unfurls it. 'I was hoping to save this for a more opportune and less embarrassing occasion, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers, can they?'

He directs his sleep spell where Varas indicated and hopes for the best.

Sleep [2d8] = 5

-1 sleep scroll

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by AleBelly »

Good luck with the theses...whether you're defending or serving on a committee, it's a 'fun' process!

After Odium reads from his scroll, Varas gets to work throwing his grappling hook back up into the window.

"Cover me" he whispers as he shimmies up the rope.

Throws:

Throw the grappling hook [1d20] = 20

First try!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by AleBelly »

Varas gives Odium a thumbs-up, then will then climb the rope as quickly as possible, slitting the throats of all but the weakest foe- I think that's the orc. Unless the foe shows signs of waking, Varas will pull up the rope, cut about 6' off, and bind the foe's legs, then hands. If it still hasn't waken, he binds its mouth. If he has time, he'll look to see which doors lead into this chamber, and try to secure it if it has a lock or barring device.

Then, he'll signal to Deliah and attempt to lift the portcullis using a lever.

Sorry if this is too much action, but figured we could move things along if nothing intervenes.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#234 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

Now that things are clearly happening, Dorvar will ready his crossbow in case an enemy shows itself.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#235 Post by Keehnelf »

Varas waits until Odium intones the keywords of the scroll he scribed earlier, hoping the magic takes effect quickly. There is a brief cry from the goblinoids as the hook clangs into place and, though the party can't see anyone in the far room, they hear the noise of someone or something falling, followed by silence. Varas quickly shimmies up the rope and tops the window sill, where he immediately sees in the dim room beyond a gnoll lying prostrate on the floor nearby. He is scanning the area for the others when the two orcs grab at him from either side of the window, trying to drag him into the room! The wily thief evades the first, but the second gets hold of a bit of his armor and hauls him into the room, barking out in rough common: "We got your friend! No fighting or we kill him!" To emphasize their point, the other orc menaces him with a long-bladed knife.

Sleep saves [1d20] = 1, [1d20] = 16, [1d20] = 20

Orcs Grabbing Varas [1d20] = 9, [1d20] = 15

(Varas is currently grabbed, but not bound, and in the room, which is very dark for his sight but seems, from what he can tell, to be a mirror of the room on the other side)

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by AleBelly »

Well shit, i forgot about saves :lol:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by Marullus »

saves? :shock:
Yikes! That is a game changer, particularly for the 1/day spellcaster. I never used saves against sleep.

Page19 says savings throws are allowed against spells only when noted in the spell description.

With sleep in particular, there is already a randomization mechanic in that the number of HD affected is rolled, which covers the "how well does the spell work" aspect. Having to overcome the HD roll and then also saves for every creature takes a lot of oomph out of the mage.

Of course, as the only low-level crowd control spell, even once a day is better than nothing. :) Definitely increases the importance of wizards being able to melee or something as well, though.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by AleBelly »

They've been in play for sleep spells since the beginning. I just forgot.

Does Varas have any chance of breaking the orcs' holds?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Marullus »

A thin knife is quickly in Deliah's hand, but she is gripped by indecision. With no leverage for bargaining and scant chance of killing one, let alone both, before they end Varas.... She waits for Varas to give direction, looking to Odium with an overwhelmed expression.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Starbeard »

Odium Contemptus

'I haven't got any more scrolls,' explains Odium. He absentmindedly fingers the various trinkets suspended from his neck and watches the action above.

'Well, Varas: would you like to live, or shall we kill them now?'

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”