Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

Keehnelf
Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Varas/The Dragon's Hoard - May 20, 1 VC

#201 Post by Keehnelf »

One of Deliah's knives was too badly damaged to recover (likely the one she would need to fish out of the ghoul's ghuts).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Marullus »

1 subtracted; 14 remaining.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by AleBelly »

Marullus wrote:Were all her knives recoverable?

Deliah whispers to Varas, "We should, perhaps, leave one here at this lever as we pursue the other other lever. It avails us nothing to achieve the other summit if we've lost this one and must pull them at the same time."

She considers the room they left. "Our goal is to pass the gate, yes? If there are more battles below, perhaps we could more efficiently take the objective. Negotiating with the goblins opposite was to no avail, but perhaps a distraction below could summon them that way, if you can see a way to climb across..." She furrows her brow, her strategizing coming up short.
"We are of the same mind, Deliah" replies Varas. He looks across to the room containing the complementary winch used to raise the portcullis. He estimates his chances at being able to throw his grappling hook through and getting it to attach on a sill or some other point of purchase. If it's better than 50/50, he'll run to the guard room, retrieve his rope and hook, and attempt to do so.

Better yet, he'll ask Deliah to do so while he readies his bow to shoot the goblin if it tries to interfere.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Keehnelf »

Tossing the grappling hook through the window would be a ranged attack against an armor class of 4.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by AleBelly »

Varas runs to the guard room, retrieves his grappling hook and rope and looks down to Dorvar. "Ten minutes!" he mouths silently.

He returns to the room with the others. "Deliah, can you hurl this to the other window? I'll cover you with my bow. If it connects, hold the rope fast with the others and I'll climb across. Sound like a plan?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

Deliah inhales and holds her breath, nodding once firmly to acknowledge her role in Varas' plan. She calls her two guards over to help her hold the rope. Then, with trepidation, she spins the hook and throws it - hitting the wall of our own room.

Throw hook [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4

Flushing crimson to match her hair, she quickly winds it up and tries again, with no better results.

Throw hook [1d20+1] = 5+1 = 6

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by AleBelly »

Varas watches the proceedings, keeping his bow drawn in case a humanoid appears in the opposite frame.

Attack with long bow under 70' (THAC0 19) [1d20+2] = 10+2 = 12, damage [1d8] = 8

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#208 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

Seeing Varas appear at the window and mouth something to him, Dorvar makes sure he is ready when the group upstairs opens the gate. Hopefully it will be soon. And hopefully they don't draw too much attention to themselves with the noise they are making. What are they doing, trying to knock down a wall?

Well, Mustard, we should be able to get inside soon. I think, the dwarf mutters.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Marullus »

Do I try again?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by AleBelly »

I'm not sure. I was waiting to see if there was a reaction from the other side...or if the humanoid on the other side took action to see if Varas had a chance of hitting with his bowshot. KE mentioned somewhere else that he has his hands full, so we might just be delayed on an update...

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Keehnelf »

Yeah sorry, I had done up a response to this and apparently it didn't take! My apologies.

As the clang of the grappling hook echoes through the area, the voice from the other side calls out, "You'd best just head back out the way you came, if you're not looking for trouble!"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by AleBelly »

Without responding, Varas grabs the hook and tosses it at the window. It doesn't take, but he gauges his throw on the second toss and makes a seemingly successful throw.

Throw the grappling hook [1d20] = 7

Throw the grappling hook [1d20] = 19

The thief quickly draws his bow to see if that action draws anyone to the window.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Keehnelf »

As Varas' second throw catches in the window, he is surprised by a sudden yank on the rope!

Strength check, please!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by AleBelly »

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Keehnelf »

The rope slips from Varas' fingers and begins to uncoil and disappear through the window!

Dex check from anyone who wants to try and grab it to keep it from getting away from you--

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by AleBelly »

Varas DEX check (14) [1d20] = 2

Varas braces his legs against the wall as he attempts to grab the rope.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Marullus »

Dex check (13) [1d20] = 18

Deliah cries out in alarm, also trying to grasp the rope.

*sigh* Why can't those be ATTACK rolls?

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by Starbeard »

Odium leaps instinctively for the rope at the same moment as Deliah. The effort puts some undue strain on his underused muscles. 'Yow! My back!'

He makes a sour face while easing the tension in his hunched torso. 'Well, have we another grappling hook?'

Dex 10 [1d20] = 12

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by Keehnelf »

Only Varas manages to get hold of the rope, positioned as he was already, but he is overpowered by whoever or whatever is yanking on the line from the other end.

Does he allow himself to be pulled out the window, or does he let go of the rope?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by AleBelly »

Normally I wouldn't, but Varas doesn't want to waste his silk rope...and he has a 5 WIS so...

The tall, lanky thief grasps the rope, perhaps out of reflex, but immediately regrets his decision as he flies through the air...

He watches the others try to grasp the rope. Dismay washes over his face as he sees these attempts are unsuccessful.

Return to “Labyrinth Lord West Marches Sandbox”