Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#201 Post by Jack »

Uilon looks at the vines and roots, and says to the dryad "Silene, are we in danger?"

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#202 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Ioriston is at the ready. He uses detect magic to see if there's anything out of place here that would either confirm or deny the supposition that the forest is actually 'after us'.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#203 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Let's get out and now. Fire may help pave the way.

Aslaan looks for the clearest route back the way they came (i.e. clear of writhing roots and vines) and steps clear of anything coming his way.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Uilon looks at the vines and roots, and says to the dryad "Silene, are we in danger?"
"Not we, my love." The dryad replies as she flicks her wrists and the vines and plants around Uilon's companions come to life!
Kelton calls out in alarm as does Aslaan with the egg. Ioriston, who had cast detect magic, is nearly overwhelmed with the aura of magic in the dryad's grove. "The forest is after us!" he cries.

"LATHANDER'S LIGHT!" Gerland shouts, pointing his arm and unleashing a flash of light that slams into the dryad, nearly blinding Uilon in the process. Guiding Bolt: [4d6] = 15

The forest seems to shudder and wail in pain from the bolt which bathes the dryad in glorious light. "Uilon! Help me!" she cries, but before the druid can act, two bolts of energy slam into her chest and head, leaving her limp, halfway out of her oak tree. Magic Missile: [2d4+2] = 5+2 = 7
theryis.jpg
theryis.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 626 times
The plants and vines around your feet go limp and a voice to your left shouts, "Don't just stand there! Come with us if you want to live!" Turning, you see a familiar face > it is Theryis, the pretty half-elf from the House of a Thousand Faces. Standing near her are a half dozen more figures, mostly men of elvish descent; all are dressed in hooded cloaks, armed with bows and swords. "Aslaan! Bring the egg and let's go!" Theryis urges. "The grove will respond and you don't want to be around when it does."

There is a path through the grove where the half-elves stand. The way is clear...for now.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#205 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton does as he is told and chases after the pretty woman, again.

Lets get out of here while we're still able!

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#206 Post by Jack »

Uilon moves between Silene and Gerland holding out his hands. "Wait! Why are we attacking each other?"

When Theryis arrives, and warns about the grove, he wonders if Silene and her tree is at danger from Haeredeth.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#207 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan claps his hands in glee when the dryad is blasted and then rushes toward the seeming rescuers as instructed. Dousing the grove in oil and igniting all of this might seem gauche in front of the newcomers so he will wait and see. But it may be required to escape when the entire landscape is coming alive to attack them. Oh, how he just wants to get away from all of the zealots. He does his best to protect the egg from harm as he hurries away, his bow at the ready for the next calamity.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#208 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Seeing little choice, Ioriston follows after the elvenfolk!
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by hedgeknight »

Three of the companions hurry after Theryis and the others. Uilon is confused about the attack on Silene the dryad and he hesitates to follow. Two of the cloaked elves urge him to follow as the grove begins to react to the attack on the dryad. As the others disappear, running to escape the grove, the two cloaked elves suddenly find themselves unable to move, their legs and lower torso wrapped in thick clinging vines, holding them fast.
As Uilon watches, the elves draw steel and try to hack themselves free. One manages to call out for help, but then his cry is suddenly stilled...when a thick vine quickly lashes out of the ground and wraps around his neck! His eyes bulge and he struggles mightily fighting for breath, clawing at this throat.
His companion tries to cut the vine with his sword, but the vines entangling his torso swarm upward and engulf him, wrapping so thickly that Uilon can no longer see any sign of him.

The green...speaks to me...you wish to see me, my child?

The words are not spoken, so much as Uilon hears them. He turns to see the one he has been looking for all along.
druidic female.jpg
druidic female.jpg (334.86 KiB) Viewed 622 times
Haeredeth walks slowly, yet deliberately toward him. Vines seem drawn to her and she allows them to caress her as she walks.

Oh, child...you and your friends have done bad things to my grove. Answer for yourself...now!

Actions?

Elsewhere...
Breathing hard and sweating with the effort of running through the grove, Theryis and her companions lead Aslaan, Kelton, and Ioriston to the edge of the grove, north of where the group originally entered.
"We must get out of the city! The egg...its mother will want it, yes?" Theryis asks.

Actions?
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#210 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Aslaan was about to answer when the insinuation of her comment sinks in. He gives Kelton a meaningful look as if to say, did we just get rescued so they could take the egg for themselves? Aslaan moves around (with the seeming pretext of restless movement and of watching their flanks and looking for pursuit) so as to have no one behind or too near him and to have clear fire lines at their "rescuers".

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#211 Post by Jack »

Uilon runs to the entangled elves, but after they disappear he turns and says in Druidic, "Sister Haeredeth, we killed some possessed treants and an orc who said you've forsaken the precarious balance by siding with Maegera. Is this true?"

"I agree that the destroyers and usurpers must eventually be driven out, but"
he says, taking out a sprig of mistletoe, "the circles will not allow the plane of fire to flow into this one."

Action: ready casting Faerie fire if Haeredeth admits to siding with Maegera, or anyone attacks.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#212 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton also picks up on the interesting phrasing from their "rescuers". He nods a silent conformation at Aslaans actions, hoping he is on the same page.

Where did you come form all sudden like? Did you follow us in there? What about the friends you just lost? And the one we may have just lost? Do you have no concern for them or do you have other motives for helping us? I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this all seems a bit off to me!

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by hedgeknight »

Jack wrote:Uilon runs to the entangled elves, but after they disappear he turns and says in Druidic, "Sister Haeredeth, we killed some possessed treants and an orc who said you've forsaken the precarious balance by siding with Maegera. Is this true?"

I have forsaken nothing, child. The awakening of Maegera was...an epiphany for me. This city, for too long, has taken for granted the green upon which it was built. It is this city and its leaders which have FORSAKEN the balance! They raped and took for their own this beautiful land in their eagerness for commerce! They cared not for the living creatures and plant life here...nor do they still! And they shall reap what they have sown.

"I agree that the destroyers and usurpers must eventually be driven out, but" he says, taking out a sprig of mistletoe, "the circles will not allow the plane of fire to flow into this one."
Haeredeth smiles as Uilon pulls forth a sprig of mistletoe.
The plane of fire has already flowed into this one when Maegera awoke and split the great mountain. Rivers of lava burned away much of this city...and the green will fill the breach and make it beautiful once again. I sense you do not trust me, my child. Why else would you prepare to invoke the magic of the green upon me. Tell me true, whose side are you on really? The side of all things natural and living or the deadened ways of industry and commerce?
Winter is coming...

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#214 Post by hedgeknight »

OGRE MAGE wrote:Kelton also picks up on the interesting phrasing from their "rescuers". He nods a silent conformation at Aslaans actions, hoping he is on the same page.
Where did you come form all sudden like? Did you follow us in there? What about the friends you just lost? And the one we may have just lost? Do you have no concern for them or do you have other motives for helping us? I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this all seems a bit off to me!
Theryis hesitates a few seconds and then nods. "Yes, we followed you. Aren't you glad we did? We have lost no one! Rin and Theer stayed to guide the young druid out. They will be along shortly; they know the way home. And what other motives are you talking about?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#215 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

The young fighter tries to parse the woman's words and her pause.
perception [1d20+3] = 5+3 = 8 :roll:
This likely won't do much but he tries to test the waters a bit. So if all of you will lead the way, we will head back to the Inn, no?

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#216 Post by Jack »

"I am not on Maegera's side, who would destroy the living things of this plane by setting all of it on fire. Can you not see the plane for the trees?"

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#217 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Things are not looking good and options seem to be shrinking. He wracks his brain but is unsure of what powers dragons have. Can they hear thoughts from across great distances? If so, is it stronger when it involves something dear to them? Feeling a fool but unsure what else to do he begins to think "loudly", an exertion as if trying to broadcast message to the mother.

*We have your precious young but are directly threatened by those who would destroy it or use it for their own twisted ends. However little you may think of us, we are keeping our word and are trying to get your young back to you where she belongs. Honor our agreement! Save your young! Destroy those who would threaten your brood as you have always done! The people directly before us and those in the grove- they threaten that which is most precious to you! Exact your vengeance!*

He shouts this in his mind over and over, willing it to go out to the mother dragon...all while trying to look extremely casual to onlookers which ends up looking like tense/distracted oddness, no doubt.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#218 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton shouts back at the obvious imposter.

They know the way home? Is that all you can say? That seems preposterous to me!!! They might be in big trouble back there.......or even worse than that!

How is it that you were just a simple bar wench a few hours ago but now you are leading a band of trained fighters? You can see that looks pretty suspicious, right?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#219 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Aslaan
This likely won't do much but he tries to test the waters a bit. So if all of you will lead the way, we will head back to the Inn, no?
Theryis points at the egg. "We are not taking that back to the Inn! We need to get the egg out of the city before its mother shows up."

Aslaan nods and then seems to be thinking of something else, while Kelton shouts back at Theryis.
OGRE MAGE wrote:They know the way home? Is that all you can say? That seems preposterous to me!!! They might be in big trouble back there.......or even worse than that!
How is it that you were just a simple bar wench a few hours ago but now you are leading a band of trained fighters? You can see that looks pretty suspicious, right?
Theryis clenches her jaw and her fists and takes a deep breath. She then begins to unbutton her shirt...one button, then another, then another. She then reaches inside her shirt and pulls out one of her breasts... :shock: :mrgreen: ...a silver chain necklace with a medallion on the end. It's a familiar symbol, but one that has not been worn openly, at least along the Sword Coast, in many years.
Harpers_symbol.jpg
Harpers_symbol.jpg (39.72 KiB) Viewed 607 times
It doesn't take a wise man to recognize the symbol of the Harpers. There is fire in Theryis' eyes and steel in her voice as she says, "Do you have any more questions for me or my loyalty to the realms? My friends, yes, they are friends in this fight, willingly chose to stay behind and help your friend. Funny, I don't see you running your ass back in there to see if he's okay! It sure as hell didn't take you long to leave him and flee the grove to save your own asses! So, don't stand there in judgment of me! We...seek to serve the greater good of all Neverwintans.
"Now...are you going to take the egg outside the city or are you going to wait here for the druids of the grove to take vengeance on you?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#220 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

In a loud dramatic stage whisper to Kelton, This is awkward!

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”