Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 5 > Neverwinter...In Search Of...

#181 Post by wordoftheoracle »

Looks like either direction ends in discovery!

Ioriston cautiously follows Kelton into what is most certainly a trap.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#182 Post by Jack »

Uilon follows the party, trying to position himself between them and the wolf and Gareth.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by hedgeknight »

The Black Grove...The Left Path

When Kelton makes the decision for the group, the great bear snorts, gives the wolf and Gareth a lingering glare, and then turns and shambles to the left path. Both Kelton's and Aslaan's words appear to have no affect on Gareth, or if they do, the druid does or says nothing in reply.

The group follows the left path as it winds deeper into the grove. As they walk, the forest seems to get darker and thicker in vegetation. There are still sounds of birds and bugs but there is nothing to see, the canopy above being so thick. Eventually, the path ends and the group comes to a halt, their hearts beating a little faster as they look around in stunned silence.

A grove of ancient twisted oaks greets the group at the end of the path. And in one of the ancient oaks (yes "in") is a lovely creature.
dryad 2.jpg
dryad 2.jpg (19.66 KiB) Viewed 823 times
She is blond and naked...except for some tendrils of tree sap and thin vines which curl around her breasts and between her legs. She smiles at you and says, "I have prayed for a new lover for moons, but...I never would have thought so many would answer my call."

Her voice is like a soft breeze, almost musical in nature. She twines her hair with one hand and looks at each of you brazenly, even the great bear. "The green tells me you have come for the dragon's egg. All this fuss for an egg. How boring. Would you like to meet the previous owner, the one who stole the dragon's egg? He is right over there."

She points toward a place on the ground near the base of two trees. What you see sends chills up your spines.
dryad's payment.jpeg
dryad's payment.jpeg (7.83 KiB) Viewed 823 times
She laughs and the sound is that of water burbling over rocks in a forest stream. "But you have come for the egg, yes? Well, here it is." She reaches inside the great oak and pulls for a shimmering oval egg.
dryad and egg.png
dryad and egg.png (193.59 KiB) Viewed 823 times
She stops gazing at the egg and turns to the group. "Now, which one of you wishes to come and get it? What about you, my sweet teddy bear?"
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#184 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

No lovin' for you here, honey. We are here to retrieve the egg and get back- that's it. I am confounded on why everyone in this grove is so keen on wasting our time when all we are trying to do is preserve the nature in Thundertree and prevent it from being settled again. Why are all of you so keen to help spread the human settlements? I don't advocate attacking anyone but peacefully maintaining the balance? That sounds like a great idea to me. This is the most anti-nature nature grove I have ever seen. I'm ready to get out of here. So will you give us the egg and let us leave or must there be more delays and games while you promote the spread of human settlements?

Needless to say, Aslaan's patience is growing thin regarding the highly hypocritical and gamey greens.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#185 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton smiles when the dryad prompts the transformed Uilon to come closer, wondering just what the massive creature could do to the frail wood nymph. He ignores her sweet, trapping words and heads over to the pile of bones instead.

He takes a closer look at what the poor bastard might have had on him, hoping to find something interesting or useful.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by hedgeknight »

coil23 wrote:Aslaan
No lovin' for you here, honey. We are here to retrieve the egg and get back- that's it. I am confounded on why everyone in this grove is so keen on wasting our time when all we are trying to do is preserve the nature in Thundertree and prevent it from being settled again. Why are all of you so keen to help spread the human settlements? I don't advocate attacking anyone but peacefully maintaining the balance? That sounds like a great idea to me. This is the most anti-nature nature grove I have ever seen. I'm ready to get out of here. So will you give us the egg and let us leave or must there be more delays and games while you promote the spread of human settlements?
"Wasting time can be so much fun," the dryad replies, looking curiously at the egg in her hands. "And I said you could have the egg. All you have to do is come and take it."
Grinning playfully at the druid/bear while trying to ignore the young (gay) warrior, the dryad turns her attention to Kelton. "Why do you want to play with dead bones...when you could play with me?"

Kelton:
Wisdom saving throw please
Last edited by hedgeknight on Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#187 Post by OGRE MAGE »

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#188 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

I'm sorry. I forgot my lore for a moment. Dryads care nothing for practical concerns or for the needs or cares of anyone but themselves. They are slaves to their own petty whims- like forever being in thrall of a narcissistic soporific. Thank you for the reminder. I see variety here at least. Of all those here in the grove who claim to serve nature we have some who don the attitudes and methods of what they claim to despise, not realizing or caring that that ultimately (and practically right here and now) betrays that which they claim to hold dear and protect. And then we have you, dear, who evidently would allow the whole forest to burn down around you, while you pleasantly daydream about the one lovely tree of your own. Pelor above! The only servant of nature so far who is clear and congruent in method and intent is the dragon! 'We're all mad here', said the Cheshire Cat.

Aslaan shakes his head in disgust and waits for the others. He keeps his eyes out for any possible danger and also on his male peers for any attraction to the dryad. His mother's teachings of the forest come back to him. As destructive as some people could be, he saw better balance and reverence for all things among his people as a child then from any of the zealots or daydreamers here.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#189 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton ignores the words of the tree tart and continues looking through the bones for anything interesting.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#190 Post by Jack »

Uilon walks up to the dryad who reminds him of his good friend Nahla from the Misty Forest, and he reaches for the egg.

"Grr roar, Mouff Ouoo. Maouf grrrawr growl grr Aarrargref roar pffbt roar KGGGHH, growl grr grr Ffft-roar ffft-roar. Grr grouff growl roar roar grr ffft-roar?"

If the dryad understand bears/animals, or can speak with animals, what Uilon said was
"Hello friend, I'm Uilon. I've came here to tell Haeredeth about what's happened in Thundertree, and ask her about what to do about Venomfang and her egg. What do you think would be best to do with it?"

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#191 Post by Jack »

Uilon listens to her speaking in animal, and then changes back into his human form, puts away his sprig of mistletoe, and puts down his shield while saying to Silene "I can't stay here, I have to find out if Haeredeth has really left the great circle and is now threatening the precarious balance by supporting Maegera."

He tries to take the egg from her to give to Aslaan.

wordoftheoracle
Ranger
Ranger

#192 Post by wordoftheoracle »

All this naturalism is a mystery to Ioriston and he would rather leave this up to the resident expert in all things verdigris. He observes and notes all the interactions just in case.
PC History:

Ioriston Erudleaf - Level Three Elven Wizard, Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)
Loche - Level Three Pict Thief, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by hedgeknight »

The dryad smiles when Uilon returns to human form. "I will take you to see Haeredeth, my love. Here, give the egg to your companions and tell them goodbye. Your destiny now lies with me."
The dryad hands Uilon the dragon's egg, stroking his hair and face, kissing him lightly on the lips.

Uilon:
You feel such love and affection for her. Maybe she's the one!
Winter is coming...

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#194 Post by Jack »

Uilon says to his travelling companions, "I have to go see if what they say about Haeredeth is true."

"Reidoth said Venomfang can't be trusted, so be very careful of her. When the problems in the Neverwinter woods have been dealt with, the Circle of Swords will take out both her and"
, pointing to the egg, "her wyrmling."

He picks up his shield, and smiles at Silene.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#195 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

Wait, we're splitting up? Is that wise?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#196 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton starts to look REALLY hard at the bones, in case there is something cool to find there. :D

He crunches up his face when he sees the druid let the dryad kiss him.

He replies to Aslaan.

"I don't think there is going to be much choice in the matter anymore."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#197 Post by coil23 »

Aslaan

So we just leave him to it? It sounds like it may not end well for him. I suppose falling under the Daydreamy Tree Whore's spell may be the one thing to save his life. If you're sure it's ok to leave him then ok, I guess.

Aslaan will gently accept the egg, wrapping it in something to protect it and putting it in his pack. He is not liking the idea of leaving a member of the party on their own in this environment. He stops a long moment and focuses on everything around him to see what he senses (the dryad, the grove around him, Uilon's reaction to the dryad and his behavior now).
perception check [1d20+3] = 4+3 = 7 :roll:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#198 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton watches the actions unfold around him carefully, also trying to figure out if there is anything fishy going on with the proceedings.

Perception Check [1d20+3] = 20+3 = 23 :shock:

He begins to understand the concerns of the fighter so he moves his hand to the hilt of Talon in case the druid decides not to accept the dryads demands.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by hedgeknight »

The Black Grove > Dark Dryad

"What the hell?" Gerland says, watching Uilon and the dryad smile at each other. "You mean, you're just going with this...this...wood witch? What if it's a trap?" Clearly the Lanthanderian priest does not like this decision.

Once Aslaan has the egg, he begins to take serious stock in what is really going on here. So does Kelton...and the noble warrior begins to see it all very clearly. :o

Kelton:
The vines and plants are moving toward your group...very slowly, almost without notice...almost.
Uilon looks to be oblivious to this, almost as if he's infatuated...or charmed?
The dead bones at your feet are riddled with worms and the corpse's skull has a large hole in the back of it. Among the bones is what looks to be a tiny figure of an owl carved of jade.
The dryad has one hand on Uilon, while her other hand clutches a thick cudgel of polished wood. There are marks carved into the wood...one looks quite fresh.
So...what are you guys doing? Leaving with the egg? Or something else?
Winter is coming...

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#200 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Kelton squats down and quickly snatches up a carved piece of jade lying in the pile of bones.

He shouts at the others as they await the druids fate.

They are coming men! Look at the vines and roots! This whole place seems to be coming after us!!!

He looks at Uilon to see if there is anything left of his own wits, or if he is truly content to stay here.

If the druid wants to stay and save the trees, the rest of us better high tail it outta here while we still can!

Return to “Hedge's Adventures in the Realms (5e)”