Expedition - Foxy\Bounty Hunting - 20 May 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Foxy\Bounty Hunting - 20 May 2021

#81 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:Yes, I wrote that 'offensive actions' dispel the illusion (like it dispels invisibility) and it is a once per expedition or week item presently. Didn't have time to amend the post. Was hoping I could zombie my way around the periphery but needs must with Foxy being grabbed. If he has done a defensive spell or action the mummery mask could still be enabled. One could argue that pouring a flask of oil to light it has the intention of offensive attack also.
Invisibility is of indefinite duration, lasting until offense is taken, and gives a -4 AC bonus by default. Your mask doesn't have combat benefit and only lasts one turn - there's no reason it needs the same restriction. You can take any action while under the illusion within the 10 minute window.

We're holding here for Stirling's action for next round. You cast magic missile, and can remain disguised at your option.
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

Yet again the self styled heroine finds herself surrounded by a mass of undead all clamming to get their flesh ridden hands upon her. Am I just too perky to resist or maybe should change the deodorant? she thinks. "Oh fxxk," she says.

I wonder of Foxy can repeat the same act without the dire consequences of course of the quartered zombie goblin. Looking up from the floor if Foxy can see more carcasses above hanging in the ceiling to age, she would like to grab a chain whatever and swing upward to the ceiling out of reach of the spring heeled zombies and hopefully exchange places with a couple of dropped beef or lamb chops.

saw Rocky movie, so I figure these ram sized bodies might pound them instead of me?

what roll do you require, are these grabbing zombies intelligent enough to get 'repulsed' by the Eruanna sigil on her forehead? Not turned like a cleric but a shock of 'urgh' might stay their action a round?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by Marullus »

As Foxy falls into the scrambling mass of zombies, Idriss releases a burst of magical energy. It impacts on the closest zombie, dislodging Foxy's dagger from its torpid flesh but not seeming to phase it as it mindlessly lurches towards her.

Foxy attempts a dramatic retreat by grabbing one of the chains. The winch releases, pulling her through the zombies and up into the air. Her retreat is almost flawless, except that the injured zombie latches onto her calf with its black-hearted teeth, fresh blood gushing from the wound. Foxy loses her grip, landing unconscious among the meat slabs across the room.

Rolls:
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Greenteeth

The hunched, wizened, mortified mage looks more mortified as Foxys' dashing heroics fumble at the last hurdle. Dire situations call for dire actions or at least we all get 'go down' entertaining.

Idriss casts his last spell.

A 'Floating Disc' appears underneath the back or stomach of Foxy, lifting her up 3 feet off the ground. It is the size of a three foot diameter shield and can bear up to 500lbs weight. Either Idriss will signal the disc to move to him if not close enough and grabbing an arm or leg of Foxy he will run across the cavern and towards the downward staircase of the goblin hideout, all the while shouting in a zombie type goblin voice, "Mine, mine, mine, the precious is mine."

If Idriss can get Foxy out of the immediate grasp of the zombies, leaving them to nibble on fresh lamb joints. Idriss will then strike a torch or untie the lantern and head out of the abattoir. My mistake I thought the stairs were closer. I think our only hope is to get a physical barrier between us and the zombies.

Idriss hopes to grab and pull Foxy quicker through the stairs blockage before the zombies set upon feasting on her. If he makes it through he will do another action, if not I think we are both doomed.

Sorry it seems several actions but as Foxy is out of it, I thought I would write up my thoughts and you can interrupt their flow if you need a roll or we don't make it.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Marullus »

Good creativity. :)

Holding the lantern with enchanted carrying platform in place, Idriss goblin rushes across the room andgets to Foxy first. Pulling her up onto the platform and squealing about the "precious," he flees the room with Foxy's body bobbing and weaving behind. Fresh, or at least less putrid, meat now on the floor and within reach, the zombies tear into the flayed sheep and giving you the window to escape.

You arrive at the top of the stairs in the next cavern, the zombies moaning and slurping in the distance. The stairs are partially blocked with burned timbers and the surrounding stone is scorched and ashen.

Rolls:
You have greater movement and always win initiative, plus they are not engaged with you. So that determines flee rules.

You can drop treasure (meat, in this case) and have a 50% chance of them following or stopping.

Zombies follow? [1d100] = 52
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Meatfeast

staying in character, Idriss feasts on the body of Foxy

Well we are still in trouble and Foxy needs a place to recover. Idriss will bind her wounds to stabilize her in some way, tearing bandage strips from his shirt to use to wrap around her injured leg unless she has some supplies in her handbag satchel. guess he'll have to be another man accused of searching through her personals'. Idriss will proceed down the stairs to the first blockage and check the security of the timbers and ceilings. Will it collapse if he goes through? How far down down does it go, any doors off? He has the disc carrying Foxy for an hour, so unless he can secure a place inside to rest we might have to negotiate passage through the rats and stalactites and out the front entrance.

They found a set of constructed stone stairs leading down into an under-layer of constructed rooms
notes from guard report
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Marullus »

(Thanks for your patience; had to wait until I could get on a desktop.)

Idriss moves down the stairs, the mask wearing off as he does so. Foxy floats behind him as he investigates the scene with the lantern, safely stabilized by Idriss' efforts. The stairs are solid stone, carved downward into the bedrock below. The efforts to burn and collapse the stairs have resulted in some flaking of the limestone and dangerous-looking cracks, but nothing has collapsed or fallen at this time. There is a healthy amount of ash, charred wood bits, and debris, however, making your footing slow and careful.

At the bottom of the stairs you find a 10' square landing platform. Straight ahead of you is a carved stone door rotating inward on hinges. It is closed, but has no apparent lock. A hallway extends 20' to the left, then makes a left turn out of sight.

Date: 22 May 2021, 11:15 am
Light: Idriss's lantern (until 2:30pm)
Injuries: Foxy (seriously injured)
Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Stirling »

Foxy remains a patient patient. Just don't, get us killed
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Are there any signs of footprints or traversing this passageway. Little rat or weasel claws are expected, recent humanoid prints in the dust are another.

Idriss will checkout the floor of the landing before stepping on it and does the carved door have a specific design, just geometric shapes or a face? (Thinking a face might shoot poison darts from the mouth kind of trap).

If all is quiet and no sound, Idriss will move to one side of door and push it open.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, when I said carved, I meant "fitted and shaped" door, rather than "engraved" door.

You check over the landing but it reveals nothing in the way of tracks. The stairs are a mess and the trash is trampled. The door before you is plain - well-fitted stone with a pull-handle but no locks or notable crevices. Finding no discernable traps, you stand to the side (just into the hallway to the left) and push the door open. The room beyond is dark, so you bring your lantern to the fore.

It is a 50' by 50' room and your door enters in the center of one wall. The far wall from you has another door on it in the far-left corner. The wall to your right also has a door in its furthest corner from you. Both of the other doors are made of simple wood and are without locks. Trash and scraps fill the room, small piles of detritus collected haphazardly over time. Some appear to be fashioned into small beds/nests along the walls. A round wooden table and eight chairs sit in the south-east corner of the room. Several rotten apples are scattered throughout the room, perhaps a half-bushel, fresh enough to be about a month old at most.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

With Foxy bandaged and floating as if levitating behind me, (that must look weird if I am being watched), Idriss will cross the room carefully to to the left hand far door. He will have to do the same, check, listen, open.

Wilbur can sniff through the piles, wary of rats and snakes or deadly weasel trapping apple cores.

What is his assessment of Foxys' situation? He has no healing power so wants to find a restful place to recover her health and his spells.

Are the chairs and beds human or goblin sized?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by Marullus »

The weasel sniffs curiously through the bedding as you inspect the door, carefully listening and looking for traps. The weasel returns with a silver coin clutched in its teeth, dropping it at your feet.

You push open the door cautiously, holding your lantern ahead you peer into the room. This room is also 50' by 50' square and mirrors the one you entered from as you are in the left-most corner of the new room as well. You see door on the left wall and another on the right wall, both adjacent to the wall you are entering through.

A dim red glow radiates from the far wall, faintly illuminating beyond your lantern-light. A horned demonic face hangs in the center of the far wall, fashioned of silver and with horns of untarnished gold. From its mouth pours a rivulet of blood, which runs into a channel in the floor. The channel makes a geometric shape, the blood filling each line to its lip but not overflowing: In the far-right corner, a purplish fungus sprawls across the walls and floor with large purple mushroom caps standing about 2' tall from the floor. As your lantern comes into view the mushrooms start emitting an ear-splitting shriek - it is near-deafening in the room and can assuredly be heard throughout the surrounding rooms.

Date: 22 May 2021, 11:45 am

Spearmint wrote:What is his assessment of Foxys' situation? He has no healing power so wants to find a restful place to recover her health and his spells.
Foxy is critically wounded (below 0 hp) and can't be moved without further injuring her. Every 10 minutes you move her does 1d2hp damage (I'm being lenient with that because there's not much "moving" here versus overland but you are re-stabilizing her every time you move rooms). He needs to pick a room, secure it, and then "camp." Foxy will get [1d3] hp back for every 24 hours of rest as you stay put. You'll get to re-memorize spells after eight hours. I'll tell you how much time passes before/between encounters.
Spearmint wrote:Are the chairs and beds human or goblin sized?
"small bed/nests" are indicative of goblins, kobolds, or something similarly sized.
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Immediately shutters the lantern to a smaller light radius do as to not alarm the shriekers. If the wailing continues he will leave the room. Your description indicates a door on the immediate left. Idriss will back out of the room he came in closing the door but not completely. He wants to keep it slightly ajar so he can see if anyone or anything exits through that door. If not, when the mushrooms calm, Idriss will enter there and hope he can secure that room.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Marullus »

You retreat back out of the doorway and after a few minutes the mushrooms quiet down. You wait, watching the door for 15-20 minutes, but nothing emerges through it.

Moving very slowly, you edge your door back open (it swings towards you), and inch by inch shift towards the adjacent door next to you on the left. The blood continues to pour from the mask on the wall and for a moment you'd have sworn it was looking at you. Then you push the handle and swing the next door open.

You find yourself in the left corner of a room, the room extending 30' to your right and 50' in front of you. A mural of a sea goddess covers the ceiling, A mouldy odor fills the north side of the room. A stone door is in the middle of the left wall. A wooden door is opposite your current position, in the left corner of the far wall, and a second wooden door is on the right wall at the farthest end from you. In the corner to your right are more of the purple-creeping fungus runners, which begin to scream once more. Once they begin, the ones in the room behind you begin shrieking as well.

Date: 22 May 2021, 12:15 am

Idriss Dex Check [1d20] = 16
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

dex check for me creeping about?

Can Idriss stand the noise? does it harm him in any way or it just makes an alarm call? If the not so funny funghi are not moving or stretching towards him or giving off poisonous spores, only making a noise, Idriss will bind his mouth using a handkerchief and stick some candle wax deep in his ears. Check out the left hand door, moving slowly and sheltering the light as much as I can. "A room, a safe room, Eruanna look after your dedicated follower and this child Foxy your noble possession."

Idriss gets religious and starts to pray. The sea goddess mural looks older than this goblin wrought face does it not? Is it in any particular pose, maybe Idriss recalls something about it, a Tritoness, Neptuness, Poseidonara?
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Marullus »

Idriss pauses to look more closely at the room. The sea goddess appears in an underwater scene, dark storm clouds and lightening muted above the water's surfaces. She has tentacled hair and the lower half of an octopus, her top half human and unclothed. She raises a golden trident, exultant. You notice that it isn't heaps of rubbish on the far end of the room, but three desiccated corpses, each on their knees, lying forward, arms extended towards the north wall in a kow tow position. Their papery-skin clings in patches to white bones, the bodies undisturbed for what must be a very, very long time.

The shrieking, however, is your current priority, and finding a safe place. You cover your mouth and plug your ears (1 round) then try to escape through the stone door on your left-hand side. The door is stuck - you make an attempt to dislodge it with a blow from your shoulder, but it does not yield. (1 round)
Force Door [1d6] = 4

Foxy floats on the disc behind you, her coma impervious even to the shrieking cacophony.

Date: 22 May 2021, 12:32 pm
Injuries: Foxy (mortally injured)

Spearmint wrote:dex check for me creeping about?
The check was for your success in inching slowly through your door to the door to the left without setting off the shriekers in the mask room; typically the roll effects are described in whatever narrative I have above.
Spearmint wrote:Can Idriss stand the noise? does it harm him in any way or it just makes an alarm call? If the not so funny funghi are not moving or stretching towards him or giving off poisonous spores, only making a noise,
They appear stationary and the noise causes you no harm. There isn't much chance that whatever is nearby didn't hear it, though...
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

well aware that the racket is enough to wake the dead, thankfully not those prone in worship so far.
A mouldy odor fills the north side of the room.
The mouldy odour that comes from the north side, is it just from the bodies in the corner or from spreading mold and funghi around the north left hand door also? Can Idriss see what they bowing before and are they for example all bowing in a circle as if worshiping an idol or just an ordered position bowing before the wall spread across the room?

Idriss is tempted to run by them and through the other door at the corner but is afraid they might animate to grab him or something is there waiting to lure him in as it might have done to these poor fellows. So he sends Wilbur to run by them and sniff out the door, if it can easily push open with his paws he will do so or sneak under a rat hole in the frame. Idriss will return to the first room and check out he door to the right hand side, listening at the frame and bending down to see if any lights are shining withoin or breeze comes through, footsteps hurriedly approaching etc.

It is a 50' by 50' room and your door enters in the center of one wall. The far wall from you has another door on it in the far-left corner. The wall to your right also has a door in its furthest corner from you
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by Marullus »

There is no discernible odor from the bodies. They are arrayed in front of the wall, which is covered by the mural. The mouldy odor is incongruous - it has a scent of salt and wetness that doesn't fit with the locale.

We're in round-by-round action at the moment while those mushrooms are screaming. So we need to break your actions out and resolve what you do with each, one at a time. I'm going to resolve your first action, then tell me your next.
So he sends Wilbur to run by them and sniff out the door, if it can easily push open with his paws he will do so or sneak under a rat hole in the frame.
The door is made of simple wood without a lock, but it appears swollen and water-damaged and is stuck in its frame. Wilbur is able to squeeze under it and he disappears to the other side.

Date: 22 May 2021, 12:33 pm
Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

I estimate it a heavy stuck door will budge less under my lean frame, so whistling to Wilbur I will go through the door on the right hand side of the first room I came into. At least to stop the shriekers wailing their call to whoever. Check that door out, look under frame for lights, listen for sound, be safe.

I will make a decision to either stay or try and exit the cavern depending on this room and if it offers a better sanctuary.
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Marullus »

You whistle for Wilbur to return, pausing to see him slide under the door once more. Thud! the door in the far corner of the right-hand wall shudders. Each beat of your heart seems an eternity.

Wilbur appears under the door, scurrying across the floor towards you. Crash! the door on the right bursts open. Four creatures fall into the room, crawling over each other and crowding the doorway to all enter simultaneously. They are bipedal and humanoid, standing about five feet tall. Their skin is a sallow grey-yellow and the top of their head is sliced cleanly off, revealing a hollow cavity. They sniff with their half-nose, then each roars a wordless noise of rage.
You push Foxy back through the door behind you with your mind as Wilbur gains speed, running in sheer terror ahead of you. You slam the door behind you, then pass through the room with the mask and blood-trough with a single step, slamming that door as well. The mushrooms increase their cacophony, loud enough to wake the dead, or in this case, worse.

You hear the rage-cries of the beasts in pursuit as you run to the third door, the one that was on your right when you passed through the room with the goblin nests and apples. Thankfully it is both unlocked and not stuck. You pull the wooden door open, Foxy floating through, and slam the door shut behind you. The creatures had not yet entered the chamber as you did so.

You find yourself in a long hallway. It ends here, at your door, with a wall on your right and extends beyond your lamplight, a straight shot into darkness ahead to your left. Another wooden door is on the same wall you entered from, the two doors 10' apart. From its placement, it must be the third door to the mask room and blood trough, which you had not yet opened.

Date: 22 May 2021, 12:35 pm

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”