Expedition - Blackjack/Troll Lair - 20 May 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Blackjack/Troll Lair - 20 May 2021

#121 Post by Marullus »

End of adventure morale checks: Achaedany [2d6] = 5 Alcide [2d6] = 7
Amistad's retainer morale is 7. Both passed.

It appears that shares of gold and gems heal many wounds, at least metaphorically. Alcide and Achaedany both are pleased to hear of the good haul they made and the share they will likewise receive. "Don't forget that song you promised, Amistad," Alcide grins. "I want all those Feckers in the tavern to know I'm a troll fighter now." (Promise was for 100gp song tribute for Alcide - you can write it if you wish. :) Otherwise, we'll paraphrase.)

New Recruiting Roll: Achaedany [2d6] = 9 Alcide [2d6] = 4
You pitch that they should remain on for their next stint. Alcide readily agrees. "Coulda hauled logs my whole life and not had this much coin. Of course, I never would've known what it was like to almost be eaten by a troll, neither, but hey."
Achaedany is a bit more reticent. She seems more satisfied with the coin in-hand. "You all are reckless, and I intend to spend this haul. You offering a full share again? What else?" she asks brusquely.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#122 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I don't have a Detect Magic spell. That would be a good one to get.

I think we should try and divide the gems and jewelry up as items with value if possible. Then people can decide if they want to sell their item outright or sell it on consignment for more.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#123 Post by Alethan »

OOC: This is about the most fair division I can come up with. PCs get either Share One or Share Two, NPCs get Share Three or Share Four.

Share One:
Silver Drinking Horn (1000gp)
Prayer Beads (500gp)
Total: 1500gp value

Share Two:
Silver/Gold Wand (1400gp)
Zircon (75gp)
Obsidian (25gp)
Total: 1500gp value

Share Three:
Tiara (1300gp)
Lapis Lazuli (75gp)
Turquoise (75gp)
Brass Sextant (40gp)
Total: 1490gp value

Share Four:
Platinum Amulet (1200gp)
Agate (75gp)
Azurite (50gp)
Quartz (50gp)
Bronze Clasp (30gp)
Copper Neck Ring (30gp)
Tiger Eye (25gp)
Obsidian (10)
Malachite (10)
Malachite (10)
Total: 1490gp value

OOC: Let me know which one you want, Spearmint, and I'll take the other one of the 1500gp share; Marullus can decide which NPC gets which of the two remaining.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#124 Post by Alethan »

Earc Orctongue

Earc sorts the items all out into an appropriate organization according to value.

He selects the share with the wand and the Zircon and Obsidian stones.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Spearmint »

sorry for delay, hope to update Amistad tonight, Wednesday

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Spearmint »

Thank you for organising the trove. I think though we are missing a couple of points, hope it doesn't raise issues with the retainers.

Firstly I think we should cash the gems in for the circa 400gp. Out if our own pocket we are subsidising the trips and I think ' party supplies' should be funded before we divvy the treasure up. That gp amount will get us a potion of water breathing each.

I think we should all benefit from a tavern knees up not just Alcide so the song and accumulated xp goes to each. Alcide is still immortalised in song and can still be the toast of the rangers.

Earc take the wand

Alcide take the lucky amulet

Achaedany take the tiara

Amistad take the horn

Cash in the rest of the items and share the money. Offer price is about 550 gp . 110 gp spent on tavern party and song, if we can also purchase a 'masterwork' set of thieves tools for lock picking and trap find/remove/ create for 40 gp as party gear, then we all share 100gp each.

Amistad is willing to take that, proportionally he gets less but we fund the potions so we can all go again

"Reckless we may be, some would say fearless. As Alcide notes, he can lug logs for a couple of gold a day or come with us and get two years salary for half a day's work. But now our jolly trips are going to get more serious and expect the demands on us to be greater.

If folk don't want to go with that and we split as Earc suggested, I shall expect each person to fund their own potions.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:Firstly I think we should cash the gems in for the circa 400gp.
The offer price for all gems is 384gp.
[3d6] = 15 CHA check for Amistad re: gems
You try to haggle, but the Usurer is not amused. The price stands.
Gems, however, are easy to use as currency. Might be worth spending them directly rather than taking the 20% cut to turn them into (heavier) coins.
Spearmint wrote:Out if our own pocket we are subsidising the trips and I think ' party supplies' should be funded before we divvy the treasure up. That gp amount will get us a potion of water breathing each.
The NPCs will consent for those supplies purchased for and used during this expedition. You need to be specific in what those were.
Spearmint wrote:I think we should all benefit from a tavern knees up not just Alcide so the song and accumulated xp goes to each. Alcide is still immortalised in song and can still be the toast of the rangers.
It is usually a worthy investment to pay 100gp for the Expedition Tribute, which gets everyone XP.
Your promise, however, was a special song for Alcide, which is what motivated him to stay on with your expedition. (100gp tribute is basic.) If you back out on your promise, he'll not adventure with you again.

Spearmint wrote:Earc take the wand
Alcide take the lucky amulet
Achaedany take the tiara
Amistad take the horn
You have four big items; the NPCs will agree to that.
Spearmint wrote:Cash in the rest of the items and share the money. Offer price is about 550 gp . 110 gp spent on tavern party and song, if we can also purchase a 'masterwork' set of thieves tools for lock picking and trap find/remove/ create for 40 gp as party gear, then we all share 100gp each.
Thieves tools are 30gp. A 'masterwork' set is double, or 60gp.
Giving masterwork tools to Achaedany as a gift is enough of a "sweetener" to get you the +1 bonus you need to convince her to come along on the next quest.

Spearmint wrote:"Reckless we may be, some would say fearless. As Alcide notes, he can lug logs for a couple of gold a day or come with us and get two years salary for half a day's work. But now our jolly trips are going to get more serious and expect the demands on us to be greater.
Money talks, bullshit walks. :) Achaedany needs a gift/monetary incentive of some kind to get you the +1 bonus (such as masterwork tools, above).

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by Spearmint »

Supplies replaced are two potions, 200gp

Amistad will consent to the 100gp Alcide River Ranger and give the 60gp masterwork tools to Achaedany, I had offered that earlier at the ford.

Divide the rest. Amistad needs to heal up a little but will be ready to go in a few days.

If we paid the forge to do some overtime, could they craft the harpoons a bit quicker than a week?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Marullus »

So "reimbursement" is in the form of gemstones that Amistad/Earc take off the top. Specify which stones you keep and add them to your character sheet inventories.

You pay the Bard 100gp for Expedition Tribute (whichever one of you writes up the tale of the Trolls gets 100xp, the others get 50xp) and 100gp for a tribute to Alcide (if you don't want to write a song, a plaque or mounting in the tavern is also good for him). You commission the 60gp masterwork tools and Achaedany signs on for the next expedition. That's 260gp total - you can use the full-value of an object d'art or gemstones to pay for that. Please specify which items are given for it.

If each of you gets one "big item" and then fair portion of remaining gems/coins, the NPCs are satisfied.

By harpoons you mean your underwater crossbow? A week is already the most he can rush on that as it is a masterwork that he can't delegate.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#130 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I'm lost with all the changes; aside from the wand, I have absolutely no idea how much coin/gems Earc is getting. So just tell me what he gets and I'll update my sheet.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Marullus »

Okay, here's a suggestion to help.
  • You split up the four big items as suggested.
  • You take 200gp in gems for Earc and Alcide to pay for the potion. deep blue lapis lazuli (75 GP), blue-green turquoise (75 GP), blue azurite (50 GP), plus someone keeps the last dose (for 50gp).
  • Use the prayer beads to pay the Bard. This covers 200gp with a 500gp value. You can use the other 300gp for other tributes, dividing among you.
  • Pay for the 60gp for the masterwork thieves tools with the hard to sell items: a bronze clasp (30gp), a copper neck ring (30gp)
  • Divide into four portions (~80gp each): a well-used brass sextant (40gp), chipped black obsidian (10 GP), dull striated green malachite (10 GP), chipped striated green malachite (10 GP), small golden brown tiger eye (25 GP), dull black obsidian (25 GP), gray smoky quartz (50 GP), dazzling banded agate (75 GP), blue zircon (75 GP)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay didn't cash anything out last time he came back to town. Instead, he used the true object/gem values and was able to buy chain mail, restock his supplies and get ~70gp worth of food-stuffs (and a healing man) taken to the Farrow's farm. While he is nearly penniless, he is still walking around with a couple gemstones that could keep him comfortable in town for a few weeks.

If he had cashed out the gems/jewelry, he would still be walking around in a hand-me-down, over-sized, leather overcoat taken from a dead man. So don't cash out those gems unless you absolutely need actual coins.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#133 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Pretty sure there are still two doses of the potion left (Amistad used one to find the cave; Earc used one to get down to it; Amistad's ran out before he headed back up and he suffered -2hp damage). But otherwise the above sounds fine to me.

I'll work on a write-up for the troll encounter if you want to work on something for Alcide, Spearmint.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#134 Post by Alethan »

The remaining division:

Option 1:
Blue Zircon (75gp)
Chipped Obsidian (10gp)

Option 2:
Banded Agate (75gp)
Dull Green Malachite (10gp)

Option 3:
Smokey Quartz (50gp)
Dull Obsidian (25gp)

Option 4:
Sextant (40gp)
Tiger Eye (25gp)
Chipped Malachite (10gp)

Earc will take Option 3.

OOC: Inventory Updated. Unfortunately, Earc doesn't have enough left after all of the bribing and purchases to pick up any of the new spells, unless he does something with the wand. Will have to think on that...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad will take option 4, keeping the sextant for future up river expeditions.

Alcide and Achaedany can have 1 & 2.

I will pen a tribute song over the weekend.

What does Earc need to get some new spells?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#136 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote:Amistad will take option 4, keeping the sextant for future up river expeditions.

Alcide and Achaedany can have 1 & 2.

I will pen a tribute song over the weekend.

What does Earc need to get some new spells?
OOC: 200gp. I think I'm going to see if I can get a good trade on some goods (Assayer's Lens and the potion of treasure finding?) plus some coin or another objet d'art for it at the merchant caravan and then use the coin to get access to the spells.

Don't want to borrow the coin. Earc prefers to be self-sufficient when possible. Part of his upbringing.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Marullus »

Final Division of Treasure:
Traded to merchant to get masterwork thieves tools (given to Achaedany):
a bronze clasp (30gp) (Purchase offer: 15gp)
a copper neck ring (30gp) (Purchase offer: 15gp)

Traded to the Bard:
a string of prayer beads carved from minotaur horn, with the inscription “Despair Comes From Treasure, Not From Pain” written in dwarven upon them. A bronze fob bears a sigil of a closed fist. (500gp)
+100xp for Alcide (personal tribute)
+100xp for Earc (writing group tribute)
+50xp for Amistad, Alcide, Achaedany (group tribute)
+300xp to be divided between party members with appropriate description of how Personal Tribute is done with it

Alcide:
Blue Zircon (75gp)
Chipped Obsidian (10gp)
a platinum amulet, decorated with folk symbols said to bring the owner good luck. It is set with three small diamonds. (1200gp)

Achaedany:
Banded Agate (75gp)
Dull Green Malachite (10gp)
a gold tiara set with 12 polished, round moonstones, sized for a small human child. (1300gp)

Amistad:
(Keeps the potion of water breathing that remains)
blue-green turquoise (75 GP) (repayment for potion)
a well-used silver drinking horn, with engravings of holly leaves and an angel in a defiant stance, set with 6 polished, iridescent opals. (1000gp)
a well-used brass sextant (40gp)
Tiger Eye (25gp)
Chipped Malachite (10gp)

Earc:
a silver and gold wand with the inscription “Hound of Power” written in Common and set with 6 Sapphires round its top end. (1400gp)
deep blue lapis lazuli (75 GP) (repayment for potion)
blue azurite (50 GP) (repayment for potion)
Smokey Quartz (50gp)
Dull Obsidian (25gp)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad fine with that, character sheet updated.

When shall we be able to leave town, ready for another go at the troll lair.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#139 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Ahhhh... I'm clear on it all now. Sorry for the confusion. Earc can try to trade some of his gems to learn the new spells. Then he can memorize them in the morning and he's ready to head out.

I'll work on writeup of Troll expedition this evening after a meeting at my son's school.

Earc pockets his items (inventory updated) and mentions that he is headed to the Infirmary of Eruanna to meet with Brother Mylo.

"I should be ready to head out tomorrow..."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

We have enough food provisions. I am wondering this time if we should take a few extra practical supplies so we can explore further, after the troll lair, maybe down a shaft we found.

Once he gets his logging business up and running, Amistad wants to do a larger upstream exploration in a big canoe. So must get some gp to finance it.

Earc can you do a detect magic or identify on any of these items we picked up, a lucky amulet +5 or a wand if hellhound summoning would be awesome.

Amistad will get Alcide to research all about River Trolls during his day in town. Can Al and Ach improve their AC and buy a potion of water breathing each before we set off. He will check in on the Morlock linguist and put an additional on the town board recruiting few lumberjacks who can start felling for Amistad after the next town festival.

how does Amistad go about getting the first claim or the rights to fell trees in the good pinewood we found. Any special deeds needed from the Duke?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”