The Briarstone Tavern

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Briarstone Tavern

#41 Post by Zhym »

"Don't be mad at Varas," Lug tells Bertram. "He did it trying to save my life. Others too, I bet."

His glance shifts between Orrin and Bertram. "About the rescue. Uh, can we go talk in private?"

Then Largo enters.

"Guess that'll have to wait," says Lug. He stands—hands clearly away from any weapons, not that he probably needs any weapons with the halfling guard—and looks down at Largo. "I'm coming with him," he says as if it is an established and well-recognized fact.

He hands his pack and bedroll to Orrin. "Watch my stuff, would you?"

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Keehnelf »

Largo isn't sure what to make of Lug's interference. "Uhh--" he begins. "The Regent has asked to speak with Mr. Varkain privately. You can come to the Keep, and I'll let him know that you want to be involved, but I can't authorize...uhh...you know. You coming inside." He frowns at Lug, more in thought than in bother, then motions for Varas to come.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Zhym »

"What Varas did, he did to help me," says Lug. "You'll, uh, want me as a witness! Yeah! Anyway, I'm coming."

Lug follows the short hobbit and tall thief out of the tavern.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Keehnelf »

I'll wait for AleBelly to chime in on this before we move that track forward. Sorry for the interruption!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by AleBelly »

Varas drains the remainder of his ale, disappointed that he wasn't able to get to the wine just yet. He watches the exchange between Lug and Largo.

"Thanks, Lug, but it seems the regent just wishes to talk. Damned low WIS score! I won't ask you to not accompany me, but do not feel obliged. Well, maybe feel obliged if I don't return by nightfall" he smiles.

Varas slides off the stool - his feet were only an inch or so from the ground anyway, and follows the halfling out the door.

Edited for clarity in dialog -
Last edited by AleBelly on Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

Lug nods at Varas's request and follows anyway.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Keehnelf »

The trio depart, heading diagonally across the square to the main entrance of the Wooden Keep.

Spartakos
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by Spartakos »

Rhodri's eyes go back to Niles, considerably flintier, after the young Mage speaks.

"My curse generally brings misfortune on me, not my companions...open your ears next time. And any man who risks his life without something being in it for him is a fool or a liar. And I've said all I mean to on the subject of Fangir."

He walks off without a backward glance.

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by KingOfCowards »

Marullus wrote: He nods as Bertram whispers, responding in equally low tones.
"Trustworthy? More honest than even the stars. He lacks the wisdom to understand guile, let alone attempt it. His quest showed his deep loyalty to his friends, even at the expense of himself... commendable. However, we couldn't discern if he was beguiled magically or simply by poor judgement when we encountered a now-slain enchanter. Like a strong-willed child, he benefits from firm parenting." He smiles.
Bertram stands up from the table. Not fully grasping what just took place, but he looks into Niles' eyes. "Remember what you told me about Lug? I think you and Varas may have both underestimated his capacity for guile..."
He heads out the door, his hopes for a search party dashed for the moment.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zhym »

Some time after he left with Largo and Varas, Lug lumbers back into the tavern.

"They wouldn't let me in," he says. "Got tired of waiting around for no reason."

"Where'd Bertram go?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Actually—who is still here? Bertram left (with no known destination), Nihilius was seen entering the keep in the company of Sir Galen, Rhodri left, Kennit is at the Assessor's—is Orrin still there?

Maybe Lug's line should be changed to "Where'd everybody go?" :D

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by AleBelly »

Varas enters. His hood eclipses much of his face, allowing only a glimpse of his set jaw and a thin, drawn frown. "Well, they're stringing me up tomorrow" he says loudly to Grisela. "Might as well have a few drinks..."

He stands at the bar a bit. "I'll have the wine."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zhym »

"Wait, what?" says Lug, gobsmacked. "Without a trial? Without a chance for people to speak up on your behalf? That's not fair!"

It doesn't even occur to Lug to question why the Regent would let a condemned man walk free.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by AleBelly »

Varas throws off his hood and grins. "Just having a laugh." His grin grows even broader. "Going crazy with boredom. I need to go back out there..."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Zhym »

"Don't DO that!" protests Lug. "It's not nice!"

"Glad you ain't gonna get killed, though. What'd he want to see you for, anyway?"

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by AleBelly »

"Well, he threatened to hang me. Wanted to hear my side of the story. So I told it. Then he said I could go." Varas sips from his wine. "Even told me I did a good job. Guess he's not totally unreasonable. Seemed less than thrilled about being here, though. Can't say I blame 'im either."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Zhym »

"Wonder why he couldn't have just left," says Lug. "Oh well. That's not my problem."

"You didn't see Bertram on your way in, did you? I wanted to talk to him about his rescue mission but he was gone when I got back. Heck, other than Orrin over there, the whole place was just about empty. I guess there was no reason to hang around here after I'd left, huh?" Lug grins.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#58 Post by Scott308 »

Dorvar Thduum

Dorvar walks into the bar and stops dead in his tracks when he sees Varas and Lug together. The dwarf's hand begins to reach for his axe, until he realizes Lug is not trying to kill the lanky human. Hmm. Hello, he says as he approaches with a puzzled look on his face. Lug. Varas. What's going on, guys?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by AleBelly »

"Dorvar! Good to lay eyes on you again. You look well. Itching to head back out?"

He tips his head towards Lug. "We were right about him. Numen enchanted him. Say, that reminds me. What exactly did Numen want you to do, Lug?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

"The little fugger never even told me!" replies Lug. "Just said we were gonna go on some 'special mission to the east.' Said we'd go between the fighting in Vaul to the south and the forest fires to the north to 'cut off the evil at its source,' whatever that meant."

Return to “Settlement - Vaul”