All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Re: All aboard: Captain Lazarus.

#81 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard counts out the coins and gives the woman a confused look. He decides that taking a loss on them would be better than offending this new powerful shaman friend of his.

Ok, 15 it is then?

I was hoping that you might be better geared towards their magic. I hope that we can be friends now. It would seem that you already know of their worth but, if you would like me to identify them magically, please don't hesitate to ask.

Now.......do you know who and where this Cravat is?

If the strange woman has nothing more to say, the wizard excuses himself to go look for the crows nest, making sure he has his charcoal pencil and some blank parchment with him.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#82 Post by Spearmint »

The few sailors gather round Zoggrot, shaking their heads."Infravision doesn't distinguish between copper and gold, all just bits of metal, sawdust and gold dust or gunpowder, all just a fine grain. So Spoonie took a candle down with him to help him see."

"Wouldn't have helped him wiv gun powder mind customer he'd have just gone 'flash, bang, wallop'. No more Spoonie." says a grumpy privateer from his hammock.

Ignoring him the men press around Zoggrot, "Well, Spoonie was convinced in amongst all the ballast rocks, gold dust was leaking through the floorboards, customer right underneath the prow end and that's where a lot of the 'goodies' got stored. So after a time or too of battle some bags got blown up and away but whatever goes up must come down and Spoonie reckoned the gold dust eventually leaked through the boards. He set up little tin pot mugs to catch the dust and he had enough that after shore furlough, came back with a couple of coins said he got them pressed from dust gathered and smelted from the ballast. He went down again after, had a few more cups placed so he could collect. Went down but never came back. Maybe you could wriggle across the ballast, you keep any mugs of gold dust, we share the coins for letting you in on Spoonies' secret."

"Infravision don't help with spooks though, undead don't give off heat...just a rotten smell. Better take that if you wanna go." chimes in Grumpy, pushing a small saucer with his foot. The saucer contains a half burned candle. (If Zoggrot wants to go through the hatchway into the bilge let me know)

Iggway takes four candles from Siggard you bought 8, two sets of four. You could cast an Identify spell if you have one. Perhaps prayer, meditation and a little experimental study works the same way?trading coins, she promised to study them and let Siggard know how they work. pm to Iggway detailing how the study and research works.

She then replaces the snake fangs back in her mouth and returns go her devotional practices. Siggard looks visibly relived to find normal person not some vampiric creature on board, even if her traditions seem a little less civilised. Siggard, half native himself, possibly most accustomed to such rituals.

Iggway doesn't know who Cravat is but after asking about some sailors confirm he pulled watch duty in the crows' nest, high up on the main mast.

Geoffreyand Holden try to make acquaintances with other crew. The crew on deck and hard at work just answer back in short sharp greetings. "Hello! Matey! Good on yer! Clear off!"

The officer on the quarter deck signals the pair and Rexlin over."So you all want to be useful eh? Keenness we like. Go with Plight over there and help him release the rafts he is stringing out into the water."

An old grizzled sailor in tartan bandana and clutching a crossbow is trying to lift a trip of small wooden platforms over the deck. The wood seems to have some small vegetable crates tacked to them and filled with oil soaked rags. Lowered over the side, the little rafts begin to float away from the ship.

Pocc and Szmodics rest, sleeping in their bunks. Pocc you can rise early to study for your druidic spell selection for the day, still a little seasick but it keeps your mind on things.

Next actions or conversations your character does please.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey muses as he works,

I heard a couple sailors mentioning a tactic during an escape they made one night, whereas they lit a dinghy with torches, and let it sail off while they shut their lanterns and turned away. Maybe that is what we are preparing.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by Stirling »

Szmodics

If this other crew member 'Shifty' is the pirate I spied giving a rogue guild cant sign in the tavern, Szmodics will make a point when he wakes to shake hands with the other crew (if he has not done so already) and give 'guild' handshake to the guy. I want to see his reaction. He might be a good contact for 'under the counter' goods or a fence to trade with.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre

Shrugs at his crew mates speculations as he helps heave the last raft over the side, grabbing the rope to help lower it safely to the ground. "Plenty of trick like that. Problem is that people are wisening up to them now. Last time I was at sea I saw the sister ship we were sailing with pull the same trick. After the gunship spent two hours wasting cannon, they started aiming higher. another hour later and they made their mark right on the waterline of the ships aft." Shook his head. "Made us plum sick to leave them there like that, watching the sloop sink and all, our friends screaming, but we were next. It was either keep our lead and get away, or wait for the Iberians to riddle our hull out from under us. I'd have been an Iberian prison camp or the drink either way, and we were out of shot ourselves." His expression seems to sour even more. "Sometimes fighting for a good cause just ain't worth the cost. But what else can a man do these days but keep on fighting."

Once the last raft is safely afloat, Rexlin looks at Geoffery. "You look a little young for this lot. What got you to throw your bones with an outfit like this? And don't gimmie that "looking for adventure" crap either, or I may throw you this rail."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by onlyme »

Bluehose wrote:Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre

Once the last raft is safely afloat, Rexlin looks at Geoffery. "You look a little young for this lot. What got you to throw your bones with an outfit like this? And don't gimmie that "looking for adventure" crap either, or I may throw you this rail."
Geoffrey figures the man would do it, too. So he answers somewhat truthfully.
I was told I can sail the seven seas
that I could put my mind at ease
I could be bold and make a stand
I came to lend a hand
To protect the motherland
To join my fellow man
To be bold and make a stand

...oh I said that part already, huh?
has he starts to whistle a tune from his recent youth.
He continues, after seeing them skeptical...
Well. I was um, pressed you might say. One day I was a fletcher's apprentice, and the next day I was on a boat 'gainst my will That boat was the Honourous Pirates overtook us, it being by itself and expended of iron. They killed most of the crew, and captain of course. Me, and a few other young sailors, they offered a choice to join. And well, umm, I eventually ended up here.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#87 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard finds an out of the way place (the head?) to break his first rule on the ship. He casts a spell upon himself that makes him nearly impervious to falling to his death in the rigging. Spider Climb

He hurries back out to the deck and begins quickly climbing up the main mast to the crows nest, hoping to find this deaf mute named Cravat.

He tries not to make it too obvious that he is endowed magically lest he be found out and flogged.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#88 Post by Spearmint »

Siggard

Siggard is able to climb the rigging unnoticed with commensurate ease, nimble scaling the ropes and sails like, well a spider moving through a web. You follow the mast straight up, noticing a series of tied flags. High up on the mast you can see the a mass of starry sky and an occasional sea level twinkle which you may presume to be a convoy of other merchant vessels, seeking trade in nearby St Martin to the east or St Kitts and Nevis a few miles due south. The wind is stronger up here, flapping briskly in the sails. The ship has two masts and then an extended boom jib which swings about over the prow of the ship carrying a set of 'leg of mutton' shaped sails. They are in full bellow and you can think the sloop, even listing a little as she rides the waves drawing a long S design in the sea behind her, is making a good amount of knots; perhaps 15-20 nautical miles in an hour.

The Crows nest is a simple affair, a small waist high basket of wood with a metal frame, a cut away hole giving entrance in and out. Standing in it and secure tied to the mast by a belted buckle is a small bearded man. He seems surprised you enter but doesn't look too alarmed. He gives you a thumbs up signal and pulls you in. He makes a sign like 'got any drink?'.

Norjax
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Norjax »

Pocc Vorche, Druid

After his embarrassing bout, Pocc goes topside and looks at the sky to see if a Predict Weather spell is necessary.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#90 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin "Devil's Scowl" Dupre
onlyme wrote:I was told I can sail the seven seas
that I could put my mind at ease
I could be bold and make a stand
I came to lend a hand
To protect the motherland
To join my fellow man
To be bold and make a stand
Rexlin looks at him hard and unflinching while he sings and whistles the diddy and then nods. "Well, boy that's a good tale. I suppose you will stay dry tonight after all." Looking about to see if there is anything readily available to do and giving a glance to the Deck Officer as he speaks to Geoffery.

"Ever here this one?

Shiver My Timbers, shiver My Soul
Yo Ho He Ho
There are men whos hearts as black as coal
And they sailed there ship across the ocean blue
A Blood thirsty captain and a cut throat crew.
Its a darker tale as was ever told
Of a lust for treasure and a love of gold...
Shiver My Timbers, Shiver my sides
Yo ho he ho
There are hungers as strong as the winds and tides
Yo ho he ho
And those bucaneers drowned there sins in rum,
The devil himself would have to call em scum!
Every man on board would have killed his mate for a bag of
ginnys or a piece of eight, a piece of eight, a piece of eight
5 6 7 8
HULA WOKA HULA WOKA SOMETHING NOT RIGHT
MANY WICKY ICKY THINGS GONNA HAPPEN TONIGHT
HULA WOKA HULA WOKA SAILOR MAN BEWARE
When the money in the ground theres murder in the air,
Murder in the air.
ONE MORE TIME NOW
Shiver my timbers, Shiver my bones
Yo ho he ho
There are secrets that sleep with old davey jones
Yo ho he ho
When the main sails set and the course is weighd
Theres no turning back from any course thats laid
And when greed and felony sail the sea,
you can bet your boots there'll be treachery HA HA HA
YAAAAAA YA YA YA AAAAAAAA YAAAAAAA
Shiver my timber, Shiver my sail
Dead men tell no tails!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltWirB6jKh0

He grins showing surprisingly good teeth under the thick whiskers, somehow the happy expression looking scarier than his usual resting scowl.

OOC: Rexlin will genuinely look for work but if he can visit while working or in between jobs, he will."

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#91 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden listens intently to the two intently with great interest, his eyes widening with each segment of Rexlin's story as he does his task diligintally. He laughs at his remark towards looking for adventure being a lousy goal.

Once Rexlin started singing, Holden took out his concertina and started playing along with him even though he never heard of this song before, he simply picked up the rythem after the first verse. Holden pats him on the back after finishing "That was a great tale! You have great talent!.

He then looks for work, trying to be as helpful to the crew as possible.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#92 Post by onlyme »

Geoffrey smiles at the song...

Ahh, I remember mupping decks to that one. He continues, as he welcomes the others into the conversation.

Name's Geoffrey, by the way... Geoffrey Blood to be official and all.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#93 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Siggard smiles widely at the deaf sailor. He holds up one finger as if to say hold on a second. He reaches behind his back to release the flap on his small pack. A tiny monkey jumps out and begins swinging around in the ropes and rigging. Siggard studies the face of Cravat to see how he feels about having a little company up here while he watches.

He holds up one finger to his lips as if to say shhhhh don't tell anybody about this. My tiny friend needs a bit of fun here and a little exercise as well. Just don't tell the Captain as I don't yet know if pets are allowed on board. I don't want to be the first one off the end of the plank here you know.

The mage pulls out his parchment and charcoal pencil. He writes a few things along the very top edge of the page, saving as much room as possible.

Hello sir, my name is Siggard. You must be Cravat? Can you read and write, friend?
I would be happy to retrieve a bit of drink for you if you don't mind a little company and a few questions while we watch. What say you?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Spearmint »

Holden the Bard is suitably impressed with Rexlins' pirate verse, he thinks he is going to have to work hard to entertain this crew. He takes his concertina and plays along, even old old grizzled Plight nods a bit stamping a wooden leg on the decks. The old sea dog strings out the little platforms onto the sea and watches them begin to drift off on the waves. Pocc joins the new hands on deck all trying to make themselves useful.

Up in the mast Siggardis greeted by little Cravat who gives him a welcoming hug. He rubs his fingers at the monkey, pulling out a sticky lollipop that he seems to have been sucking on. The monkey grasps it and scuttles off playfully swinging in the sails. Cravat looks at the note scribbled by Siggard, taking the pencil he writes a few notes back. It is in orcish and says course I kan bleedin' read and write, what u fink I am stupid or summat? and ends with a smiley drawn capuchin monkey face.

He hands the book back to you and continues to look over the horizons.

waiting for Zoggrot to decide if he wants to go to find Spoonie, then I'll post next actions

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#95 Post by Zhym »

Sorry. I thought it was clear Zoggrat had no intention of going off on a snipe hunt. :)

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by Bluehorse »

Rexlin

Claps Holden on the shoulder after he is done strumming. Goes to prove everyone likes music if you can find the right tune. Looking back to Geoffery he ask, "Geoffery Blood? Good name, you make it up? No, no! Never answer that... he wags his finger a bit. "Just leave that lay. If you do either can be a truth, if you claim one of the other then it's always a lie. Let em wonder. The troubadour here will tell you that's true." Not wanting to seem *too* friendly to the overly excitable bard, he turns over to Old Plight and gestures to the rafts. "So what are we trolling for tonight? Looking to get a halibut for morning stew?"

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#97 Post by Hotgoblin »

Iggway finishes her chanting to Yanauluha, removes the fangs carefully out of her mouth and places them back into the medicine bag. She picks up the candles that Siggard sold her...What magic has been enchanted within you? she begins meditating and studying the candles during this ordained period.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#98 Post by OGRE MAGE »

After reading the note, Siggard Laughs Out Loud for a moment, thrilled that the communication barrier has been easily breached. He flashes the universal thumb up sign and scribbles down some more words.

He stops almost immediately and looks into the mans eyes, trying something new. I was told that you cannot hear or speak. Is this true?

The mage also helps study the horizon, though he isn't really sure what he is actually looking for. He keeps an eye on Face as he swings through the rigging, hoping the little fella doesn't get frightened while looking out over the vast ocean.

He continues writing if it is necessary....
I sincerely appreciate your kindness good sir. It is nice to know that there are other learned folk aboard the ship. Perhaps we could help each other out on board? If you don't mind befriending the "new fish", that is.

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#99 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Holden nods, "Yes, never tell! I have always thought that names never really meant a thing until you are big that is, then a name might mean something. If hearing a name doesn't ensue horror or relief it's mostly because there is no mystery, 'Geoffery Blood, why is his last name blood?' rumors will spread and that's how legends are born", Holden starts writing down Rexlin's shanty down in a little book he possesses.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by Spearmint »

He stops almost immediately and looks into the mans eyes, trying something new. I was told that you cannot hear or speak. Is this true?
was that an effort at ESP or did you write that question down? I'll action the post as the latter

Siggardsees that Cravat appears normal, no injuries upon him but he does wear the tartan ribbon around his neck like a neckerchief. Cravat lifts it up to wipe his nose and as he does so, Siggard can spot around the mans neck a long thin scar that runs across his thorax and up around the back of the neck. It looks either like a deep friction burn or someone tried to strangle him. Cravat reads the note and sighs, taking the pencil to scribble in the notebook"God made me deaf, man made me mute, my woman made me mad, " he smile at his own joke and then scribbles another note, "got blessed with good eyes though and I've got the 'touch',"Cravat places the pencil behind Siggards right ear, shows him his hands and then claps his hands and moves his hand to Siggards' left ear retrieving the pencil. You are not sure if this was some kind of sleight of hand or a little cantrip, but you nod in appreciation. As you begin to write again, you note some action on the deck below and Cravat, who can whistle at least; blows a high pitched call which echoes to a drum beat further down in the hull of the boat.

Old Plighty strikes a match and light some tapered oil soaked lint tied to the end of a crossbow bolt. Aiming out into sea he fires the bolt to strike true into the crate of tar soaked rags. They react instantly and burst into flames. He fires twice more, but his aim is slightly off much to the chagrin of Mr Simonsen on the deck above. "C'mon you old man, you is crippled in yer legs not blind in your eyes, strike the things before they go away or you'll be swimming out to light them with a candle stuck up yer arse", he bellows and then signals to another crewman who rings a bell on the top of the deck. The bell sound is followed by a series of drum beats which echo throughout the ship and men begin to run around the specific stations. Plighty strikes true another bolt, hitting the next in line, he passes the crossbow to Geoffrey, "Here son, my eyes ain't wot they used to be, have a go for me."

Geoffrey can you roll a 3xd20 to hit for me, one at short range so no penalty, one at mid range -2 and one at long range -5 to hit.

Old Plighty taps the other three Pocc, Rexlin and Holden and points them to a nearby cannon. "You lot can load with me"he says hobbling to the cannon and opening up the firing chamber.

Below decks the noise as the drums beat inside the hull cause a moment of panic among sleeping men. Shouts and calls are raised as the alarm sounds andAll Hands beat to quarters is sounded. Smzodicsis tipped out of bed by a sailor who tells him to follow. Across the hull Zoggrotwho declined the invitation to explore the bilge is pushed and shoved with other men out the door by the bosun who shepherds them harshly to take places in the rigging.

Captain Lazarus appears on the deck, bellowing commands and calls the sailors to turn the sloop 180 degrees into the wind, issuing a broadside to be fired by the cannons onto the flaming platforms. "Right men, we'll see what land and lard pastries have made of you, turn the Mac G around and take these foes out afore they strike the main mast. C'mon, heave those sails and jibs"

Pascale the halfling opens the door into the library cum prayer room, disturbing the meditating native shaman. "Miss Iggy, you gotta come quick, in case the men are injured." She leads Iggway back to the central galley where 'Butcher' Vayne has pushed all the pots and pans on the floor. He is clearing a table and indicate Iggway to do the same with the other. "After that girl, fetch my stuff,"pointing to a small cabinet. Opening it you see an arsenal of cutting and slicing implements, small bone saws, chopping cleavers, hand clamps, cuff ties, scalpels. Pascale is thrown a key from Vayne and she goes to open the chest brought in earlier, bringing out an array of bandages and linens and puts a couple of potion vials close by at hand.

The drums and bells repeat until all hands are on deck and in positions of active service. The dwarf with the wooden leg appears on deck, getting a nod from the Captain before moving between the masts and pointing the loading crews."Right you sea dogs, load them up and fire on captains orders, quick now don't want my stump 'rodding your renals' do we,". He parades up the line of four cannon as they are being loaded, cursing folk as they drop a cannon ball or are slow to prime the bores.

"That's Dogger. A master gunner and he'll stand on deck until the hell or high water take us or him down. We both lost a leg each loading a cannon. Him the left me the right. Cannon got hit plum and blew, rest o' the buggers got blown to smithers. Other side of the boat loaded their heads and blew them out to sea." says old Plighty to his new loading crew.

Siggard can stay in the crows nest with Cravat give me an normal [3d6] skill roll vs dex please and a d20 spot roll.
Zoggrot, assigned to the rigging, no roll required as your 18 strength is above any 3d6 score. You will get a chance to load and fire shortly...
Iggway give me a d20 roll please, higher the better.
Pocc, Szmodics, Rexlin, Holden as you are loading cannons each give me 4 x [3d6] vs dex rolls and 1 x [1d20] roll to fire the cannon. As you are not under fire, loading the cannons is an easier task than loading under fire which would be [4d6]. There are four cannon each side of the ship and each cannon has a crew who are aiming to load and fire to blast the flaming platforms, if Geoffrey can light the third one...

Post your rolls and actions please, any conversations or verbals you want to say or curse back

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”