Parley...OOC chat and questions for player characters.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Parley...OOC chat and questions for player characters.

#21 Post by Zhym »

*pthbtbtbt*

BTW, the map isn't loading for me.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Stirling »

I see the Caribbean map. just pressed on 'attachment' and it opened up fine.

Do you still want a character backstory...with all that cannon damage we might not last that long... ;)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Spearmint »

the map of the Carib seems to open up fine on my page, not sure what the issue is and I am not a whizzkid, maybe this link will help.

http://i.imgur.com/njtANZS.jpg

as far as creating a character goes I think you have everything for information on Races, Classes and background nation. You should generate some gold and spend it thus....loose change rattling in your pocket may not be such a good thing on a pirate vessel. I will add a bit about certain skills that you will pick up as you progress such as navigation, sailing, gunnery, trading. I will also do a section on your Reputation or Notoriety which again will grow as the game progresses. At the moment most of you are nobodies from nowhere who have achieved nothing, which is not bad as most common people are that way.

someone asked about cost of pistols: The basic Pistol variety start at 80gp and includes the ammunition, enough balls and powder and cleaning rods for 10 shots.
Further ammunition may cost 2gp for a small pouch of powder and 10 extra balls.

Muskets may be also bought, there starting price is 150gp each and musket shot is 3gp for 10 bullets.

Ask away if you need more time or information.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by onlyme »

Spearmint wrote:Money

10 copper pieces equate to 1 silver piece.
10 silver pieces equate to the 1/2 sovereign, so 20 silver pieces make up 1 gold sovereign.
1 gold doubloon is worth 2 gold sovereigns and a 'double-headed' gold doubloon is worth 4 gold sovereigns, but these are extremely rare and ancient coins.

One suggestion...
We will have to keep up with 24 coins with this monetary system. While it is certainly basic level math, will it become unwieldy in aggregate as we rack up hundreds of conquests? My thought would be either to have the exchange rate or the doubloons, but not both. Those options would cut the number of coins to either 6 or 16, respectively. Or a hybrid... the doubloons have the exchange rate, but not the copper, silver, sovereigns? that would require 12 coins to track and provide the hindrance you were looking for in a smaller dose.

Thoughts?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

the copper and silver pieces can be traded everywhere, they are the common currency of normal trade and used equally in every port. The gold is 'crown' minted and used to buy ships, weapons, armour, consignments of goods, etc. So the Gauloise, Breton and Iberians have their own mint. Hence being able to trade in some ports and not another or having to use black market or pirate havens to restock or upgrade. I think most pirate captains will be overseeing the thousands of golden doubloons anyone loots, in his safe or even buried pirate treasure with a ghostly crew member volunteering to guard it.

You are in a Haldane ports which at present uses both Gauloise and Breton gold. Though I would use most of it to equip your character and not have a big fat jingling purse around a bunch of cutthroats...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by onlyme »

ahhh. ok.

That cuts down the matrix, then, if copper and silver are universal.
thanks
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

I will be adding some notes on Spells later and if folk send me their character sheets I can go through them to add anything missing or take away any extra bonus added in error...I'm quite liberal really, if folk find they have an extra skill, language or spell. You just might find some buffed up opponents.

I like all the descriptions of characters and backstories so keep them coming in. Once everyone is on board and posted in the tavern thread we can sail away.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Could you post a list of languages? I'm not clear on whether "Olman" is the common tongue or just the root language for the natives, whether each euro race has its own language separate from common, whether there are other dialects, etc.

I see how we get our starting skill points for reputation and notoriety, but what about the rest of the skills?

Oh, and are Crafting and Foraging one skill or two?

Thanks!

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Spearmint »

I will update, as I constantly do the character creation thread to include this but here is what you need.

The natives speak several different dialects of Olmaic, those on the islands speak a common creole Olmaic, which will suffice to cover all natives on the coast or islands in a basic way. In the mainland plains or deeper jungles, the dialect have subtle differences so a specific Olman language may be required not just a 'pidgeon' language.

Elven, dwarven, goblin, etc are the same everywhere. Each colonial nation has its own language Breton, Gauloise, Haldane and Iberian. Each character speaks their own national language plus any bonus ones as a result of race, class or intelligence bonus. Nearly all traders that you meet will speak more than one language as it helps inter-island trade.

Crafting and forging are one skill which covers the hard physical labour to build a raft, carve a sculpture, create some intricate jewelry, smith a weapon. Some skills are singular personal skills, class based such as experimenting to create a potion in a laboratory, others are corporate skills learned as you experience life on board, such as manning a cannon or sailing a ship. The more skills points a gun crew have the more effective that gun will be. As you progress, level up, get critical results, these skills may increase.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Zhym »

Okay. So what languages would a half-orc from St. Nevis know before adding two bonus languages?

And what's the starting score for each skill, assuming no bonuses? Do they all start at zero except for possibly reputation and notoriety?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Spearmint »

Zoggrot would know Common Breton and Orcish plus two additional languages. Skills are at 0 unless you get a race or class bonus.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

Thanks. I think Zoggrot's ready to roll.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Zhym »

Should I PM the sheet or anything to get final approval, or should I just post the sheet in the "approved" thread and jump into the action?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Spearmint »

Sure post it up. I will go over them anyway and prune or add a bit of fine tuning if need be.

You will all get the chance to roleplay a bit in the tavern before you board ship and sail.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Zhym »

Should we buy our own rations, or can we assume they'll feed us on the ship?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

OGRE MAGE wrote:As folks leave and enter the tavern, Siggard Blyth steps inside, brushing off the sleeves of his puffy shirt. He looks the place over for a bit to orient himself. He seeks a new line of work, sick and tired of the heavy manual labor on the merchants ships that got him here. He tosses a small piece of apple over his shoulder that lands in the flap of his open pack as he steps up to the table.

Siggard Blyth at your service, sirs. I seek adventure on the high seas but I have little in the way of actual sailing knowledge. If you could use a man to help "fill the sails" if you catch my meaning, then I would be that man. The grey haired man wiggles his fingers in a non threatening manner to emphasize his claims.

I am not here for doing the menial labor now mind you. And I am not running from any tattered past either. I assure you that I am here by my own free will.

Would you have need of someone of my skill set or not? I will offer my special talents to your crew in return for teaching me the ropes of sailing if you will pardon my pun.

What say you? There are a lot of other ships on the water as I am sure you already know quite well.
*checks Siggard's charisma*

So, Ogre Mage, what kind of character will you roll up when these folks tell Siggard to pound beach sand? :lol:

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#37 Post by OGRE MAGE »

:lol:

Nice!

Ummmm.........a fighter? :lol:

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Spearmint »

Welcome aboard everyone, we have six new recruits on board the McGregors' Revenge, well six if Iggway either signs up or jumps in the jolly. A couple more may join at the last moment, if not they may have to join the wait list at the next port of call or from the next ship you board.

I have gone over the character sheets and think you are a fine bunch of folk with some excellent stats. A couple of things to note:

Rexlin: adjust your saving throws to 14-15-16-17-17 and I recommend you buy some armour, studded leather at AC 7 and a light crossbow + 20 bolts cost 15 gp and 14gp respectively, so within your budget

Geoffrey: you can finish the sheet and i will go through it but it looks fine and the backstory is okay.

Siggard: either get +1 trade skill or +1 bonus spell for being half-elven. Also ..change your mum, if you stay half-Breton you will lose the +1 vs poisons and +1 native weapon of choice. So you can be half-native human/half-elven. Also as a mage I give read Magic and Detect Magic as free known spells to all single class mages. So record them in your list and add a couple of spells to replace them. You may use Read and Detect Magic once daily without preparation, additional spells need daily study beforehand. The bonus spell that you know may be a clerical spell from either the cleric class list or the druid class list, but you must choose one spell that you can know and study for. Record it in your list of known spells.

Iggway: Firstly clerics are HD 8 not 6 so adjust by +2 hp. As a native you should have a -1 to you initial intelligence and wisdom scores. Your shaman class is treated as a cleric and you may choose for your cleric to follow down a vocational cleric route or a traditional druid route. This will affect if you can turn undead and also the type of spells that you may cast. You will know intrinsically all the 1st level spells of your vocational choice and may add to that list any chosen mage spells that you desire for your bonus. With 17 wisdom you receive the ability to cast 3 x 1st levels spells daily so to start with you may know any 3 mage spells, assuming you wished to cast those. Add these three to your recorded list and then you pray each day to choose from that list whichever you desire to suit your expected needs. You don't get Read or Detect magic as automatic known spells but you may choose to learn them if you desire.

There is a late night smithy and chandeliers and merchants open for anyone to make last minute purchases prior to boarding so if you want to get some armour, an extra dagger, few bottles of rum to share with the crew go buy now and list it in your inventory. Rather than carry lots of coins folk can also equip themselves with jewelry, earrings and necklaces. For example record 'Coral Necklace 20 gp value' instead of 20gp in your purse. It might be more exchangeable in trade and less of a risk to lose on board.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#39 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ok, I took the Breaton part out of my background and switched the MU spells around.

I'm a little confused on the bonus spell. If it is clerical, does it always need to be the same one and written in my book? Or can he change it each day like a cleric/druid could?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Spearmint »

The way I am trying to work it is single class mages or illusionists who qualify for a bonus clerical spell get to choose one cleric spell of choice and add it to their list of known spells. The would need to study and prepare to cast the spell in the same way as other arcane spells. A 1st level mage can cast 1 spell per day, + x number of bonus spells due to any intelligence bonus. I think you have 3 spells you can cast without having to study or rest. You should have read magic and detect magic as free spells which may also be once cast daily making five spells available each day. You intelligence gives you a minimum number known in your spell book which I believe is any 8 spells, plus Read and Detect magic plus one chosen clerical spell from the cleric list, this spell is not changeable.

native shamans are slightly different in that they may learn and choose spells from both arcane and cleric lists. They will know all the cleric or druid spells 1st level depending on their vocational choice and a number of known mage spells. The mage spells cannot be changed but the clerical ones may be. The shaman prayers and meditates to receive his daily portion. They can learn extra mage spells but as they suffer with a -1 to both wisdom and -1 intelligence, they are often restricted in the number of spells they can cast and the level of spells they can aspire too.

You can be a native single class druid if you desire.

There are no 'native' single class clerics. Those that are around have been converted to the faiths of Breton, Gauloise or Iberian deities and work as a colonial Breton cleric would.

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”