Parley...OOC chat and questions for player characters.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Parley...OOC chat and questions for player characters.

#581 Post by Spearmint »

okay let me cut through any confusion I have caused.

1) This is from the first page of the Character Creation thread:
Create a little backstory for your character. The quality of the story will be rewarded with points to score against your Reputation and Notoriety. This is particularly vital when dealing with Governors, officials, other ship captains especially Pirates. It might make recruiting a crew for a hazardous raid easier or more difficult, extracting secret information from the captain of the guard or tavern barmaid more precise. Towns may just quake and fear when you ship is in sight or send out the red carpet and herald your safe return to port.

Your players initial starting Reputation and Notoriety is equal to their charisma score modifier. Yes, you can start the game with a minus statistic! Your reputation is enhanced or tarnished and your notoriety grows as you do heroic or infamous acts around the Carib.

Record your Reputation and Notoriety score in a section of the notes: some races or nations receive bonuses or penalties to their initial score.
When you do notable deeds, your reputation or notoriety increases, such as Siggard killing the Hag, a specific heroic act. 1/2 orcs receive a bonus to starting notoriety as pirates, natives like Iggway suffer as indigenous people with a penalty to their reputation whereas Breton characters gain a reputation bonus as good sailors. The score for each will be in a range of 1 to 5, it is not a 3d6 rolled stat.

2) All the volunteers will be going on the mission. The post to address the captain and 'volunteer' and pass a charisma check might earn you a reward for doing such as receiving a potion of healing. 1/2 orcs are penalised with their starting charisma but I am using the initial roll as if you are addressing another 1/2 orc. The d6 bonus for each point of notoriety should be added to the 3d6 skill check.

3) I am aiming that the Nassau harbour raid will take place in six three-man canoes, as one big group sneaking into the harbour and then you may split up into two group to achieve sub-aims which I will run in separate forums so you shouldn't get lost in cross posts.

4) I did put out feelers before the last expedition ended to test what folk wanted to do and the concensus was stay together as one group not try two or three concurrent expeditions (Raid Harbour, seek out Blue John pirate, investigate mage cult).

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#582 Post by Zhym »

Thanks for the explanation, Spearmint. Could you clarify how the charisma check will work, though? I'm still a little confused because you describe the additional d6 as a bonus, but if we're trying to roll our charisma or lower (the way skill checks usually work), the extra d6 is more like a penalty because it makes it harder to pass the charisma check. Or do you mean for it to be a penalty? Or is this just a "higher is better" roll that's related to charisma in some way?

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#583 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Ok, thanks for the clarification. One extra thing, forgive me but I've been mixing my editions lately, what are the charisma score modifiers?

For example, Ferrol has a CHA of 18. No other race or story bonuses, yet.
He would roll 3d6, plus d6 per point of notoriety (from CHA score modifier), correct?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#584 Post by Zhym »

Also, about this:
Spearmint wrote:Your players initial starting Reputation and Notoriety is equal to their charisma score modifier.
Where does the charisma score modifier come from? In AD&D1e, the charisma table lists "loyalty base" and "reaction adjustment" in %. For example, a PC with charisma of 18 has a loyalty base of +40% and a reaction adjustment of +35%. How do you translate that to a notoriety score?

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#585 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Thanks for the clarification however i don't see the notoriety infor for Pocc and I had to copy it from the original sheet that the original player had posted. So it is possible information was lost/missed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#586 Post by Spearmint »

yes you are right I even confused myself.

There is no charisma modifier, in later editions of the game there are but not in this one. So everyone starts out with a Reputation and Notoriety score of 0, adjusted by racial or class bonus or penalties as described in Character Creation. I will go back and amend the post to edit the script errors.

Okay, so, in your pitch to volunteer for the raid on Nassau, roll a 3d6 macro with your request and add a further d6 or any point of reputation or notoriety earned. Higher the better scores will earn rewards for the trip or being tasked with a certain responsibility.

Leitz
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#587 Post by Leitz »

I will be reading to catch up, and joining the fun shortly.

Thank you all for your support, by the way.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#588 Post by shaidar »

Just a confirmation, we are only using the players handbook, yes? I'm specifically thinking of the magic user spell lists.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#589 Post by Spearmint »

Yes we are using the Players Handbook only at this point. Use the spells listed and study to create your own.

I have posted a more detailed map of Andros in the Carib background and Islands forum. Please use this to familiarise yourself.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#590 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Are we supposed to use your island map to coordinate this thing? Or will there be another coming with details to the locations of the ship, guard tower, Keep, etc.?

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#591 Post by shaidar »

I've tried to locate the fort on the map and failed, could someone point me in the right direction, ta.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#593 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Take care BH!

Not sure you will miss much here at this rate.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#594 Post by Spearmint »

sorry rate was slow due to my illness but I am scripting now, yes now! and will post a new map and ask for actions shortly.

Rex
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#595 Post by Rex »

Get better BH! No worry Spearmint.

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#597 Post by shaidar »

glad to hear it BH!

shaidar
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#598 Post by shaidar »

Spearmint wrote:sorry rate was slow due to my illness but I am scripting now, yes now! and will post a new map and ask for actions shortly.
no worries, hope you're feeling better.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#599 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Good to hear BH!

Incidentally, I will be heading out on vacation tomorrow, so my posting rate may lag till about the 12th.

Hotgoblin
President of Unseen Servant
President of Unseen Servant

#600 Post by Hotgoblin »

I will be out out of the country on vacation till mid Dec and won’t always have access to internet.

Happy Holidays!!

Julie

Return to “Pirates: Cannons and Dragons (1ed homebrew)”