The Wooden Keep

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The Wooden Keep

#121 Post by Alethan »

Earc thinks for a moment, pondering his options.

"I do already have a tower established near the Frogmorton Ford, but... it's a little close to garrison men when there is already a garrison at the ford. So what about..."

Earc thinks a moment before finishing.

"What about that old tower what was cleared of kobolds recently? I understand it isn't completely cleared, yet, but... maybe there is a reason to keep handy creatures that can lay golden eggs and turn people to stone. And I'd like to keep Toll's Tower in my name, if that's no bother..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#122 Post by Zhym »

Marullus wrote:"A debt to be paid in gold from my treasury and also in honor, from my people." Sir Albrecht brings forward two chests of gold coins. "Two thousand gold coins as a reward for your efforts. Plus, each of you thus named as stakeholders in this effort - Earc, Olaf, Halfpint, and Hereward - have proven yourselves worthy in this realm. You are entitled to hold lands as vassals (which this money may aid) and, if you swear your vows in the chapel of Baudh, be named Knights of the Realm. You are invited to speak with Sir Albrecht about where you wish to exercise this claim and expand the lands here in the North."
"I be thanking ye for the gold," answers Olaf, slowly, with a bow, "and for the offer of land and title. But I canna swear to Baudh when me heart be with Moradin. And instead of land for me, I ask ye, if I may, to honor the claim of the Blackhelm to the homes of their ancestors as their own, with no ill will or claim over them, but as allies. This be what I ask, if I be able to ask."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#123 Post by Zhym »

Lug arrives at the keep, along with any of the other Scatha-slayers who want to join him. He is wearing a suit of red plate armor.

"Hi there!" he says cheerfully. "Who do we talk to about rewards for killing a big damn red dragon that had threatened to burn down the town? Cause we totally did that."
Last edited by Zhym on Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#124 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers stands next to Lug, also in his new armor, and a newly burnished shield, resplendent with the Garret family crest, a mailed fist holding a spear.

"Indeed, Scatha is dead and I would also be interested in claiming His Excellency's reward for the dragon's death."
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#125 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

29 July

The trip from the White Tower join the company entreating the Archduke. Bremen has his other knights with him, though they remain in the waiting area. Lord Commander Bremen is also wearing his new dragon armor, as well as his traveling cloak, with his Warhammer of Baudh in hand. He allows Father Clauson to ensure his introduction is appropriate.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#126 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw - Walks in with the Lug and the others. Guard we would like to see the Archduke please. My party would like to start celebrating. I am sure the would not like the party to start here in his keep.

He pulls the group together and whispers. Lets not mention a second dragon unless we want to be off after another one.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#127 Post by Marullus »

Leading up to September 5, 2021

After deliberations by Sir Albrecht and the heroes who ended Guhra's assault on the caravans, a pronouncement goes out about the new Lords of Gaul.

Lord Earc of Beith's Watch - Taking residence in the former kobold tower to maintain dilligence over the Western Dark Forest, Lord Earc will have domain over the settlement known as Beith's Watch. "You have the duty to civilize the city of Zhint and the Western Wood," he states.

Lady Halfpint of the Eastern Wood - Taking residence in the settlement of Amistad's Pinewood Vale, she is to maintain dilligence over the Eastern Dark Forest. "Though small in size, you have the largest challenges and allies," Sir Albrecht states. "Blackjack Amistad already made alliance with the ogres and one-eyed giants of that region; the duty falls to you to ensure the right action of them and to act in Gaul's interest to establish relations or treaties with any other sentient biengs discovered in exploration there."

News has been rampant of wagons-full of dwarves, several hundred of them in total, arriving through the mountain pass from the south to flock to the banners of the newly-named King Drunil and his mountainhome at the Mines of Verdun. Such numbers of the stout, short-sized miners is boggling to those of Gaul who took several years to build that much population via the caravans but the dwarves have come in a single month.

Thus, the pledge of loyalty by Olaf to his kin instead of the realm of men is of no surprise. "Go then with my friendship, Olaf Olafsonsonson," says the Archduke. "As you and your kin protect the mountain pass, we in Gaul are and shall remain grateful."

The Return of the Dragonslayers
The Archduke welcomes Baxtaw, Lug, Piers, and Bremen (who is introduced by Clauson as "Lord Commander of the Knights of Baudhil and Protector of the Yoldessi Plains, Sovereign of the North"). "Your efforts to slay the dragon are received with relief by all, mst especially by the maidens who shall no longer be under threat of the scarlet wyrm's demands. You have all proven your mettle - You are entitled to hold lands as vassals (which this money may aid) and, if you swear your vows in the chapel of Baudh, be named Knights of the Realm. You are invited to speak with Sir Albrecht about where you wish to exercise this claim and expand the lands here in the North." He presents you each with a large sack of gold from the treasury (600gp each).
Dram wrote:He pulls the group together and whispers. Lets not mention a second dragon unless we want to be off after another one.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#128 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint visits Sir Albrecht about getting her letters to present to the folks at the logging town. Though the town may be backwoodsy, she wants to follow proper protocol. Once she has them, she thanks him and pledges to come back with a report on the conditions they find the area.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#129 Post by Jernau35 »

Having sworn his vows as a Knight in the Chapel of Baudh, Piers returns to visit Sir Albrecht. "I wish to swear my Oath of Fealty to His Excellency The Arch-Duke. As yet, I have not chosen where I shall excise my claim. I shall return and make this known in the future. As for now, I will continue to explore the Duchy and aid in the pacification and expansion of it's frontiers."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#130 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Leading up to September 5, 2021

After deliberations by Sir Albrecht and the heroes who ended Guhra's assault on the caravans, a pronouncement goes out about the new Lords of Gaul.

Lord Earc of Beith's Watch - Taking residence in the former kobold tower to maintain dilligence over the Western Dark Forest, Lord Earc will have domain over the settlement known as Beith's Watch. "You have the duty to civilize the city of Zhint and the Western Wood," he states.

Lady Halfpint of the Eastern Wood - Taking residence in the settlement of Amistad's Pinewood Vale, she is to maintain dilligence over the Eastern Dark Forest. "Though small in size, you have the largest challenges and allies," Sir Albrecht states. "Blackjack Amistad already made alliance with the ogres and one-eyed giants of that region; the duty falls to you to ensure the right action of them and to act in Gaul's interest to establish relations or treaties with any other sentient biengs discovered in exploration there."

News has been rampant of wagons-full of dwarves, several hundred of them in total, arriving through the mountain pass from the south to flock to the banners of the newly-named King Drunil and his mountainhome at the Mines of Verdun. Such numbers of the stout, short-sized miners is boggling to those of Gaul who took several years to build that much population via the caravans but the dwarves have come in a single month.

Thus, the pledge of loyalty by Olaf to his kin instead of the realm of men is of no surprise. "Go then with my friendship, Olaf Olafsonsonson," says the Archduke. "As you and your kin protect the mountain pass, we in Gaul are and shall remain grateful."

The Return of the Dragonslayers
The Archduke welcomes Baxtaw, Lug, Piers, and Bremen (who is introduced by Clauson as "Lord Commander of the Knights of Baudhil and Protector of the Yoldessi Plains, Sovereign of the North"). "Your efforts to slay the dragon are received with relief by all, mst especially by the maidens who shall no longer be under threat of the scarlet wyrm's demands. You have all proven your mettle - You are entitled to hold lands as vassals (which this money may aid) and, if you swear your vows in the chapel of Baudh, be named Knights of the Realm. You are invited to speak with Sir Albrecht about where you wish to exercise this claim and expand the lands here in the North." He presents you each with a large sack of gold from the treasury (600gp each).
Did that give the party members Friendly status with the Duke? Or is it just the titles?

What is Bremen's relationship with the Temple of Baudh? Indifferent? (Not likely) Worse?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#131 Post by Marullus »

There is no "friendly" status with the Archduke. ;) Rank-and-title does give privilege, though.

Bremen is currently Dubious with the townfolk of Gaul and Unfriendly with the Temple of Baudh (specifically the Archbishop).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#132 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Bremen is currently Dubious with the townfolk of Gaul
Even after helping kill Scatha? What a finicky lot! I assume that includes the Archduke's soldiers and loggers as well? (He had friendly status with both after the archery competition.)
...and Unfriendly with the Temple of Baudh (specifically the Archbishop).
I was guessing as much. Just wanted to be clear so I could log it into the relationship thread.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#133 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:Halfpint visits Sir Albrecht about getting her letters to present to the folks at the logging town. Though the town may be backwoodsy, she wants to follow proper protocol. Once she has them, she thanks him and pledges to come back with a report on the conditions they find the area.
Sir Albrecht provides the documents with Archduke's seal naming her Lady of the Eastern Forest. "With respect, my Lady... such honor comes with responsibility. The ArchDuke expects that you shall handle the situation there and ensure its due fealty and leal service to the realm, that you maintain a garrison to protect its citizens and answer the Archduke's call for levies when required, and, well... that you handle the problems rather than reporting on them." He smiles sympathetically. "You have proven yourself. You now ARE his trusted agent on these matters."
Jernau35 wrote:Having sworn his vows as a Knight in the Chapel of Baudh, Piers returns to visit Sir Albrecht. "I wish to swear my Oath of Fealty to His Excellency The Arch-Duke. As yet, I have not chosen where I shall excise my claim. I shall return and make this known in the future. As for now, I will continue to explore the Duchy and aid in the pacification and expansion of it's frontiers."
The Archduke dabs Piers Garrett with his short sword, knighting him. "Arise, Sir Piers. I am pleased to accept your leal service. Continue to perform great deeds! I am pleased to see your faith in Baudh growing with such heroic endeavors."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#134 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint nods as she accepts the papers.

I will not let him down.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#135 Post by Spearmint »

prior to Fall Festival

Amistad, in his glossed banded mail, best silk toga and turban and accompanied by Akaara in her scale armour arrive at the Duke's keep. He has brought with him the decorative cedarwood and cypress planks requested as tithe for use in refitting the keeps banquet hall.

"Duke Gaul, the town of Pinewood Vale prospers as anticipated. My men lead the ogre bands in securing the trade routes and the farming and fishing interests of the cyclops have been utilised to benefit the community. I believe Lady Halfpint adventures to keep peace within the forest and Akaara here continues to study with the morlock captive. These endeavours have all proved successful. As winter approaches I consider further territory and valuable trade may be secured and I have plans to meet with the orc tribes that surround the Gehl pinnacle. I have approached Sir Piers as he has yet to declare an interest in Gaulish land and he determines to support such a quest as your ambassador. I would request your support of this noble enterprise, in authorising Captain Uthred to second able bodied men to accompany us upriver."

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#136 Post by Jernau35 »

Returning as quickly as he may from the Fall Festival, Piers seeks an audience with the Duke.

"Your Excellency! No doubt you have heard already from our friend Amistad of his intention to explore the lands to the north and contact the orc tribes that dwell up there. I intend to accompany him and have come to inform you of this. As a knight sworn to your service I am willing to serve as your ambassador in dealings with these tribes, to see what relations may be established with them, and what trade deals may be established".

"If the lands prove suitable, I may request your permission to perhaps clear some land there and construct a stronghold."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#137 Post by Marullus »

September 30, 2021
CHA check [4d6-4] = 13-4 = 9
[2d6+3] = 7+3 = 10 mounted men

The ArchDuke listens to the appeals of both Amistad, well known for his success in intrepid undertakings, and Sir Piers, a Dragonslayer and builder of works to Baudh.

"I would indeed be pleased to have a peaceful northern border, or at least to know the measure of these neighbors north of the forest before the dwarves have a chance to instigate hostilities with them. Your willingness to seek routes other than violence speaks to your wisdom, but as Baudh would tell you, it is always best to treat from a position of strength."

He turns to Sir Albrecht, "Prepare ten heavy calvary and their mounts to go with these emmisaries." He returns to looking to Piers and Amistad, "I trust you will return this Goodwill by bringing my knights back as safely as you are able."

This represents one unit of NPCs. They will obey commands and roll morale depending on who is commanding them. Threats that they resolve do not earn XP for the expedition, but they don't take a share of expedition XP either. Your choice when they act, accordingly.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#138 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Thanks the Duke for his support though the mounted troops does change his plans somewhat. Still they will beef the group out and he bows formally pleased with the result.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#139 Post by Stirling »

Oct 1st 2021

Fochelle de Coulthard

approaches the keep and seeks an audience with 'His wisdomness', Wilhelm the sage. Foxy is accompanied by Casper White of the Gwanwen priesthood and her Sgt-at-arms Tocen.

Shown into the library she waits patiently until he arrives though patiently for Foxy is only a short time. She drums fingers on some leather bound tomes, feigning interest in their works. "I hope the dust on these books hasn't also clouded his mind", she whispers a little too loudly.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#140 Post by hedgeknight »

Casper nods and takes note of the library, walking slowly from corner to corner, his eyes ever alert as they peruse the tomes.
Winter is coming...

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”