Action Thread 12

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Action Thread 12

#101 Post by ToniXX »

Based on Ron's answer to Arg's last question, I agree that we either approach as far as we can and hide behind an outcropping or some bushes, or in a gulley, or if the plain is devoid of cover, we approach at night.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#102 Post by dmw71 »

ToniXX wrote:Based on Ron's answer to Arg's last question, I agree that we either approach as far as we can and hide behind an outcropping or some bushes, or in a gulley, or if the plain is devoid of cover, we approach at night.
Works for Jeloon.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by rredmond »

Argennian wrote: OOC: Ron, can we see any flora or geological arrangements from here that could provide any type cover in approaching the city? What does the terrain look like beyond? Not sure how much we can see but curious. You know how those flighty elves are!
There is bunches of tall grass with trails going through it. But only Till would be able to go through without too much of a stoop, and it really isn't good cover as it's sparse and if someone is manning the towers, they'd be able to see you. It's a pretty decently set up defensible location. The closest you could get without being seen (you think) would be that outcropping to the left (west) of the city. Then you'd only be a couple hours away from it.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#104 Post by Alethan »

"We might consider making for the trees to the west and then setting up a temporary camp so we can scout out the city under the cover of darkness."

(Everyone please chime in. If all agree, then let's do that. If you don't agree, then please detail your alternate idea. :) )
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#105 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"We might consider making for the trees to the west and then setting up a temporary camp so we can scout out the city under the cover of darkness."
"Jeloon like."

To Till: "Trees should provide cover for rest of us while you scout city."
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#106 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:"We might consider making for the trees to the west and then setting up a temporary camp so we can scout out the city under the cover of darkness."
Bruard replies, That sounds like a good idea to me as well.
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Argennian »

ToniXX wrote:
Bruard replies, That sounds like a good idea to me as well.
"And for me as well, Till. I am hopeful we will not be spotted if we stick close to the outer perimeter of the valley..."
Last edited by Argennian on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by rredmond »

Camping for the night and heading out in the morning to the forest, or going under cover of darkness?
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#109 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:Camping for the night and heading out in the morning to the forest, or going under cover of darkness?
"Jeloon think Till be more lucky in dark. Me vote Till go out at night. Rest go later."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#110 Post by Alethan »

"Happy to do so, my friend! But first, we need to try and set up a camp a bit closer to the city."

Till studies their options for a bit...

"Let's move west, along the base of the mountains here, until we make our way to that outcropping that looks to be just west of the city. We can set up camp there and, once it gets dark, I'll do a bit of scouting to see what I can find out."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Argennian »

Yosef nods his agreement. "Agreed. From that position we should get a better look at the area beyond the city as well," he opines as he returns to his place in the marching order and prepares to move forward.

With bow and an arrow still to hand, the elf pays close attention to for any small game that might become visible during their trek, as their food supply has become a source of concern as it does in any lengthly expedition.

OOC: did we ever work out where we were ration-wise? Or how much we left with Derek while he guards the tower? (I see that he has 5 days of trail rations on his sheet)

Looks like we started off with 120 days of trail rations, so if we can deduce how many days worth of meat we got from the 3 giant snakes and the bear, we could at least come up with a close figure. :)
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#112 Post by Alethan »

I think everyone is in agreement here, so let's move forward with that plan, Mr. DM.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by rredmond »

Day 18 – 12:00p

Starting, then resting and finishing, as you go west following the outcropping will take a good portion of the night and the next day.

As you travel you notice, in the morning a small caravan of sorts, coming from the forest, head toward the city and stop at the city gates. After a few minutes they are let in. During this time you, still, do not encounter any monsters or bad guys a-wandering.

On the map here viewtopic.php?f=20&t=351&p=14616#p14616 the small caravan enters at the tower toward which the arrow is pointing.

You are now safely ensconced in the lower portion of the mountain range, directly west of the city.

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19[/b]
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#114 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:You are now safely ensconced in the lower portion of the mountain range, directly west of the city.
"Now seem good place to stop." Jeloon offers. "We set camp here." As she goes about loosening her burden and stowing her supplies, she orders Eyman and Van Deim to do the same.

"Sharp eyes and ears." she states to the group as a whole. "Best to not get too comfortable."

"Anything you need for you spying later?" she asks Till.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#115 Post by Alethan »

"Sure! I could use an elven cloak, if you have one handy!" Till replies with a grin.

"Oh, I'd be nigh unstoppable, then..." His eyes glaze over at the thought of finding an elven cloak to go with his wonderful boots.

He wipes the drool from his chin. "I'd settle for a ring of invisibility, though." He looks at her expectantly. Then quickly laughs and starts Ancor and Rosin to setting up camp.

"No, friend, I'll be fine," he answers in all seriousness. "A little dirt on the nose, my trusty boots, and my dark charcoal cloak should suffice to keep me hidden from spying eyes."

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Argennian »

Yosef relaxes his guard a bit and allows a smile and slight chuckle to escape his usually bussinesslike demeanor at Till's jestings. "An elven cloak would indeed be a rare and wonderful find!" he offers aloud with a wink towards Jeloon and his stout halfling companion.

"I wonder just who and what made up that caravan that came from yonder forest. Since they had a wagon, it could be assumed that there is a road that leads somewhere. I still believe that we have made the right decision in coming this route, lest those traders we spotted yonder turn out to be humanoids or perhaps those with a malevolent bent. Regardless, a closer reconnoiter under cover of darkness will hopefully yield a more accurate accounting of the city's denizens...

"Till, you might as well get some rest and something to eat before your scouting mission, so that you can be as fresh as possible when the time comes."
Yosef will then move to assist Van, Eyman and the others as they set up camp and take care of their pack animals.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#117 Post by Alethan »

Till nods in agreement, then immediately lays down to rest before he heads off in the cover of night.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by Alethan »

... and when it is time, Till readies his gear, dons his cloak, sheathes his short sword, puts on his boots and heads towards the city to scout it out.

(If that needed to be said...)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by rredmond »

Day 18 – 8:30p

It gets to about 2 1/2 or 3 hours past the time Till has left. Even the sharp eyed elf can't see the halfling anymore. But the night is full of birdsong...

HPs: Jeloon - 29/29; Till - 36/36; Yosef - 10/10; Bruard - 19/19[/b]
WIH: Till: short sword (15' radius light); Jeloon: Longsword (20' radius light), shield; Yosef: bow and arrow [or long sword]; Bruard: Mace, shield; Van: +1 ogre spear, shield; Eyman: +1 Battle Axe, shield
MO: 1- Jeloon; 2- Till; 3- Bruard & Eyman; 4- Ancor, Rosin, DAMs; 5- Yosef & Van
Consumables: Lantern - (Till) 2 hours, 25 minutes left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 58 minutes (off), 40' radius; Torch, 60 minutes (off), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Yosef: 1-2/2, 2-1/1; Bruard: 1-5/5, 2-4/4

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Argennian »

Yosef stands at the ready and in constant vigilance as he anxiously awaits Till's return. He keeps his bow and an arrow to hand at all times whilst he waits. "At least the song of the birds is perhaps a good indication that nothing approaches..." states the elf to none in particular. He carefully studies the city and surrounding areas...

OOC: Ron, what kind of view are we afforded of the city? Do we see any lights from within? Any potential campfires or other lights that may be seen from our current position?

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

Return to “Legacy of the Unknown - Pacesetter Games Playtest (OSRIC module)”