Expedition - Markd/On A Mission From Baudh - 08 May 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Markd/On A Mission From Baudh - 08 May 2021

#781 Post by Zhym »

No use for a Commune scroll? I'd suggest saving it and letting a cleric who joins the group use it to the group's benefit. It's not every day you get to ask questions of your God and get an answer.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#782 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Makes sense to keep the scroll then, but it should stay with the characters going back out on the mission, in my opinion. If that is okay, I think we have mostly agreed to:
- give the Piety, feed and saddle bags to Irving as payment for his heroic act
- keep the scroll

All the rest of Kellstrom's stuff would go to the Temple as a Memorial (giving Stirling's new character some extra XP).

How do you all feel about splitting the cost of a bard for tribute to ourselves? It wold amount to 20gp each. A small price to pay for 50 XP each. If you are all okay with that:

Gathered Goods: 30cp 2,600sp 180gp = 440gp and 30cp - cost 100gp (for bard) 330gp, 30cp.

That is 66gp and 6cp each. (That's odd seeming for characters coming back form a holy quest... :? )

Did I miss anything? Are you all cool with that? Bremen will talk to the Bard for us, if you'd like. He'll be sure to mention Olaf's courage against the gargoyle's, Irving's daring against the gargoyle's and the ogre, Bandy's thoughtfulness to protect the mounts when they were in danger (thief!!!) and Markd's bravery against the skeletons and bugs. :P

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#783 Post by Zhym »

Olaf wants an equal share of anything that isn't donated back to Kellstrom's church, including the mule. The scroll—well, that's hard to account for, so we'll just say that Olaf forgot there was one. The mule is only 9 gp he wouldn't be getting, though, so if the rest of the party tells him to piss off he won't raise a big stink about it—though he might give Irving a big stink-eye for letting Kellstrom die and taking his mule. ;)

As for a tribute, he doesn't remember anything worth bragging about in the recent expedition, so he won't pay to have a bard sing about it.

Could we separate the accounting of treasure shares from contributions to tributes, etc? It's kind of hard to keep track of what money Olaf should have if we're mixing everything.

I'd already added 36g 520s 6c to Olaf's sheet. I'd figured anything Kellstrom had would have gotten donated back to the church, but if we're distributing any of that as treasure just let me know how much that comes to per PC and I'll add that too.
Last edited by Zhym on Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#784 Post by onlyme »

Sounds fair. Markd would want to take the cleric tunic to the chapel for a donation. He did fail at achieving the goal and would probably need to offer as much as possible in retribution.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#785 Post by Zhym »

BTW, you dropped 10 gp in your math here:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Gathered Goods: 30cp 2,600sp 180gp = 440gp and 30cp - cost 100gp (for bard) 330gp, 30cp.
The loot (without anything Kellstrom had) is what I calculated before: 36 gp, 520 sp, 6 cp per person, or, if Marullus allows free sp to gp conversion, 88 gp 6 cp. If we split the value of the mule, that's another 9 sp per person, with Irving getting 45 gp of his share in the form of the mule.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#786 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh I did drop 10gp, didn't I? Thanks.

Well if Olaf doesn't want the XP, would everyone else want to chip in? We'll just leave the dwarf out of the story and he can have a long, grudge-filled life, knowing he was forgotten while a foolish, now-dead cleric was not.

Though I had mentioned it before, I wasn't keeping anything from Kellstrom in my calculations. That stuff is cheap enough to purchase that I don't want to do the math for it. Since Olaf is the only one in the group begrudging this, why doesn't Irving just pay the dwarf 9gp for his share of the mule. I've converted it to silver to be annoying to Olaf, who now gets to pay the Userer more of a fee for converting it to something meaningful. :P

Bandy: 36 gp, 520 sp, 6 cp
Bremen: 36 gp, 520 sp, 6 cp.
Irving: 36 gp, 430 sp, 6 cp and a mule, saddle bags and feed
Markd: 36 gp, 520 sp, 6 cp and the scroll for Commune
Olaf: 36 gp, 610 sp, 6 cp

The Temple gets a donation in Memorial to Kellstrom the Cleric for: 136.6 gp (I deducted the cost of saddle bags, feed and trained mule).

If Markd, Irving and Bandy want to split the cost for a bard, that's 250sp less, each.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#787 Post by Zhym »

Wow. I think that's the first time I've seen a PC basically called an asshole for wanting an even split of treasure and not paying to promote himself.

If the value of Kellstrom's stuff getting donated back to the church is 136.6, doesn't that count as some sort of tribute?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#788 Post by onlyme »

I am totally confused.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#789 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Wow. I think that's the first time I've seen a PC basically called an asshole for wanting an even split of treasure and not paying to promote himself.
:oops: That was not my intent, but I see how it can be read that way. My apologies to Zhym and everyone else. It all comes down to too much vested interest and not enough objectivity on my part, as well as acting too much on behalf of Bremen when OOC, I think.

Captain Bremen is snarky, self-serving (albeit Lawful) jerk though, so his reaction to something like is be, "Fine. Suit yourself. But two can play at that, dude." Definitely assholish, and VERY immature! :D And (for full disclosure) Captain Bremen is only 1 XP from gaining 3rd level. He really wants the tribute but with so little overall treasure, he doesn't want to foot the bill for the whole thing. On Bremen's behalf, I was trying to pressure Zhym into coughing up the coin.

It should have been done in character, not out of character. :oops: I'm sorry... :oops:

Now that you all know that I am just as self-serving as Bremen, I'll step back and let you all hash out how the coin will be divvied up. Just know that Captain Bremen is fine with Irving taking the mule and is willing to go in on a tribute for the group. If no one else wants to go in on that, he'll do something small for himself since he'll need to do something before heading back out anyway.

Again. I apologize.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#790 Post by Zhym »

No worries. :)

OOC, Olaf doesn't have a lot of money and isn't terribly close to 3rd level, so 50 XP isn't worth as much to him right now as the 20 gp. I just rationalized that in-character as Olaf not having done anything on that trip he wants anyone singing about.

As for the mule, Olaf is also Lawful. "Everyone gets equal shares" seems like a particularly Lawful way of dividing loot. But 9 gp either way isn't going to make or break Olaf. If he gets it in silver, that seems to be convertible into gold without a fee anyway (Marullus, can you confirm this?).

Being 1 XP away is pretty darn close! In AD&D, there's a rule that you can't gain more than one level per adventure. Is there any rule like that in this game, or can PCs gain as many levels in an expedition as they gain XP for?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#791 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah. I had enough XP for level 3 but Marullus is capping it at one level/outing. It makes sense, but it puts me to where I need to make a tribute of at least 1gp. What can Bremen do for 1gp... Well he does have a bottle of wine and was going to make himself known with the captain of the guard. Let them know who he is... Wonder if that would work.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#792 Post by Alethan »

way too much discussion going on about treasure division when it's just coin. It shouldn't be a pain in the ass to figure it all out. Normally I'm all for even Steven, regardless of who did what during the adventure. But basically taking on an ogre by himself and saving the rest of the incapacitated group and retrieving the mounts with all of the loot recovered thus far seems like they can get away with a bit more. Or maybe on the next venture out, when we uncover some better loot, that character gets last choice because he took a bonus this time around. ;) It will all eventually even out.

Bandy is taking this amount and updating his character sheet.

Bandy: 36 gp, 520 sp, 6 cp

He will chip in 250sp of that share for 50xp if the remaining party members will also do that. If the dwarf wants to chip in, then fine. If not, then fine. Everyone should feel free to play their character as in-depth as they want. Don't fault others for the responses you receive though, you know?

E.g. Hobbits are generally jolly folk. I generally like to play jolly characters. But if the very first thing you do when you meet one is insult him and his grandfather's prized sword, he's possibly going to react poorly to it. I like to leave it to dice when something like that happens with another PC. In that situation, the dice didn't roll well. Like I said, feel free to play your character however you want. But likewise be prepared for characters to not respond well. Especially if random dice are involved. ;)

Let's get on to the festival and gather back up for the next trip out. I'm sure the rest will be good for everyone. :)
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#793 Post by onlyme »

I am fine with the 36,270,6 distribution if throwing in the 250 sp. I need to read up on these tributes, and admit to being a bit ignorant of them other than knowing they exist and are a part of this game.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#794 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:If he gets it in silver, that seems to be convertible into gold without a fee anyway (Marullus, can you confirm this?).
The usurer converts for a 1% fee; he'll give it to you in platinum or gold at your preference. When you make purchases, you get change for free.

(When Finger's expedition returned, I took the 1% fee out up-front to allow any denomination to be used in loot division.)
Zhym wrote:Being 1 XP away is pretty darn close! In AD&D, there's a rule that you can't gain more than one level per adventure. Is there any rule like that in this game, or can PCs gain as many levels in an expedition as they gain XP for?
Yes, that rule is in LL Basic, page 49. Bremen hit the cap and forfeited XP on this expedition to remain 1 point below. I'm providing faster advancement but I don't allow you to have more levels than expeditions+1. I don't count the Tribute xp against you, though, so am intentionally allowing that loophole (i.e. you have to return at the lower level but can level-up in town before commencing the next expedition).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#795 Post by Marullus »

Okay, these three have accepted their shares:
  • Bandy: 36 gp, 270 sp, 6 cp
  • Markd: 36 gp, 270 sp, 6 cp and the scroll for Commune
  • Bremen: 36 gp, 270 sp, 6 cp.
I assume that Irving and Olaf accept these shares?
  • Irving: 36 gp, 180 sp, 6 cp and a mule, saddle bags and feed
  • Olaf: 36 gp, 610 sp, 6 cp
Irving got Piety the mule, saddle bags and feed.

Markd retained the scroll for the continuation of the mission.

With that, Bandy, Markd, Bremen, and Irving have paid for the Bard to ensure memorialization in song, assuaging Olaf by not having him pay. For completeness - the other alternative is to let a PC (Irving?) do a Charisma roll and write his own dramatic telling of events, which saves the 100gp but has a chance of failure in which you all get mocked instead. What I need: one of the PCs to take the lead by writing up the tale and posting it. State if it is given to the Bard (now paid), or roll a 1d20 with it (and everyone gets their 250sp back). That PC decides who goes in the story. It can potentially include Bandy, Markd, Bremen, Irving, Kellstrom, and Olaf. If you leave Kellstrom or Olaf out intentionally, that is an IC decision. The author gets 100xp, everyone in the story gets 50xp.

You donated back to the church the remaining items belonging to Kellstrom:
1 leather sling and sling bullets x20 right pouch 2
1 twin spiked chain mace left scabberd 5
1 chainmail longshirt & mail coif helm AC 5 worn 70
1 bedroll and woven prayer mat saddle bags 0.1
1 Lantern, with shutters saddle bags 9
6 Flasks of lamp oil saddle bags 0.6
6 3x wineskins and 3x waterskins Mule 6
1 gold plated weighing scales 25gp Rear pouch 25
10 Scented meditational candles and matches Habit inner pocket. 0.1
1 Leather capped scroll case, Commune spell. Right scabberd 1
5 Days of Preserved Rations Trunk 2.5
5 Days of Unpreserved Rations Trunk 1
1 50ft hemp rope, Trunk 1
8 Torch firebrands Trunk 0.3
1 Mess tins, tinderbox Trunk
1 Spade, small hammer & chisel, spare cassock Trunk 2
5 Large sacks ( body bags)... Trunk 1
1 Round shield Trunk 10

He was buried with:
1 heavy woollen habit, embroidered Baudh star on back worn
1 leather sandals worn
1 denim dungarees, linen shirts worn
1 leather belt and 3 waist pouches worn
1 book of psalms and devotional left pouch
9gp

That is 136.6 in memorial tribute, which the church gratefully accepts. In addition, Irving chips in an extra 5gp from his own share. (Bremen chipped in 9gp, buried with him, which also counts.) That awards 14xp to Bandy, Olaf, and Markd, 16xp to Irving, and 18xp to Bremen. It gives 150xp to Stirling's new PC.

You may donate additional GP for the duration of the Greenleaf festival. You can donate up to an additional 70gp each to the memorial (getting 1/2 value for you and full value for Stirling's new PC). Or, you can donate to the festival itself (gaining full value for you only) under the Living the High Life rules. You may make either of these donations through actions in the Greenleaf Festival thread and annotate them accordingly.

If that works, then this thread is closed. Please go account for your two week's time in the Tavern thread and then join the festival. :) You all return on 13 May. Bremen wakes in the Infirmary on 15 May then joins the others.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#796 Post by onlyme »

I will go on record in saying that IF Markd is the one who writes up the story, he will pay for the Bard's services and not rely on his own charisma :)

He supposedly led the mission. But, he doesn't have the social skills to know that writing the story could help him socially.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#797 Post by Zhym »

On the one hand, having Irving write up a story would be a great idea and Keehnelf would do a good job of it.

On the other hand, I can think of at least a couple of Vaul expeditions awaiting updates. I'd pay some gold not to have Keehnelf's busy schedule get any more crowded. :D

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#798 Post by Keehnelf »

Haha, indeed. Sorry for the slowness--I'm currently working on hiring the last member of my team at the office so things are a little slow as I'm in five or six hours of meetings and interviews at a time. Hoping to get everything caught up today :)

And yes, Irving is on board with that split (and appreciative of the others' generosity, even those who are less so but he just doesn't realize it), and he'd be happy to dictate a story in the best traditional heroic storytelling fashion to someone who can actually write, though I won't be doing it OOC for the aforementioned reasons :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#799 Post by Zhym »

On further consideration, Olaf has decided not to be a prat. If everyone else is pitching in for a tribute, he'll do so too.

Is the paid tribute vs. charisma-roll tribute an either/or thing—i.e., if we decide to have Irving do the roll, that's instead of paying into a fund?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#800 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It is an either (pay the bard for a guarantee), or (have one of us tell a story and roll CHA, though I am guessing you could sway the dice a bit by buying a round of drinks.

Anyhow, considering my own RL will keep me from typing up a narrative, I am happy to spend the coin. All Bremen needs to go out again is a few crossbow bolts, food and a light source (likely more torches).

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”