Chapter 11 - Back to No-Go (Knob Forest)

AleBelly
CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

Re: Chapter 11 - Back to No-Go (Knob Forest)

#81 Post by CAI4 »

Chet will sneak up on one of the ghouls, trying to kick its head off.

Init [1d6] = 2
[1d20] = 5
[1d100] = 94

:(

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#82 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny yells a mighty gnomish war cry, or perhaps screams in surprise, as she holds her fancy new holy symbol out towards the beasts. "Begone foul beasts!"

Turn undead [1d20] = 14 (That roll might not have been necessary)
Turn undead [2d6] = 7

forgot this roll:
Initiative [1d6] = 3

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#83 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion will attempt to skewer one of them.

Saving Throws were 4 and 3. Oops

Dice roller bot letting me roll trident.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#84 Post by tkrexx »

Hah? Hyde snaps to a seated position. HAH?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#85 Post by AleBelly »

Caught off-guard by the sudden attack, Yenny fumbles with her new holy symbol and Dandelion brings her trident in fighting position. Dandelion swings her trident, but her muscles begin to tense up, and her swing falters.

Dandelion init, attack, crit, dmg [1d6] = 3, [1d20+3] = 3+3 = 6, [1d100] = 43, [1d6+6] = 6+6 = 12

Her fully armed opponent hisses and garbles, half-orc flesh hanging from its teeth. It savagely rips into the would-be princess, sinking jagged yellow nails into her back as it bites into her shoulder. She bleeds profusely, slumping to the ground with wide eyes.

Undead attack on Dandelion [1d20] = 20, [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 18
Crits [1d100] = 38, [1d100] = 77, [1d100] = 91

Yenny fumbles with her symbol. She finally holds it aloft just as she is attacked again.

Undead attack on Yenny [1d20] = 16, [1d20] = 14, [1d20] = 7
Crits [1d100] = 100, [1d100] = 85, [1d100] = 96 Crit hit!
Crit hit outcome [1d100] = 85
Supposed to remove shield arm at shoulder, but I don't think a ghoul claw is capable of this...so we'll go with 2x dmg.

Her holy symbol, cold to the touch, warms as she invokes the power of Veles. Fingernails tear into her shield arm, causing her to scream out the last few words of prayer. Please save vs paralysis. The ground trembles slightly, and the unholy faces contort as the undead recoil from the mighty gnome and they turn to run. Chet's form appears as he aims a kick at a retreating ghoul, but he slips on the snow as it escapes into the darkness. The two that attacked seem to have lost interest in the party's flesh and are poised to run.

The ruckus has roused the lightly sleeping party and they are now awake.

Actions?

Date: 4 Culling, Year 42
Time: 19:06
Conditions: 33F, clear, 11 mph wind from north, 2 inches of ice-crusted snow on ground
Known Spells in Effect:
Light bearers: Campfire, 81% gibbous moon
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: Dandelion moderately wounded and paralyzed, Yenny lightly wounded

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#86 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus sits up and rolls to his feet, grabbing the scimitar and his shield and trying to get his bearings after coming from sleep. Seeing Dandelion down, Chet visible, Yenny holding her holy symbol bleeding and given where we are the make Druid moves to stand over the fallen half-orc protectively. If the ghouls are close enough he will try and stab at the nearest as it runs.
Greys Campaign.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#87 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf rolls to a sitting position, his eyes blurry and unfocused. He snaps to when he hears Yenny screaming and realizes what's happening. His fingers twitch futilely as he realizes he has nothing arcane that will help things. His eyes widen, and he digs in his satchel.

Arnulf leaps to his feet and runs to Yenny, a first aid kit in his hands. He tosses another to Tempus as he runs.

"Quick! Bind her wounds!"

Arnulf will bind Yenny's wounds with a first aid kit.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#88 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny stands, watching the ghouls' retreat with a stunned silence.

Saving throw [1d20] = 5 < 9

Initiative [1d6] = 3

She casts Spiritual Weapon if possible. Flail [1d20] = 6

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#89 Post by Zhym »

Angus's snore turns into a snort as he jolts awake. He quickly surveys the scene—Dandelion down and motionless, Yenny bleeding, Chet visible, ghouls ready to run away. He grabs his hammer and takes a defensive position, attacking only if the ghouls press their attacks again.
Does attacking turned undead "break" the turning in your game? I'm assuming so in the above post.

If so, and if Tempus's attack breaks the turn, or if a ghoul stays and attacks for any other reason, here's a roll:

Hammer +1 (THAC0 18): TH: [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7, Dmg S/L: [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3/[1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7, Crit: [1d100] = 85

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#90 Post by Nuke66 »

Galan wakes and readies himself just as the battle ends. He moves to follow the retreating ghouls, all sneaky like, just in case there might be additional dangers.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#91 Post by tkrexx »

AAAAAAAAAA!! Hyde grabs his sword and bolts to his feet, chasing the Ghouls as far as the firelight allows. He halts at the lights edge and points with his blade to the direction they fled. See? Dead Things!! They be back, too, hah? I don't like this place, no, don't like it at all. The only good Dead Thing is a dead Dead Thing.

CAI4
Ranger
Ranger

#92 Post by CAI4 »

Chet looks down at his now visible arms. "What a waste" he says, shaking his head.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#93 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote: Does attacking turned undead "break" the turning in your game? I'm assuming so in the above post.

If so, and if Tempus's attack breaks the turn, or if a ghoul stays and attacks for any other reason, here's a roll:

Hammer +1 (THAC0 18): TH: [1d20+1] = 6+1 = 7, Dmg S/L: [1d6+2] = 1+2 = 3/[1d6+1] = 6+1 = 7, Crit: [1d100] = 85
The one ghoul escaped into the night since its initiative was after Yenny's action. Missile fire won't break the turn, nor will taking an attack of opportunity (which was Chet's action last round). The undead will only fight if they are cornered or engaged in melee again, but otherwise will flee this round, repelled by Yenny's mighty power.

Also, paralysis takes place at the end of the round, so Yenny and Dandelion are both immobilized.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#94 Post by Zhym »

Would Angus get a second shot if I changed his action to firing Bloody Useless? I'm assuming I'd have to use the same attack roll I already rolled for a first bow shot, so switching his attack would only matter if the ghouls wouldn't be out of range by the time Angus got his second shot.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#95 Post by enn.in.me »

Similarly not sure how fast they move and whether Yenny's vision happens to be in the right direction to see them for another round.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#96 Post by AleBelly »

Zhym wrote:Would Angus get a second shot if I changed his action to firing Bloody Useless? I'm assuming I'd have to use the same attack roll I already rolled for a first bow shot, so switching his attack would only matter if the ghouls wouldn't be out of range by the time Angus got his second shot.
They move at 90' per round, so he'll get that first shot as normal. His second shot, at the end of the round, will happen after the undead have retreated into darkness. That, plus the -2 penalty for darkness means the second shot would be at a -6 to hit.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#97 Post by Zhym »

No need to change his action, then. :)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#98 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion doesn't do much this round.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#99 Post by AleBelly »

The remaining two ghouls flee into the night. Yenny reaches for her flail to strike one down, but she goes limp and falls into the snow next to Dandelion. Their brains will them to move, but their bodies are unable.

Arnulf snaps to action, pulling two first aid kits from his pack. He tosses one to Tempus, who has taken a defensive position next to Dandelion and applies the other to Yenny’s arm wound. 3 hp regenerated for Yenny and Dandelion

Angus pulls his hammer and takes a defensive position. Chet wonders how he missed a clean kick at a ghoul with the added gift of invisibility, and laments his return to visibility. He stands next to Angus. Hyde and Galan give chase to the edge of the campfire. Galan seems keen to go further, but is reluctant to without others Nuke, please let me know if Galan would like to give chase. They observe the ghouls’ fresh footprints in the snow.

Hellebore is slow to wake. The raven flits around nervously, but Qatkir springs to his feet, growling and protecting his halfling friend. The eagle glides down to the fire, enjoying its warmth and also protecting his diminutive friend.

Hyde warns of the undead returning, repeating his dislike for the erstwhile town of Knob Forest. Off in the distance the clacking and gibbering from the fleeing ghouls grow quieter. They may indeed return, but at least the party knows of their presence, and may plan for it. How long the paralysis lasts is another question.

DM rolls dice.
Actions? Arnulf, please deduct two first aid kits

Date: 4 Culling, Year 42
Time: 19:07
Conditions: 33F, clear, 11 mph wind from north, 2 inches of ice-crusted snow on ground
Known Spells in Effect:
Light bearers: Campfire, 81% gibbous moon
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: Dandelion moderately wounded and paralyzed, Yenny lightly wounded and paralyzed
Last edited by AleBelly on Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#100 Post by AleBelly »

It's worth mentioning that those that were sleeping aren't wearing their armor. They will have time to put it on if they expect the ghouls to return...

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”