Ill news is an ill guest

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Ill news is an ill guest

#301 Post by tooleychris »

The captain of the guard knocks on the door and enters.
"Ah, master Ryan said I'd find you here. The men will be ready to march within an hour. I've rallied a town militia to watch the gates when we le..."
Another soldier bursts in and reports to the captain, short of breath: "Sir, a returning patrol reports killing a hellish dog on the road. They say when it breathed its last it...." he lowers his voice to a whisper "Turned into Lady Angela..."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#302 Post by tooleychris »

"That can't be. We left the lady in the keep, gravely wounded. " says the captain confused.

GreyWolfVT
Wants a special title like Scott

#303 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm equipping the new items as fast as possible and quickly thanking the merchant "Lets be off then there be sorcery at work ere. An we best go tend ta it." he tells the captain "I'll go ta see this dog they killed an someone best go tend ta the lady we left back in tha keep. An who'ere is comin wit me best get equipped fast." then the dwarf warrior rushes off to see this demon dog that the militia claims to have killed.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
― Paul S. Kemp, Shadowbred
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."
― Paul S. Kemp, Twilight Falling

Algrim Tirion Dwarf - HarnMaser
Dalin Silverhand Dwarf Thief - Barrowmaze
Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion
Roan Gravelbeard Dwarf Fighter - Hedge's Greyhawk Adventures
Torvik Shadowhood Dwarf Fighter/Thief - Nocturne
DM - GreyWolf's Mystara Adventures - AD&D 2e

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#304 Post by Blazeguard »

Thorgrim hefts the new axe with a satisfied grin. "Many thanks, sir. This will definitely help me rid this world of evil."

He glances at the armor, "I think I'll stick with my current armor but you say you have shields? I'll have a quick look at those if you don't mind."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#305 Post by tooleychris »

"There's no lack of fighters come to earn coin here. " says the merchant. "Shields may be our largest stock item, besides elixers."
He opens a door revealing a narrow room whose walls are lined with everything from bucklers to tower shields.
"What size do you prefer?"
Another soldier runs in and addresses the captain:
"Sir, there's a disturbance at the keep. I just saw many men run off to the north shouting. "
"Well lets go and see." says the captain. He turns to the party and says "Make haste good people. We march soon."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#306 Post by Blazeguard »

With a practiced eye Thorgrim quickly glances over the shields and hefts a couple until he finds a medium-sized shield that feels comfortable.

He sighs, "If'n I had more time I'd take a closer look but it sounds like we're needed elsewhere. Many thanks again!"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#307 Post by Dram »

Craxzus quickly puts on the S.Sword and Dagger. These will do. I wish time was on our side, but we must be off. Thank you good sir. Throm I shall travel with you.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

GreyWolfVT

#308 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm "Aye we be needed elsewhere and with haste apparently." the dwarf rushes off after the captain and soldier.
“All men did have darkness. Some wore it in the form of horns. Some bore it invisibly as rot in their souls.”
"If good people won’t do the hard things, evil people will always win, because evil people will do anything."

Elwood 'Dug' The Bounty Hunter Dwarf Swashbuckler - Hedge's Adventures in the World of Golarion

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#309 Post by tooleychris »

"A good eye, master dwarf." the merchant says to Thorgrim. "That shield is indestructible and provides a better guard while weighing less than a buckler. Use it well."
The party dons its new gear and chases after the captain.
keep army.JPG
keep army.JPG (96.39 KiB) Viewed 246 times
You run past the mustering troops and cross the moat bridge toward the right of the keep where you find Eirenaios and several guards standing over a badly carved corpse of the demon dog.
keep dog.JPG
keep dog.JPG (77.97 KiB) Viewed 246 times
"What fuckery is this?" shouts the captain.
"Was not the demon dog killed outside the gates? How many demons haunt us?"
"Aye, sir." says a guard. "I swear twas the same beast we killed earlier that changed form ta the lady once it breathed its last. The same! I swear it!"
"And what of the lady in the keep then?" the captain asks Eirenaios.
(glad we're all back together)

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#310 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Eirenaios trying his best to catch his breath, he is exhausted to the point of passing out, "The lady in the keep is what you see before you, the apperintice's words made me doubt the lady in the xastle. Upon closer inspection with a useful spell, the lady turned back into its true form which I barely stopped from running away", he pauses and looks on to the forest, "I think the demon never possessed Lady Angela, he simply mimicked her appearance tgis whole time, and when we encountered them at the small room, I think he shapeshifted Lady Angela to look like him......and it seems like he did fool us...she was killed by her own men"

Eirenaios peers at the dead body of the demon dog as he says to the closest guard, "Call for the priest, he could probably tell us a lot about this"
Does Eirenaios know wether this is the demon they are looking for or just a lackey of his?
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

GreyWolfVT

#311 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm scratching his beard as usual when thinking "Eh? Well bout sounds right fer trickster demons though don't it? Hidin as someone else."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#312 Post by Blazeguard »

Thorgrim screws up his face with confusion, trying to sort everything out. "So if Lady Angela has been killed, who's in charge now? We've still got a hoard of orcs gettin' ready to overrun us and we need to make sure everyone's safe before we can afford to mourn."

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#313 Post by tooleychris »

(Eirenaios knows the bergast is sent to this realm to sew discord and to feed. It doesn't work with other bergast so this is probably the demon you sought.)
The old priest joins those gathered and speaks: "Tis a pity the fiend was slain." he says shaking his head. "I would have liked to study it further, but slain it is. Do we have any idea why it went to such lengths to remain behind when its hoard of orcs await its return?"

"The Lady Angela is...was a voice of the Duke. Never really in charge. I have and still answer to Master Ryan." says the captain. "He asked earlier that the orc camp be scouted by you." he says looking to the party. "But we've had one delay after another. The men will be mustered and ready in about two hours. We're still working on the town militia. What will you do?"

GreyWolfVT

#314 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm shrugs "Well there any mercs round ere? We may have ta enlist em if there are any. But scoutin we can do, know if it gets hairy we'll be fightin and headin ta safer ground, er else we'll be overtaken by shear numbers of them pig faced vermin."

GreyWolfVT

#315 Post by GreyWolfVT »

Throm shrugs then replies "We can go scoutin fer yah. Howe'er yah might wanna see if there are any mercs running about these parts an hire em fer the fightin. Minda ya if we get attacked we're gonna fight an have ta retreat since we'd be overrun by them pig faced vermin. So best be ready if we come a runnin with a hoard on our tails."

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#316 Post by Blazeguard »

Thorgrim's eyes light up. "Ya know, that's a great idea. We could head out and draw them back into an ambush. Is there any place around here that would make for a good ambush spot?"

thesniperknight1
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#317 Post by thesniperknight1 »

Eirenaios who is now certain that the demon is dead breathes in deeply before passing out on the ground out of exhaustion.
Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” ― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

tooleychris
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#318 Post by tooleychris »

The captain looks to Thorgrim "This town is surrounded by mountain. It lies on the plains between its roots and is basically surrounded by higher ground. It was made for commerce, not defense. While their are plenty of boulders not enough to hide an army. Even most of the trees surrounding the town have been chopped for a clear view of the surrounding lands. "
He thinks to himself. "Is it unlikely these orcs know the demon is dead? Who knows when they meant to strike? If they are waiting for its orders, we may have an advantage."
Eirenaios collapses from exhaustion. It has been long since there was any rest. A guard standing near half catches him and pulls him against the keeps outer wall to rest.
"I hadn't thought of your travels before arriving." the captain says to the rest of the party. "Perhaps you should all find some rest. The adventurers guild no doubt has mercs who could scout for us. What say you?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#319 Post by Dram »

Craxzus- I cantake my bird form and scout around the village see if they have any scouts about?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Blazeguard
Ranger
Ranger

#320 Post by Blazeguard »

"Aye, this may buy us some time but...", Thorgrim shakes his head not seemingly convinced. "It does look like our mage needs to recharge though and a little nap probably wouldn't hurt the rest of us either." He pauses, "If you can do some initial scouting, I'll try to catch a few winks. Wake me...us, up as soon as they return. We can't give them any time to mobilize."

Return to “Silverymoon”