Anyone up for fighting Soviets Red-Dawn style circa 1987?

I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

Re: Anyone up for fighting Soviets Red-Dawn style circa 1987

#21 Post by Scott308 »

I'm kind of leaning towards using d6. That would make for a nice change of pace from most games on here.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by max_vale »

Hey peoples;

Okay, I PM'd Tonixx a few days ago about setting up boards for this game and he said he was traveling and would have the boards up Monday night. Obviously that hasn't happened, so I'm guessing his travels are still going on/were more exhausting than he thought/something along these lines. I just PM'd him again, just in case he forgot about us. :)

So, with Nuke picking Raffy; my buddy Rose (assuming he's in; I know he just back from a vacation himself) will play Jenny. Looks like we're all set.

As for the characters; I'll have them all completely statted out and if anyone has any major issues/concerns about their character's abilities, let me know and we might be able to switch a few things around.

If nobody has an issue with d6; I'll go ahead and start fleshing out characters that way and for those of you unfamiliar with the system (or even for those who are; some of my house-rules using it); here's some quick notes about how it works. This will be something of an info-dump, so apologies for its disorganized style.

In essence; characters have 6 Attributes; all listed with a Dice code....i.e. DEX (Dexterity) 3D; KNO (Knowledge) 2D+2; etc. Under each Attribute are a number of skills.....which also are represented by a Dice Code.....I.E. -Firearms: 4D+2.....which falls under DEX. All skills listed under an attribute default to the Attributes DICE code if no points are placed in them to improve them. In other words; if you have a DEX attribute of 3D....no skill listed under DEX will ever be worse than 3D.

ALL dice are six sided (hence d6); and the range for character attributes is 2D (lowest) to 4D (highest) with a system of 'pips' between whole numbers. There are 3 'pips' in 1 whole Die. The range goes like this:

2D
2D+1
2D+2
3D
3D+1
3D+2
4D

The 6 attributes are: DEX (Dexterity); KNO (Knowledge); MECH (Mechanical aptitude....basically, driving, piloting, working weapons like Tank cannons, Fighter Jet missiles, etc.); PER (Perception.....which covers alertness, stealthy skills AND Charisma skills); TECH (Technical aptitude.....fixing things, computer-fu, etc.)

When the dice are rolled (for anything); all results are added together. A roll of 4D that results in 2, 3, 3, 5 gives a total of 13. A roll of 3D+2 that results in 2, 6, 4 gives a total of 14 (including the +2 after the 3D). These results are then listed against a Difficulty number and if the total equals or excels the Difficulty nubmer, success is achieved. If the total is 2X or 3X as high; even greater success is achieved. Skills are listed just like attributes but have no limit...they can be 8D, 10D, 12D+2; etc.

For frame of reference; a 2D Attribute is considered average (non PCs can have Attributes lower than 2D) while 4D is world-class. For skills, 2D is basically untrained, 3D is average ability, 4D is above average, 5D is good, 6D is very good, 7D is Excellent and anything at 8D or more is phenomenal. The default Difficulty numbers are:

5: VERY EASY This would be hitting a non-moving or unaware target at Point-Blank range, Extremely common knowledge, Driving a car on an empty road at 25 mph, etc.

10: EASY Things like hitting a non-moving or unaware target at Short range, Common knowledge, Driving a car (after you passed your Driver's test) on a local road with light traffic at 45 mph, etc.

15: MODERATE This would include things like hitting a non-moving target at Medium range; Uncommon knowledge, Driving a car at 65+ mph on a busy highway, etc.

20: DIFFICULT Stuff like hitting a non-moving target at Long range; Rare knowledge, Driving at 90 mph on a busy highway, etc.

30: HEROIC Stuff like hitting a target at Extreme Range...in high-wind....on a moonless night, the kind of knowledge a handful of people in the world could grasp; Driving at 100 mph on a busy highway.....the WRONG way, etc.

Characters may attempt any number of actions a round, but for each action after the first the skill code is reduced by 1D. Example; Joe Schmo is shooting at some Soviet paratroopers with his trusty Mossberg Pump-action shotgun. He has a Firearms skill of 5D+2. If he shoots once; he rolls 5D+2. If he shoots twice, he rolls 4D+2 for each shot. If he shoots 3 times, he rolls 3D+2 for each shot, etc. You cannot go down to less than 1D to roll.

Characters will also have HERO POINTS they can choose to spend in any round before making any rolls. For that round all attributes and skills get a one round +3D bonus to all attributes and skills for those Rambo/WOLVERINES! moments. :)

Okay, more to come including what a character sheet will look like, with all skills on it.

This kinda making sense to anyone? Sorry if not....I'm happy to answer questions/concerns here or in PMs. I'll get the pre-gens built soon.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#23 Post by Dogma »

The d6 option is good with me. I like the reducing die mechanics for the extra actions. Gives you choices with a defined risk/reward.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Dram »

The D6 option sounds good to me.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Monsieur Rose
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Monsieur Rose »

Sorry I'm late to the party. Jenny looks great to me, can't wait to get started.

max_vale
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by max_vale »

Alright! Tonixx has set up the initial board, so I'm starting some threads and will be putting up the needed info on Background, rules and characters over the next couple of days and we should be starting the game this week. Whoo-hoo!

Return to “Looking for players or games”