Chapter 6: The Iron Door mission

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 6: The Iron Door mission

#381 Post by drpete »

Torgan agrees with the plan. Stubbornly, instead of being carried, he removes most of his gear, and asks the two healthy dwarves to support him as he tries to walk on his shrivelled legs. He leaves a set of chainmail, offering it to anyoone who wants it, a warhammer and a crossbow. He practices trying to move this way, and with most of his gear shed, he may be able to keep up with the other wounded.

Torgyr throws more oil into the fire, to intensify it and keep it burning. There's no overt activity behind the fire, but occasionally there is a sign of a kobold poking its head out before retreating.

Going back to Guran's cave and searching the bodies, you find that the kobold guards had leather armor and spears of unremarkable make.

Guran himself is dressed in dwarven chain mail, and has a warhammer. They seem of exceptionally fine make... you recognize them both as being of adamantine steel, the same material used to make Quinn's sword Blackthorn. The warhammer has an elaborate design carved in it, which is recognizably dwarvish.

There are also three fairly small chests, each of which could hold about 2 stone worth of material.

Torgyr hears a feminine voice in his head:
"Ooooh, we've been watching you for a while now, Torgyr. Such a noble soul."

"Will you lead these men and women to their deaths, or can we make an arrangement? Non-aggression, maybe mutual aid... I help you, you help me. Which do you prefer?"

"You wouldn't take it, but I could offer you power... see in the dark, lightning reflexes, maybe... or knowledge... the nature of dwarves, maybe? I won't insult you with that offer, though... unless it tempts you...? Think about it, do you want knowledge and riches, or are you here for the blood of your brothers, the kobolds?"
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

Quinn will use his spear as a crutch and hobble off. He could carry a lantern or torch to be useful but not do much else, so will fall in line with the dwarves helping Morgan.

let me know if he needs to ditch any stuff from his pack.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#383 Post by kalstone »

Solaine says, "Let's strip the armor, take the warhammer and carry the chests out."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#384 Post by drpete »

Stirling wrote:Quinn

Quinn will use his spear as a crutch and hobble off. He could carry a lantern or torch to be useful but not do much else, so will fall in line with the dwarves helping Morgan.

let me know if he needs to ditch any stuff from his pack.
Quinn's normal max encumbrance is 21 stone (20+strength adjustment). At up to 1/4 of this (5 stone) he could move at 120, at up to 1/3 of this (7 stone) he could move at 90, and at up to half of this (10 stone) he can move at 60. Above this, he would move at 30. It looks like you've got about 9 stone, so you would be moving at 60 normally

Because he's suffered a knee injury, his max encumbrance is reduced by 6, to 15 stone, and until he's had bed rest, he's going to be moving at half speed, so...
up to 4 stone: 60
up to 5 stone: 45
up to 8 stone: 30
above this: 15

So if you want to go at 30 like the other walking wounded, you'll need to jettison a few things to get under 8 stone.
Here's a breakdown as I worked it out from your stuff:

armor & helm: 3 stone
shield 1 stone
spear: 1 stone
full wineskin: 3/6 stone
sword: 1/6 stone
3 silvered javelins: 3/6 stone
money: 2/6 stone
sleeping bag 1/6
karrimat: 1/6
3 days rations: 3/6
mess tins: 1/6
bandages & first aid stuff: 1 stone
explorer's kit (?): 1/6
hunting dagger: 1/6
war mask: 1/6
9 stone

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#385 Post by barkman »

"Yes, the mother of the kobolds is talking to me. Offering me,us? Power and to be a friend inside Dwimmermount"

Randolpho nods at Audi and Emm to stay on the line with Ranulf and Zim while he helps search the room.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Stirling »

Quinn sorted at 7.5 stone. Will lighten load by sharing the lamp oil, wine and food so I can manage to carry the lantern.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr shakes his head a little, trying to clear the voice out from between his ears.

"You want to talk to me? Come and do it face to face, and you'll have my answer though you may not like it."

Torgyr hefts the war hammer and looks at it admiringly.

"A fine weapon. Let's take it along for him in case he recovers enough of his strength to use it again some day." He looks to the dwarves guarding the entrance. "Can one of you make better use of his armor? It would be ashamed to see such protection tossed aside when it would be better worn in battle."

Torgyr helps pack up the chests and war hammer and makes to retreat.

Man. Nice dwarven chain, just his size...aaaand he's limited to leathers. It's tough being a Delver. Ha! :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#388 Post by drpete »

Zorroroaster wrote:Torgyr shakes his head a little, trying to clear the voice out from between his ears.

"You want to talk to me? Come and do it face to face, and you'll have my answer though you may not like it."

Torgyr hefts the war hammer and looks at it admiringly.

"A fine weapon. Let's take it along for him in case he recovers enough of his strength to use it again some day." He looks to the dwarves guarding the entrance. "Can one of you make better use of his armor? It would be ashamed to see such protection tossed aside when it would be better worn in battle."

Torgyr helps pack up the chests and war hammer and makes to retreat.

Man. Nice dwarven chain, just his size...aaaand he's limited to leathers. It's tough being a Delver. Ha! :lol:
Yeah, you guys are mostly not able to improve your AC with the armor, except Emm, though it's a LOT lighter than plate.

On the hammer question, most of you could use that... are you suggesting giving it to Torgan? They are not focused on the gear, so much as just in getting out alive.

Who is going to carry the chests? At 2 stone each, they're not light...

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr suggested someone carry Torgan's hammer in case he wanted it later...it was more a gesture of respect than anything. But, if he's giving it away and it's an obvious upgrade to Torgyr's current hammer, he'd gladly use it.

Torgyr can carry one of the chests. He's already at 8 stone, so 2 more won't change his movement rate.
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by drpete »

Oh, sorry... maybe I said this wrong. Torgan has a regular warhammer and chain mail he's leaving behind (or that you can take or carry). They are nice craftsmanship, but they don't make you go "hrmmmmmm". Guran, the dead bad dwarf, has a very nice set of warhammer and chainmail that are made of adamantine steel that you can also choose to dispose of as you like.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Zorroroaster »

Ha! I went back and reread it. I don't know where my brain is these days. Totally my fault for not comprehending basic English. In that case I think we'd better take both of those things, if we can! Torgyr could swap out his hammer for that one, thus avoiding an increase in encumbrance. That would just leave the mail for someone to carry. Anyone? :lol: If Torgyr carries one chest, that leaves the second chest and the chain mail to deal with.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#392 Post by barkman »

I think Randolpho can carry the chain mail, who would be best to take a chest? Zim, Audi or Em? I'll give the arbelest back to Ranulf, and grab Torgan's crossbow if it still needs to be carried out.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by drpete »

List of all the stuff (I think)
A) Chest A (2 stone) - Solaine
B) Chest B (2 stone) - Torgyr
C) Chest C (2 stone) - Emm
D )Guran's fancy chainmail (3 stone) -Audi
E) Torgan's chainmail (4 stone) - Keldo
F) Dead dwarf's chainmail (4 stone) - Audi
G) Guran's fancy warhammer - Torgyr
H) Torgan's warhammer - Tholo
I) Dead dwarf's warhammer
J) Quinn's oil flask
K) Quinn's wine - drunk
L) Quinn's meal - eaten
M) 8 kobold spears
N) 8 kobold leather armors
O) Dead giant spider
P) Torgan's crossbow - Randolpho
Q) Dead dwarf's crossbow - Audi
R) Torgyr's warhammer
S) Audi's Scale Mail

Since there's some confusion, let me know which of these things people take, and where it goes (remember you need bags or packs, or to hold them in your hands... packs can hold 4 stone, small bags 2, and large bags 6).

Emm and Audi have empty packs. Audi could use an armor upgrade, and would swap out her armor for any of the chain suits, with your ok. The more you want to take, the more you will need to ditch here, I think.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#394 Post by kalstone »

We're moving at 60' right? Solaine can take one chest and still move at 60'.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Stirling »

Drink the wine eat the food.

Animal husbandry on the spider poison.

Lantern has full flask in it.

Go back via the iron door or get back to camp, injured rest whilst others return.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#396 Post by Dogma »

I think Ranulf can carry a chest at half speed also.

Of the rest of the stuff, at the very least we need to take Guran's chainmail and hammer (which Torgyr already carries). Audi should upgrade amour now...maybe the dead dwarfs (with permission from the dwarves). Do we want to take Torgan's stuff as courtesy?

The leather armor and spears we can leave. Maybe chop them up first so they can;t reuse them? Toss them into the fire?

Are the dwarves fully loaded? Would they take the dead dwarves crossbow and hammer?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#397 Post by kalstone »

We don't have long before the oil burns out. We probably should just grab what we can carry and go.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by drpete »

The healthy dwarves can take the crossbow and hammer. One could 5ake his armor, too, with some rearranging, but it would definitely mean travelling at 30.

Extracting venom takes a day, but some parts could be cut off if you want, but though Randolpho knows the names of some parts that would be valuable, you guys don't really have the skill and equipment to harvest magical components from spiders without spoiling them. You can pull out the fangs which would be worth a few silver, though. You don't really have time, but Emm could butcher it (for meat) in a few hours.

barkman
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#399 Post by barkman »

Let's put the kobold spears on the fire, same with the leather if it will burn. Render them unusable, at least. We do have more oil we can toss on the fire. If the dwarves don't mind, let's upgrade Em's armour to the (non-magical) chain. grab the adamantine armour and war hammer as spoils, all the chests. Feast on Quinn's food, then burn it? ( or leave it as a distraction?) and move at the 60 feet per round carrying as much as we can. I'll carry a dwarven crossbow until we leave them to upgrade my firepower. Quinn moves to the middle of the marching order holding the lantern.

We can try and open the chests here if we want, see if it is worth even hauling the stuff out, or if they still have room?

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#400 Post by kalstone »

How long will the oil stay lit? Are we going with the two rounds for thrown oil or the full turn for poured oil? If it's the two rounds, then we have 20 seconds to grab everything and go.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”