Let's build a ship...

Antman9
Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Let's build a ship...

#1 Post by Marullus »

Jack wrote:
Antman9 wrote:do we want to push the start date a few days/a week??? I wouldn't want to push much more than that. I have no problem with those players roleplaying as they finish their characters either.
I'm fine with that. I think we can discuss the kind of ship some more, because while I really like some of the stealth mission ideas, I still prefer it mostly being the "people history stepped on" from the series, to the mighty "done the impossible"s from the movie.
New thread! Lets discuss the kind of ship more. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Let's build a ship...

#2 Post by Marullus »

Jack wrote:The Serenity RPG and its ship book has lots of good info. I have highly detailed plans for a Firefly and the Aces & Eights, and for some more inspiration I'm attaching some ship scale images, and an image and plans of a Bumblebee class ship.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Marullus wrote:
Jack wrote:If we choose the Road runner class Independent blockade runner ship, see if we can replace the "Catch me if you can" trigger: "Spend 1 PP to step up a complication inflicted on a chasing ship."
with the "Rippin' and fixin' montage" trigger from the Kintsugi class salvage ship:
"Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a timed action involving repairing a ship or gathering salvage. For each of your rolls during the timed action, your crew may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a PP for it. If the reroll is also a 1, it can't be rerolled."?

Keeping:
[] Quick off the ground: spend 1 PP to double engines when launching from a planetary surface.
Jack wrote:These are some of my favorite options for the ship:

Off the grid 8
Where did she go?: spend 1 PP to create a No record found d8 asset when trying to prevent someone from tracking you through the Cortex.
Things go smooth…er: take or step up a complication related to your ship's missing identification to reroll a die when dealing with the law.

Cobbled together 8
Frankenstein's boat: spend 1 PP to switch the die ratings of Engines and Systems for the rest of the scene.
She's got class, lots of class: spend 1 PP to create an Unknown Ship Class d8 asset when someone tries to identify your ship.

Signature assets:

Crybaby 8
This device is perfect for those who've turned to a life of crime. The crybaby is a modified satellite that sends out a fake distress call to distract the law. Unlike most other signature assets, the crybaby can be deployed far from the ship and then retrieved for later use when the coast is clear.

Electromagnetic shielding 8
Your systems have been upgraded with advanced shielding and programs designed to keep hackers out and your digital and heat signature in. When power is shut down to minimal safe amounts, it's nearly impossible to detect your ship from a distance.
Is that about where we are at?
Antman9 wrote:Looks fairly decent so far. Kind of an interesting mix we have going here. The Road runner class Independent blockade runner ships "were confiscated by the Alliance and decommissioned. Now, mechanics and salvagers can find these vessels in spaceship junkyards throughout the ’Verse." So that should be interesting given the whole "we aren't pirates, we are Alliance privateers? I can dig that. Seems fair - an investigator, a former Alliance officer, a former Alliance ship mechanic, and a captain with a rebellious streak but legal licenses." That should make for some interesting interactions in the 'Verse.

Privateer: An armed ship owned and officered by private individuals holding a government commission and authorized for use in war, especially in the capture of enemy merchant shipping.

Which brings us to Marullus' "What kind of jobs are we expecting, then?" portion. As Marullus puts it, the party is kinda pro-law, kinda anti-Alliance, kinda anti-corruption, which leaves the crew sorta in the middle between the bad guys, the little guys just trying to scrape by, and the Alliance.
  • The anti-corruption side might naturally drive the crew toward helping the little guy, to a lesser or greater degree, as long as it benefits the crew too??? (might even cause tension within the crew).
  • So what will the crew get out of it, personally for each crewmember (very important for each player to decide)???
  • This would leave the crew doing jobs for pay; say contract work, that may or may not be against the alliance, might be on the up and up, but might also draw the attention of the undesirables (as in bad guys and corrupt politicians/Alliance).
  • What would be 1-3 long term goals of the crew, or should those be left to fate/chance/luck??? (each crewmember may/should have their own).
  • Maybe the crew chooses one or more jobs that might be under the table, so to speak, in order to accomplish some goal, or to move toward a goal.
  • Is the crew as a whole, and on the individual level, trying to do good, or something else???
  • How would the Privateers element fit in? Is the crew straddling the line between the Alliance, even though some of the members have a bad taste/blood/experience with the Alliance, and may possibly have a hard time if the Alliance knows who they are, and everything/everyone else???
Just stuff to consider.

Road Runner Class Independent Blockade Runner
Ship Name:
  • Engines 10
    Hull 6
    Systems 8
Crew Dice: Crewmember uses own Skill and Specialties when operating the ship.

These blockade runners were manufactured by Weyland-Yutani during the Unification War and were used primarily to break through Alliance blockades surrounding besieged worlds. These ships land vertically in order to allow a quick take-off if they are discovered on the ground. After the War, they were confiscated by the Alliance and decommissioned. Now, mechanics and salvagers can find these vessels in spaceship junkyards throughout the ’Verse.
  • Gain 1 Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.
  • Catch Me If You Can!: Spend 1 PP to step up a Complication inflicted on another ship that is chasing you. (Replaced with Rippin' and Fixin' montage)
  • Rippin’ and Fixin’ Montage: Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a Timed Action involving repairing a ship or gathering salvage. For each of your rolls during the Timed Action, your Crew may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a Plot Point for that die. If a die comes up as a 1 when rerolled, it may not be rerolled a second time.
  • Quick Off the Ground: Spend 1 PP to double Engines when launching from a planetary surface.
I think the Rippin’ and Fixin’ Montage might be more useful, and I’m not opposed to switching those.

Off the Grid 8
For whatever reason, your ship never got properly registered. Even when you file all the necessary forms, they don’t get processed right.
    • Where Did She Go?: Spend 1 PP to create a No Record Found d8 Asset when trying to prevent someone from tracking you through the Cortex.
    • Things Go Smooth…er: Take or step up a Complication related to your ship’s missing identification to reroll a die when dealing with the Law.
Cobbled Together 8
Your ship was built from salvage parts and space junk. She looks kinda ugly, but she sure can surprise folk when she needs to.
    • Frankenstein’s Boat: Spend 1 PP to switch the die ratings of Engines and Systems for the rest of the scene.
    • She’s Got Class, Lots of Class: Spend 1 PP to create an Unknown Ship Class d8 Asset when someone tries to identify your ship.
Signature Assets
Electromagnetic Shielding 8
Your systems have been upgraded with advanced shielding and programs designed to keep hackers out and your digital and heat signature in. When power is shut down to minimal safe amounts, it’s nearly impossible to detect your ship from a distance.

History:

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Ship #1: The Roadrunner/Kintsugi Hybrid
First, the modified Roadrunner above.

This is a relatively small ship which we've Frankensteined with the Kintsugi Class Salvage Ship: "Although quite large, the bulk of these vessels serve mainly to anchor smaller ships in place while the crew dismantles, strips, or repairs them."

That's kind of a cool idea; we don't have the bulk of the larger Kintsugi, but we've taken the cut-and-repair equipment and mounted it. So, I see us as more like a remora: we attach to the hull of an immobilized ship to do our salvage ops. If that's our aim, then I think we take this as the second signature asset, which ensures the other ship is immobilized.
EMP Weapons (d8)
Your ship is equipped with electromagnetic pulse missiles and bombs capable of disabling another boat’s electronics. These weapons require Alliance registration and give crews the chance to take a ship without destroying it.
What factors would lead us to choosing this ship? How would it fit in our missions, and what would it drive us towards? We are: missing from records so hard to research, shielded from emissions so hard to detect, uniquely built so as to be hard to identify once detected, can disable other ships while they are confused, have the hardware required to disassemble/"salvage" parts of their ship from the outside (which they might not be happy about if currently occupied), and the legal licenses to execute both warrants of arrest if the other ship is a criminal bounty as well as legal salvage license rights if the other ship is a derelict.

Not bad.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Ship #2: The Orion Class Enforcer
Orion Class Alliance Enforcement Craft
Engines 10 Hull 6 Systems 8
Roughly the size of a Firefly class transport, these patrol craft are quick and well armed. They are primarily used by Alliance-sanctioned local law enforcement rather than the military. Those who fly these ships will seek to disable targeted vessels with electromagnetic pulse missiles and bombs rather than destroy them.
  • I Like My Circuits Fried: Spend 1 PP to step up a Complication you just inflicted related to disabling electronics.
  • You Can Run, But You Can’t Hide: Spend 1 PP to step up or double Systems when trying to track or identify someone or a ship.
I like this for the background... we need to explain HOW we ended up in an Orion. With this distinction, the records disappeared and the ship came to Percy, which sounds like the assistance of the Seht Corporation when they gave him his "loans."
Off the Grid (d8)
For whatever reason, your ship never got properly registered. Even when you file all the necessary forms, they don’t get processed right.
  • Where Did She Go?: Spend 1 PP to create a No Record Found d8 Asset when trying to prevent someone from tracking you through the Cortex.
  • Things Go Smooth…er: Take or step up a Complication related to your ship’s missing identification to reroll a die when dealing with the Law.
So, this model is already armed, but this could make it exceptional.
Armed and Dangerous 8
When you’re being attacked by pirates out in the black, the only ship you can count on is you. And if some sommbitch decides to bite you, well… you can bite back, too.
  • Banned Modifications: Take a You Can’t Have Those d8 Complication when the Alliance discovers that your ship has been illegally altered to gain 1 PP.
  • Y’All Are Outgunned: Spend 1 PP to double Systems when fighting a ship that lacks your firepower.
An interesting note about EMP weapons... they require registration. But with Off the Grid, your registration keeps getting lost. ;)
EMP Weapons (d8)
Your ship is equipped with electromagnetic pulse missiles and bombs capable of disabling another boat’s electronics. These weapons require Alliance registration and give crews the chance to take a ship without destroying it.
Warheads 8
Military captains and veteran Browncoats who opt for boats with a lot of firepower make sure they have High-Velocity Tachyon Rockets or warheads like the XT-15 torpedoes on board. 

OR...

Grapplers 8
Most grapplers are large, magnetic clamps that are fired at a second spaceship with the intent to attack. Once secured, the clamp retracts and pulls the second ship closer to the first.
Ship #3: The Orion Class Operator
Orion Class Alliance Enforcement Craft
Roughly the size of a Firefly class transport, these patrol craft are quick and well armed. They are primarily used by Alliance-sanctioned local law enforcement rather than the military. Those who fly these ships will seek to disable targeted vessels with electromagnetic pulse missiles and bombs rather than destroy them.
  • I Like My Circuits Fried: Spend 1 PP to step up a Complication you just inflicted related to disabling electronics.
  • You Can Run, But You Can’t Hide: Spend 1 PP to step up or double Systems when trying to track or identify someone or a ship.
Same idea: the records disappeared and the ship came to Percy, which sounds like the assistance of the Seht Corporation when they gave him his "loans." If it is a Defanged Tiger, it is also a more legit decomissioned ship purchase. I like the Defanged Tiger - we can still have EMP weapons but lack real firepower, and the sped-up computing is awesome.
Defanged Tiger 8
Once a combat vessel, this ship’s original military grade weapons have since been removed and outlawed. If’n your boat is caught with weapons of those kind, the Alliance will throw you in the brink. Lucky for you, the removal of weapons control has sped up your computer system.
  • Mean, Lean, Computing Machine: Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a Timed Action involving your computer system. For each of your rolls during the Timed Action, you may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a Plot Point for that die. If a die comes up as a 1 when rerolled, it may not be rerolled a second time.
  • Hear Me Roar: Spend 1 PP to create a I’m a Mean Ship, Rawr! d8 Asset when trying to bluff your way out of a situation.
    Former
Since we have legit licenses and a defanged Orion is a legit ship, we could hav Built for Stealth instead of Off the Grid.
Built for Stealth (d8)
You’ve painted your ship black, lined it with thermal insulators, and installed directional communications arrays. Your boat is like a needle in a haystack. But shutting down your short-range radar makes it easier for others to get the jump on you.
  • Passive Sensors Only: Take a Surprised d8 Complication on the first round of combat with another ship to gain 1 PP.
  • Run Silent: Step back Systems for the rest of the scene to create an Exceptional Stealth d8 Asset.
EMP Weapons (d8)
Tractor Beam Emitter 8
Why get into a spacesuit when you can grab rocks, salvage, ships and other knickknacks from the warm comfort of your ship?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

So, Jack also convinced me that we could be cool AND be in a Firefly...

Ship #4: Bad-Ass Firefly With a Grudge
Clearly, you got this ship as a result of a bounty, while taking down the previous criminal owners. It was a hell of a lot of smooth talk to get it reregistered to you, but the Alliance bought your story about "doing good in the 'Verse" with it and such...
Firefly Class Transport 8
Engines 10 Hull 8 Systems 6
Designed as a multi-purpose boat, this mid-bulk ship is extremely versatile and can be used as a salvager out in deep space or to haul passengers from one town to another. Though variations exist, all Firefly ships have the capacity to take off and land vertically and are engineered with certain fixed compartments: cargo hold, engine room, quarters, and bridge.
  • Connected Operations: When rolling to fix a ship’s Complication, you may step up the difficulty die to fix two Complications at once. Step up any Complication that results from this roll.
  • Everybody Has One: When you create an Asset or take a Complication related to everybody knowing your kind of ship, step it up.
Armed and Dangerous 8
When you’re being attacked by pirates out in the black, the only ship you can count on is you. And if some sommbitch decides to bite you, well… you can bite back, too.
  • Banned Modifications: Take a You Can’t Have Those d8 Complication when the Alliance discovers that your ship has been illegally altered to gain 1 PP.
  • Y’All Are Outgunned: Spend 1 PP to double Systems when fighting a ship that lacks your firepower.
Bad Reputation 8
You know that the previous owners of your ship were members of a criminal organization. You just didn’t realize how bad until you realized folks get mighty ornery whenever they spot your boat in the sky.
  • Revenge Is a Dish Best Served Cold: Take or step up a Complication involving your boat’s nasty reputation to gain 1 PP.
  • Yes, It Is That Ship: When you’re tryin’ to intimidate someone with your ship, spend 1 PP to create a Scary Ship d8 Asset.
EMP Weapons (d8)
Warheads 8
Military captains and veteran Browncoats who opt for boats with a lot of firepower make sure they have High-Velocity Tachyon Rockets or warheads like the XT-15 torpedoes on board. 
Okay, that is four options just to kick off discussion. I couldn't sleep. :oops:

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#7 Post by Jack »

I don't think even bounty hunters will be allowed to have armed ships - assault rifles for personal protection would be fine, but I think the Alliance will blow you to smithereens before even asking you why you have an armed tank or ship with weapons, especially since there are still disgruntled Browncoats around.

Does Milly and Edmund need shuttles of their own, meaning we need a 3rd shuttle as a lifeboat?
Milly: interstellar, very fancy?
Edmund: interstellar, stealthy?
Lifeboat: short range, able to enter and leave atmo?

We'll definitely need a forklift, and possibly a little trailer like the mule had on the show.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Jack wrote:I don't think even bounty hunters will be allowed to have armed ships - assault rifles for personal protection would be fine, but I think the Alliance will blow you to smithereens before even asking you why you have an armed tank or ship with weapons, especially since there are still disgruntled Browncoats around.
To the contrary, the Alliance delegates work; I think it is about licensing. The Orion class ship that I used above is explicitly an armed ship that non-military are permitted:

Orion Class Alliance Enforcement Craft (8)
Roughly the size of a Firefly class transport, these patrol craft are
quick and well armed. They are primarily used by Alliance-sanctioned
local law enforcement rather than the military. Those who fly these
ships will seek to disable targeted vessels with electromagnetic
pulse missiles and bombs rather than destroy them.

I think it is feasible that, with some of the best fast talkers in the 'Verse on board as well as legitimate licenses in the Captain's hand, that we could ask Antman for this.

That's supposing, of course, that we are remaining legit in that regard and the Alliance has full record of what we're doing. (Under ship #4, or #3 with Built for Stealth and a registered EMP).

(For the "still browncoats around" argument, I think that is explicitly WHY all these options are explicitly in the book for players to use. Out on the Rim, lots of stuff is possible and the Alliance can't reach.)

If we're using the Off the Grid distinction (which was your first choice) then the Alliance doesn't have the records of what we have, anyway. (Applies to ships #1, #2, and maybe #3.) We could hide the EMP wiring (because the paperwork on it keeps getting lost) or try to convince a nosy Alliance inspector that we do have notarized copies of the submitted paperwork, which somehow just got lost.

Personally, I like the hybrid with the EMP (#1), or the Defanged Tiger Orion (#3). I like EMP as our main offensive asset. If we're now coalesced around the A-Team model, then I DO like keeping the Off the Grid option.

Jack wrote:Does Milly and Edmund need shuttles of their own, meaning we need a 3rd shuttle as a lifeboat?
Milly: interstellar, very fancy?
Edmund: interstellar, stealthy?
Lifeboat: short range, able to enter and leave atmo?

We'll definitely need a forklift, and possibly a little trailer like the mule had on the show.
(p. 211) If ’n your ship don’t have a Signature Asset, that don’t
mean it’s lacking—that area’s just not an important part of
your boat.

I'd assume that we have things like the mule, shuttle, and forklift as standard background items (particularly standard on a Kintsugi) and that we therefore can create them freely during the story as regular assets whenever we need them.

You're looking at this asset?
Shuttles (d8)
Every captain knows that having an extra shuttle or two is handy
in a pinch and can provide some extra cash to those who can
afford the rent. Ship hulls are measured and then modified to fit.

Is "more shuttles than the average of this ship type" a key characteristic? Could be, and would make sense. How many shuttles is Antman going to let us have in the "normal" realm? Are our shuttles special?

What I don't know is: what kind of ship rolls would we toss a d8 Shuttles into? I see it as an enabler for a story - we're taking the Mule, Hovercraft, Shuttle, or Motorcycles on this adventure instead of the ship. I'm not sure when it is rolled as an asset of the ship. By the description, it sounds like you're going to use it for social/rental/cash-generating rolls, like "fancy quarters" that we rent to NPC passengers. That's not something I see us ever doing.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Antman9 »

Marullus wrote: I'd assume that we have things like the mule, shuttle, and forklift as standard background items (particularly standard on a Kintsugi) and that we therefore can create them freely during the story as regular assets whenever we need them.
Yep.
Marullus wrote: Is "more shuttles than the average of this ship type" a key characteristic? Could be, and would make sense. How many shuttles is Antman going to let us have in the "normal" realm? Are our shuttles special?
I was thinking about that…
I think two max, one for transporting important clients/passengers/guests, the other for utility/lifeboat/emergency purposes (slightly larger, perhaps a small service vessel). Does that sound fair?
Marullus wrote: What I don't know is: what kind of ship rolls would we toss a d8 Shuttles into? I see it as an enabler for a story - we're taking the Mule, Hovercraft, Shuttle, or Motorcycles on this adventure instead of the ship. I'm not sure when it is rolled as an asset of the ship. By the description, it sounds like you're going to use it for social/rental/cash-generating rolls, like "fancy quarters" that we rent to NPC passengers. That's not something I see us ever doing.
Perhaps as strategic tool in certain situation where the whole ship might be too obvious/conspicuous? Or as a backup plan perhaps? You could even do a temporary retrofit (Asset) to serve a specific purpose for a mission/task.
Jack wrote: I don't think even bounty hunters will be allowed to have armed ships - assault rifles for personal protection would be fine, but I think the Alliance will blow you to smithereens before even asking you why you have an armed tank or ship with weapons, especially since there are still disgruntled Browncoats around.
How about this?
  • Legitimate licenses in the Captain's hand
  • Registered EMP
  • Bosco – Former Alliance Soldier (perhaps a free Alliance Soldier ID Asset)
  • Jesse – Former Black Ops, Classified status (Still has pull, higher clearance than many Alliance officers/ship captains maybe?, Possibly a retired clearance badge/credentials?)
  • Lots of fast talkers aboard ship
Percy bought the ship with Core Merchant money, had it fitted with hidden EMP tech (though registered, the paperwork on it keeps getting lost), and possibly one hidden weapon, possibly with the help of Jesse’s contacts (maybe they are installed in the service vessel)?

Between Jesse, Percy’s licenses, and Bosco, the crew might be able to get past most Alliance vessels without too much hassle, of course there’s always the exception…Considering the A-Team approach/option, coupled with "The people history stepped on" (where they are stepping back), I think these options would fit nicely. (my 2 cents) Ultimately I will leave it up to you guys, as you will be using them.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

Awesome. :-D

So, what ship is best for the A-TEAM theme?

My epiphany - the Ripping and Fixing Montage is totally what B.A. does in EVERY episode: https://youtu.be/H7zc1iySY1I

So, it now clicks for me and I think that a Kintsugi or Kintsugi hybrid is awesome, with Shuttles for our discreet movements and meet-ups.

Taking the Shuttles (d8) asset ensures we have a regular supply of Shuttles for Brasco to turn into whatever specialized asset we need for that episode.

So, I think all Jack's ideas are now brilliant. ;-)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Antman9 »

A couple of interesting ideas I found:

Titan Bulk Transport (link)
Pics:
titan_small.jpg
titan_small.jpg (91.98 KiB) Viewed 927 times
titan_decks_small.jpg
titan_decks_small.jpg (179.65 KiB) Viewed 927 times
Big-Ass Shuttle: The Last Resort (link)

This guy is definitely A-Team material, though a bit on the large size, which I guess kind of matches the space theme.
Kintsugi Class Salvage Ship 8
  • Engines 8
    Hull 8
    Systems 8
Although quite large, the bulk of these vessels serve mainly to anchor smaller ships in place while the crew dismantles, strips, or repairs them. All sorts of things can be found in a salvage ship’s cargo hold, from the personal effects of stranded travelers to critical and rare parts that can repair almost any ship.
  • Parts ‘R Us: Spend 1 PP to create a d8 Asset when you’re looking for a part to fix a ship.
  • Rippin’ and Fixin’ Montage: Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a Timed Action involving repairing a ship or gathering salvage. For each of your rolls during the Timed Action, your Crew may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a Plot Point for that die. If a die comes up as a 1 when rerolled, it may not be rerolled a second time.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#12 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:
Marullus wrote: Is "more shuttles than the average of this ship type" a key characteristic? Could be, and would make sense. How many shuttles is Antman going to let us have in the "normal" realm? Are our shuttles special?
I was thinking about that…
I think two max, one for transporting important clients/passengers/guests, the other for utility/lifeboat/emergency purposes (slightly larger, perhaps a small service vessel). Does that sound fair?
Will Milly have her own shuttle before she joins - something fancy to get into the places she wants to?

Will Edmund, as a bounty hunter, need something tiny and stealthy (like Jubal's) to get certain places? Will he bring his own, or modify an existing lifeboat?

What do we do when both are out, and we're in an "Out of gas" situation? Instead not allow both to be gone at once (which would probably tick off Milly or Ed)?

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#13 Post by Quaid Slauson »

All good questions. In the series there are standard crew, passengers (with crew-like qualities), and Inara who has a specific business relationship with the captain.

I was thinking Edmund would be a crewmember who managed to bring in jobs (bounty hunting) that perhaps the entire crew would work on. I'm flexible. If he was more of an independent contractor (like Inara) or partially independent contractor (like Simon???), the chances for Conflict of Interest start to climb, as seen in arguments between Mal and Inara.

Characterwise, what keeps Edmund from going solo like Jubal? Edmund is less adventurous and more social than Jubal.

Anyway, figuring out the "employee" status will help figure out the shuttle arrangements. Any preferences?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Well, we know that Jack, Rusty, and I are all core-crew. It is really up to Quaid and FantasyChic to define with Jack.

For my opinion, I would prefer that, if we're doing secret-y stuff, we all be "core crew" with high-trust, avoiding some of the intra-party concerns.
Last edited by Marullus on Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#15 Post by Quaid Slauson »

I'm good with Edmund being true crew.

I'm good with Jack assigning shuttles. If he wants to christen a shuttle the Longabaugh Wagon, I won't complain.

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#16 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Jack wrote: Will Edmund, as a bounty hunter, need something tiny and stealthy (like Jubal's) to get certain places? Will he bring his own, or modify an existing lifeboat?

What do we do when both are out, and we're in an "Out of gas" situation? Instead not allow both to be gone at once (which would probably tick off Milly or Ed)?
Edmund hasn't progressed to the point where he brings his own ship to the game, however small. He'll take whatever he can get.

There could be situations where we're sorely wanting/needing another shuttle, which could precipitate some "what's best for the whole group" decisions.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Antman9 »

From a GM standpoint, it would be easier, especially being a new GM to the Firefly rules, to have the group stick together, for the most part. There are going to be excursions where the party splits, but I would prefer not to open it up as a sandbox game; at least for now. Having all the members be part of the "Core Crew" also adds to the whole A-Team effect/feel. They will still have their past, and that will certainly have an affect on current and future interactions/triggers, which I plan to incorporate.

I'm open to discussions for the shuttles. If the main boat is large enough, it would certainly be capable of handling multiple shuttles. Give me some valid reasoning and I'm on board. For example, the Titan Bulk Transport I linked below would be capable of probably 4 small shuttles or 3 of varying sizes.

Also, considering the whole salvage/A-Team thing going on, you could probably on-the-spot create an asset (small shuttle) from salvaged parts. Just an idea (crazy, I know, but an idea non-the-less), which would have all kinds of implications in itself :shock:

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#18 Post by Antman9 »

Temporary Shuttle for first Episode

SHUTTLE 1
Name: Dà Gāisǐ Bānchē (Big Damn Shuttle)
Class: Yang Class Rescue Ship 8
Stats: Engines 10, Hull 6, Systems 8

Typically, rescue ships are privately owned and travel along the borders of the five systems. In exchange for credits or goods, crews’ll provide assistance and medical care to travelers in need. These ships—named after Yang Liwei, the first Chinese citizen from Earth-That-Was to travel into space—are manufactured by the Tàikōng Corporation and have excellent medical facilities and strong engines to get them to stranded vessels quickly.

HISTORY
Found her floating amongst some space rocks. Pulled a few strings, got her all registered and whatnot. Then we let Bosco have at her for a couple months. Just look how she flies now!

DISTINCTIONS
Yang Class Rescue Ship 8
  • (Locked) Get There Stat!: While racing to a stranded or afflicted ship, the pilot may reroll any dice that come up 1s instead of accepting Plot Points. On the rerolls, 1s and 2s count as jinxes.
  • Whatcha Got There, Eh?: Create a d8 Asset representing something you just found while exploring a site. Take or step up a Complication associated with that Asset.
Cobbled Together 8
Your ship was built from salvage parts and space junk. She looks kinda ugly, but she sure can surprise folk when she needs to.
  • (Locked) Frankenstein’s Boat: Spend 1 PP to switch the die ratings of Engines and Systems for the rest of the scene.
  • (Locked) She’s Got Class, Lots of Class: Spend 1 PP to create an Unknown Ship Class d8 Asset when someone tries to identify your ship.

Deep Space Ready 8

Your pantry is stuffed with protein bars and canned goods. You’ve got extra fuel cells, ammo, spare parts, and a meager library. You’re ready to be alone. Mighty, mighty alone.
  • I Knew That Was Gonna Happen: When you create an Asset—like Extra Oxygen Tanks d6 or Long-Range Homing Beacon d6—that reflects how you anticipated a particular deep space problem, step it up.
  • (Locked) Radio Silence: When you’re floatin’ in the black and there ain’t a ship, moon, or planet on your radar, take a We’re All Alone d8 Complication to gain 1 PP.
SIGNATURE ASSETS
Maneuvering Thrusters 8
Sometimes raw speed isn’t what you want, but quick or subtle maneuvering, especially in close quarters with another vessel. These thrusters are mounted at various parts of the ship, allowing the pilot to make very fine adjustments on the alignment and position of the ship.
  • (Locked) Crazy Ivan: When the pilot tries to outmaneuver a ship, he can spend 1 PP to step up or double Engines for a roll

Salvaging Equipment 8

Consisting of laser cutting torches, electronic code breakers, magnetic grapplers, gravitic haulers and boxes, this set of equipment contains all the best stuff for getting into, cutting up, and towing stranded boats.
  • (Locked) Chop Chop: When you create an Asset related to salvaged parts while dismantling a ship, it lasts for the rest of the Episode.
tumblr_lvunod87Oi1r7r5bto1_1280.jpg
tumblr_lvunod87Oi1r7r5bto1_1280.jpg (425.21 KiB) Viewed 904 times

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

What model are you using as a proposal for the Titan? It isn't in the book, and being so much bigger than the Firefly, looks like it might be a bigger category. I love that it has a floor plan. The plan shows 24 crew bunks, a dining hall for 30+ at a time, and nine chairs on the bridge. If we use it, it makes sense that we're picking people up and offering rides. ;)

I also do like the Kintsugi for the A-TEAM, and think our Kintsugi-hybrid is an awesome cross of engines and function. I am still waiting for Jack's thoughts.

That shuttle rocks, Antman. :-)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Antman9 »

I had kind of envisioned something big to match the Kintsugi Class Salvage Ship, because it says they are "quite large." It is almost Space Liner or Heavy Cargo Carrier sized from the Scale Comparison chart, which is probably bigger than what they have in mind for "quite large," but for some reason I felt it matched the definition Jack was giving, in an off sort of way I guess. Or maybe I just thought it looked cool ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to step on Jack's (or anyone else's creativity here), I was just throwing in my 2 cents. Got caught up in your guys' excitement I guess. :)

Then for Shuttle 1 I kind of just threw something together, based on a pic I found, that somewhat matched the Firefly size, maybe a bit smaller, that could be used as an emergency/utility/landing vehicle for the crew. I really just needed something concrete to visualize that first scene. Especially since the other ship pic was so large, it really wouldn't be fit for planetary landings, but gives plenty of space for salvage missions and room for multiple shuttles; which I'm liking more and more every minute btw. I think we could do a lot, plot-wise, with multiple shuttles. Thanks for pressing that issue Jack. I also think with the salvage aspect and size of a larger ship you could actually create shuttle assets on the spot, which could add a whole host of complications and excitement to the game. But again, just my 2 cents, I don't want to take over the ideas you guys have for the game. Primarily just visualizations for me to get the game started.

Definitely don't just take the ideas I'm throwing out for ships and shuttles and stop there, by all means come up with stuff that suites your guys' needs and desires. If you're happy with what I offered, or want to modify, have at it too. I'm just happy to be a part of this. I'm really enjoying things so far, and this whole thing seems to be moving at a pace (maybe just a little on the slow side) that everyone can sustain, at least for the moment. We are really only just getting started though. This kind of has that Star Wars epic/gradually building story feel to it, at least in my head anyway, heehee. Hopefully everyone else is enjoying it. Even though the only thing you guys have done so far is create characters, I feel like everyone is pretty excited to be here. I'm excited to see the role playing aspect come to life too.

Really went off on a tangent there didn't I?

I can put my 2 cents on the larger ship too (create my idea for the stats) if you guys want. I just don;t want to take any fun form Jack or anyone else.
Antman9 wrote:This guy is definitely A-Team material, though a bit on the large size, which I guess kind of matches the space theme.
Kintsugi Class Salvage Ship 8
  • Engines 8
    Hull 8
    Systems 8
Although quite large, the bulk of these vessels serve mainly to anchor smaller ships in place while the crew dismantles, strips, or repairs them. All sorts of things can be found in a salvage ship’s cargo hold, from the personal effects of stranded travelers to critical and rare parts that can repair almost any ship.
  • Parts ‘R Us: Spend 1 PP to create a d8 Asset when you’re looking for a part to fix a ship.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”