#61 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Do things actually "happen" in "flashback scenes?"

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: OOC 1

#62 Post by Antman9 »

Jack
I made a few assumptions. First, that the map we’re using (here: The 'Verse - Large Color Map) is static, for all intents and purposes of the game. Trying to calculate orbital periods and positions of all the planets and systems would be a logistical nightmare, and no one has created an animated tool (not that I found). The orbital period of Persephone would be 1,182 days (3.24 years). So for all intents and purposes, for in game time, it ain’t gonna move much. If I use the Firefly RPG Tools Travel Distance Calculator and a travel speed of 9 Hours/AU and a speed factor of 5, it would take 3 days, 2 hours, 35 minutes, and 35 seconds to travel form Jubilee to Persephone. I’m happy to track that kind of stuff if the group wants me too. I track minutes, days, sun & moon cycles, and weather patterns in my D&D game.

I lost track of where I was going with that :) … Oh yeah,

I realize now I need to make the travel bits a little clearer. Re-read my post, and see it can be interpreted several ways. I’ll work on that.

My intention was to have the Proudhon traveling from outside the system, passing the Motherlode, on their way to Bellerophon to pick up the OAC’s. That made it easy for them to drop of Conrad (if we go by the static position on the map) on Persephone, relatively speaking. Then the crew is to head to Six Sigma to drop off the OAC’s.

So:
1) Heading to Bellerophon to pick up OAC’s
2) Passed by Motherlode, picked up Conrad
3) Passing by Covenant, heard SOS (presently spiraling toward the ground)
4) Still need to drop Conrad off at Persephone
5) Still need to go to Six Sigma to drop off OAC’s

Travel Distance Calculator: Bellerophon to Six Sigma (roughly) – 135.9093 AU, 10 days, 4 hours, 38 minutes, 12 seconds
The trip from Motherlode to Six Sigma would be a sort of dogleg on the map.
Trip from Motherlode to Six Sigma would be roughly 14 days.

Jack & Quaid
Quaid wrote: Do things actually "happen" in "flashback scenes?"
As I understand it, the Flashback is simply a tale or in-character account, a retelling if you will, of an event that happened in the past. In this case, Bosco might simply freak out, and shout something about dying, possible retell bits and pieces of what happened, or spout nonsense, no one else knows about an event that happened, like it’s in the present, but in past tense, etc. Basically roleplay out what Bosco would do, how he would react, both physically and verbally, when the shuttle is hit and begins its tailspin. If you play out the flashback/scene really well you get a PP. For the cases where you are spending a plot point to create an asset that triggers a flashback, the GM might give you the PP back if you role-play the flashback really well. That’s the idea anyway, and my interpretation.
Jack wrote: Does the flashback mini-scene happen before Raise the Stakes: Beat 1?
In this case, because we are in a Timed Action scenario, The flashback should happen when the trigger happens, the shuttle being hit and doing a tailspin, which will be during Beat 1.
Jack wrote: Would a single action/beat be raising the stakes with something like describing Percy trying to get out of the spin by throwing ship attribute (d? engines), PC skill (d10 fly), and additional skill (d10 focus) dice (which means he's not concentrating anywhere else like what the crew's doing or thinking about where the flash came from)? If that action succeeds, would it take another action to try to land with no (or 1-less) thruster or will landing be the same action/beat?
So the Beats are used to represent tense situations where critical actions matter. I gave you six beats as it was our first encounter, and you were still some ways up from the surface

Beat 1
Would be Percy trying to stabilize the ship (take it out of the tailspin) using the ship stats and his own, so yes d# Engines + d10 Fly + d10 Focus (to keep the ship steady).

Beat 2
Would be something like gaining altitude control and stabilizing speed. This step would also include any assistance (dice) from a mechanic to get additional power to maneuvering thrusters, etc. to help the pilot.

Beat 3
Would be something like landing the ship without crashing/landing too hard.

And so on. The extra Beats are in case you fail a roll somewhere along the way, they also indicate the time you have to complete those three crucial actions before crashing.
Jack wrote: Is the utility transport big enough to allow a co-pilot (Milly or Edmund)?
Since we didn’t have the ship or shuttles completed yet I punted here and used the design from the main ship and shuttle example pics I posted in the Let’s Build a Ship thread, just so I had something concrete to visualize. I’m not expecting you guys to use those ships in any way, I just wanted some reference. So the Shuttle pic below is what I based the scene off of.

Titan Bulk Transport (link)
Big-Ass Shuttle: The Last Resort (link)

So, yes, in this case, it’s big enough to have a co-pilot (I would allow Edmond to assist (add his dice to the pool) if that’s how you want to do. OR if you have another shuttle design we can go with that too. I have no intention of rushing, but I will try to move things along as fast as the players want/can manage.
Jack wrote: Also, the ship's name: do we wait to decide on the final ship stats first, keep the current name Proudhon, or pick something else (Starberry, Tatiana, Daphne, other)?
I’m leaving this bit up to you guys. I used Proudhon because you had it as tentative, and I needed something to fil that spot :)

Whew, what a mouthful (fingerful)!

I will be adding the next few steps we need to take here in a bit.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for explaining the beats - laying out the tasks at-hand is a big help.

So, since the Tailspin is a named complication, beat one is "remove that complication."

Is "gaining altitude" the same as resolving the "broken thrusters" complication? Or just a successful Fly check in spite of the complication?

The flash worries Jesse, as he fears offensive actions. Would a beat be using sensors to trace-back the source of the emination so we know what we face once we survive, or what rescuers might face? Can this be contemporaneous within a beat (counting time) or is it it's own beat (counting actions)?

So, the flashback says they are called when someone tries to create an asset, and it results in a stepped-up asset and maybe a PP (which is really just the return of the one spent to create the asset. We are playing fast and loose with this, which is cool. But shouldn't it result in Brasco still getting a d8 asset for the scene? What about his invoking the I don't want to burn! Trigger?

Reading your book snippet, it seems like this:
* Boscoe invokes "I don't want to burn!" As a d6 complication and gets a PP
* GM calls for a flashback related to first death.
* Boscoe picks another PC who appears in his flashback. They take turns narrating until the flashback concludes. Boscoe gets a d8 asset for an action (the GM awards a PP, which makes this free).

* We go into Beat 1. The primary actor is Percy resolving the Tailspin complication. Since we are definitively "all in this together" under the rules (plummeting to our death), we each narrate what we are doing to help and offer him a Helping Die for his pool.
* Percy rolls all dice - his, the assets, and the helping dice - to overcome the Tailspin.

Proceed to beat 2.

Does that sound right?

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#64 Post by Antman9 »

I'm working on an update now. Probly gonna take a bit. Lots to consider, and I'm trying to be thorough.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#65 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:Heading to Bellerophon to pick up OAC’s
Ah! I misread thinking we'd already picked them up at Bellerophon, which is why didn't understand why we'd go past Motherlode instead of towards Kalidasa.
Antman9 wrote:Motherlode to Six Sigma would be roughly 14 days. [...]I’m happy to track that kind of stuff if the group wants me too.
I was also out by more than an order of magnitude with how fast the ships can travel. I'm fine traveling at the speed of plot instead, and with no delays in radio communication.

Are we keeping it PG-13 like the show?, because I thought of a funny Deadwood reference but which is probably closer to an R rating.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#66 Post by Antman9 »

Ok, here we go...

Jack, I have to run my truck to the service station, so I will respond to your recent post while I'm there.

Also, next post I will talk about what happens in a Beat, who can or should do what, etc, along with basic game play, different types of rolls, and game mechanics. Probably make a post later tonight.

Beat 1
Would be Percy trying to stabilize the ship (take it out of the tailspin) using the ship stats and his own, so yes d# Engines + d10 Fly + d10 Focus (to keep the ship steady).
marullus wrote:So, since the Tailspin is a named complication, beat one is "remove that complication."
Yep, if you can. Otherwise it runs into Beat 2 and the ground gets closer.

As Marullus stated, this would be a “Remove That Complication” scenario, to get the ship stable (Beat 2), and then land (Beat 3) without crashing.

The GM set the stakes at: 11
  • Difficulty Die: Challenging d8
  • Trait Die: Ambush d8
  • Complication 1: Starboard Ion Drive Malfunction d6
  • Complication 2: Shuttle Tailspin d6
Difficulty [1d8] = 5, Trait [1d8] = 2, Complication 1 [1d6] = 6, Complication 2 [1d6] = 3
Stakes: 5 + 6 = 11

The Starboard Ion Drive Malfunction complication can’t be addressed until the Shuttle Tailspin complication has been fixed. To do this the pilot, using the shuttle stats (I created an example Service Shuttle below based on the pic (LINK) I provided previously). Considering the assets (both assumed and obvious) a co=pilot should be able to lend a die for the stabilizing process (removing the Shuttle Tailspin complication).

Raising the Stakes
i.e. Making a Recovery Roll (see below) for the Shuttle Tailspin complication.
Using the Landing Your Boat scenario from pg 45 (see below), as this was the closest scenario I could find, we get the following Dice Pool:
  • Engines d10
  • Fly skill (Percy) d10
  • Protect Friends (Percy) specialty d6 (Focus specialty)
  • Ship’s Captain (Percy) d8
  • Proudhon signature asset (Percy) d8
  • Fly d8 (Bosco or Milly) co-pilot assist d8
Reasoning: Percy (nor anyone else) has a Ship’s Pilot Distinction. So I substituted Percy’s Ship’s Captain distinction because it was the closest to a Pilot distinction he has and it accounts for the sudden emergency that kicks his captain/leadership skils into gear. Then, because he “Protects the crew” as the captain and will feel pressure to perform, I added in his Focus specialty Protect Friends, giving him extra focus to perform. Then I felt having a co-pilot, as the ship I chose has two pilot seats, would be extremely valuable in assisting the pilot gain control. I think the rest are obvious.

Beat 2
Would be something like gaining altitude control and stabilizing speed. This step would also include any assistance (dice) from a mechanic to get additional power to maneuvering thrusters, etc. to help the pilot.
Marullus wrote: Is "gaining altitude" the same as resolving the "broken thrusters" complication? Or just a successful Fly check in spite of the complication?
I think you would have to resolve the altitude issue and land (possibly) before you could fix the thrusters. Does that make sense? So Beat 2 would be to gain control of altitude (i.e. get control of descent so as not to crash). Basically to use maneuvering thrusters, and compensating power on the Port engine, to gain control. For this Beat a co-pilot would come in very handy as well. [/quote]

The GM sets the stakes at: 11
  • Difficulty Die: Challenging d8
  • Trait Die: No Atmo! d6
  • Any Complications that arise from Jinx rolls
Raising the Stakes
i.e. Making a Recovery Roll (see below) for the Starboard Ion Drive Malfunction complication.
  • Engines d10
  • Maneuvering Thrusters Distinction d8
  • Fly skill (Percy) d10
Reasoning: So I removed Protect Friends (Percy) specialty d6 (Focus specialty) and Ship’s Captain (Percy) d8 because I feel they initially applied in the sudden uproar of the situation (Percy steps up to meet the challenge as captain), but now that he’s resolved that issue, it comes down to basic emergency flying techniques and not so much leadership/captain abilities.

Beat 3
Would be something like landing the ship without crashing/landing too hard. Once the ship is under some control, may not be perfectly maneuverable, but should be sufficient to land (where that happens might depend on certain factors).

The GM sets the stakes at: 11
  • Difficulty Die: Challenging d6 (just need to set her down and fix that engine)
  • Trait Die: ??? (depends on what happens in Beat 1 & 2)
  • Any Complications that arise from Jinx rolls
Raising the Stakes
i.e. Making any additional Recovery Rolls (see below) for complications that arise previous to this beat.
  • Engines d10
  • Fly skill (Percy) d10

Also in this Beat
Marullus wrote: The flash worries Jesse, as he fears offensive actions. Would a beat be using sensors to trace-back the source of the emination so we know what we face once we survive, or what rescuers might face? Can this be contemporaneous within a beat (counting time) or is it it's own beat (counting actions)?
This is where Jesse could track where the flash of light comes from, as long as sensors are on line (haven’t been taken out by a complication). The ship is stable enough to allow Jesse to move or function normally. He might be able to attempt the make a check in an earlier beat (you just have to say so) and the GM will make a Setting the Stakes roll with additional complications for Jesse based on circumstances. These complications would most likely go away once the shuttle is more stable.

Under this situation (and Beats in general), the Beat won’t necessarily consist of one actual post by each player, but might consist of multiple posts by GM and specific players depending on the situation. For this particular beat Marullus would make his post stating Jesse’s intent to perform a check, the GM would Set the Stakes, and then Marullus would try to Raise the Stakes.

OTHER
Marullus wrote:So, the flashback says they are called when someone tries to create an asset, and it results in a stepped-up asset and maybe a PP (which is really just the return of the one spent to create the asset. We are playing fast and loose with this, which is cool. But shouldn't it result in Brasco still getting a d8 asset for the scene? What about his invoking the I don't want to burn! Trigger?

Reading your book snippet, it seems like this:
  • Boscoe invokes "I don't want to burn!" As a d6 complication and gets a PP
  • GM calls for a flashback related to first death.
  • Boscoe picks another PC who appears in his flashback. They take turns narrating until the flashback concludes. Boscoe gets a d8 asset for an action (the GM awards a PP, which makes this free).
Yes, you are correct on both. Bosco could create a “I don't want to burn!” complication using his trigger and receive a PP. I read this as his choice. And the GM could call for a Flashback (as the book states).

I also felt, as a GM, that I could call for a flashback (especially since we are all new this rule set and learning together) and allow Bosco to choose if he wants to take the complication.

So the question is, what asset would Bosco get? I was having difficulty coming up with one. I need to poke around in the book some and see if I can find a similar example.

Additionally: I like the Flashback idea, and feel it would work well in other situations that don’t involve an asset. I am willing to not do this if some folks don’t want to. I’m happy to stick to the rules as they are.

Marullus wrote:
  • We go into Beat 1. The primary actor is Percy resolving the Tailspin complication. Since we are definitively "all in this together" under the rules (plummeting to our death), we each narrate what we are doing to help and offer him a Helping Die for his pool.
  • Percy rolls all dice - his, the assets, and the helping dice - to overcome the Tailspin.
[/quote][/quote]
Yep, definitely. If those crewmembers can describe how it helps the pilot or co-pilot, I think they should be able to lend a die to the Pilot’s roll. Certainly.

LENT DIE (343)
A Skill die given by one Crewmember to another Crewmember to help in an Action. The Crewmember who lent the die is subject to the costs and Complications of the Action.
MAKING A RECOVERY ROLL (247)
You don’t have to wait for the Gamemaster to roll an Opportunity to try and remove a Complication. If you want to get out from under the Complication’s negative effects, you (or another Crewmember) can put together a recovery roll with the appropriate Attribute, Skill, etc. against a dice pool featuring the Complication and a difficulty die. If your recovery roll is successful, remove the Complication completely.

If you fail, step back the Complication die one step to represent the progress you’ve made patching up a broken limb or smoothing things over with the local color. Remember: any d6 Complications stepped back to a d4 are fully recovered and you can remove them from play. As long you don’t roll any jinxes, you’ll be shiny! Well...shinier.

There are a few limits on recovery rolls—you may only attempt to remove a Complication once per scene and the GM may rule that it’s impossible for you to attempt a recovery roll in your current situation. It’s pretty tough to clean up an Acid Spill d8 without the proper gear to mop up the mess. It’s even harder to get a bullet wound patched up when you’re tied up and stuck in the middle of a desert.

It’s also possible that you roll a jinx on a recovery roll, resulting in a worsenin’ situation. If you roll a jinx on a successful recovery roll, the GM can hand over a Plot Point to introduce a new Complication related to the old one—your Broken Arm d8 is now a Splinted Limb d6. If you roll a jinx on a failed roll, your Complication gets worse by one step for every jinx you rolled—and the GM doesn’t have to pay you any Plot Points at all, just like a botch.
COMPLICATIONS (226)
Keep in mind that Assets and Complications affecting your ship can involve any Crewmember—not just the pilot or the mechanic. When your boat gets hit by an asteroid, the Gamemaster can inflict a Hull Breach in the Kitchen d8 Complication that Book has to deal with or a Fire in the Medsuite d8 that Simon needs to put out. Complications aren’t just location dependent either; they can impact the whole ship, like Damaged Stabilizers d8, Those Gorramn Reavers Followed Us! d12, or Smoke Throughout the Ship d6.

Some Complications up the drama by inflicting a shipwide Complication that can Take Out the whole Crew, like Life Support Failure d6. When that happens, you and your Crew’ll be thrown into a Timed Action to fix the problem before those important systems fail. For an example, review “Out of Gas” in the Episode Guide on page 81.
PATCHING UP YOUR BOAT (226)
Broken parts are represented by Complications. Fixing up your boat will require you to make a recovery roll—just like you would for Complications related to your Crewmember. You can make as many ship-based recovery rolls as you wish, but you can only try to recover each Complication once per scene. You’ll often need a part in order to make a recovery roll, but your Gamemaster will tell you whether or not you have what you need. Don’t you worry none, for all is not lost. If ’n you don’t have that compression coil, you might find one by jerry-rigging it, salvaging a derelict boat, buying one at a junkyard, etc. Some of your triggers will help you fix your boat, so read through ’em carefully!

When fixin’ up your ship, Assets can be a mighty boon. Create an Asset that would be useful in getting the job done, ranging from the part you need to a specific tool or piece of gear. Remember that you might not always have the part you need on hand—Mal can’t just create a nuclear weapon in a bar fight as an Asset by spending a Plot Point. It’s got to be something he can reasonably find!

LANDIN’ YOUR BOAT (45)
Unlike spaceships from Earth-That-Was, ships in the ’Verse don’t have heat shields on account that they don’t need to use atmo to slow down. Instead, pilots leverage gravity and their ship’s engines to gently descend. That said, distracted pilots may wind up comin’ in too fast if they’re admiring the view. Like Wash, they’d have to do some fancy flyin’ to land all nice and smooth-like.

In “Shindig,” Wash’s little quirk would show up as a Complication at your table. During that scene on Santo, say the GM took advantage of a jinx Mal rolled and created a We’re Comin’ in Too Fast d8 Complication.

Here’s how Wash makes a difficult landing on Persephone. ’Member, We’re Comin’ In Too Fast d8 makes his job a lot harder!

The Gamemaster sets the stakes. Despite the fact that Serenity is comin’ up on Persephone a mite quick, landing the ship is generally an easy task. So, the GM adds an Easy d6 difficulty die and a Planetary Atmo d8 Trait die representing Persephone’s atmosphere to build a basic dice pool. For more information on difficulty dice and Trait dice, see page 263 in Keep Flyin’.

Finally, the GM adds the We’re Comin’ In Too Fast d8 Complication and rolls: 6, 2, 4

Add the two highest dice. The Gamemaster gets a total of 10. Wash tries to raise the stakes and adds Serenity’s Engines d10 Attribute and his own Fly d12 Skill. The pilot also gets to add a d6 since Serenity is a transport, which matches his Transports specialty. Next, Wash uses his Ship’s Pilot Distinction to add a d8, and uses Serenity’s Firefly Class Transport Distinction to add another d8. Finally, since Serenity is one of Wash’s Signature Assets, he also gets to add a d6 to his dice pool.

He rolls: 2, 8, 7, 3, 5, 4

The sum of the two highest dice is 15, and Wash has no problem in raising the stakes and lands Serenity safely on the surface of Persephone.

SERVICE VESSELS
Sometimes, a Crew might need a boat that’s highly specialized for a particular line of work. If ’n that’s the case, you’ll want a service vessel to fulfill your needs. In many ways, service vessels are invisible to both the Alliance and criminals alike, because they’re often taken for granted. Most folk expect to see a science vessel at some point knowin’ that there’s data that needs gatherin’ or folk who need healin’.

Because service-related boats fill a specific need, they aren’t commonly found wherever ships are bought, rented, or sold. You’ll need the help of a professional agent or corporate fleet to find them. Provided the deal is attractive to both sides, service vessels don’t necessarily have to be purchased. They can be leased or rented for a specific period of time up to two years.

Anyone who’s lookin’ to get their hands on a service vessel and doesn’t have the background or qualifications to do so might want to search in a city or space junkyard. Most city junkyards, like the one on Ariel, aren’t closely monitored on account of almost nonexistent civilian demand for these types of ships. Space junkyards, on the other hand, can only exist by makin’ deals, so any ship part—service vessel or not—ain’t free.
SHUTTLE 1
Name: Dà Gāisǐ Bānchē (Big Damn Shuttle)
Class: Yang Class Rescue Ship 8
Stats:Engines 10, Hull 6, Systems 8

Typically, rescue ships are privately owned and travel along the borders of the five systems. In exchange for credits or goods, crews’ll provide assistance and medical care to travelers in need. These ships—named after Yang Liwei, the first Chinese citizen from Earth-That-Was to travel into space—are manufactured by the Tàikōng Corporation and have excellent medical facilities and strong engines to get them to stranded vessels quickly.

HISTORY
Found her floating amongst some space rocks. Pulled a few strings, got her all registered and whatnot. Then we let Bosco have at her for a couple months. Just look how she flies now!

DISTINCTIONS
  • Gain 1 Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.
  • (Locked) Get There Stat!: While racing to a stranded or afflicted ship, the pilot may reroll any dice that come up 1s instead of accepting Plot Points. On the rerolls, 1s and 2s count as jinxes.
  • Whatcha Got There, Eh?: Create a d8 Asset representing something you just found while exploring a site. Take or step up a Complication associated with that Asset.
Cobbled Together 8
Your ship was built from salvage parts and space junk. She looks kinda ugly, but she sure can surprise folk when she needs to.
  • (Locked) Frankenstein’s Boat: Spend 1 PP to switch the die ratings of Engines and Systems for the rest of the scene.
  • (Locked) She’s Got Class, Lots of Class: Spend 1 PP to create an Unknown Ship Class d8 Asset when someone tries to identify your ship.

Deep Space Ready 8
Your pantry is stuffed with protein bars and canned goods. You’ve got extra fuel cells, ammo, spare parts, and a meager library. You’re ready to be alone. Mighty, mighty alone.
  • I Knew That Was Gonna Happen: When you create an Asset—like Extra Oxygen Tanks d6 or Long-Range Homing Beacon d6—that reflects how you anticipated a particular deep space problem, step it up.
  • (Locked)Radio Silence: When you’re floatin’ in the black and there ain’t a ship, moon, or planet on your radar, take a We’re All Alone d8 Complication to gain 1 PP.
SIGNATURE ASSETS
Maneuvering Thrusters 8
Sometimes raw speed isn’t what you want, but quick or subtle maneuvering, especially in close quarters with another vessel. These thrusters are mounted at various parts of the ship, allowing the pilot to make very fine adjustments on the alignment and position of the ship.
  • (Locked) Crazy Ivan: When the pilot tries to outmaneuver a ship, he can spend 1 PP to step up or double Engines for a roll
Salvaging Equipment 8
Consisting of laser cutting torches, electronic code breakers, magnetic grapplers, gravitic haulers and boxes, this set of equipment contains all the best stuff for getting into, cutting up, and towing stranded boats.
  • (Locked) Chop Chop: When you create an Asset related to salvaged parts while dismantling a ship, it lasts for the rest of the Episode.
EDIT: Added Maneuvering Thrusters to Beat 2

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#67 Post by Antman9 »

Jack wrote:I was also out by more than an order of magnitude with how fast the ships can travel. I'm fine traveling at the speed of plot instead, and with no delays in radio communication.

Are we keeping it PG-13 like the show?, because I thought of a funny Deadwood reference but which is probably closer to an R rating.
I think we'll need to set some speed ratings for the different craft you guys end up with, that is if we want to get that detailed, which I am perfectly happy to do, I actually enjoy a little bit of that, while not dragging too much of it into play. I think it would get too tedious to role play three weeks worth of space travel. A little is fine. The space liner I suggested might be a bit slower than the numbers I gave.

Firefly RPG Tool Link

As for the PG-13, I think that will definitely have to be a group vote, however, I would like to keep things tasteful, staying away form vulgar, and troublesome crewmembers that might make other crewmembers, passengers, or players for that matter, uncomfortable. But that really kind of goes without saying, I just like to say it because I haven't played with you guys before and some folks don't have a filter or know where to draw the line. How does everyone else feel about this?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Zhym »

Hi all! Thanks for letting me join the gang!

I bought the PDF (which IMO gets a bit heavy on usin' the old folksy writin' style; a dollop of that there sort of folderol goes a long way, you hear? :D) and have been reading through it and thinking up a character story. Any thoughts on who might fit in with the crew? Another ex-alliance? A Browncoat something or other? I keep trying to work a lawyer into an RPG and noticed the "By the Book" distinction, so that could be fun: either a lawyer from a core planet who ended up out in the backwaters for some reason or maybe a frontier lawyer, if such a thing exists. OTOH, maybe what we need is muscle. Any thoughts?

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#69 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Looks like all good stuff to me. Vacation is going well. I have 3G access on my phone here (cabin near Lake Shasta) but nothing else. I'm trying to keep up on the reading. Long, happy day with swimming, river rafting, and good food.

Welcome, Zhym! Yes, some muscle might be good. A body-building lawyer! :D

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#70 Post by Antman9 »

FantasyChic,

How are feeling about things? Do you want to go over some of the mechanics?

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#71 Post by FantasyChic »

If you take it one step at a time, I should be able to get things. I just couldn't handle that wall of text. If it goes like this I should be able to get it. i got how dice rolls work now so that's a step in the right direction.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#72 Post by Antman9 »

Sounds good. Yep I'm planning on keeping things short, sweet, and simple. Heehee "Wall of Text" that's pretty good, and yes it was. I didn't realize how daunting that would be. We'll tak'er slow from here out. :)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#73 Post by Antman9 »

I'll give Quaid until mid-morning then we'll move forward. He must be having too much fun on vacation. :D

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#74 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Hi, all! Finally back home! The past few days have been so packed with activities with friends that I've just been crashing into bed at night. I did have a bit of "free" time when we had tire troubles on the journey home, but we were in the middle of nowhere in the mountains at the time and I had no phone service.

I still need to figure out the die roller, and I just remembered I need to create a final asset. I'll have to do that tomorrow. For now, I'll plop a quick post in to get off the starting line.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Quaid Slauson wrote:I still need to figure out the die roller...
Click on the 20-sided die in the top right corner of this forum and a new window/tab will open.
Create an account (if you haven't already).
Click on the "Characters" tab at the top of the page.
Click "Create New Character"
Type in your character name and under Campaign ID type in the number "445" - which is the id for this game.

Hope that helps!

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#76 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Quaid Slauson wrote:I still need to figure out the die roller...
Click on the 20-sided die in the top right corner of this forum and a new window/tab will open.
Create an account (if you haven't already).
Click on the "Characters" tab at the top of the page.
Click "Create New Character"
Type in your character name and under Campaign ID type in the number "445" - which is the id for this game.

Hope that helps!
Thanks, Rusty. I was looking for the ID number.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I stole it from one of Jack`s rolls. :D

Antman seemed to be using an on the fly roll, however, so while we have more accountability, it doesnt seem entirely necessary to have the campaign ID.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#78 Post by Antman9 »

Hey All,

Wanted to check in real quick. I hope everyone had an enjoyable and safe holiday weekend (at least those of us in the U.S.). My mother kept me super busy all weekend, and I had an 8 hour drive (one way) for a total of 16 hours drive time. Needless to say I drove all day Monday and was thoroughly exhausted today.

I will be making a couple of posts tomorrow, for sure, so keep your eyes peeled, your backside perched at the edge of your seat, and your breath bated.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#79 Post by FantasyChic »

I was a bit worried seeing no update, then I remembered it was a holiday for us Muricans (which I should have remembered because I worked on Monday and we were SO SLOW at work) so yes, I am still here, and waiting for updates.
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#80 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Eager. Busy. Patient. Excited.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”