OOC 1

Antman9
Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

Re: OOC 1

#41 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Made it home from the weekend trip. It's 1 a.m. and I feel wasted. I know I have some free time tomorrow evening. Good night.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:I could see it would get old if it stops play to deal with it. As a Complication die, it becomes more a part of the scene - the GM uses the die in rolls against you so effectively you are less successful as a PC during times when you're afraid of fire. It is just the thing your guy struggles with, like a Reader getting Paranoid or a Decorated war hero dealing with Guilt. Eventually your character would grow through it and perhaps change to a different distinction/trigger. (That said, I still don't know how/where Antman would implement it as a custom trigger.) Sure, it is a gimmick. But it could be used for depth.
Hey Antman, what are your thoughts on this? I think it would be great to incorporate it, particularly with his Hideous trait. Maybe just add that to the Hideous trait as a trigger (replacing another?)? I would start with that as an unlocked trigger.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Marullus »

For clarity, the proposed Trigger is something like:
  • When faced with fire or a situation that could result in fiery death (engine fires, ship combat, atmospheric entry), create or advance an I don't wanna burn! complication and receive one PP.
Right?

(Personally, I like it. If you are hideously burned by fire and saw other crew-mates immolated to death, I think this is a perfectly plausable PTSD trigger.)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#44 Post by Antman9 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Marullus wrote:I could see it would get old if it stops play to deal with it. As a Complication die, it becomes more a part of the scene - the GM uses the die in rolls against you so effectively you are less successful as a PC during times when you're afraid of fire. It is just the thing your guy struggles with, like a Reader getting Paranoid or a Decorated war hero dealing with Guilt. Eventually your character would grow through it and perhaps change to a different distinction/trigger. (That said, I still don't know how/where Antman would implement it as a custom trigger.) Sure, it is a gimmick. But it could be used for depth.
Hey Antman, what are your thoughts on this? I think it would be great to incorporate it, particularly with his Hideous trait. Maybe just add that to the Hideous trait as a trigger (replacing another?)? I would start with that as an unlocked trigger.
I'm a big fan of playing to a character's weaknesses. The little quirks, weaknesses, vices, etc. drive us more than some realize. This is one of those traits I would keep in the back of my mind and implement during times of high stress for physical/mechanical hazards and occasionally for certain human interactions. It's not something I would pull out all the time, just in situations where it would make an impact on the outcome of a scene. I'm all for it, basically.
DM - Dragons Belch: A New Beginning (Custom D&D)
DM - Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#45 Post by Antman9 »

Looks like you guys have pretty much narrowed down your crewmembers, and are coming close (hopefully) to making final decisions on the ship and shuttles. So how bout we get this here shindig off the ground???

I'm pumped..Anybody else???

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Marullus »

Sounds good. :) I am vacationing the next week, but as long as I don't end up out of cell phone range, I should still be able to check in.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#47 Post by Antman9 »

I'll post the first episode later this afternoon. The intro is mostly written, I just need to give it a revision and a bit of extra fluff. I've got to run do an install. I'll post the episode thread when I return late afternoon.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Character sheet updated. Ready to fly.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#49 Post by Antman9 »

Thanks Rusty...

OK...Episode 1, Act I is posted. I may have been a little panicky, unwilling to poke the "Post" button, there. First time with a new system is always a bit scurry. Worried I might have forgotten something, gotten the feel wrong, messed something up, etc, etc.

Lets walk through this first Beat nice and easy and slow shall we, so as everyone is on board and understands what is happening and what they need to do (including me)? I will make a post tomorrow with steps to go from here. Also, let me know what you think of the intro Act. What changes would you like to see, was there too much, too little, not what you were looking for, etc. We can always modify the opening scene and go from there.

We still need to finish up the ship, shuttles, and Milly's little sister.

Thanks
Antman9 (Marc)

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#50 Post by Antman9 »

How does everyone feel about adding another crewmember? Zhym has shown an interest and asked to be placed on the wait list. We have 5 now, 6 with Milly's little sister.

Should i add him to a wait list or have him join as an active character if he so chooses?

Thanks
Antman9

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#51 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Excited to go check out the setup.

Either way on a new member. I'm generally a the-more-the-merrier kind of guy, as long as the feel and functionality are still good.

I'll also be on vacation starting tomorrow. Should have phone access.

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#52 Post by Antman9 »

Cool, thanks Quaid. Have a good time on vacation. Hope you're doing something relaxing. :D

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#53 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:How does everyone feel about adding another crewmember? Zhym has shown an interest and asked to be placed on the wait list. We have 5 now, 6 with Milly's little sister.

Should i add him to a wait list or have him join as an active character if he so chooses?

Thanks
Antman9
Yeah, if the GM thinks it'll work then the-more-the-merrier (unless everyone starts puking from the tailspin, then the-less-the-better).

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#54 Post by Antman9 »

:lol: You're getting quite the kick out of that tailspin aren't you Jack?

That's a good sign I hope...Thanks for the input on the new player.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

I've played with Zhym in three other games, I'd be excited to have him join.

FantasyChic
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#56 Post by FantasyChic »

I'd be ok with another one added to this. I don't think we should have TOO many people or things could get hectic, but we have a decent amount of people. Enough to keep posts coming semi-regularly without worry.

Just need to make sure to let people know if you will be AFK for any reason. So far two games I've been in have gone down because the GM up and left with no notice.

Not that Antman would EVER do that to us though, right? ;)
Today you are you! That is truer than true! There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

-Dr. Seuss

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#57 Post by Antman9 »

FantasyChic wrote:Not that Antman would EVER do that to us though, right? ;)
Nope! I promised ToniXX I wouldn't do that. A promise is a promise. Plus, I have waited entirely too long for a game like this. I'm afraid you're stuck with me :shock:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Antman9
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#58 Post by Antman9 »

Barring Rusty flat out saying he'll quit if I invite Zhym, which I doubt will happen, I'm going to tentatively PM Zhym and see if he would to join the crew.

Jack
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#59 Post by Jack »

Antman9 wrote:Lets walk through this first Beat nice and easy and slow shall we, so as everyone is on board and understands what is happening and what they need to do (including me)? I will make a post tomorrow with steps to go from here. Also, let me know what you think of the intro Act. What changes would you like to see, was there too much, too little, not what you were looking for, etc. We can always modify the opening scene and go from there.
Is the following correct:
1: Bellerophon, White sun - picked up the OACs,
2: Motherlode asteroid belt, Red sun - picked up Conrad,
3: Covenant, Jubilee, Red sun - we will be here very soon,
possibly later: Persephone, Lux, White sun - drop Conrad off,
possibly later: Sigma six, Penglai, Kalidasa - drop off OACs.

Did we deliver some of the OACs at Motherlode, because Red sun is a very long trip away from the shortest route to Kalidasa?

Does the flashback mini-scene happen before Raise the Stakes: Beat 1?

Would a single action/beat be raising the stakes with something like describing Percy trying to get out of the spin by throwing ship attribute (d? engines), PC skill (d10 fly), and additional skill (d10 focus) dice (which means he's not concentrating anywhere else like what the crew's doing or thinking about where the flash came from)? If that action succeeds, would it take another action to try to land with no (or 1-less) thruster or will landing be the same action/beat?

Is the utility transport big enough to allow a co-pilot (Milly or Edmund)?

Also, the ship's name: do we wait to decide on the final ship stats first, keep the current name Proudhon, or pick something else (Starberry, Tatiana, Daphne, other)?

Edits: engines attribute, not PC attribute, other stuff.

Quaid Slauson
Scout
Scout

#60 Post by Quaid Slauson »

Marc, you know how to start things off with a bang. This should be a good show to watch, let alone be in!

I've never done group play with beats or the like, so I may hesitant to squander anything. I may need a kick in the rear when it's my turn to do something.

Return to “Ying Huo Chóng – The Way of Things (Cortex Plus - Firefly)”