3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

#341 Post by wolfpack »

Where are we? what do you see? is the enemy nearby?

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#342 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

To Jervis, well, if they are they know exactly where to come to find us now. Shush!

Quietly to everyone: I don't know how much ground we will have to fight for again if we leave now but I don't think we could last much longer. Let's go back to town to pay our respects for the departed and heal our living- including returning sight to our warrior here. I wonder about setting fire to their contraband down here. Take away their profits altogether and they may decide to move on. At least they would have fewer resources to be able to fight us. And when we get back to town, remember that we do not know who to trust there. Everything shared in town could go right to one of our enemies to be used against us.

Doubtful eyes the crossbow thoughtfully while waiting for responses from the party, wondering what a piece of artillery like that is positioned here for.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#343 Post by ravenn4544 »

Between spending time as lookout, Ben will alternate by searching the stores littered about for any valuable items that he can pocket or pack on board to sell back in town.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#344 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Brain Numb Baker

Burly listens to Doubtful, yet again, attempt to convince the group to leave for town...irregardless of this being a bad idea, according to those in the group who are more sea savvy.
"I thought we had already covered this," Burly says, rubbing his temples in weariness.
He then lapses into silence while wondering if Granny's Glaze would work on Doubtful's mouth... :mrgreen:
Winter is coming...

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#345 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful shrugs. Here we stay then. Last night was not restful in the cave but we will continue on as best we can.

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#346 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter, not Gnome Sit-around-and-debater

If we are spending the night here again, I'll go do some scouting. With that, he makes his way further up the tunnel, careful to keep an eye out for more traps.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#347 Post by wolfpack »

jervis begins walking until he bumps into something

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#348 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"Proceeding further invites death. I would prefer to commune with Shiliel to gain her healing boons before we venture forth."

Keilif doesn't move any further. He stays put, waiting for the others' response.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#349 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ben spends some time rummaging through the piles of spoils. Other than what was already collected, he finds nothing more of value in the caves.

The fire obsessed Doubtful spins more discord into the group, even going so far as to suggest burning all of the highly valuable contraband to thwart the now defunct smuggling ring that you all almost just died trying to eliminate. Keilif suggests staying together and waiting a full day before proceeding any further. A few other members will have nothing to do with simply waiting around in this damp death filled cavern.

Umrick leads the way, taking with him a small splinter group consisting of a blind fighter and a nearly dead baker turned mage. They slowly make their way down the smelly southern tunnel. They soon locate the source of the stink.

Another dark chamber is soon revealed as the trio rounds the next bend. This one seems to be used for far less pleasant affairs than simple smuggling. A metal table stands against the inner wall of the room. There is a natural stone depression in the rock that forms a large bowl shaped vessel at the head of the table. Inside the depression is a large puddle of a dark green slimy substance that wiggles and jiggles under its own power but can't seem to escape the stone bowl. Umrick remembers this stuff from a little run in he had when he was captured. He rubs the small scar on his arm and shudders visibly.

The rotting smell is coming from the crumpled half naked body that lies decomposing on the metal table. The body could be considered to be lying face down, if it had a face that is. Most of this persons head is dissolved from the base of the neck up. It would seem that it was dipped into the vessel containing the slime many times, eventually dissolving it away completely. There is a familiar looking clarinet-like horn that is broken in half sticking out of the badly torn bottom parts of the body, indicating further that this person did not die in a very pleasant way at all.

Backing away from the dangerous slime and the extremely familiar dead body with the leather boots and canvas pants, the three head around the next bend to find a familiar carved rock stairway that leads up to an obvious secret door. Umrick is sure that this is the secret door that he was brought through before his interrogation.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (250.19 KiB) Viewed 700 times

Scott308

#350 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

I hope that body did not belong to a friend of yours. Whoever it was, they must not have given up whatever information the smugglers were trying to learn. So...do we go back and inform the group of what we've found, which isn't much, really, or continue through the hidden door?
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#351 Post by wolfpack »

the body is most likely that of the orc who originally ventured to the demon house with us.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#352 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Bile-Choking Baker

Smelling the rotten decay is bad enough but when Burly sees the grisly remains of the half-orc who used to be their companion, he turns away gagging, walking back down the corridor, taking several deep breaths to try and keep the bile in his stomach from spewing forth.
"Can we...just head back to the others? If Doubtful wants to burn something, I'd suggest he start here."
Winter is coming...

Scott308

#353 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

If you wish to head back, we can do that.

The gnome will lead the group back to where the rest of the party awaits. Well, there is nothing else to fear in the caves, at least, nothing at the moment. We did discover the source of the foul stench. I'm afraid we found the decomposing body of your orc companion. He had been tortured quite extensively, it appears. From the amount of suffering he underwent, he must have held out for some time without giving them the info they wanted. Info that likely was the number and identities of the people he was with. He must have been a tough, courageous person. When everyone is ready, we can go to the stairs out of the cave.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#354 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

He stands there a moment in silence at the news of their companion. While the sarcastic half-orc caused as many problems as he helped, he had always tried to keep folks safe once the trouble started. Doubtful stares blankly at the floor. Odd funereal lore of a northern tribe pops into his head for some reason. They could all urinate on the body so that the great Wolf Spirit would know the boy's tribe by scent. His death travel would be properly guided then. Too much death over useless trinkets, he thinks sadly, thinking of fine brandy and gaudy bolts of cloth. How pointless.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#355 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

On hearing the news of the loss of their former companion, Keilif mutters a soft prayer to Shiliel, asking that the half-orc be given rest from life's struggle. He then turns to Doubtful for suggestions on their next step.

wolfpack
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#356 Post by wolfpack »

I do not know how useful I cna be with the demons having taken my sight.

I do not fear to fight, I do not fear death, but facing the enemy without being able to see them becomes almost impossible.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#357 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful tries to recall the current time of day based on when he was last near the mouth of the cave.

I think we need to recuperate before tackling more ruffians or worse. If we carefully go up through the house and the coast seems clear then if there is still enough daylight we could sneak back to town going down the hill the way we did before. If someone's there then we might at least find a little better place to defend and rest.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#358 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Doubtful becomes visibly upset by all of the death and killing being done over such simple material items. So much so that he begins to think about urinating on Vhing's headless body.

He knows full well that it is still mid morning as the group has only recently risen after resting for the night in the cave. The group reassembles and the door up the stairs is checked. It is not locked and no noise emanates from beyond it.

It opens into a familiar unoccupied room.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (706.76 KiB) Viewed 678 times

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#359 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful asks for a brief moment with Vhing's body before they return to the house proper.

He has a moment of silence and then does his part to dispatch their comrade to be properly guided by the Wolf Spirit. I wish you peace. In your new home may you either find self-restraint or more understanding brethren. The vile thing trying to escape the stone bowl is an affront on nature, however. Pouring a bit of oil on it, Doubtful lights the thing afire and watches to make sure it will burn properly (while standing well away- he forgets from his reading and stories heard if the things can jump). May this place find a bit more peace in your absence, aberration.

Now, shall we go back into the haunted house, gentlemen?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#360 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Body-Worn Baker

"Lead on," Burly says to Doubtful, and gripping his staff to steady his weary legs, he once again enters the old haunted house.
Winter is coming...

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”