3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: 3) The Return to the Not Exactly Haunted House

#401 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly, the Blue-Fingered Baker

Burly hisses in pain when the needle sticks him and involuntarily squeezes it to bring the blood up...and then he sticks his finger in his mouth...just like he's done since a boy, especially when he scalded his fingers on the stoves and ovens at the bakery.
Watching his finger turn blue was something different, however, and he wonders how long that will last...

Then he carries the small locked box out to the others. "Can someone help me open this lock? I think I've tripped the trap on it already." He holds up his blue finger for emphasis.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#402 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

The sea priest continues to grow more and more reluctant about staying here. He speaks up, "I am for braving the waves and returning to Saltmarsh. There we can nurse our wounds and then return when we are more hale. Burly may have been poisoned, Jervis has been blinded, Jonas is unwell, and the rest of us are not in much better condition."

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#403 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful adds, we wouldn't need to brave the waves at all. We could just walk down the hill like how we returned before when we first visited the house. We could go as a group to retrieve Ben and then walk to town.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#404 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif offers a wan smile to the wise druid, "Of course, my friend. It seems the stress has made me forgetful." He prepares his things for the journey back to Saltmarsh adding, "I'm sure the priests of Shiliel would be more than willing to lend their hand to our cause and bring respite to those in need."

Scott308
Guy Who Gamed With The Famous People

#405 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

We should get ready quickly, then. I don't like the look of Burly's finger, I'm afraid it'll get worse the longer we delay. Get your stuff. In two minutes I leave to get Ben. Umrick will gather his gear, and after two minutes he will remove the barricade from the door to the cave before heading out to meet up with Ben.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

https://www.extra-life.org/participant/Scott Peterson

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#406 Post by coil23 »

We got in enough trouble as an entire group and look at us now. I worry for Umrick and Ben if Umrick goes alone. Let's all go together to gather our companion then back up here to leave down the hill. Then we can visit Keilif's god's temple for aid.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#407 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"Aye, separating the group will only lead to more woe. Let us be off. I fear time is of the essence." Keilif glances at Burly's finger, trying to determine if the discoloration has spread. He then tells the baker, "You must not overexert yourself. I hear poisons spread more quickly the faster your pulse pounds."

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#408 Post by OGRE MAGE »

With the help of the sickly Jonas, the still blinded Jervis, and the now bright blue finger of Burly, the group gets closer and closer to making a final decision as to what should be done next. Jervis is ignored when suggesting a way to kill the worms, not exactly fond of the idea of leaving the shiny plate armor behind but unable to do anything about it himself. Burly asks around for a little help with the locked box that he found but cant get even one other person to acknowledge it. His finger does not hurt but it does look very silly. The priest tells the mage not to exert himself or the poison will surly spread. Then he suggests a 4 mile hike back to town.

It is finally agreed upon to leave the house by the way of the road instead of the sea. They only need to go gather Ben from outside and the group can be off. Ben is found in the boat which is now lined with a bunch of the cloth from the many bolts of silk, making a very nice makeshift sleeping mat inside the dingy. Ben is actually napping when the group finds him. He seems a bit refreshed from the rest as are most of you. After leading the sailor back through the conquered cave complex, past all of the 13 dead bodies of your vanquished foes, you make your way back into the house. Once back inside the cellar "barracks" room, Jonas begins to vomit violently all over the floor of the room. He drops to his knees and looks as though he is about to pass out.

It is about 6:00 in the evening now and the sun is beginning to dip low on the horizon. You think you could make it back to town before it is completely dark out, but you would have to leave right now for that to happen. Please indicate if you are going straight to the temple or if there are other plans in mind first. Thanks.

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#409 Post by ravenn4544 »

Ben reminds the group "we can't forget to bring the boat back to my Captain. Isn't that faster than walking? would sure be a lot easier on ol' Jonas here..."

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#410 Post by hedgeknight »

Burleson Blue Finger

Burly looks at his finger, for probably the hundredth time, as his companions leave the house, walk all the way to the cove to retrieve Ben, and then all the way back to the house...only to have Ben suggest they return by boat!
To add a final nail in this coffin of an adventure, Jonas barfs all over the floor. Burly frowns and turns away...and begins to examine his finger again.
Winter is coming...

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#411 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif rushes to the aid of Jonas, "I fear he has been poisoned by some denizen of the deep." He turns to Doubtful, "Might you know what ails him?"

Scott308

#412 Post by Scott308 »

Umrick Histix, Gnome Fighter

The gnome shakes his head upon seeing Jonas vomit. Burly, let me see that box. I'll try to open it for you. Upon receiving the box, Umrick will use the tip of his dagger to try prying the needle out, before trying to pry the lock open.
Sometimes this summer I will most likely be participating in another 24 hour game of Dungeons & Dragons as part of Extra Life. This organization uses gaming to help raise money to donate to children's hospitals. I'm raising money for Marshfield Children's Hospital in Marshfield, WI, and all money I raise will go to that hospital. All donations are tax-deductible. Please take a moment to check out my donation page below. Thank you.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#413 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful

Shaking his head at the thought of having this group, already starting to drop like flies, back and forth before heading to town, he decides he is the most expendable.

Here it is: Keilif, lead this group back to town now...the overland route down the hill. I hope to meet you all at the temple. I'm going to get Ben. If he has any issues with returning with me then I'll leave him here. We can come back for the boat. And before you ask: if anything happens to the boat then I or my next of kin (eyeing Keilif significantly) will insist the city council reimburses the captain. We won't renege on our trust with the captain. And we won't put up with the council not acknowledging the sacrifices we are making in their stead. Now go while enough of you are still able to travel.

With that, Doubtful marches down through the caves to retrieve Ben. He will insist Ben come with him now back to town (giving brief explanation of what has happened above and plan for the boat they'll be leaving. If Ben balks- he is on his own.). Once that is done Doubtful will hurry back to town via land, trying to reach town before nightfall, hopefully with Ben in tow. If it seems like they can't make town by dark then he will head toward his home if that is closer.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#414 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Nodding his head grimly, Keilif assents to Doubtful's plan. He knows there will be no talking him out it. He grips the druid's shoulder firmly, and adds, "Be careful, and we will await you at the Temple. Shilel speed. " He looks to the others, "We need to be off."

Keilif heads for the nearest exit leading toward Saltmarsh.

Scott308

#415 Post by Scott308 »

Ben is in the house with the rest of us.

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#416 Post by coil23 »

*heavy sigh, laced with self-disgust*

Doubtful sighs (as well)
Ok, let's go. I'll take the rear. Let's hurry while we still have the light. Shall we leave by the back door so we can leave the front door still locked? That will be just one less thing tampered with to arouse suspicions.

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#417 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Once the group arrives all the way back in the basement, Ben reminds them that they need to return the boat to his Captain. Burly has had it with the constant indecision from the group. He practically begs for someone with thieving abilities to take a look at the box he found in Sanbalet's private room. Seeing no one else step up, Umrick the fighter obliges and attempts to pick the lock with the tip of his dagger. As expected, that does not go very well as the blade tip breaks off in the strong metal workings of the lock. It remains sealed tight.

Doubtful is becoming delirious from the smell of the boy Jonas's putrid vomit. He goes through another long suggestion about what to do next that is filled with contradiction and confusion. Again Keilif blindly agrees with the druid leader, not wanting to fill the older man in on the fact that Ben is standing right behind him. The priest of Shileil gets the sick boy to his feet and begins to head to the stairs leading out of the house.

After already spending nearly 24 hours inside this place, the group finally seems ready to leave. Righ up until ....................Doubtful asks yet another question as to how to proceed.
Guys, I know that we are all pressed for time these days but, can I get you to read through my description posts a little more carefully before you post, please? Some of these actions are even confusing me, and I have the module. :lol:

ravenn4544
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#418 Post by ravenn4544 »

Now that Ben is reunited with the party, he will attempt to examine the lock on the small chest and see if he can make anything out of it while the group readiness to depart. "Listen, I'm fine with walking back if everyone else is up for that as long as we come back for the boat... "

coil23
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#419 Post by coil23 »

Doubtful shoos everyone ahead of him as they leave by the back door quietly and head back to town. He gestures to Burly they will get someone to look at his finger and the box back at town. He listens carefully and keeps an eye out for any sign of others still in the house or outside as they leave. As he is the last to leave, he will leave smudges on the floor just inside the door- hopefully to be able to tell if others come through here afterwards.

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#420 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Keilif is relieved to be leaving the house, and his concern for the wounded grows as they make their way along the road. Just before losing sight of the mansion, he pauses and watches for a few moments, making sure there is no sign of anyone remaining in the house or on its grounds.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”