Interlude 4: Reunions!

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Interlude 4: Reunions!

#41 Post by sulldawga »

Zim replies We are not peddlers. We are adventurers, exploring the mountains, and are here to buy supplies like healing herbs for my friend. No, we didn't see any bandits.

I don't care if they find out we're exploring Dwimmer, I'm just trying to avoid paying any taxes on the loot we're bringing in.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#42 Post by Dogma »

Stirling wrote:Quinn Coburg

On the building question he asks"why not start in one of the towers, foundations and walls already in place, maybe muscle too if apeman brings rocks and wood. Any lady apes round here we can trade him with?
"His name's Nilus. And I wouldn't count on much help from him. He's a might touchy in his dealing with us humans." replies Ranulf. "And why would we need to build with stone? Couldn't we just use timber?"

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#43 Post by kalstone »

"A wooden structure would help, but a stone structure would provide the best protection."

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#44 Post by bobloblah »

"It probably makes more sense to start with a wooden palisade and cabin," Galen muses, "We can then have something... more permanent built from that fortified position."

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#45 Post by kalstone »

I'm going by the rules posted in the House Rules thread where a wooden building is equivalent to a tent. So to improve on what we have already, it would need to be stone.

bobloblah
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#46 Post by bobloblah »

Brother Galen wrote:"It probably makes more sense to start with a wooden palisade and cabin," Galen muses, "We can then have something... more permanent built from that fortified position."
kalstone wrote:I'm going by the rules posted in the House Rules thread where a wooden building is equivalent to a tent. So to improve on what we have already, it would need to be stone.
I missed that in the house rules. It makes me think drpete has either never slept in a log cabin, or has never slept in a tent! Anyway, I was thinking more in terms of defensibility. I'm easy, though.
Last edited by bobloblah on Wed May 04, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#47 Post by kalstone »

That's true. I wasn't thinking about defense, just about weatherproofing. It will probably be a while before we can afford a stone structure anyway, so we may as well build a wooden one first.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by drpete »

I'll look at/think about the exposure rules. I think the idea is to make the tent pretty warm, not to make the wooden cabin super cold. The net effect of the rules is that if you are in a wooden building, with a fire going and you are wrapped in a blanket, you are totally warm even in a blizzard, but if you go outside without a cloak in a blizzard and lie down, you will start to freeze to death pretty quickly.

The very worst case is for a soaked character in snowy, windy freezing conditions (basically 6 conditions away from warm). This character in a wooden house (+2 conditions) with a fire going (+1), wrapped in a blanket (+1) would still be cold. If he dried off and walked around until he warmed up (stayed active), he'd be cool but fine.

I wouldn't worry overmuch about this, yet. When winter comes, the top of the mountain will potentially become difficult to get in and out of depending on the weather, but you're not likely to freeze to death down here in the tents.

As for the difference in warmth between a canvas tent vs a cabin, I get ya. The "tent" here is probably better understood to be a well-made tent structure like a yurt rather than something at the level of a modern camping tent. If you set up something not much better than a lean-to, it'll block the wind, but not keep you super warm.

These rules are taken from "In the Shadow of Mount Rotten" which is about playing goblins and orcs in a wasteland, so there are rules for stuff like this, wildfire, etc.
GM: Dwimmermount (ACKS)

Zim: 7/7 | Torgyr: 14/14 | U Tar: 3/3 | Nazares: 6/6| Emm: 9/9 |Quinn: 13/13
Ranulf: 10/10 | Solaine: 12/12 | Liam: 4/4 | X | Randolpho: 10/10 | Audi: 8/8

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Stirling »

Do a few of us want to search for this dwarven door? And does Climent get some more info from the kobold?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by drpete »

During the hour or so that you wait for Galen to meditate, Torgyr can translate for Climent...

You learn that this kobold is called Geto. He is only a few weeks old. The chief kobold, Guran, only recently birthed him, so he doesn't have wide-ranging knowledge.

Do you want to interrogate him further, or go looking for the dwarf door?

City-goers, do you want to get jewelry & gems appraised, knowing the broad outline of how it'll go down? Which ones? He charges a flat 5 sp fee per item to appraise them, and I'll determine which he'd buy on the spot. This fee is cheaper than Adamas, where you've heard of fees being a few percent of the value.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Stirling »

Quinn Coburg

"Torgyr, I know little of your traditions or theirs,"Quinn points at Geto, "But how much would you pay to get your son back? The chiefs' protegony and heir..., Guran might trade safe passage or help for him, despite their capricious nature?".

Quinn will leave Climent and Torgyr to befriend Geto and get him to open up a little more to them. The more info the better, names, numbers, what is this strange magic fire, the undead downstairs, did they chase any other groups inside?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by thirdkingdom »

Plud the Panivorous

While in Muntburg Plud does the following:
*he purchases one pound of comfrey, one flask of military oil, one lantern and ten flasks of common oil, for a total cost of twenty-five gold coins.
*He commissions the production of ten more pounds of comfrey and ten more flasks of military oil, inquiring if he can make payment once the items are ready or if needs to pay in advance.
*He visits a moneychanger and exchanges just enough of their treasure to pay for the purchases, keeping the rest to eventually sending to Adamas.
*He takes two pounds of comfrey from the party's storeroom at the inn.
*Plud begins to make inquiries into the presence of a young lad or lady with a good head for numbers and merchandise who might be looking for work more exciting than the counting houses.
*He also inquires as to who actually owns the land surrounding Muntburg, specifically in the Dwimmermount region, and what, in theory, one would have to do to establish a holding there. He tries to couch his questions in as general terms as possible.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zorroroaster »

If you want to retcon it, Torgyr has enough coin to have floated Plud for the supplies rather than exchange treasure, if that makes it any easier. Or not. Either way. :lol:
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by drpete »

I'm fine with tweaking/retconning the money. I understand you were expecting that to be smoother/easier.

Dogma
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#55 Post by Dogma »

Ranulf will gather up a bit of food from the fresh supplies and will make a visit to Nilus to check on him. The food is a 'peace offering' so the ape-man doesn't club him to death ...at least not right away.

If there is stil enough light left, he will spend some time looking for the dwarven door.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Zorroroaster »

Torgyr listens as Quinn outlines a plan.

"Good idea. He may be of use in more ways than one."

Torgyr spends some time getting to know the kobold better, talking of his own father and what his life was like in an attempt to glean more information from the kobold.

When Ranulf makes to go to search out the Dwarven door, he asks the kobold to accompany them.

"We'll come too. Perhaps we can solve a few riddles while the others are in town."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

kalstone
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#57 Post by kalstone »

Solaine will go with everyone else to look for the door.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by drpete »

Soooo... sorry to be a little confused, but is the group going up the stairs to visit Nilus, or are they going back up the road to look for the dwarf door? It sounds like there's more enthusiasm for doing the door search...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Stirling »

Quinn

If we can door search while the kobold opens up to Torgyr (nice approach btw), and Climent that is all the better. The mercs, Emm and Audi are still at camp. Any further discovery by Bro Galen on the sword apart from it dweomers an enchantment?

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by drpete »

The kobold can keep talking to Torgyr if he and Climent go with on the search, sure. He knows nothing about the location of the door from outside.

Galen only learns that the sword is magical from the spell. Assuming it's got a +x, I'll fill you in when/if that bonus makes a noticeable difference. Any other features would require trial and error experimentation, appropriate proficiencies, or magical research.

Return to “Dwimmermount (ACKS)”