Action Thread 2

Computer +1
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Re: Action Thread 2

#21 Post by Computer +1 »

I say, I umm didn't see you there. Perhaps you know what lies ahead?

Asks Wulfgar with a shaky voice.

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#22 Post by KesselZero »

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS!?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia releases a rare smile and the bit of mistletoe she'd grabbed up between her fingers when the stranger appeared and spoke up. Trusting her companions to size him up and sort it out, she looks back towards what has her totally fascinated: the fungus ladder...

rredmond wrote:The fungus growth (which the druidess can confirm it is) sure does look like a ladder. From above it would have been hard to spot, but dead on like this it's pretty obvious. The fungus is gray and in ladder shape.

As to whether y'all can climb up it... anyone want to get closer, or touch it, or climb it?
The druidess will motion for Son of Thunder and anyone else standing close to the ladder to move back. She sets down her shield, covers her nose and mouth with her cloak, and will poke at it with her spear from as far away as she can. If nothing happens, she'll move over for a closer investigation, in order to confirm if she's ever seen or even heard of anything like it before.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#24 Post by saalaria »

"I can certainly tell you one thing - that growth you are examining sure is tough. I climbed down it and it did not even bend.
Have you seen my companions - the last thing I remember is coming down that "ladder" with them...then darkness"

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger lowers his bow. To the Halfling Priestess he asks, Could it be the touch of that crusty mildew causes a deep sleep? He then sizes up the huge blonde. Your armor is big enough for a horse. Are you any good with that blade?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Argennian »

tkrexx wrote:... To the Halfling Priestess he asks, Could it be the touch of that crusty mildew causes a deep sleep?...
Zafalia was just about to touch the fungi ladder with her naked hand when the ranger proffers his query. She recoils her hand in dismay, a perplexed look screwed upon her visage. She looks back first in his direction and then to the newly-discovered human. "Well, I guess it is possible but..."

The druidess holds her torch close for an intimate inspection. With nose and mouth covered, she'll hold the torch to the ladder to see if anything happens. If it doesn't scream and she notices no secretions or anything suspicious, she'll touch it (not where she did with her torch) with her naked hand to confirm if Son of Thunder's suspicions might be right...
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 9:20a

Not sure if I answered all questions but, the bamboo pipe seems to run straight along the wall at about 25’ up. In the waterfall it sticks out a bit, as a way for the water to get into it. The stream is pretty narrow, except for the part where it pools a bit. There’s a lot going on, and the loss of time is my fault, so let me know if I’m mistaken anywhere and we’ll turn back time and fix it. :)

Ilhalevar, Al’Zur and Malak move north and walk east. They find that the cavern is not as enormous as it sounds. But with the rushing water (the caverns make the stream sound like a river at times) and the drips and echoes (though you are hugging the wall you can see the ends of stalactites hanging all over the ceiling) make the cavern sound bigger. (I’ll update the map.) You have yet to get a good look at that southern exit.

SoT and Zafalia move south and look at the fungus “ladder”. Zafalia pokes at it, nothing seems to happen. Holds a torch to it, it blackens a bit, but she also notices her torch is still sputtering a bit. Then touches it, nothing seems to happen. PM sent.

Everyone is surprised by the awakening of Varkos.

Updated time and consumables. The MO didn’t change, but as you move that’s what I’ll use. We’ll add the big guy when you all move I’m guessing, though he’s already got a spot ;) .

HPs: Malak - 15/15; ?? - x/x; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; ??: ???; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Malak; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 4- Zafalia and Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 10 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 25 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#29 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar moves south to fully explore the room.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger guages Zafalia's reaction after touching the "ladder." If it is safe, I'll climb up and retrieve the rope. May need it again.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#31 Post by saalaria »

"You must be here to explore the caves - right? I was supposed to be doing that with my companions till the accident befell me. Do you know what lies in here?"
Varkos stretches, trying to warm up again since his unexpected doze.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 9:25a

Ilhalevar walks south passing the pool of water in the middle.

The ranger swiftly climbs up the ladder to retrieve his rope. He’s pretty steady even with the wet of a waterfall next to him.

Malak’s torch sputters a bit more than Zafalia’s and the flame seems to wane a bit.

Added Varkos below. Again please let me know if anything is amiss, or in the wrong order.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; Varkos - 22/22; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; Varkos: long sword; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Malak; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Varkos; 4- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 5- Zafalia and Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 5 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 20 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar quickly returns to the main group, looking concerned.

Her voice barely above a whisper, she reports, "There is an exit to the south, guarded by two foul flora, if my guess is right. They hang from the ceiling, like a pair of giant bats, with large filaments coming from petaled maws. I know not what they are, as I've never seen their kind. They do not look natural to me... maybe Zaf has more knowledge of them?"

She frowns.

"And... I believe I heard another waterfall in the distance."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#34 Post by KesselZero »

Bah, no mere plant frightens the Goblinsplitter. Korgul spits on the ground. Show me these "flora" and I'll show 'em my axe.

Although if any of the rest of ye' wanted to come along just in case, I'd not argue with ye.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#35 Post by dmw71 »

KesselZero wrote:Bah, no mere plant frightens the Goblinsplitter. Korgul spits on the ground. Show me these "flora" and I'll show 'em my axe.

Although if any of the rest of ye' wanted to come along just in case, I'd not argue with ye.
Still impressed with Korgul's confidence, Malak discontinues his search of the northeast section of the cavern and scrambles to where the mighty Korgul Goblinsplitter stands.

"You'll need my help." Malak declares, trying (and failing) to match Korgul's confident tone.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Argennian »

tkrexx wrote:The Ranger guages Zafalia's reaction after touching the "ladder." If it is safe, I'll climb up and retrieve the rope. May need it again.
After inspecting and touching the fungi ladder, Zafalia nods to Son of Thunder that it appears safe enough.

Alethan wrote:Ilhalevar quickly returns to the main group, looking concerned.

Her voice barely above a whisper, she reports, "There is an exit to the south, guarded by two foul flora, if my guess is right. They hang from the ceiling, like a pair of giant bats, with large filaments coming from petaled maws. I know not what they are, as I've never seen their kind. They do not look natural to me... maybe Zaf has more knowledge of them?"

She frowns.

"And... I believe I heard another waterfall in the distance."
Zafalia appears intrigued by Ilhalevar's summation. "First fungi ladders and now hanging flora guards? Very interesting. Whomever, or whatever, is down here, appears to have a unique command over this strange fungi. It seems to be a cross between specific and separate species but I cannot be certain yet. The fact that they can mold it to whatever shape they desire is harrowing. Not even my past druidic masters could do such, at least to my knowledge."

dmw71 wrote:
KesselZero wrote:Bah, no mere plant frightens the Goblinsplitter. Korgul spits on the ground. Show me these "flora" and I'll show 'em my axe.

Still impressed with Korgul's confidence, Malak discontinues his search of the northeast section of the cavern and scrambles to where the mighty Korgul Goblinsplitter stands.

"You'll need my help." Malak declares, trying (and failing) to match Korgul's confident tone.
"Before you and Malak have a go at these flora guards that friend Ilhalevar spoke of, Master Goblinsplitter, I too would like to observe them. I am starting to think that we might have discovered a new species of intelligent flora down here. Either that or the application of foul magics..."

Either way, Zafalia makes ready to move forward for a stealthy reconnoiter.

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#37 Post by KesselZero »

Just as well, druidess. Be safe, and come back with actionable intelligence.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by tkrexx »

The Ranger rolls his rope up tightly and re-stashes it in his satchel, then pulls out another torch. Malak, that one appears almost used. So you can be ready. I also would see these hanging mushrooms, and examine the floor close to them. Assuming they are some sort of guards or alarm, if we need to dispose of them, can we do it quietly?

1 torch marked off, rope retrieved.

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#39 Post by saalaria »

Varkos silently surveys the group, uncertain what to do next.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by rredmond »

Just checking, because apparently I'm on a DM roll... who is getting closer to take a peek. And how close. :)

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”