Action Thread 2

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 2

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1 – 9:00a

Updated map here: viewtopic.php?p=9444#p9444
The blue areas are just what cannot be seen in the torchlight radii from where you are. You are at the bottom of the waterfall which is essentially that entry way on the west there. You can see that the stream heads out the south exit, getting a bit wider in the middle of the cavern.

Snapping his rope up and down, Malak is able to get the others to realize he is down and not being eaten by some wandering monster.

Korgul heads down next to protect the thief, while the elven Magic User helps the Ranger steady the ropes. The rest follow and the druid is able to keep her torch lit while getting herself down. It does take some time, and the Ranger finds spiking the floor not so easy. It’s hard but wet, but he’s able to rig up something with a gap in the wall and a spike in the floor. Undeterred he is happy with how it’s secured before he gets himself safely down.

On the way down, particularly because you were all looking for it, everyone sees that bamboo pipe (the druid, ranger and magic user confirm it’s an irrigation pipe) does start about 5’ down from the top of the waterfall. Which means it runs around the wall 25’ up from this area of the floor.

Everyone gets down okay, though definitely wet and the torches continue to sputter. With the wetting it’s a bit cold as well. It takes quite some time for folks to get down, as some are quicker than others. It’s not so bad for it’s only 30’and going down, as you look up you realize going up won’t be as easy.

Updated time and consumables. The MO didn’t change, but as you move that’s what I’ll use.

HPs: Malak - 15/15; ?? - x/x; Ilhalevar - 8/8; Al'Zur- 7/7; SoT - 25/25; Wulfgard - 12/12; Zafalia - 11/11; Korgul - 24/24
WIH: Malak: short sword; ??: ???; Ilhalevar: quarterstaff; Al'Zur: long sword; SoT: Spear, shield; Wulfgard: staff; Zafalia: spear, shield; Korgul: battle axe, shield
MO (10’): 1- Malak; 2- Korgul and SoT; 3- Ilhalevar and Al'Zur; 4- Zafalia and Wulfgard
Consumables: Lantern - 4 hours left (off), 30' radius; Torch, 30 minutes (Malak), 40' radius; Torch, 45 minutes (Zafalia), 40’ radius.
--------Spells: Ilhalevar: 1-2/2; Al'Zur: 1-1/1; Wulfgard: 1-4/4, 2-2/2; Zafalia: 1-4/4, 2-3/3
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Action Thread 2

#2 Post by Alethan »

OOC: On which part of the map is the waterfall we just climbed down? The left side or the bottom? Just want to make sure I'm oriented properly.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by rredmond »

The west, so the left of the map as you are looking at it.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#4 Post by KesselZero »

Ahh, feel that cool cavern air! Korgul breathes deeply, enjoying the refreshing chill. Tis good to be underground again, dwarfin' about. I was starting to feel like nothin' more'n a halfling wearing his momma's toe hair on his chin.

Just so I'm clear about the bamboo pipe-- it runs along the wall parallel to it, passing behind/through the waterfall? Rather than sticking out of the wall perpendicularly?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:The blue areas are just what cannot be seen in the torchlight radii from where you are. You are at the bottom of the waterfall which is essentially that entry way on the west there.
On what side of the stream is the party, to the north or south? I know Malak went to the left on his descent, placing him on the north. Did everyone else follow suit?

Disregard.

Now that I study the map some more, I guess it doesn't really matter as the stream appears to only be about three or four feet wide at its widest point and should be easy to cross.

Malak begins to carefully examine the northern wall of the cavern, slowly making his way towards the currently unknown region to the far east side of the cavern.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by tkrexx »

After taking in what he can see of the large chamber both from above and ground level, the Ranger stares back up to the ledge he just left. Only the rope, he whispers, almost to himself. No steps, no handholds, not even clawmarks, just wet stone, slippery as ice. If this is indeed the origin of the disappearances, how did anything get out of here? His eyes move to the the opposite (south) side of the waterfall and narrow sharply. Wait, what is that? Is that some sort of growth? Almost absentmindedly he then "sheaths" his spear (running it thru a leather loop on his belt, then sown between the straps of his satchel, balancing so it points forward), draws his bow and readies an arrow, and moves to get a better look at the odd surface. Once again he scans the floor quickly for any sign other than his party.

1 iron spike marked off, rope left hanging from the ledge.

edit: New info garnered.
Last edited by tkrexx on Fri May 18, 2012 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

The stream is narrow, except for that one part where it pools to a whopping 5 or 6 feet wide.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar moves to the north side of the stream and, quarterstaff at the ready, makes her way East to further examine the room.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by tkrexx »

Hopping over to the south side of the stream, Son of Thunder gets close to the area near the waterfall and examines the bizarre formations on the wall. With the tip of an arrow, he taps it here and there, then bends to check the floor. Something has been here, and has apparently climbed these...whatever these are, as a ladder. Zafalia? he calls to the Halfling Priestess. Is it me, or does this crusty surface resemble some form of mold?

What color is it?

Argennian
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Argennian »

Zafalia takes back up her spear and shield when she reaches the cavern floor. She looks slowly and carefully all around the cavern, especially the ceilings, as the others make ready and prepare to move forward.

tkrexx wrote:Hopping over to the south side of the stream, Son of Thunder gets close to the area near the waterfall and examines the bizarre formations on the wall. With the tip of an arrow, he taps it here and there, then bends to check the floor. Something has been here, and has apparently climbed these...whatever these are, as a ladder. Zafalia? he calls to the Halfling Priestess. Is it me, or does this crusty surface resemble some form of mold?

What color is it?
The halfling druidess makes her way over toward the ranger, sputtering torch held high for the most light and looks to examine what he's found.
Yosef Travathas: High Elf Fighter4/Magic-User3 (rredmond's Pacesetter Games "Legacy of the Unknown" OSRIC Playtest)
Brok Sterling: Human Assassin3 (ToniXX's Incursion into Newiron OSRIC Playtest)
Tanik Tremwoodak: Dwarf Cleric3 (Dave's 1e Skype Game)

DM: home-brew OSRIC "A New Hope to the West" campaign

Fireball... good!!

"What's it gonna take?"
"Everything."
tkrexx as Emm the Avenging Druid wrote:I shall burn you, and I shall sink your petty warship with fire and lightning, and the ocean shall swallow it and all aboard, and no one will remember any of you!

KesselZero
Runner
Runner

#12 Post by KesselZero »

Can we use it to climb back up, ye think? the dwarf calls over to his companions studying the growth on the wall. If not, ought we to smash it?

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by rredmond »

The fungus growth (which the druidess can confirm it is) sure does look like a ladder. From above it would have been hard to spot, but dead on like this it's pretty obvious. The fungus is gray and in ladder shape.

As to whether y'all can climb up it... anyone want to get closer, or touch it, or climb it?

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by saalaria »

"Ohhhh....where am I?"
Varkos sits up and rubs his eyes.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by tkrexx »

Quick as a serpent, the Ranger turns and draws back an arrow, aiming at the sound of an unfamiliar voice. WHO ARE YOU?? he demands.

Welcome to the game!

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Malak begins to carefully examine the northern wall of the cavern, slowly making his way towards the currently unknown region to the far east side of the cavern.
Malak freezes in place as Son of Thunder barks out an order and draws a bead on an unknown identity.

Malak is still determined to continue his examination the northern wall of the cavern in an attempt to get a better look at the unknown region to the far east, but halts his progress and readies his sword at the potential of a newfound danger.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Nuke66 »

Al'Zur stops when the dialogue begins, neither wanting to give away his position, nor create enough noise to overwhelm his hearing. He simply stops and listens.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by Alethan »

Ilhalevar turns her head and hides her smile.

It's about time everyone else noticed the young man laying on the ground!

saalaria
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by saalaria »

"Whoa, where did you lot come from? Where is Barco, Rengel and the others?"
Varkos has an only-just woken up kind of look on his confused face.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by tkrexx »

Son of Thunder watches the large man get up...up...and more up, hears his words, then his eyes dance over to Ilhalevar. Seeing her amusement, the Ranger is forced to realize either this hulking brute in noisy armor somehow snuck up on him, or had been here all the while and gone unnoticed. His bow arm relaxes a bit. This is ...unexpected.

Return to “Pod-Caverns Of The Sinister Shroom”