Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

AleBelly
Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

#221 Post by Zhym »

"Well, that was a fat waste of time," says Angus when the goblins have left. "Didn't even get to kill me some goblins, either, thanks to Hellebore the mush-hearted. 'Make babies?' Them buggers come back and kill a bunch of your kin, don't say it wasn't expected."

"And much as I like looking for trouble, we should get our asses back to town. Or mules, I suppose." He pats Beelzebub on the shoulder. "Anyhow, we ought to figure out why Sambord never heard back and what the heck happened to Chet and Kal-elf. Orcs'll keep."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#222 Post by Marullus »

(I didn't mean to railroad that. Was just expediting forward. If someone wants to stop Hellebore's release of the goblins, go for it.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#223 Post by Zhym »

No worries. I'm all in favor of expediting.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#224 Post by tkrexx »

I got some things to take care of in Alleborg, might take me a few days, Hyde nods. Maybe pick up some new knowledge, see what's been happening since we been there. I recall we were told about that Dragon, yeahh, two sources now confirm it. That be something we ought prepare for, even if we ain't what we be afta. I'd hate to run inta that when we ain't ready. He moves uneasily. We need be careful in Alleborg, yeahh, real careful, maybe stay outta sight if we can.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#225 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny- "Well then, the comforts of town. A nice warm soup, maybe a bath, and probably a knife in the back. I'm with you Hyde--we'd better be careful in town. Especially after we show the treasure to the guard."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#226 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore grumps. "I'll check on our cabin and retainer... I don't like town."

"We need a lead on Chet, though." She pauses and signals Rrkox to look for Chet then go to the Cabin.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#228 Post by tkrexx »

Hyde spares a look to Yenny. I think maybe we ought all visit the cabin first, hah? Maybe Yenny can see if we accidentally got some evil working for us? I promise, no one will get yelled at this time... Unless there indeed be evil there.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#229 Post by Zhym »

"Yeah, might as well stop by the cabin first," agrees Angus.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#230 Post by enn.in.me »

Hyde spares a look to Yenny. I think maybe we ought all visit the cabin first, hah? Maybe Yenny can see if we accidentally got some evil working for us? I promise, no one will get yelled at this time... Unless there indeed be evil there.
"Can do Hyde--if we spend the night."

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#231 Post by AleBelly »

Marullus wrote:Hellebore grumps. "I'll check on our cabin and retainer... I don't like town."

"We need a lead on Chet, though." She pauses and signals Rrkox to look for Chet then go to the Cabin.
Will update tomorrow. Just wanted to remind you that Hellebore had already sent Rrkox out to look for Chet this morning. The raven has not yet returned.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#232 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion awaits the plan. She isn't one to suggest much in the way of travel and directions.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#233 Post by Zorroroaster »

Sorry all...new job. Life took over!

Arnulf sighs heavily at the sight of the goblins heading south.

"To the farmhouse, then? I think I should see Aphoz after recent events, hopefully he doesn't reduce me to cinders for my indiscretion."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#234 Post by Marullus »

Will Rrkox and the Eagle find me at the farmhouse, or do I need to remain with Hellebore's mother until they're back?

What is the travel time from Hellebore's mother's house to the farmhouse?

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#235 Post by enn.in.me »

And we have to stop by the halfwayling house to get the treasure.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#236 Post by AleBelly »

Marullus wrote:Will Rrkox and the Eagle find me at the farmhouse, or do I need to remain with Hellebore's mother until they're back?

What is the travel time from Hellebore's mother's house to the farmhouse?
Rrkox was sent after Chet using her training, so no SWA was needed there. But, the raven would expect to meet here from the place that they parted company - so at Hellebore's mother's. Since Hellebore spoke to the eagle, she could have left it with instructions on where to meet.

The farmhouse and Hellebore's mother's place are about eight and a half miles apart, but they are traveling within the safe zone which offers many roads and easily travelled terrain. So it should only take 3-4 hours to make the trip.

And as Yenny said, all of the treasure is at Hellebore's mother's place.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#237 Post by tkrexx »

Wouldn't botha me none to spend anotha night with Mama Hobbit, no. Hyde grins. That's some good stew she makes, yeahh!

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#238 Post by AleBelly »

To the dismay of some of her companions, Hellebore grants the goblins safe passage south.

"Very kind master!" proclaim the two charmed goblins. The other two, clearly unfamiliar with the concept of mercy, grab their possessions as quickly as possible. "Yes. Never come back!" they all agree, looking from Hyde to the eagle to Angus to Dandelion. Hellebore enters a trance, shrilly calling back and forth to her eagle. The conversation ends with an enthusiastic cry as it takes to the air, and swoops the goblins, who dash into the forest to the south.

The group trudges through thick snowy forest back to the patrolled zone and the house of Hellebore's mother. They smell her signature fish stew before they see the domicile. Hyde's stomach rumbles. Lorilee is standing guard, and lowers her bow when she sees them return. The raven is waiting patiently for them on a timber near the house, perhaps to keep some warmth against the brisk wind. It croaks with joy as Hellebore appears, and flies around her head excitedly, repeating the same pattern of croaks.

I'll assume, to move things along, that Hellebore will use her remaining SWA to learn what the raven wants (don't click on the spoiler if you don't wish to do this please, Marullus.
"Saw blue-robe!"squawks the raven. "Near fort. Heading to sunset (west). Tempus too. And four more. Can't come back now said blue robe. Has job to do."
Date: 20 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 16:10
Conditions: 33F, west wind at 13 mph, light snow showers, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect: None
Light bearers: Sunlight, 80 minutes left
Intended Direction of Travel: Hellebore's house
Injury Status: Dandelion slightly wounded

Edit: You might want to hold off on actions until tomorrow. I'm having some challenges determining the consequences of different parties' actions right now, so the information the raven may have could improve. I'll let you know...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#239 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore looks upset as she finishes quorking at the Raven. "Chet is fine. We missed him. He is with Tempus and on a mission with the Sambords." She looks like she is torn, wanting to say more, but doesn't. After a moment she sighs and adds, "Dinner. Rest. Tomorrow we go to see Castleman and the bank. Hyde sees his friends. Arnold gets back to full strength."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#240 Post by Zhym »

"Well ain't that something?" says Angus. "Chet must have moseyed down to Sambord while we were wandering around lost. That or the Sambords lied to us."

The woodsman's leathery face scrunches up. He pokes a finger in one ear and digs around. "What's the mission, do you reckon? I can't see as they'd send a handful of people to fight orcs any more'n they'd send us, even if the others did let 'em feel their danglies. You suppose they heard that we knocked down some of the nasties in No Go and decided to swoop in and loot what might be looted?"

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”