Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

AleBelly
Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Chapter 9 - At the Sambords

#41 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus leans back and whispers "If he was that smart he wouldn't be crying about a foul that WE perpetrated and if he was that good he wouldn't be having this hissy fit with something to hide. Suck it up and learn your spell's!"
Greys Campaign.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf stares at the Druid a moment and then shakes his head.

"Ok, be that way. With an attitude like that you'll find yourself alone pretty fast. That should be fun."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Storm11 »

The Druid nods eagerly. "More so than hanging around with you cry baby hairy backed Mary's indeed!"
Greys Campaign.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by tkrexx »

You got yer panties all caught in yer chocolate star fish
:lol:

Wasn't Angus that done it, or really Yenny either, no, it was me, Hyde speaks up again, re-fitting the silver bag on Sucks. Angus didn't know nothing about it. That was my biggest mistake, not telling yous guys. It ain't nobody but me Jobin should distrust, and I feel bad about this mess, yeahh, real bad. He finishes with the bag and turns. I still be willing to allow the magics touch, but I think maybe Angus be right. Maybe some night we can all sit around a fire out in the cold, hah? And bleed together back to back trying not to die? I think maybe then we can be good pals. And Angus speaks the truth when he says it was him who demanded we come this way to help you, Jobin. It was his concern for the Sambords that led to my screwing this meeting up. I'll wait for you, Hellebore, if you want to check on them palefaces, but I think maybe I'll wait right here.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

"You can save it, Hyde," Hellebore tells him gently. "You and Angus are so full of honor you apologize at the drop of a hat, just to make sure things are right. Jobin here made it clear, and has been clear since he first met us. There's right and there's wrong... And he's right and we're wrong. As he just said, we already admitted wrongdoing when meeting him the first time, and so he shan't ever offer condolences to my mother. Your apologies are weakness to him, not honor. Feeling right means he never has to be sorry. Let's just go."

She turns to Tempus and speaks to him in the fluid language of their kind.
Travel safe, and I hope we meet again. All water is one, all rivers flow to the sea, and our ways will cross, I feel it. Mark the symbol of an otter to convey me a message. When I see it, I will know.

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus replies in their own tongue
"Thank you mistress, may your journey be swift and safe, on eagles wings. The symbol of the tree I will look for should you need me also. Fair tidings my kinswoman,"
The dreadlocked Druid bows stiffly and looks to Jobin.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion can only look around, completely befuddled.

I do not understand what is going on. We came specifically to this place to help. Now we are to walk back to Alleborg. How do we kill orcs from there?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#48 Post by enn.in.me »

Yenny heads over to her equipment and begins to don her armor.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by AleBelly »

Jobin listens to Angus' impassioned monologue. "We can muster a force of two hundred. Maybe more. You must understand that adding eight more does little for us. We are still vastly outnumbered. And you seem quite unwilling to take orders. You would not be useful to us in a battle. In the name of Perun, you can't even coordinate amongst yourselves. We seek a force from Alleborg to attack the orc fortress. Your team could be valuable as skirmishers, or quietly invading from the flank. But I would not trust my men's lives fighting alongside you. Half of you would probably just do what you want anyway. Life behind the bricks of Alleborg have afforded you the luxury of ignoring authority. Not so here."

To Hellebore's statement on remorse, he simply replies "Mothers dwell here too." After an uncomfortable pause, he says to all "I do not wish to break up your group, but if you wish to stay, Tempus, an official will be by to outline the terms of your stay here and to determine how you might be useful to us. Yana found the terms acceptable. Perhaps you will too."

Jobin leaves, and roughly an hour later, a woman enters with two guards. At first, all the party sees is her striking red hair, as she is talking to individuals behind her in a soothing tone. Four slaves, indeed those liberated by the party earlier, enter. They are two humans and two half-orcs. None are nearly as pale as they were weeks ago, and they look much healthier. The woman turns to face you, and she reveals a beautiful visage and a charming smile. "Greetings, liberators! I am Leylana. I was told you wish to check on the former orc-slaves?" She shows no signs of being aware of any conflict.

The prisoners clearly recognize their captors. One smiles. One looks anxious, and whispers something to Leylana. She places a hand on the prisoner's back. "No, they aren't here to take you" she replies delicately.

Actions

Date: 19 Hewing, Year 42
Time: 08:30
Conditions: 32F, light fog, SSE breeze at 5 mph, 6 inches of snow on the ground
Known Spells in Effect:
Light bearers: Sun
Intended Direction of Travel:
Injury Status: none

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zorroroaster »

Arnulf just goggles at the red-haired woman. Openly. As in, can't close his mouth. It's the closest he's seemed to his old self since Town No Go.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Angus stands up straighter and sucks in his gut. He licks the palm of one hand and uses it to slick back his hair. He wracks his brain for the right thing to say to a woman such as the one standing before him. He knows he must speak soon, less the silence become awkward. But what to say? What to say? Then he knows! The perfect opening!

"Ma'am," he says with a nod.

Nailed it!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Marullus »

Hellebore steps forward slowly, signalling the wolf and birds to remain behind. Rrkox flaps in protest. She steps past Leylana without a look and talks to the four in low tones, her words as soft and comfortable as she can make them, listening intently to what they say and what they don't. About the last few weeks.

enn.in.me
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#53 Post by enn.in.me »

Fully armored, Yenny comes back to the group. She looks up at Leylana, and over at the former prisoners. "They're looking good dear. Have you been the one in charge of helping them regain some joy in life?"

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods to Jobin that that is acceptable and steps aside, greeting Leylana and the freed people as they come, fluffy at his side, waiting patiently.
Greys Campaign.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by onlyme »

Dandelion looks over the representative, and decides to skip the small talk.

Leylana, I'm Dandelion. I just love what you've done with your hair. You just gotta tell me your secrets to keeping it so shiny.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by tkrexx »

Once again a thing of beauty is lost on Hyde, and he seems more interested in the former slaves. How 'bout them with child? You know the bulk of them kids be Orcs, hah? Nothing more, nothing less. Don't look for any like me, no, ain't many of us cross-bloods be like me. You got plans for that?

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by AleBelly »

Leylana smiles at Angus and Arnulf. She doesn't quite flirt, but neither is she abashed by the attention. This is not a new situation for her. "Gentlemen" she nods, smiling genuinely. She steps aside to allow Hellebore to pass but says softly. "Be careful, my friend. They have seen little kindness in their life, and are easily frightened."

To Yenny, she smiles. "That is one of my duties here, yes. But it is a community effort. Many have aided in resettling the former captors. But I can't speak to joy. We've not had much of that here lately. I venture to say that their station in life has improved, however."
onlyme wrote:Dandelion looks over the representative, and decides to skip the small talk.

Leylana, I'm Dandelion. I just love what you've done with your hair. You just gotta tell me your secrets to keeping it so shiny.
Leylana approaches Dandelion, and takes a strand of the half-orc's red curly hair between her fingers. "I should be taking hair care tips from you, dear!" she laughs. "But I cannot recommend buffalo tallow highly enough. It does illuminate my hair!"
tkrexx wrote:Once again a thing of beauty is lost on Hyde, and he seems more interested in the former slaves. How 'bout them with child? You know the bulk of them kids be Orcs, hah? Nothing more, nothing less. Don't look for any like me, no, ain't many of us cross-bloods be like me. You got plans for that?
In response, Leylana approaches Hyde. If he does not obviously object, she delicately places her hands on his shoulders. "Such self-loathing. Many human societies assume the worst of your kind. We have found that those that have both orc and human blood coursing through their veins act badly because that's all that's been expected of them. Here, we treat them as equals. We do not prejudge. At least, most of us don't. And they have proven to be valuable warriors and hunters. Yes, some have tempers, but we raise our orc-men and orc-women with respect. And they are good people."

Hellebore converses in quiet speech with the prisoners. One male and female are too afraid to engage in conversation, and the other two are hesitant. The guards watch Leylana uneasily, but she betrays no concern. The prisoners communicate, however haltingly, that they have been treated very well. Two are being trained as gardeners. Another has shown talent as a fletcher, and one is being trained to serve as a watchwoman.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Zhym »

Angus relaxes slightly, his smile changing from flirtatious to warm. "It's a fine thing your doing with these poor folks," Angus tells Leylana. "We ain't on the best of terms with your chief right now, but if there's any way we can help you, just say the word and we'll find a way. Maybe one day, if you get to know us, you'd even see fit to put in a good word for us with Jorbin. I reckon there ain't a man alive who can say no to you." He risks a friendly wink.

He turns to Hellebore. "Satisfied? If so, we'd better get a move on. It'll be dark by the time we reach town as it is. We can't afford to dawdle any more."

"Ma'am," he says again to Leylana by way of farewell.

He looks at Tempus and offers a shrug. "I know we ain't rightly been pals these few days we known each other. Still ain't quite sure why. But best of luck anyway, and I hope you'll be happy with the folk of this here fort. I'm sure you'll be plenty useful. And, uh, try not to get killt by orcs."

After making sure everyone's ready to go, Angus sets out north by northeast for Alleborg.

tkrexx
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by tkrexx »

Many human societies assume the worst of your kind. We have found that those that have both orc and human blood coursing through their veins act badly because that's all that's been expected of them.
Hah, Hyde agrees as if suddenly enlightened, Yeahh, I judge most Half-Orcs, too. Most of 'em be kinda bad, or at least unfriendly. He again turns his attention to the recipients of Hellebore's ministrations. Them palefaces, they spook easy, hah? They even be scared of a Hobbit. 'Course, she scares me sometimes... I think maybe I best stay clear of 'em. I scare most folks as it is. They been scared enough, I think.

Tempus, ya little rope-head, you come calling, hah? Come say Hello from time to time. The Half-Orc offers his huge hand to the Halfling Druid. You get the itch to move about again, ya know how to find us!

Storm11
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Storm11 »

Tempus nods at Angus, "Good journey ranger. I shall hopefully be of some assistance to these folks and try and turn the tide somewhat here, I know not yet how. There is no bad blood between us as far as I am concerned, and I wish you well." he offers his small hand in the traditional fair the well gesture.

"Thank you Hyde," he says shaking the big guys large paw. "Try and keep these folks in line, and safe. Good journey! May the spirits of the land and air watch over you all and keep you safe. Until we meet again!" he says, hugging the women in turn and taking the men folk by the hand, and finally scratching each of Hellebores animal friends affectionately. He will stand and wave them off as the company leaves, until they vanish from sight.
Greys Campaign.

Return to “The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)”