Action Thread 3

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Action Thread 3

#1 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - 1:50am

I’m assuming that the door to the room gets closed, though the noise probably traveled. Updated the map a bit. :)

Ears ever open for any shuffling feet or approach of enemies, the group searches the basilisk area, and cautiously heads to where they guess the nest to be.

The area is quiet very quiet and the night sky is pretty clear at this point, with Phanstern’s lantern it is pretty easy to check out the whole place. Freda is able to get her arrows back, unbroken. This part of the inner yard is definitely sectioned off by that 10 foot high wall that stretches all the way across. A definite barrier for low slung lizards.

Searching the alcove/nest, the party is somewhat disheartened as they realize it’s mostly worthless, broken mundane items. Much of the good stuff probably turned to stone with their owners. But there are three things, under the rubble (the basilisks keeping them safe perhaps) that are found. A potion flask, filled with a white liquid, a sealed scroll tube and an arrow in excellent condition.

Before they can really investigate their cool findings, they hear voices from above. Orcish voices that cause everyone to draw weapons and get against the walls. Phanstern is able to mask the beam of the lantern quickly. Most of you know Orcish, but those who don’t can get the whispered translations of those who do:

Voice 1: “I tell you I heard something and saw a light.”
Voice 2: “There isn’t a punishment scheduled tonight, you just heard the lizards roaming as they do.”
1: “And the light?
2: A pause and then a sarcastic, “the sky is full of them.”
1: “What if there’s enemies in the courtyard?
2: A laugh then, “Then the lizards or the cursed-one-of-Shargaas will take care of them.” More laughing that seems to move away.
1: “But…”
2: “Then look down you idiot… you know the lizards can look up too, a statue up here would break up the monotony. Patrol the outside as ordered, enough with the courtyard.”

Then both obviously move away.

Ah, if only you were using torches instead of that bulls-eye lantern! Lucky! I won’t assume anything else. The 10 foot wall is makeshift, but sturdy, there are no apparent openings and statues line it. You’ve searched the entire area and are all crunched in to this alcove.

HPs: Elwita - 40/54; Ogre - 17/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 39/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 16/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hour, 39 minutes) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Alethan: I'm good with NOT pressing our luck this time.
mjulius: That's how I know I'm home.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Leitz: Quality and quantity wise, I think US is the best I've seen.
Paladin: I can promise terror, glory, and riches...or a quick and brutal death.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!
Rex: I can move to the wait list to let someone else into the game.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Action Thread 3

#2 Post by migellito »

Very quietly, Phanstern whispers "cursed-one-of-Shargaas? That sounds serious."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Freda picks up the potion, the scroll tube, and the arrow.

She passes the scroll over to Dread and asks, "Dread, can you try and read this?"

Then she more closely examines the potion and the arrow. Does the potion appear to be very fluid-like? Or more like a cream or paste? Are there any distinguishing features about the arrow?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by rredmond »

The arrow is finely made and sturdy. Hefting it you can tell its one of the finest you've seen. The potion appears to be liquid, the bottling would suggest regular, drinkable liquid as well.
This is a game about killing things and taking their stuff so you can become more powerful in order to kill bigger things and take even better stuff.
Pulpatoon: The whole point of PbP is to take the scheduling pressure off the game. We're just chatty because we're so eager!
Scott308: ...everyone should be reminded of just how wonderful the people they play games with here can be in real life.
Inferno: Come on! That's was Vicar's Head, a completely different doomed village!

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#5 Post by Nuke66 »

OOC-not metagaming, but can't pass up a chance. - rolling a WIS check

[1d20] = 6 wisdom check

As the other party members are sorting through the loot, Eljasess carefully begins to dig the eyes out of the foul creatures.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by Alethan »

Freda holds up the potion and says, "I've not idea what this is or how to test it... If it is a potion that restores flesh from stone and is meant to be drunk, then it is a poorly designed potion indeed. So who knows what it is for. Anyone willing to give it a sip? She looks over at Dread as she says, "Hopefully we'll have better luck with the scroll..." She then holds up the arrow, "What I wouldn't give for another 19 of these... too bad there's just one. But... the craftsmanship is so fine; maybe it's not meant for firing?"

She holds the arrow out in the palm of her hand and says, "North. South. Exit.". If nothing happens, she says, "Treasure. Gems. Gold. Magic." If still nothing happens, then she shrugs and sticks the arrow into her quiver.

So there are no markings of any kind on the arrow, then? Just making sure...

Freda notices Eljasess out of the corner of her eye, gives him a skeptical look and says, "Gah! What are you doing?"

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by rredmond »

No markings or anything else obvious about the arrow. It doesn't act as compass, or even twitch, when commanded in your hand. :)

Delgath looks at the scroll tube, rolling it around a bit. "It's a standard scroll case, sealed at one end. There's definitely something in there, though it seems heavier than a scroll," he shakes it back and forth and you can hear a real quiet thud of something moving inside a bit. "The opening end is a little different than normal, instead of the normal pop-off kind of tube, it looks as if it's grooved, like perhaps a twist-off cap. Not totally unheard of, but not normally used because, well of the time factor. It takes longer to twist off then just a one-thumb pop-off. Also, it's tethered to the tube..." he finishes confused. Looking close you see a small chain, that is hooked into a fine metal loop embedded in the cap, and one embedded in the case. "There's something I've never seen... not a bad idea, but someone really didn't want to lose this cap." He looks around at the party after finishing.

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#8 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Freda holds up the potion and says, "I've not idea what this is or how to test it... If it is a potion that restores flesh from stone and is meant to be drunk, then it is a poorly designed potion indeed. So who knows what it is for. Anyone willing to give it a sip?
Blodgett pauses for a moment, then says, feebly "I'll sip the potion."
"Sir, our research shows that the bird is equal to or greater than the word."

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#9 Post by migellito »

"The first thing that comes to mind is that someone has put a lightgiving spell on a rock or something and secured it inside that tube. Either that, or a coin with an explosive glyph on it, I'd say."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by Alethan »

"What if it is just a wand in a scroll case and it's really important so they didn't want to loose it by having the cap fall off? Maybe it is a wand of Stone to Flesh spells! We could free ALL of these people here and have an army!"
The glint slowly leaves Freda's eye.

"Or... we could just free our friend."

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#11 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:"What if it is just a wand in a scroll case and it's really important so they didn't want to loose it by having the cap fall off? Maybe it is a wand of Stone to Flesh spells! We could free ALL of these people here and have an army!"
"Bah, let me open the darn thing." Elwita grumbles. "Magic, if that's what you're worried about, has never really affected me before, and I don't plan on letting it now.... if it is even magic." She reaches for and takes the scroll case from Dread before taking a few steps away from the rest of the party.

With the end to be opened pointed away from herself and her companions, Elwita opens the scrollcase.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

rredmond
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by rredmond »

Day 1– In the complex - 1:42am

Eljayess is able to get a total four relatively unharmed eyeballs from the basilisks. Looking up, forearms covered with basilisk blood, her broad smile lessens a bit to see the looks any nearby fellow party members are giving her.

ToniXX wrote: Blodgett pauses for a moment, then says, feebly "I'll sip the potion."
Blodgett takes a small sip of the potion and stands for a few moments then… PM sent
dmw71 wrote:...
With the end to be opened pointed away from herself and her companions, Elwita opens the scrollcase.
After only about a quarter turn, the cap falls off and a beam of light illuminates the wall. After a few seconds, Elwita can see that the light doesn’t seem to be causing the wall any damage.

HPs: Elwita - 40/54; Ogre - 17/45; Delgath - 25/25; Karraway - 31/42; Blodgett - 25/25 ; Freda - 39/40; Phanstern - 25/25; Eljayess - 16/25; Kayen - 25/25
WIH: Elwita: war hammer, shield; Ogre: Long sword (20' radius light), shield; Delgath: Staff; Karraway: mace, shield; Blodgett: short sword; Freda: long sword, shield; Phanstern: dagger, lantern; Eljayess: Spear, shield; Kayen: long sword, shield
MO: Blodgett, Elwita, Freda, Ogre, Eljayess, Phanstern, Delgath, Kayen, Karraway
Consumables: Bullseye Lantern (Phanstern) - (1 hour, 31 minutes) 80' radius, 10' wide beam; Torch (none lit, 60 minutes), 40' radius.
--------Spells: Delgath 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1: Karraway: 1-5/5, 2-5/5, 3-2/2: Phanstern: 1-4/4, 2-2/2, 3-1/1; Eljayess: 1-3/4, 2-3/3; Kayen: 1-3/3, 2-2/2

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:
dmw71 wrote:With the end to be opened pointed away from herself and her companions, Elwita opens the scrollcase.
After only about a quarter turn, the cap falls off and a beam of light illuminates the wall. After a few seconds, Elwita can see that the light doesn’t seem to be causing the wall any damage.
migellito wrote:"The first thing that comes to mind is that someone has put a lightgiving spell on a rock or something and secured it inside that tube.
To Phanstern: "Somehow you seemed to know whatever this thing is."

Pause.

"Do you want it?"

"I figure this... Searches for word. ...lantern-like thing could be helpful for a human without the ability to see in darkness."
-- Project --
-- DM --

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#14 Post by ToniXX »

Blodgett ponders the potion that he just sipped, then reports "I feel stronger, just a little, mind you, as I just took a sip. Stronger, but not healthier, just stronger. Am I making sense?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

rredmond wrote:
dmw71 wrote:...
Freda watches on with curiosity.

"So... it's like a permanent light source placed on a wand or rod that provides a focused beam of light? Interesting! I wonder what people call it... Light Shiner? Light Ray? Light Maker? Rod Light? No... Lighter Pointer? Ummm... hmmm. It's a magical light. Magic Light. That's too long and terribly obvious..."

She chews on her lower lip as she works it out.

"Magic Lite? Still too long. Magic... magic... magi? Mag? Mag! Mag Lite. Oh! I got it! How about we call it Maglite"?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

ToniXX wrote:Blodgett ponders the potion that he just sipped, then reports "I feel stronger, just a little, mind you, as I just took a sip. Stronger, but not healthier, just stronger. Am I making sense?"
Freda smiles to see Blodgett not dead. "Well done, Blodgett! That should come in handy, I have no doubt! Too bad none of these things are able to help our rigid friend..."

ToniXX
Site Admin
Site Admin

#17 Post by ToniXX »

Alethan wrote:Too bad none of these things are able to help our rigid friend..."
As Blodgett caps the potion bottle, he nods at Freda's remarks. 'Aye'. He then looks wistfully over his shoulder, back towards where Karraway stands in his stony vigil.

migellito
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#18 Post by migellito »

"Since that scroll tube light can be put out quickly, and won't blow out, I think someone in the front should carry it. They could even strap it to their shoulder or something, since it won't burn."

Nuke66
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#19 Post by Nuke66 »

Till wrote:"Magic Lite? Still too long. Magic... magic... magi? Mag? Mag! Mag Lite. Oh! I got it! How about we call it Maglite"?

lol. you neat me to it, but said it much better than I would have

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

rredmond wrote:The 10 foot wall is makeshift, but sturdy, there are no apparent openings and statues line it.
Elwita, upon realization that there are no apparent exits, begins to vent her frustrations. "What the @#$% are we supposed to do now!?"

After a deep breath, she continues in a slightly more calm manner.

"We only came this way because our only other option was blocked by those blasted ghouls, which our stone friend here cast away with some voodoo." She pauses with regret over her last biting words and quietly whispering in the direction of Karraway's stone form. "No offense."

"Anyway, we didn't want to face them then, when they were under the influence of Karraway's control. Do we really want to deal with them now?"
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Slave Pits of the Undercity”