World Building Discussion

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: World Building Discussion

#41 Post by sulldawga »

The second guy hit the mother lode and was ridiculously overstuffed with magic. I need to find a happy medium. Let me ponder on it.

In the meantime, how about we take away from Character 1 the three treasure maps offering gold in exchange for Armor +3? You can keep the map to the two magic items.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:The second guy hit the mother lode and was ridiculously overstuffed with magic. I need to find a happy medium. Let me ponder on it.

In the meantime, how about we take away from Character 1 the three treasure maps offering gold in exchange for Armor +3? You can keep the map to the two magic items.
Sounds good. What I've been doing in my game is rolling 1d8 whenever a treasure map comes up. On a 1-2 it's some form of writing (books, scrolls, etc.) with some value (based on the treasure map rolled), 3-4 formulae for magic item/potion, 5-6 spell book, 7-8 treasure map.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by thirdkingdom »

Couple more questions for you:

1)What languages are available?
2)Will various Knowledge and Lore skills be handy?

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by sulldawga »

Let me add a little a lot of background before I answer your questions. And I will copy this stuff into its own thread so you have access to it.

Religion in Skyrim is complicated but, suffice to say, there are a group of gods called the Aedra or the Nine Divines. Most races worship the same gods, even if they give them different names. Eight of the Nine Divines existed since the creation of the universe but one, Talos, was believed to be Tiber Septim, the first Emperor who somehow ascended to godhood rather than dying.

The Altmer (high elves) live in a country called the Aldmeri Dominion. The Dominion recently fought the Empire in a war. The Dominion is stronger than the Empire but is unwilling to commit the forces necessary to conquer the Empire so they signed a peace agreement known as the White Gold Concordat (WGC). Part of the agreement is that worship of Talos is banned in the Empire. Talos worship was strong in Skyrim and the worship ban contributed to the Stormcloak uprising against the Empire.

There are several races in Skyrim.
  • Argonians (lizard men). We'll treat them like Thrassians. They are considered second-class citizens because of their animal-like appearance and the typical Nord xenophobia.
  • Bretons (half elves). The Breton homeland is west of Skyrim but some of them had lived in The Reach and briefly took over Markarth, kicking out the Nords. When Ulfric Stormcloak retook Markarth, some Bretons turned into guerrillas and call themselves the Forsworn. They fight to regain the Reach and kick out the Nords.
  • Dunmer (dark elves). Dunmer are not all evil and don't live underground. They are shunned by Stormcloak Nords in Skyrim but it's a racial purity thing, not a good/evil thing.
  • Altmer (high elves). There are "unaffiliated" Altmer that live in Skyrim but most Nords dislike them and the Stormcloaks will usually attack on sight. The Thalmor are the Altmer representatives of the Aldmeri Dominion. Under the terms of the WGC, the Thalmor are allowed to move freely around the Empire and hunt down Talos worshipers. So most Nords assume all Altmer are Thalmor and act accordingly.
  • Imperials (humans) are the native race of Cyrodiil, which is the most civilized province of the Empire.
  • Khajiit are cat people. They are considered second class citizens, like the Argonians, because of their animal-like appearance. They are also stereotyped as thieves and drug dealers, which is sometimes but not always true.
  • Nords (humans) are the native race of Skyrim. They're like Vikings, essentially. Many Nords in eastern Skyrim dislike the Empire because of the Talos worship thing and the racial purity thing. This is where the Stormcloak rebellion comes from, at least from outside appearances.
  • Orsimer (orcs) come from the mountains of Skyrim. They generally are hated/feared by the other races of the Empire but are slowly becoming accepted. They are citizens of the Empire and fought bravely in the Emperor's army against the Aldmeri Dominion. The Nords still hate them tho...
  • Redguard (human) are the native race of Hammerfell, which is a desert province. They are fearsome fighters and actually left the Empire to continue fighting the Aldmeri Dominion, and won! There are few Redguards in Skyrim, as you might expect considering the difference in climate.
  • Bosmer (Wood Elf) come from a province called Valenwood, which was conquered by the Aldmeri Dominion in the war against the Empire. Most Bosmer who remain in the Empire do so because they dislike the Dominion.
  • Dwemer (Dwarves) are a dead race. No one knows what happened to them. They were powerful stonecutters, engineers, and magicians. Their underground cities are scattered around Skyrim.
  • Falmer (kinda Drow) are a sub-race of elves that have been living underground for so long, they've evolved into blind creatures with heightened senses of smell, hearing, and touch. Legend has them enslaved and subverted by the Dwemer and they live mainly in the former Dwemer cities.
So... back to your questions. In Skyrim, everyone speaks Common. Elves and Orsimer speak their own languages but almost all elves and orcs also speak Common so those languages are relatively useless to speak but helpful to read if you find a spellbook or history book. Same with Khajiit and Argonians except their histories are not as relevant to Skyrim. No one speaks Dwemer anymore but reading it can be extremely helpful if you want to read maps or study their history or access some of their fabled engineering and sorcerous skills.

Knowledge proficiencies are no more useful in Skyrim than in any other sandbox. Actually, if you want to learn more about the Dwemer's constructs, having Knowledge (Engineer) would be useful. Loremastery will be very useful, I think, if you go mucking about in old tombs or Dwemer ruins.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by thirdkingdom »

My main henchmen are roughed out with ability scores, saves and proficiencies. I'm going to wait on everything else until I get magic items rolled up. You've already rolled out items for the first hench. When you get a chance could I get some more rolls, please? I'm going to do some horse trading with the items once they're all rolled.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by sulldawga »

Hench B - Fighter
Sword +1, +3 vs dragons
Armor +1
Pair of Handaxes +1
Arrows +1 x12
Wand of Device Negation
Wand of Detecting Metals
Staff of Striking
Ring of Protection +1
Helm of Comprehending Languages

Hench C - Cleric
Sword +1, Light 30' Radius
Sword +1
Shield +1
Shield +2
Shield +1
Spear +1
Arrows +1 x6
Bolts +1 x24
Rod of Cancellation
Ring of Command Plant
Bag of Holding
Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals
Broom of Flying

Hench D - Mage
Sword +1
Sword +1, +3 vs Summoned Creatures
Sword +1, Life Drinker
Armor +1
Shield +1
Armor +1 and Shield +1
Axe+1
Staff of Commanding
Wand of Cold
Wand of Detecting Enemies
Ring of Protection +1
Ring of Protection +1
Girdle of Giant Strength

Hench E - Thief
Sword +1, Flame Tongue
Sword +1, +3 vs Undead
Shield +2
Armor +2 and Shield +2
Shield +2
Spear +1
Sling +1
Dagger +2, +3 vs Beastmen
Wand of Detecting Magic
Staff of the Serpent
Ring of Protection +1
Ring of Protection +2
Ring of Invisibility
Elven Boots
Scarab of Protection
Boat, Folding

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by sulldawga »

I think for the two martial characters, I will roll 2d4 potions each. For the two casters, I will roll 2d4 scrolls.

3 and 3 for six potions
2 clerical scrolls
3 arcane scrolls

Potions of
Healing
Oil of Slipperiness
Flying
Growth
Oil of Sharpness
Fire Resistance

Scroll of Dispel Magic (Divine)
Ward against Lycanthropes

Scroll of Levitate, Cloudkill, and Programmed Illusion
Scroll of Wall of Stone
Ward against Undead

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by thirdkingdom »

Thanks! I'll get all that distributed this weekend and figure out what the lower-tiered henchmen will be, in addition to figuring out army shit. I had originally been thinking about doing an all cavalry army, but am now thinking perhaps about infantry, as the cavalry unit will have greater requirements for supply.

Hmm. Let me think on this a bit.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by thirdkingdom »

WIP

I think what I will do, to make life easy for myself, is just divide up the granted XP among the second tier henchmen. You said I've got 155,000 XP to divide amongst them; what should I do for gold? Should I assume that all the PCs will be equipped out of the 240,000 gp you allotted to my primary character?

Team Fighter under hench #1
6 henchmen (4 fighters, 2 explorers)

Team Cleric under hench #2
6 henchmen (4 clerics, 2 priestesses of healing)

Team Magic-user under hench #3
5 henchmen (all magic-users)

Team Thief under hench #4
5 henchmen (3 thieves, a venturer and a bard).

Here's what I think I would like to do for military forces:

I'm thinking of going with seven units of cavalry, all veteran (I need to suss out the gold, to make sure this works), with one of the units an elite unit under command of the second tier fighter. Each will be under the control of one of my fighter subhenches (the two explorers will each control a unit of mounted archers/light horsemen as scouts). There will be a eighth unit of probably medium horse assigned to the supply train, which will be under the control of one of the clerical henches. Supply train will also act as the healing unit, with the two priestesses and a bunch of healers.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by sulldawga »

If your main had 240k, your main henches will have 120k each.

Everyone below that, we'll assume has their own money but you can't access it.

EDIT: you don't need to pay recruiting costs for your units, and we'll assume the first month's upkeep for everyone (henches and army) are paid. After that, you need to supply everything for them and pay them. You can spin the situation any way you want, can claim you're still regular Army doing the bidding of the Empire, but your troops are mercs at this point, in reality. Very loyal, still consider themselves to be a Legion of the Empire, still love you, but if you don't feed them or pay them or put them in tough situations, their morale will slowly but surely suffer.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by thirdkingdom »

Magic Items

Sword +1, Flame Tongue ("Herebane's Courage") Arfid
Shield +2 ("Herebane's Wall") Arfid
Armor of Choice +3 Arfid (+3 based on getting rid of treasure maps)
Ring of Spell Turning (8 charges) Arfid
Flying Carpet Team Thief
Amulet vs Crystal Balls and ESP Team Thief
Boots of Speed Team Thief
Wand of Fear Team Magic-user
War Hammer +1 Team Cleric
Ring of Fire Resistance Arfid
Potion of Gaseous Form Team ThiefScroll of Ward Against Magic Team Thief
Potion of Dragon Control, Potion of Plant Control, Potion of Giant Control Team Magic-user
Ward against Elementals Team Magic-user
Treasure Map, 2 magic items (x and y) Party treasure
Scroll of Control Undead and Invisible Stalker Team Magic-user
Scroll of Commune. Team cleric
Sword +1, +3 vs dragons Team thief
Armor +1 Pa Tedo
Pair of Handaxes +1 Team fighter
Arrows +1 x12 Team fighter
Wand of Device Negation Team magic-user
Wand of Detecting Metals Team magic-user
Staff of Striking Team cleric
Ring of Protection +1 Team thief?
Helm of Comprehending Languages Arfid

Hench C - Cleric
Sword +1, Light 30' Radius Team Fighter
Sword +1 Team fighter
Shield +1 Team fighter
Shield +2 Team fighter
Shield +1 Team fighter
Spear +1 Team fighter
Arrows +1 x6 Team fighter
Bolts +1 x24 Team thief
Rod of Cancellation Team magic-user
Ring of Command Plant Team magic-user
Bag of Holding Party treasure
Brazier of Commanding Fire Elementals Team magic-user
Broom of Flying Team thief

Hench D - Mage
Sword +1 Team fighter
Sword +1, +3 vs Summoned Creatures Team thief
Sword +1, Life Drinker Team thief
Armor +1 Team thief
Shield +1 Team fighter
Armor +1 and Shield +1
Axe+1 Team fighter
Staff of Commanding Team cleric
Wand of Cold Team magic-user
Wand of Detecting Enemies Team magic-user
Ring of Protection +1 Team magic-user
Girdle of Giant Strength Arfid

Hench E - Thief
Sword +1, Flame Tongue Pa Tedo
Sword +1, +3 vs Undead Team thief
Shield +2 Pa Tedo
Armor +2 and Shield +2 Team cleric
Shield +2 Team cleric or fighter
Spear +1 Team fighter
Sling +1 Team cleric
Dagger +2, +3 vs Beastmen Team thief
Wand of Detecting Magic Team magic-user
Staff of the Serpent Team cleric
Ring of Protection +2 Team magic-user
Ring of Invisibility Team thief
Elven Boots Team thief
Scarab of Protection Arfid
Boat, Folding Party treasure
Last edited by thirdkingdom on Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by thirdkingdom »

Army makeup

Unit One, under the control of First Tier Fighter

30 veteran cataphract troops, total pay of 89 gp per troop, for a total of 2,670 gp/month
30 veteran heavy cavalry, total pay of 74 gp per troop, for a total of 2,200 gp/month
Total of 4,870 gp/month

Unit Two, under control of 1st Second Tier Explorer

30 veteran mounted archers, total pay of 59 gp/month, for a total of 1770 gp/month
30 veteran light cavalry, total pay of 49 gp per month, for a total of 1,470 gp/month
Total of 3,240 gp/month

Unit Three, under control of 2nd Second Tier Explorer

30 veteran mounted archers, total pay of 59 gp/month, for a total of 1770 gp/month
30 veteran light cavalry, total pay of 49 gp per month, for a total of 1,470 gp/month
Total of 3,240 gp/month

Unit Four, under control of 1st Second Tier Fighter
50 veteran medium cavalry, total pay of 2,950 gp per month
10 veteran mounted archers, total pay of 590 gp per month
Total of 3,540 gp/month

Unit Five, under control of 2nd Second Tier Fighter
Total of 3,540 gp/month

Unit Six, under control of 3rd Second Tier Fighter
Total of 3,540 gp/month

Unit Seven, under control of 1st Second Tier Cleric
10 veteran mounted archers, total pay of 590 gp/month
20 veteran light cavalry, total pay of 880 gp/month
30 veteran medium cavalry, total pay of 1,770
Total of 3,240

-------
Total number of mercenary troops: 420
*#of armorers needed: 3 trees of one master, two apprentices and four journeymen. Total cost of 155 for each, total of 465 gp.
*Quartermasters. One per unit, total of 350 gp/month
*Siege engineer. Three total, total of 150 gp/month
*Engineer. One total, total of 250 gp/month
*Healers. Three chirugeons (100x3 gp/month, total of 5 patients/day each), six physikers (50x6 gp per month, 4 patients/day each), nine healers (25 gp/month, total of 3 patients/day each), total of 825 gp/month.

-----------
Total supply train requirements:
Seven units of cavalry: 240 gp/week per unit. Total of 1,680 gp per week. Includes cost of transport and workers.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by sulldawga »

Good stuff. Let me digest all of this and then we can discuss next steps.

Is everyone mounted, even the engineers, healers, etc...? Any supply wagons or just what each trooper can carry? Any tools?

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:Good stuff. Let me digest all of this and then we can discuss next steps.

Is everyone mounted, even the engineers, healers, etc...? Any supply wagons or just what each trooper can carry? Any tools?
1. What are roads like? Would it be easier to assume pack mules?
2. I'm actually thinking about hiring a bunch of workers, too, proactively.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by sulldawga »

There is at least one road between each of the Holds that is paved with stones and wide enough to handle two carts side by side, or three mounted men. About the width of the Roman Roads.

There are other roads here and there that are paved, depending on the terrain. Most of the secondary roads are packed earth. Many tertiary "roads" are mere single file paths.

The advantage to hiring workers now is that you don't need to pay recruitment costs. The downside is that you've got to move them along with your army.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by sulldawga »

Sorry for the delay in my response. Kara has been out of town since Friday and will be gone until this Friday so I've got the twins by myself. Should ease up soon.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by thirdkingdom »

How do you want to handle rolls for the second tier henchmen? I'm fine with assuming average stats in all most scores, or we can roll them out and let me assign.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by sulldawga »

22 henches of henches.

Fighters
I rolled 6d6. If I got a six, I would roll them out. 1-5, we'll assume average stats.
I got one six. Everyone else, we'll assume they're all 11s.
13, 11, 9, 14, 8, 13

Clerics
I rolled 6d6. No 6s.

Mages
I rolled 5d6. One six.
6, 17 (!), 9, 12, 11, 9 What are the odds?

Thieves
I rolled 5d6. Two sixes.
12, 8, 7, 14, 6, 15
10, 10, 7, 15, 12, 10

Again, I rolled those straight up, no adjusting to put higher rolls at DEX.

For any of those that I rolled out, you can take those rolls or take the all 11s. Up to you.

sulldawga
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by sulldawga »

Can we figure out some sort of title for each group of henches? With ~30 different NPCs, it will be easier to say Wizard Dave, his assistant Mage Bob, and Bob's assistant Sorceror Ed, rather than just Dave, Bob, and Ed.

Are you going to name the Legion? I've been reading up on ancient Roman warfare so forgive me if I'm going overboard.

thirdkingdom
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by thirdkingdom »

sulldawga wrote:Can we figure out some sort of title for each group of henches? With ~30 different NPCs, it will be easier to say Wizard Dave, his assistant Mage Bob, and Bob's assistant Sorceror Ed, rather than just Dave, Bob, and Ed.

Are you going to name the Legion? I've been reading up on ancient Roman warfare so forgive me if I'm going overboard.
Yes and yes. I am also going to request a crest in the thread on rpg.net

Return to “The Rim of the Sky (ACKS)”