Tante Yvana's House of Herbs and Elixirs (11)

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

Tante Yvana's House of Herbs and Elixirs (11)

#1 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Here you are Urson.

The gypsy has arrived. :D

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Tante Yvana's House of Herbs and Elixirs (11)

#2 Post by Urson »

Tante Yvana.jpg
Tante Yvana.jpg (92.18 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Tante Yvana is a Romany (gypsy) woman, who appears to be in her 30's She runs the 'House, a shop that specializes in herbs, cooking spices, herbal remedies, and the bits and pieces that spellcasters need for their material components.

The shop is spotless, and has that thick spicy odor you associate with herbalists. It's set up like the old general stores, with all of the goods behind a counter. You tell Yvana what you need and she gets it for you. She also buys bulk herbs and plants, mostly from kids needing pocket money. Occasionally, she will post a request for a specific product. She has food spices and flavorings, dried plant parts for dye making, colored powders, resins, spiderwebs, dried animal parts, etc ad infinitum.

She also sells herbal healing potions, poisons and antidotes, healing poultices, and charms of all sorts- love, luck, protection, etc. She has a lot of what we would consider 'New Age' stuff- lucky crystals, dreamcatchers, wishing stones, smokeweed, pipes, and so forth. She has a small selection of blank spell books, parchment, inks, and quill pens of the type mages use.
In the center of the floor is a small table with a cantalope-sized crystal ball, covered with a ragged piece of purple silk. Yvana will do fortunetelling if asked.

Tante Yvana is reputed to be a witch. She doesn't claim to be, but she doesn't deny it, either. A few years back, she was almost lynched when a few local farmers had a bad run of hoof-and-mouth disease among their cattle. Cooler and wiser heads prevailed, but some still blame her whenever anything bad happens.

Demon: Yvana keeps a gigantic black cat she calls Demon. He's as big as a Border Collie, glossy black, with golden eyes that almost glow. He roams the neighborhood at will, but never enters any building other than the House of Herbs.
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by hedgeknight »

Refreshed after a good night's sleep and hot food, Burly makes his way to the House of Herbs and Elixirs and knocks to see if they are open at this early hour. (He's always up before the crack of dawn; years of training as a baker's son.)
His goal today is to purchase a blank book or journal for copying some of his granny's charms. He also hopes to use it to further his study of the arcane.
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Urson »

Tante Yvana opens the shop door, a mug of some foul-smelling green stuff in one hand. Demon pushes out past her, purring loud enough to sound like a cart passing on the cobblestone street.

Yes, my child? What can Tante Yvana do for you this early morning?

She leads Burly into the shop and slips behind the counter. A blank book? These I have, in plenty. You will also need a quill and ink, I think?

A sturdy, but unremarkable book is laid out on the counter, along with a small bottle of iron-gall ink and a goosefeather quill. Shall we say 2 silver coins?
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly nods, trying not to stare at the handsome woman, as he quickly counts out two silver.
"M-madam Yvana > you have all the materials needed for spellcasting...could you recommend an arcane teacher for me? I-I know some simple charms, but I would like to know more, you know, real spells. Someone told me of a woman named Ezmeralda offering to teach young spellcaster like myself, but I was wondering if there was someone else you would recommend?"
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Urson »

Yvana nods, sipping at the horrid-smelling brew. Ezmeralda is a skilled teacher, and I would not hesitate to study wit her. Why would you hesitate, boy? Are you afraid of de old witch? She grins.

Is there someting else you need? A lucky crystal? A healing poultice? A love charm, perhaps? Or a potion to keep your manhood rampant when you have charmed the lady you desire?
FA FO

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Burly's face turns crimson at the gypsy's suggestive questions and he stammers and stutters and finally says, "No thank you."
He thanks Madam Yvana, pays her, and leaves.
Winter is coming...

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Urson »

The gypsy chuckles as Burly leaves.
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#9 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

The young acolyte of Shileil enters the herbalist's shop, savoring the smells of the fresh plants and flowers. He looks around at the wares, not having a clue as to where to begin, and politely inquires, "Hello, Madame Yvana?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Urson »

Yvana is standing at the counter, petting her monstrous cat. Just Tante Yvana, young sir. Welcome, and what can I interest you in?
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#11 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

Slightly taken back by the size of the cat, Keilif stammers, "Oh, yes, Tante Yvana it is. I'm sorry I'm a little at a loss here. I am looking for some plants or herbs that might possess healing qualities. I am a man of the sea, and I know a few weeds that grow in the oceans that possess such abilities, but I know of none that grow on land. Do you have anything that may fit that description? Sorry, I have very little coin." Keilif looks at the floor as he mentions his lack of monies, and his uncertainty is evident.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Urson »

You seek healing plants? Do you wish to buy healing potions, or would you prefer to buy the plants to compound your own? I have both, of course. And if you have sharp eyes, we can make a deal to pay for what you want.

Yvana has woundwort to stop bleeding, willow bark for aches and pains, pennyroyal to ward off insects, and St John's wort to speed wound healing, plus various healing potions and poultices.
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#13 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif:

"I lack the skill to compound my own elixirs and poultices for healing, so I suppose I would like a potion. As I mentioned, I am short on coin, but I consider myself to possess a keen eye. I used to be the one to stand at the bow and keep an eye out for the reefs while out crabbing with my uncle. Do you think you can help?" Keilif looks at the herbalist hopefully.

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Urson »

Of course, young sir. I am always looking for someone to gather plants for me. Once we have settled what you want- and how much- zen I will tell you what I need, and where it is likely to be found.
Do you just wish one potion? I have many for sale- along with many other fine products: cooking spices, components for the wizards to cast their spells, poisons- and their antidotes, charms, amulets, whatever a young man might need.

Yvana smiles warmly as she says this, and gestures to the shelves behind her- full of jars, small bins, boxes, bundles of dried weeds, and too many other things to name.
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#15 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif returns the woman's warm smile with one of his own, "Thank you kindly, ma'am...I mean Tante Yvana. I would like a couple of potions of healing and a poison antidote if you can supply such. I will be more than happy to gather and return any plants you request. What would you have me collect?"

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Urson »

Suddenly, Yvana is all business. She fetches a basket, a small shovel, and a pair of shears, along with a few sheets of vellum that have plants drawn on them.

This is the cattail. I need the basket filled with the tubers they grow from. I need a bundle of willow twigs- at least 50, none bigger around than my finger. If you find any of these pitcher plants, there is a jar in the basket- pour the liquid out of the pitchers into the jar. If you see any of these horsetails, cut them off at the ground and fetch me the whole plant- leave the root so they will grow back.
And be back before full dark when I close the doors. The moon is right tonight, so I have a place I must go.
cattail.jpg
cattail.jpg (22.17 KiB) Viewed 873 times
pitcher-plant-m.jpg
pitcher-plant-m.jpg (28.34 KiB) Viewed 873 times
horsetail.jpg
horsetail.jpg (24.57 KiB) Viewed 873 times
Ogre Mage gave me the go ahead to run this as a mini- sidequest, so I'll need 5 4d6 die rolls (separate rolls, of course), and a percentile roll.
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#17 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif graciously accepts his task, although the young acolyte is somewhat intimidated by what is set before him, "Thank you Tante Yvana. I will set off right away, and I shall return before dark as you requested. Do you have any suggestions where I should begin my search?

OGRE MAGE
First Gentleman
First Gentleman

#18 Post by OGRE MAGE »

Ah yes. The "random" die roller strikes again? :roll: :D

Urson
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Urson »

13 is lucky enough- you won't get hopelessly lost in the swamps.

Yvana shrugs. Anywhere in the swamps will have the cattails. Most of the willow trees grow north of the river, along the swamp's edge.
FA FO

Mant72
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#20 Post by Mant72 »

Keilif thanks the herbalist, and leaves for the swamps. The young cleric is no woodsman, and he is quite nervous about treading into the marsh by himself. He bolsters his courage, telling himself that this is for the group, and one of these potions Tante Yvana provides might just save a life.

Return to “U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh (1e)”